test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My problems with TRIBBLE

Comments

• talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    I guess @badmoonrisin or another mod missed the request but as the threas creator, I once again request cease transmission(IE SHUT THE THREAD DOWN).
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    i don't remember the Harry Mudd appearance on TNG, or DS9, or Voyager. Please refresh my memory there. Also which major characters in any of those other shows was a direct family relative of a member of the original crew? I'll wait...

What are the odds of an ancestor of Noonian Soong being involved in an augment plot during the ENT era or of three notable KDF captains from the TOS era featuring in DS9 (some for multiple episodes)? Worf's grandfather defended Kirk and McCoy during their trial in Undiscovered Country. Matt Decker's son was slated to command the Enterprise prior to Kirk's involvement with TMP. Sulu's daughter (surprise, he has a daughter) helmed the Enterprise B. Also note the involving of Darvin (Harry Mudd style) for a full retcon of Trouble with Tribbles with the thinnest of openings, two characters from TNG starring in DS9, the full replication of Naked Time in TNG, and the miscellaneous cameos that aren't exactly likely given the timescales involved and scale of the Federation (ex. the plot contrivances required to bring Kirk and Scotty into the TNG era.) And of course let's not forget there being a highly improbable (according to internal logic) reboot of TOS to take referencing a past series to the ultimate (including the second cameo of Spock himself in a latter Star Trek production.)

Star Trek has never been shy about using its own material or expanding on characters through subsequent series, and the bar for acceptability was set much lower than the passes made by Discovery.
    One of my favorites was how Spock indirectly mind-melded with Sarek via Picard.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    I'm sorry this isn't all one big "oh god we all hate ST:D" thread like you wanted, talon, but why should the devs shut down an ongoing (and relatively calm) discussion just because you don't want to participate any more?
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    because the thread belongs to him and he has the right to shut it down any time for any reason​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    because the thread belongs to him and he has the right to shut it down any time for any reason​​

Terms of Service
    • 16.2: "User Content posted to the Website is publicly available and not confidential, and will become the sole property of PWE."
    • 16.5: "Although we have no obligation to screen, edit or monitor any of the User Content, we reserve the right, and have absolute discretion, to remove, screen or edit any User Content posted or stored at any time and for any reason without notice."
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    which means jack s*it - it's his thread, he can request closure if he wants, just like the thousands of other people who did so in the past have done​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    Well, the mods aren't required to close it just because he asked.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited August 2018
    which means jack s*it - it's his thread, he can request closure if he wants, just like the thousands of other people who did so in the past have done​​

From community guidelines, per the terms of service:

"None of your postings will be subject to any obligation, whether of confidentiality, attribution or otherwise, on our part and we will not be liable for any use or disclosure thereof. All of your postings are granted to us with perpetual electronic publishing rights because any content posted on this community becomes a part of the community, even if you no longer are. You may request an item to be removed at any time, but we will decide when and if to remove content from our community."
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    My biggest problem with DSC, is that we have to wait until January for more episodes.
    eldarion79 wrote: »
    My biggest problem with DSC, is that we have to wait until January for more episodes.

Hey, there's AoD this fall. ;)
  • redvengeredvenge Member Posts: 1,425 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Who said you hated Disco?
    You did, remember?
    And if you hate Disco as badly as you seem to
    Your every post on the topic - pushing weird conspiracy theories where the show supposedly stole all its major plot elements from an unreleased video game
    "Conspiracy theories"? What "conspiracy"? No one is trying to blow the UN. Aliens are not going to abduct the US president. Bigfoot is not lobbying for harsher gun control laws. You are just being insulting here.

Someone who has seen the script of Star Trek:Discovery thinks it is plausible that that major plot points could be lifted from another source because the current TRIBBLE setting and plot differs drastically from what he read. That isn't a "conspiracy" It's an opinion. One you don't like because it casts a bad light on TRIBBLE's hack writers (they don't need any help, they can do that all on their own).
    expressing dismay at the very idea that elements from the show might make it into STO in any way whatsoever,
    I don't care if TRIBBLE content makes it into STO. I said that already. You keep making things up. Like how I "apparently hate TRIBBLE".
    all of your ranting in here... It doesn't exactly take a Ph.D. in psychology to get the drift of your posts.
    So, you state "who said you hated Star Trek: Discovery?" then you play armchair psychologist (in an incredibly smug way) obliquely accusing me of hating TRIBBLE. So again, I do not hate TRIBBLE. YOU continue to imply or allude to me hating it, which is false.
    If you don't like the older stuff either, then a) why b*tch about it? and b) that leaves you not liking any Trek - why are you here?
    I already answered you:
    redvenge wrote: »
    I hate bad writing. Star Trek: Discovery has sloppy writing. It is bad in places, but mostly sloppy. Star Trek: Discovery can improve, with more oversight and leadership in the writing room. I doubt that is going to happen, but I will continue to point out issues hoping they might improve.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    redvenge wrote: »
    expressing dismay at the very idea that elements from the show might make it into STO in any way whatsoever,
    I don't care if TRIBBLE content makes it into STO. I said that already.

