test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

What's wrong with my ship build?

misanthrope#6636 misanthrope Member Posts: 84 Arc User
Ship: Mogai Heavy Warbird Retrofit T5

Front weapons: 3x very rare mk 12 antiproton dual cannons + uncommon mk 12 photon torpedo launcher
Deflector, Impulse Engines, and Singularity core all Mk 12 with rare, rare, and uncommon qualities in that order
Shields very rare mk 11 and they have more shield capacity than most mk 12 shields I've seen
Aft weapons: 2x rare mk 11 antiproton turret and 1x rare mk 10 antiproton turret (will be upgrading them to mk 12 as soon as I can)
Standard experimental weapon
Engineering consoles: 3x rare mk 12 field emitter
Science consoles: 2x rare mk 12 nanite hull repair things
Tactical consoles: 4x rare mk 12 antiproton mag regulator

I've been trying to do the episode missions but a lot of them are just impossibly hard to beat in space combat so I need advice on my ship gear, if anything's wrong with it. To be more precise: I will never upgrade my ship to T5-U(can't afford that 15 mill EC cost in the exchange), I have 2 million EC so that's my budget, I'm not in a fleet and I have no reputation so don't even think of suggesting fleet or rep gear, it has to be gear I can buy in the exchange in my budget range or gear that's rewarded from episode quests ONLY. I'm also a completely free to play player and I will never spend real money on the game, so a T6 ship is also not gonna happen. I've finely tuned my bridge officers abilities and all of them have the superior Romulan operative trait. My ship's power is set to weapons so I normally have 125 weapon power in combat and I'm a lvl 65 Romulan tactical officer.

Comments

• Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    What are your Bridge Officer abilities like? Your traits? Your active Duty Officers? (Not asking about skilltree cause it'd be incredibly painful for you to change anyway). A lot of your effectiveness comes from those things too.

Looking at your ship gear currently, apart from engineering and science consoles it looks pretty good. Before I can give you any suggestions to replace those, where are you currently with your storyline missions? (so that I wouldn't tell you to get a gear that's 30 missions away)

Also, something useful to read up is post, even if it's only useful for you to follow partially (cause different ship and you don't need to get Tetryon weapons or +tet equipment, for example).
    https://old.reddit.com/r/stobuilds/wiki/guides/sample_build
  • Options
    seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    While the options are limited there's still a lot of things you can get for "free". Your shield/engines/deflector are easily replaceable by one of the many episode sets.
    Some good options are:

Solanae Hybrid
    Technologies from "a step between stars"
    Kobali Regenerative Circuitry from "dust to dust"
    Desperate Defenses from "midnight"
    Quantum Phase Applications from "stormbound"
    Bajor Defense Set from “scylla and charybdis”

The core might be an issue since most set cores are from event-ships, might wanna browse through episodes and see what gives you a good core.

As for wepaons, there are also a few very good sets now though that might mean you have to switch energy types:

Entoiled Technology Set - which is like one of the free wepaon sets right now (disruptor)
    House Martok Skirmisher - is decent if you're already going into disruptor
    Preserver Resonant - similar to martok, only partly worth it if you need a budgted dis build
    mix the 3 sets togther an you'll have a good budgted disruptor build

Quantum Phase Catalysts - top notch phaser based set
    Trilithium-Laced Weaponry - same as above can easily combined with the quantum phase set

Polaron and tetryon also have some sets but they don't come near the the phaser & disruptor sets. AP has sadly next to no real support.

As for consoles, those field emitters are pretty worthless. What you need is damage resistance. Slap a good Neutronium Alloy console or two in those slots and you'll feel the difference.

Aside from all the sets above I'd say skip all episodes, then browse through them to look at the rewards and then play those you want the rewards from to get your ship up to par. That's how you can get a whole bunch of good mk12 VR items for no additional cost.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    While the options are limited there's still a lot of things you can get for "free". Your shield/engines/deflector are easily replaceable by one of the many episode sets.
    Some good options are:

Solanae Hybrid
    Technologies from "a step between stars"
    Kobali Regenerative Circuitry from "dust to dust"
    Desperate Defenses from "midnight"
    Quantum Phase Applications from "stormbound"
    Bajor Defense Set from “scylla and charybdis”

The core might be an issue since most set cores are from event-ships, might wanna browse through episodes and see what gives you a good core.

