test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

IP Law/Harmony Gold rambling

2»

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Meh... odds are Harmony Gold will just lose it all. But I bet JUST before the contract ends, they'll try suing for ownership because its their main souce of income to sue people over mechs. Without Robotech, they have nothing to sue people over.
    Yeah, renewing the contract would require them to successfully negotiate with the IP owner. For obvious reasons that is unlikely.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • lordrezeonlordrezeon Member Posts: 399 Arc User
    From what I understand they are already in a lawsuit with the Japanese companies over exactly this. HG is claiming that one of the Japanese companies has the only existing copy of a contract that would prove they have exclusive rights to Macross forever, but the Japanese companies deny such a contract was made.

It amazes me that HG can drag these lawsuits out so long when they can rarely prove their own standing to bring the allegations.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    lordrezeon wrote: »
    From what I understand they are already in a lawsuit with the Japanese companies over exactly this. HG is claiming that one of the Japanese companies has the only existing copy of a contract that would prove they have exclusive rights to Macross forever, but the Japanese companies deny such a contract was made.

It amazes me that HG can drag these lawsuits out so long when they can rarely prove their own standing to bring the allegations.

I think they try and drag it out long enough for the opponents to just settle rather than counter because of legal fees. And frankly after all this shtako... they should have had the license YANKED from them rather than just let it expire.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    lordrezeon wrote: »

I think they try and drag it out long enough for the opponents to just settle rather than counter because of legal fees. And frankly after all this shtako... they should have had the license YANKED from them rather than just let it expire.
    Apparently the terms of the contract did not allow that. Which sucks.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    Also, how many TV shows have mechas? LOTS! Power Rangers, Gundam…. like 20 different versions of Gundam, Voltron, Ok, I'm bored of listing them already.

Surprised Harmony Gold did not sue STO yet, the Voth has a few mecha suits. >_>;;
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    Yea... some of the Voth mechs do kinda look like ripoffs of Invid mecha don't they?
    latest?cb=20140911133317

About as much as an Atlas looks like an armored Veritech if you ask me.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    Yea... some of the Voth mechs do kinda look like ripoffs of Invid mecha don't they?
    latest?cb=20140911133317

About as much as an Atlas looks like an armored Veritech if you ask me.

Exactly, could still see them try, though.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,985 Arc User
    Supremacy.jpg
    That's Game's Workshop in trouble then
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
      yeah...either they're in trouble with EA games or EA's in trouble with them, depending on which design came first, because that bears striking similarity with a GDI juggernaut mech

latest?cb=20100221165420​​
      Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
      An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
      A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
      A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
      "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
      Passion and Serenity are one.
      I gain power by understanding both.
      In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
      I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
      The Force is united within me.
      EA didn't come up with the Juggernaut though. That would be Westwood, as I believe the Juggernaut was first seen in Command & Conquer Tiberian Sun. EA May have taken over, but Westwood still made the first Juggernaut.
      latest?cb=20060817123532
      but EA now owns westwood, so the juggernaut belongs to them​​
      Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
      "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
      And EA's pretty much shelved anything new for C&C because C&C4 flopped. And for good reason too. They frakked with it big time. If they kept with the formula that was successful, like C&C3, they wouldn't have had a problem. But they wanted to try and cash in on the MOBA market and tried making it a hybrid. They tore everything that made it C&C out and replaced it with... that.
      And SINGLE PLAYER progression was tied to the Faction's level, which was SHARED across skirmish, single player, and Multiplayer, meaning you had to grind you tail off JUST TO PLAY THE FRAKKIN' STORY!

And instead of learning from their mistake, they just burned all the C&C fans and basically boxed the franchise.
      and they cancelled generals 2 less than half a year from its release date...and it was actually looking promising, aside fromt hat whole 'singleplayer campaign as DLC' nonsense, but that's better than having no singleplayer at all, which it wasn't going to have early on​​

#LegalizeAwoo

Frankly... they should give C&C to another company who has a good track record with Strategy games, and actually CARES. Like Petroglyph. Many of them used to work for Westwood, and have made several very good titles like Empire at War and 8-Bit Armies. I'd love to see them get C&C.

Hell... 8-Bit Armies plays a lot like the original C&C.
      petryglyph isn't doing so hot lately...UAW flopped (mainly because it took them two years to release modding tools - kind of like EA with C&C3 and RA3...didn't even bother expanding support for either game's x-pac and didn't release any tools at ALL for C&C4, which might've otherwise saved it) and i haven't heard much out of them after the release of grey goo, which i think also didn't do very well​​

#LegalizeAwoo

UAW was alright, but I think the cross platform multiplayer might have suffered a bit. The idea was pretty good, and I think they had planned on having Humans as a playable faction, but timetables cut that out.

But still... I'd trust Petroglyph to get it right over EA after C&C4 happened. And we'd probably get Frank Klepaki to do the soundtrack then too.
    • alexmakepeacealexmakepeace Member Posts: 10,633 Arc User
      yeah...either they're in trouble with EA games or EA's in trouble with them, depending on which design came first, because that bears striking similarity with a GDI juggernaut mech

latest?cb=20100221165420​​

Or they're both in trouble with one navy or another:
      WNBR_16-45_mk1_Rodney_turret_pic.jpg
      Frankly... they should give C&C to another company who has a good track record with Strategy games, and actually CARES. Like Petroglyph. Many of them used to work for Westwood, and have made several very good titles like Empire at War and 8-Bit Armies. I'd love to see them get C&C.

Hell... 8-Bit Armies plays a lot like the original C&C.
      the core flaw is that all those companies already have their own IP that they are already making games for.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      you act like a company can't develop for multiple IPs at the same time​​

#LegalizeAwoo

you act like a company can't develop for multiple IPs at the same time​​
      They can, if they have the budget for it. I'm just saying they probably won't buy an IP just to add another one.
      -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
      My character Tsin'xing
      The guys at Petroglyph would LOVE to get their hands on C&C from something I read on the Steam forums for the 8-Bit games. But... I have a feeling EA won't let it go, or will charge their firstborn to let it go.

EA also has the rights to Wing Commander, yet they have done absolutely NOTHING. Fans are the ones keeping it alive via mods for other games. One of the most notable mods is the old Wing Commander Invasion mod for Star Trek Armada. Was abandoned in favor of a mod for Empire at War, but had full Confed and Border Worlds factions, and had plans for full Nephilim and Kilrathi. I think it was eventually shifted back towards Armada, specifically Armada II, but I haven't heard anything since.
      if they're doing anything with A2, it's likely off the fleetops base, since that adds SO many extra features that modders can make use of compared to vanilla...to say nothing of making the game able to work with newer hardware​​

#LegalizeAwoo