My bigger issue is how Picard's new series will affect STO. STO has already established a timeline that overlaps the same time Picard's new series will be set. My personal hope is that the Picard series and STO are in parallel universes so the Picard series doesn't follow the timeline established by STO or STO has to make a few changes to the game like removing the Klingon-Federation War from the game if there is no Klingon-Federation War in the series.

More likely they'll just add a Picard NPC to Vulcan. :p
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    More likely they'll just add a Picard NPC to Vulcan. :p

Obviously, the new Picard series will affect STO in some way since we already had the Terminal Expanse mission and the Kelvin Timeline Lockbox and we are getting Age of Discovery. However, there is a huge difference between the devs adding something new to the game and having to change huge portions of the game.
    starkaos wrote: »
    STO has already established a timeline that overlaps the same time Picard's new series will be set.

There's a ten year gap, from what we've heard with the Picard series happening first. That is a sizable buffer which I think should be able to handle most changes.
    STO has already established a timeline that overlaps the same time Picard's new series will be set.

There's a ten year gap, from what we've heard with the Picard series happening first. That is a sizable buffer which I think should be able to handle most changes.

STO has the Path to 2409 which covers every year since Nemesis. So if they pick 2399 to set the Picard series, then there needs to be a Klingon-Gorn War in the series and has to follow the previous events established by STO's timeline to have a connection to STO. Every event laid out in STO's timeline during the Picard series run will have to happen.

It is far easier for the creators of any new Star Trek series to create their own content and STO creates its own content without worrying about the other party. The creators of the Picard series should be able to create the story they want without having their hands tied by STO.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    azrael605 wrote: »
    For what its worth, Executive Producer Michael Chabon on the Picard series tweeted what he said was a "state of the galaxy" map for the series, notably Earth and Quonos but not Romulus are shown.

Ooh. Finally, canonical fallout from the destruction of Romulus.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!

STO has the Path to 2409 which covers every year since Nemesis. So if they pick 2399 to set the Picard series...
    Patrick said something about 2499 in his reveal, I think; on the other hand, the official press release said it was set "twenty years after TNG", which would put it safely in 2490, ten years before the Path begins, and twenty years before the game.

Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Yes, I did, thanks. That's what I get for trying to type before coffee and while the kids want breakfast.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png

STO has the Path to 2409 which covers every year since Nemesis. So if they pick 2399 to set the Picard series...
    Patrick said something about 2499 in his reveal, I think; on the other hand, the official press release said it was set "twenty years after TNG", which would put it safely in 2490, ten years before the Path begins, and twenty years before the game.

The Path to 2409 begins in 2380 right after Nemesis so 2390 would be 10 years after the Path begins.

According to the STO Wiki:

• Praetor Shinzon aboard the I.R.W. Scimitar faces the U.S.S. Enterprise (NCC-1701-E) , commanded by Captain Jean-Luc Picard. Aided by Commander Donatra and her ship, the I.R.W. Valdore, the Enterprise defeats the Scimitar. Sacrificing himself, Lieutenant Commander Data succeeds in destroying the vessel and its thalaron generator.
    • The Romulan government falls into disarray following the death of Praetor Shinzon. Tal'aura is now the self-appointed Praetor of the Romulan Star Empire, supported by Fleet Commander Tomalak, but opposed by Commander Donatra.
    • The Remans, represented by Colonel Xiomek of the Kepeszuk Battalion, demand a new location on which Remans may settle and live independently, but are met with resistance from Tal'aura.
      The above events seem to be inspired by, if not taken directly from, the A Time To... and Star Trek: Titan
      series of Star Trek novels.
    • Captain William T. Riker assumes command of the U.S.S. Titan, while Beverly Crusher briefly serves as head of Starfleet Medical before returning to the Enterprise.
    • Stardate 56867.84: The Female Changeling that led the Dominion War is sentenced for crimes committed against sentient beings and committed to the Federation maximum security facility at Ananke Alpha.
    • The Federation funds the Andak project, which is met with resistance from certain xenophobic groups, but supported by governmental adviser Elim Garak. The project aims to transform the barren desert climate of Cardassia Prime into an environment that can support sufficient crops to feed its population.
    • Experts at the Daystrom Institute predict that the Cardassian Union could fall in as little as three years without more successful projects such as the Andak project.
    • Stardate 58370.4: Ro Laren surrenders herself to Starfleet authorities, pleads guilty to charges of desertion and defection to the Maquis, and is ordered to serve time at a penal facility on Earth.