As for wepaons, there are also a few very good sets now though that might mean you have to switch energy types:

Entoiled Technology Set - which is like one of the free wepaon sets right now (disruptor)
    House Martok Skirmisher - is decent if you're already going into disruptor
    Preserver Resonant - similar to martok, only partly worth it if you need a budgted dis build
    mix the 3 sets togther an you'll have a good budgted disruptor build

Quantum Phase Catalysts - top notch phaser based set
    Trilithium-Laced Weaponry - same as above can easily combined with the quantum phase set

Polaron and tetryon also have some sets but they don't come near the the phaser & disruptor sets. AP has sadly next to no real support.

As for consoles, those field emitters are pretty worthless. What you need is damage resistance. Slap a good Neutronium Alloy console or two in those slots and you'll feel the difference.

Aside from all the sets above I'd say skip all episodes, then browse through them to look at the rewards and then play those you want the rewards from to get your ship up to par. That's how you can get a whole bunch of good mk12 VR items for no additional cost.

This is very good advice. All of those sets are well-worth playing and replaying the episodes to get them. The Quantum Phase set is the very best phaser set. The Trilithium laced set is also a good fit with it.

Good luck in upgrading your build.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    resumodresumod Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    And to start from the beginning. (I won't write about special stuff but more about general survival stuff for ships)

With the free T5 ship I think you are Level 61+. But the Items you are using are mostly level 45 and level 50. There is a big gab between MK 12 and MK 14/15.
    Not to speak about MK 10, which is level 40...
    Get everything to mk 12 VR...

I bet you didn't put specpoints into resist or shieldresist. Without any armor this means you got 0 resist to any incomming damage.
    With a weak shield (11 is weak) AND no power to the shield (with 125 to weapons) this means your shield is eaten away in seconds. Less power to the shield means less shieldregen and shieldresist (your shield will take more damage).
    You are made out of glass.

From the "no money" I would bet you are a Fed Rom ;)

I would use ResAll consoles for Resist, but you should go for the second mission in the delta arc (Reunion). That should give you an MK 13 VR Neutronium armor. Don't use more then 2 because of stacking penality. You can get weaker ones from many episodes though.
    I would use an RCS-Console as the 3. engi console, because a cannon ship can use more turning.

Antiproton is only a decent weapon, if you got a high critical chance. If not you just wasted money, if you bought them. Even more if you bought them below MK 12, because very often those will be more expensive because of lower supplie.

And just because everything about AP is simply overpriced.
    Phasers are overpriced too, in my opinion.
    Am I right, that you never "rerolled" your weapons? (reengineer). For low critchance you want DMG as the mod.
    As written above, there are a lot of good weaponsets you can get from missions.

You will be able to get some interesting weapons from episode replays too. With level 50+ those will be rare MK 11 before delta and (I think) VR MK 13 after delta at max.

And for gods sake, if it is not a "special" weapon like the disruptor/plasma Dual Heavy Cannon, do NOT waste any upgrade on something below VR. And NEVER do this without an upgrading event.

You can't afford a full MK 12 setup with 2mil for AP. But you can for other types of weapons. Even more the not so much wanted things like Plasma (no set for boosting and bad proc) or tetryon.

Another thing. You are using dual cannons. Those are worse than dual heavys. Dual heavys will have done their firering circle when their energy drain to the weapons power kicks in. Dual cannons will still shoot. And Weapons power means damage.

A last thing about your boffpowers.
    For survival you should have the 4 "counters" available. Tac Team (even stronger with a recharge time reducing Con Officer), Engi Team, Sci Team and Hazard Emitter. I preffer to have a Reverse Shield Polarity with me too.

What are your Boff powers, what are your traits, what are your active duty officers.

Until you get a set I would go with the efficient impulse Engine from smash and grab.

You could use the weapons from that episode too, for starting a disruptor build.
    As shield I would go for covariant. You could reroll it for regen and Cap, if you can affort it. Those will take less damage and they will let less damage bypass the shield.
    Not everything is about more shieldHP, when those "bonus" is gone within one hit.

For your Sci consoles. The Nanites are only good if you got a high passive regen. Because they are about passive hullregen.
    If not, get yourself some field emitters, to keep your shield up longer.

I know, some will say shield is worthless. It is to a good part, but on normal you should be able to keep up your shield most of the time without that much problems and I don't think this does work here.

Deflector, maybe you want to go for a positron deflector for now. And for the Sing Core, you might want to go for Oload.

