test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

CBS All Access, $99. DSC Blu Rays, $43.27 on Prime

usskentuckyusskentucky Member Posts: 402 Arc User
Loved the show. Just cancelled my subscription because there’s nothing on there but reality shows and legal dramas I don’t watch. Wonder when all these new Trek shows will launch?

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    Or join for one month, watch the season, then cancel. Perfectly legal and CBS only get $10.
  • usskentuckyusskentucky Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    Not a bad idea
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    Or just watch TRIBBLE on Netflix.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    If he's in the US... he's really got no choice as CBS elected to ONLY allow it on CBS All Access in the United States. Canada and other countries can go through Netflix.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    rattler2 wrote: »
    If he's in the US... he's really got no choice as CBS elected to ONLY allow it on CBS All Access in the United States. Canada and other countries can go through Netflix.

Didn't know that. Pretty douche move, really, to get you to sign up for All Access, just to watch 1 series.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    Yep, I'm in the US and I definitely don't want to reward CBS for being jerks instead of licensing to Netflix or Amazon Prime.

You can get a 7-day free trial of CBS All Access through Amazon Prime as an add-on channel, so if you binge and then cancel you could even watch the season for $0. Then wait until the end of season 2 and join for 1 month and see all of that for $10.
    I'll watch it at my Dad's place. He's got All Access so... if there are no movies worth watching we got Discovery.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Isn't there supposed to be new Star Trek series coming out with all of them limited to CBS All Access?
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Canada does not have it on Netflix, its on Space there. As for All Access, I've been subscribed since before Discovery came out, and I have no intention of cancelling, and I watch a lot more than Discovery.

And in the Netherlands you can't even sign up for CBS All Access (I tried before, but their website says you need to be a US citizen). So, when Picard's new show comes, I may be in trouble. Unless Netflix'd be willing to carry that too, of course.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Hilarious price.
    edited August 2018
    > Heaven forbid a company tries to make money off their property....

Netflix, Amazon Prime and Hulu all pay to license their content. CBS just figured they could make more money off of Trek fans by getting them to pay $10 a month for one show.

That's their right, and it's my right to then subscribe for one month a year to see the content for $10 instead of $120.
  • khan5000khan5000 Member Posts: 3,007 Arc User
    The future TV is streaming. This is why you are seeing more and more companies creating streaming services with exclusive series on them.
    Your pain runs deep.
    Let us explore it... together. Each man hides a secret pain. It must be exposed and reckoned with. It must be dragged from the darkness and forced into the light. Share your pain. Share your pain with me... and gain strength from the sharing.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    khan5000 wrote: »
    The future TV is streaming. This is why you are seeing more and more companies creating streaming services with exclusive series on them.

Which makes it extremely funny and sad that Disney sold the streaming rights to the Star Wars movies until 2024. So Disney has the rights to stream Star Wars IX on their upcoming streaming service, but not any of the other Star Wars movies for the next few years.
    valoreah wrote: »
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Didn't know that. Pretty douche move, really, to get you to sign up for All Access, just to watch 1 series.

Heaven forbid a company tries to make money off their property....

Yes, Heaven forbid. Remember a time when Trek series were just aired? And companies didn't try and tie it to an extra subscription to this or that access? We live in the Trump era, though, where one must always exploit ppl to the max.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Yes, Heaven forbid. Remember a time when Trek series were just aired?

Indeed, though I could never get the broadcasts on my blank wall. Seems like CBS was in cahoots with the hardware companies to deny me my right to commercial television.

And don't get me started about cable. My house had cables in it, why couldn't I watch Shark Week!
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    My house had cables in it, why couldn't I watch Shark Week!

Or Punkin' Chunkin'!
    Everyone loves launching pumpkins from siege weapons!
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Yeah, public TV was never free.
    valoreah wrote: »
    Yes, Heaven forbid. Remember a time when Trek series were just aired? And companies didn't try and tie it to an extra subscription to this or that access? We live in the Trump era, though, where one must always exploit ppl to the max.

President Trump has nothing to do with it. And television was never free.

Nor did I say television was free. But we never had to get an extra subscription to see a Trek series.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • descuffphoenixdescuffphoenix Member Posts: 4 New User
    Last time I waited till the finale was near to binge watch it. I'm not paying for a whole service I won't use. (If it was FOX, it'd be a different story). Save your money.
  • descuffphoenixdescuffphoenix Member Posts: 4 New User
    > @meimeitoo said:
    > valoreah wrote: »
    >
    > meimeitoo wrote: »
    >
    > Yes, Heaven forbid. Remember a time when Trek series were just aired? And companies didn't try and tie it to an extra subscription to this or that access? We live in the Trump era, though, where one must always exploit ppl to the max.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > President Trump has nothing to do with it. And television was never free.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Nor did I say television was free. But we never had to get an extra subscription to see a Trek series.

You had to pay a cable bill to be able to have access to a collection of shows. This concept is similar.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Nor did I say television was free. But we never had to get an extra subscription to see a Trek series.

Unless you happened to live outside UPN's television market, had poor reception to the nearest station (for UPN or CBS, depending), or simply missed the original broadcast. Re-runs were not ad Infinium and I've personally found more consistent coverage over the years through cable TV. It's subscription services which has made Trek more accessible over recent years (allowing all series to be browsed without the fantastic expense of owning every season box set.)

Yes, you can comment that the airing format has changed,, but that's entirely descriptive.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!

Unless you happened to live outside UPN's television market, had poor reception to the nearest station (for UPN or CBS, depending), or simply missed the original broadcast. Re-runs were not ad Infinium and I've personally found more consistent coverage over the years through cable TV. It's subscription services which has made Trek more accessible over recent years (allowing all series to be browsed without the fantastic expense of owning every season box set.)

Yes, you can comment that the airing format has changed,, but that's entirely descriptive.

I live in the Netherlands. Cable television has been around as long as I live. But it was always 1 subscription, to 1 cable company, with like 200 stations. Maybe things are different in the US, but I've always seen every Trek movie, series, just using the 1 (local) cable company subscription. I'm not liking this new trend where it's becoming commonplace to pay a separate subscription for each and every series you want to watch.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • usskentuckyusskentucky Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    And commercials are brainwashing instruments used by multi-billion dollar corporations and political organizations to oppress the people. #streamlife
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

^^^
    That's why they plan to do more Star Trek related series. I doubt these series will be airing 'new/first run' episodes concurrently with each other - CBS will stagger release so there's 'new' Star Trek across multiple series year round on CBSAA, giving Star Trek fans a reason to stay subbed year round.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."