• While monitoring the deteriorating state of the Romulan Star Empire, the United Federation of Planets offers humanitarian aid to both Romulus and Remus.
    • Xiomek allies with Ambassador Spock's Unification movement on Romulus, seeing it as another population that has been exploited by the Romulan government. On stardate 59480.33, Spock presents a formal request for aid for the Unification movement to the Federation Council; the latter agrees to take the matter under consideration.
    • Commander Donatra and her military forces conquer several agricultural worlds in Romulan space, declaring herself the first empress of the Imperial Romulan State. She establishes a capital on Achernar Prime.
    • The Bajoran Coalition, which demands the extradition of several Cardassian government and military officials to stand trial for crimes against sentient beings having taken place during the Bajoran Occupation as well as the Dominion War, requests assistance from the Federation Council and the Klingon High Council.
    • Captain Jean-Luc Picard is appointed by Starfleet to lead the defense against the possible threat of renewed Borg activity in the Alpha Quadrant, including the possibility of a new Borg Queen being recreated. Seven of Nine is called upon to assist in the research of the uses of the technology brought back from the Delta Quadrant by the U.S.S. Voyager to combat or defend against the Borg.
    • Stardate 58839.03: Construction of the U.S.S. Stargazer-A commences at the San Francisco Fleet Yards. The Stargazer-A and her sister ships will be the first of a new class of starships designed for scientific research and exploration.

• The takeover of several agricultural planets by the Imperial Romulan State now threatens Romulus with severe food shortages, while the cessation of slave labor on Remus hampers power plant and factory output. Praetor Tal'aura reluctantly accepts food shipments from the Federation, but refuses its offer to mediate negotiations between herself and Empress Donatra, citing it as an internal Romulan matter.
    • Fleet Commander Tomalak, in his attempt at retaking the planets in possession of Donatra, appoints Admiral Taris as his second-in-command and orders her to re-organize and mobilize Romulus' remaining military forces.
    • Tal'aura reforms the Romulan Senate, appointing her supporters as senators. She declines to respond to requests for representation from both the Unification movement and the Remans. The Line of Tellus denounces Tal'aura publically and withdraws its members from government service.
    • The Klingon Empire takes advantage of the weakened state of Romulus by initiating strikes into Romulan space. They retake the Khitomer sector, a move criticized by the Federation Council, but defended by Ambassador K'mtok.
      Councilor T'Los of Vulcan warns the Federation Council of the unpredictable outcome of a Vulcan/Romulan reunification; however, the council does not reach an official decision on whether to support the movement and votes to table the issue.
    • Stardate 60334.46: Admiral Owen Paris of Starfleet Research and Development orders that the U.S.S. Voyager Doctor's mobile emitter be taken to the Starfleet facility on Galor IV for study. The Doctor files a lawsuit in response; the office of the Judge Advocate General issues an injunction against the transfer of the mobile emitter until the case can be studied further.
    • The Bajoran Coalition continues its urging of the extradition of several Cardassian government and military officials; however, hundreds of the aforementioned Cardassian officials seemingly vanish from Cardassia Prime, which is seen as an attempt to assist fugitives.
    • Ro Laren completes her sentence in the Federation penal colony and returns to Bajor. She accepts a commission in the Bajoran militia and is appointed head of security for Deep Space Nine.