Should all work for less than a million. Only disruptor or phaser dmg consoles could be a little bit harder. But you can get some from episodes too.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    To tunebreaker, bridge officer abilities are as follows:

Tac officer: Tac team 1, cannons rapid fire 1, torpedoes high yield 3, attack pattern omega 3
    2nd tac officer I didn't bother messing with as there didn't seem anything worth getting especially since there was only 2 slots
    Engineering officer: Emergency power to weapons 1, emergency power to shields 2, engineering team 3
    Science officer: Polarize hull 1, Hazard emitters 2
    Science officer 2: Science team 1

To resumed:

I put all 3 skill points into the shield hardness skill tree and my shield power setting is at 65, so my shields aren't that weak, even though they often feel like they are. I'm also a Klingon allied Romulan. I heard that antiproton damage type is the best easily on other threads so I went with that, I also heard on other threads that dual cannons were the best cannon type also so I went with it instead of dual heavy cannons. I've also heard that Romulans are "crit hounds" as one guy put it so I've put all the skill points and traits I could into crit chance and crit severity. I've never rerolled my weapons and I probably can't afford to. I have a thoron infused sing core and already a positron deflector array. I've also just now replaced my 2 nanite science consoles with 2 shield emitter amplifiers very rare mk 12's and I've replaced my ship shields with a covariant one and now I have 7200 shields.
    Post edited by misanthrope#6636 on
  • Options
    Lol coldnapalm, I didn't understand 90% of what you just said, but I understood the disruptors being the new best and heavy dual cannons being better.
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    Lol coldnapalm, I didn't understand 90% of what you just said, but I understood the disruptors being the new best and heavy dual cannons being better.

Yeah, that's not what Cold's post was about. While it's true, you shouldn't concern yourself with those things anyway, cause the difference is just that small. You can safely keep using whatever weapons you're currently using, cause at your level, those minor differences will not be at all noticeable to you.

However, just in case, to write out the boff layout again with full ability names, cause this *is* important and will affect your performance a lot.

CMDR tac: Tactical Team 1, Attack Pattern Beta 1, Cannon Scatter Volley 2/Cannon Rapid Fire 2, Cannon Scatter Volley 3
    LT tac: Tactical Team 1, Attack Pattern Beta 1
    LTC eng: Engineering Team 1, Emergency Power to Weapons 2 (actually you can substitute this with Auxiliary to Structural Integrity Field 2 if you feel you are dying too often), Emergency Power to Weapons 3
    LT sci: Hazard Emitters 1, Tyken's Rift 1 or Destabilizing Resonance Beam 1 if you have completed Blood of Ancients (that's what I'd personally use it here, Cold also mentioned Polarize Hull and Energy Siphon)
    ENS sci: Science Team 1
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    Geez guys give the OP at least one copy of emergency power to shields :smile: Doubling up on emergency power to weapons is not where he's at yet. EptS1, ET2/AtSif1, EptW3. ST is a bit weaksauce and he hasn't got the Valdore console from the Tier 3 version to help his shields.

2 VR Damage Control Engineers that reduce the cool down for EptX and 2 VR Conn Officers that keep a single copy of TT1 up most of the time help immensely. Yes a bit over-budget I know but those 4 doffs are the foundation of most early builds (for me at least) when I haven't yet access to other means of cool downs.

A neutronium and RCS would be great for engineering There are some nice choices for science consoles from missions to replace the nanite consoles like the temporal disentanglement suite and temporally shielded data core.
  • Options
    resumodresumod Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    protoneous wrote: »
    Geez guys give the OP at least one copy of emergency power to shields :smile:
    He could skip the offensive sci on his cannon boat too and go for transfere shield strengh II at the lt. Sci.
    Problem will be just, that hazard emitter, sci team and transfere shield strengh are bound to Aux-Energy.

In that case he could go on with 2 Copies of Power to Weapons.

While I still suggest using reverse shield polarity as the secound engi ability. I mean, his biggest problem is not to die. Shure, you won't die if you can melt through everything. But this won't happen to him in time, so thinking into the direction of baseline survival has to be done.

And the most basic thing for that (without all those fancy tricks, consoles and traits) is still keep the shield up.

Btw, my t6 Valdore got 20k shieldHP with Trellium Console (Mission), Temporal Disentanglement Suite (Mission Butterfly) and the Exotic Particle Field Exiter. Barely goes down.
    And Trellium as well as Field Exiter are slotted for other reasons then shield.
    The shield on its own is the Aegis (secondary toon) with 9,5k unbuffed shield. So you see a big difference between mk 12 and mk 15.

Not saying that I use a perfect built ;)

Beside that, part of the klingon income is from duty officer marauding.

• Options
    sarah2774sarah2774 Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Your ship is good enough for end game, however the ship equipment is too weak. You end up dragging the battle an eventually the enemy will swarm you.

Equip mission sets from the latest mission that you have completed. Mission set are good enough for end game. Upgrade the mission set to mark xv only during upgrade weekend (Don't worry about the quality).

Follow boff set up given by tune and others.

Then you should have an easy time doing mission.