• Praetor Tal'aura imposes limits on replicator use and food rationing on Romulus in an attempt to preserve precious resources for the support of the campaign against Empress Donatra and her Imperial Romulan State.
    • Rioting ensues in the capital of Ki Baratan due to the shortages, lasting several days. Tal'aura orders several military troops to intervene, resulting as many as 2,000 deaths from either rioting or military intervention.
    • Tal'aura is granted several privileges by the Senate, including the ability to declare war without Senate approval.
    • Ambassador Spock returns to Romulus and the Unification movement, which vows to continue to "wage peace" on Romulus.
    • Stardate 60900.31: Fleet Commander Tomalak attacks Donatra's fleet at Xanitla, but his forces are defeated in the battle. Admiral Taris and the twelve vessels under her command then defect to the Imperial side.
    • The Cardassian government signs a new agreement with the Federation, which will provide aid and relief. The reconstruction of Lakarian City begins, while a resurgence of interest in ancient lore among Cardassians is set off by several archaeological discoveries on the world.
    • The Oralians start to hold services openly and seek followers among the population, both of which were previously outlawed by the Cardassian Union. The True Way continues to call for a return to a totalitarian state.
    • The Klingon Empire and the Federation are in disagreement over the morality concerning the former's takeover of Khitomer. The Federation Council decides not to formally censure the empire for its miliary action; however, the mere fact that the Council voted on the matter is enough for Qo'noS to temporarily recall its ambassador to the Federation.
    • Several Klingon High Council members demand that Chancellor Martok banish all Federation ambassadors from Klingon space. Martok refuses, causing Councilor Qolka to challenge him in (and subsequently lose) a duel of honor to the death.
    • Rear Admiral James Bennett of the Starfleet Judge Advocate General's office rules that the Data Decision is too narrow to be used in the case of The Doctor's mobile emitter transfer request. The Doctor is found to not be the property of Starfleet, but his sentience is left for another discussion. The Doctor's counsel appeals the decision, further prolonging the case.
      (See TNG: The Measure Of A Man and VOY: Author, Author)
    • The Soong Foundation, a group affiliated with the Daystrom Institute, announces that it will commence research into creating a mobile holographic emitter of its own design with the intention of adapting it for civilian use.
    • Geordi LaForge is promoted to command the U.S.S. Challenger.

• Federation analysts predict that the Romulan Star Empire is vulnerable to internal and external attacks due to the shakeup in the Romulan power structure. Starfleet dispatches additional ships to the Neutral Zone border.
      Praetor Tal'aura removes Tomalak from his position as proconsul. Sela is chosen to succeed him as her right hand and fleet commander. Tomalak is allowed to retire to his rural estates on Romulus.
    • Tal'aura reluctantly agrees to negotiations with Empress Donatra's Imperial Romulan Senate to determine the location of a neutral zone, but rejects the Federation's offer to mediate the talks. Admiral Taris is sent to the Romulan capitol as Donatra's representative.
    • Stardate 61602.00: Tal'aura is found dead in her chambers. Tal Shiar investigations reveal that the praetor was attacked in her sleep. Many groups on Romulus are accused of the crime, including: an alliance of the noble houses; the Tal Shiar; and agents working for Empress Donatra (who denies any involvement in the murder). At Tal'aura's funeral, Sela publicly blames the Remans and the Unification movement for the assassination.
    • Stardate 61829.83: The IKS Quv is attacked by a Gorn ship. Two hundred and seven Klingons perish in the battle. According to King Xrathis of the Gorn Hegemony, the warship commander was acting without orders. After Xrathis refuses to surrender the survivors of the Quv to the Klingon Empire, Chancellor Martok expels the Gorn's diplomats from the empire and orders ships to the Klingon/Gorn border.
    • Bajor's renewed application for membership within the Federation is accepted. The Ferengi open an embassy and gift shop near Quark's on Deep Space Nine in anticipation of increased traffic and commerce resulting from Federation membership.
    • Odo, acting as the Great Link's ambassador to the solids, meets with Laas on Koralis III. Odo invites Laas to return with him to the Great Link, but his offer is refused, and Laas instead chooses to continue his search for more of the "hundred" changelings in the Alpha and Beta Quadrants.
    • Starfleet transfers the Soong-type android B-4 to the custody of the Soong Foundation in the hopes that his full positronic functioning can be restored.

• After reevaluating all of its post-Dominion War assets and resources, Starfleet Command announces that it will re-focus various starships, changing their missions from defense and diplomacy to exploration and scientific discovery. Among the re-assigned ships is the U.S.S. Enterprise-E.
    • Stardate 62230.13: The Klingon Empire announces that all non-Klingons must leave Khitomer within 14 standard days as a "safety measure". Captain Jean-Luc Picard convinces Chancellor Martok to extend the deadline and leads a contingent of ships to assist in the evacuation of former residents to Federation colonies.
    • Captain Picard resigns his Starfleet commission. After a brief sabbatical in France, Picard accepts a position as Federation ambassador to Vulcan.
    • Beverly Crusher accepts the position of captain of the USS Pasteur, an Olympic-class medical starship. Her first task is to assist with the Cardassia Prime rebuilding efforts.
    • Geordi La Forge requests a long-term leave of absence from Starfleet to work on personal projects, including plans to build and test his own starship designs.
    • Stardate 62782.91: The Soong Foundation, with the help of Geordi La Forge, unlocks the "Data matrix," which is the entire personality and being of Data, who had transferred this information into B-4 before his death in the Battle of Bassen Rift.
    • The Data persona takes over B-4 rudimentary programming and assists the Soong Foundation in upgrading the positronic brain and recreating Dr. Noonien Soong's emotion chip. The foundation reports that their work will be completed in a matter of months.
    • Worf also resigns his commission in Starfleet, serving in a diplomatic role to ease the tensions between Klingons and the Federation. He returns to Qo'noS to become lead ambassador and begins a relationship with Grilka.
    • The USS Enterprise-E is assigned to the Utopia Planitia shipyards for en extensive refit. The Starfleet Corps of Engineers reports that the refit will require at least one year to complete; the ship will be used as a testbed for breakthrough technology, among which is the advanced sensor array first installed on Luna-class starships, which will be retrofitted onto other classes of ships.
    • Starfleet Command decides to dismantle its Borg task force after over two years of no Borg activity in Federation space, believing that the U.S.S. Voyager caused more damage to the Borg than initially speculated.
    • Annika Hansen publically speaks out against this action, calling it foolish and premature and leaving her role with Starfleet in protest. She accepts an offer to continue her research at the Daystrom Institute.

Even Picard's history after Nemesis is laid out in STO lore.
    • 2381: Picard is appointed to lead the defense against the renewed Borg threat. He enlists Seven of Nine to assist with the efforts.
    • 2385: Picard and the Enterprise lead efforts to evacuate Federation citizens from Khitomer when the Klingon Empire expels all non-Klingons. Later that year, Picard resigns his commission in Starfleet and becomes the Federation ambassador to Vulcan.
    • 2386: Picard is among those who testify on Data's behalf, leading to Starfleet Command's decision to reinstate the android's Starfleet commission.
    • 2387: Ambassador Picard, along with Spock, appeal to the Vulcan High Council to help the Romulans save their home planet from destruction; the Vulcans refuse. Picard contacts Geordi La Forge for assistance.
    • 2389: Picard works to repair relations between the Vulcans and the rest of the Federation, following the revelation that they had refused to help the Romulans. He also offers to mediate peace talks between the Klingon Empire and the Gorn Hegemony, but the offer is refused by King Slathis. Picard eventually drafts a border treaty that would be accepted by the Gorn, if a Gorn team were to lose a game of baseball against the Pike City Pioneers. When the game abruptly ends with the revelation that the Gorn had been infiltrated by Undine, it is believed that Picard convinces the Gorn's allies - the Romulans, Breen, Tzenkethi, and Kinshaya - to pressure the Gorn into accepting Federation mediation. (The Needs of the Many)

That is just from 2380 to 2385 and each year is full of lore. There is just no way that the creators of the new Picard series are able to create their own story and having STO set 20 years in the future. It is better for the creators of the new Picard series just discard all the STO lore and take inspiration from STO if necessary. After all, it is far easier to create a sequel to Nemesis than it is to create a prequel to STO where a ton of lore is already laid out.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Why would they respect STO in the first place? It's just a game, games are non-canonical. The show writes the canon going forward. STO will retain it's story but may incorporate bits and pieces of the new shows.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    angrytarg wrote: »
    Why would they respect STO in the first place? It's just a game, games are non-canonical. The show writes the canon going forward. STO will retain it's story but may incorporate bits and pieces of the new shows.

Because some fans believe that STO is part of the Prime Universe when it is strictly limited to only TV series and movies. STO and the novels are set in parallel universes and not part of the Prime Universe.
    angrytarg wrote: »

Because some fans believe that STO is part of the Prime Universe when it is strictly limited to only TV series and movies. STO and the novels are set in parallel universes and not part of the Prime Universe.
    Slight modification - they're part of the Prime Timeline until they're not. There are quite a few of the old Trek novels (I mean back in the day, like '70s and early '80s) that could be slotted into the last two years of Kirk's initial assignment aboard Enterprise, because there's nothing in later canon that contradicts them. Similarly, STO is Prime until Disco or one of the new shows contradicts it, at which point STO either adjusts its history (easy enough - it's been done several times already, after all) or becomes an alternate timeline.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png