You need to do some farming. Dilithium mining, Tour of the galaxy for ec and Admirality mission. Convert those dilithium to zen and get a t6 ship eventually. Later when you are rich then you can go for other stuff like your own ultimate build. A free to play player should only buy boff, traits, console, kits modules and lock box ships. Ship equipment are too overprice on the exchange and should be avioded.
    OPv9m3F.jpg
  • Options
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    protoneous wrote: »
    Geez guys give the OP at least one copy of emergency power to shields :smile: Doubling up on emergency power to weapons is not where he's at yet. EptS1, ET2/AtSif1, EptW3. ST is a bit weaksauce and he hasn't got the Valdore console from the Tier 3 version to help his shields.

2 VR Damage Control Engineers that reduce the cool down for EptX and 2 VR Conn Officers that keep a single copy of TT1 up most of the time help immensely. Yes a bit over-budget I know but those 4 doffs are the foundation of most early builds (for me at least) when I haven't yet access to other means of cool downs.

A neutronium and RCS would be great for engineering There are some nice choices for science consoles from missions to replace the nanite consoles like the temporal disentanglement suite and temporally shielded data core.

Considering the boff layout, grabbing 2 VR maint engineer to global engineer team and 2 VR development lab scientists to global science team over globaling tact team and attempting to strech EPtX will give you more survivability. Especially since the two VR damage control engineer alone will blow by his budget by a factor of 4. [insert detailed explanation here <snip>]

Also for the OP...never say never.
    Yes, I'm way over budget and your way makes more sense. OP you're in good hands with coldnapalm's or tunebreaker's original suggestions, as well as what others have added. I especially like the never say never part :wink:

I have the Tier 3, 5 and 6 versions of your ship. They are sturdy and well balanced. You'll get the hang of things and your build and success will improve over time.

Since you haven't posted your spec, I'm hoping it has points in most everything this one does. Think of it as a framework with the basics filled in. Framework Skill Points

• Options
    robby0321robby0321 Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    Ship: Mogai Heavy Warbird Retrofit T5

Front weapons: 3x very rare mk 12 antiproton dual cannons + uncommon mk 12 photon torpedo launcher
    Deflector, Impulse Engines, and Singularity core all Mk 12 with rare, rare, and uncommon qualities in that order
    Shields very rare mk 11 and they have more shield capacity than most mk 12 shields I've seen
    Aft weapons: 2x rare mk 11 antiproton turret and 1x rare mk 10 antiproton turret (will be upgrading them to mk 12 as soon as I can)
    Standard experimental weapon
    Engineering consoles: 3x rare mk 12 field emitter
    Science consoles: 2x rare mk 12 nanite hull repair things
    Tactical consoles: 4x rare mk 12 antiproton mag regulator

I've been trying to do the episode missions but a lot of them are just impossibly hard to beat in space combat so I need advice on my ship gear, if anything's wrong with it. To be more precise: I will never upgrade my ship to T5-U(can't afford that 15 mill EC cost in the exchange), I have 2 million EC so that's my budget, I'm not in a fleet and I have no reputation so don't even think of suggesting fleet or rep gear, it has to be gear I can buy in the exchange in my budget range or gear that's rewarded from episode quests ONLY. I'm also a completely free to play player and I will never spend real money on the game, so a T6 ship is also not gonna happen. I've finely tuned my bridge officers abilities and all of them have the superior Romulan operative trait. My ship's power is set to weapons so I normally have 125 weapon power in combat and I'm a lvl 65 Romulan tactical officer.

Here is my advice since your romulan make sure you have an entire crew of SOR’s for crit chance and crit serv. Next DO your reps and I can’t stress that enough you need the rep traits precision advance targeting and armor pen as well as tactical advance for more armor pen. Then check story missions you can get a complete set of plasma Dhcs and turrets from one of the system patrols in the Romulus story arc. Next find the free missions that award plasma tac consoles from story missions replay them for 4 to 5 depending on tac console seats on your ship. Next get free armor consoles for res all from the delta story arc. Finally make the omega rep console for crtd and crth the the romuland rep console for more crt h the delta rep console for heals and base weapon dmg increase. Finally join a fleet! This is probably the most important as you can get fleet gear which is far better and cheaper then anything you can get or craft as it only takes fleet credits and dil to obtain. If you go with a free set the quantum phase set is probably the best as it is basically a mini iconian rep set with its 3 piece. Next use your ec to buy tech upgrades take your gear to mk 14 or 15 vr at the least as there isn’t that big of a diff between ultra rare and epic honestly of your not chasing the dps race.

• Options
    Wanted to thank you guys for the advice, and to also give an update on my new gear, I'm now using 3 pieces of the Solanae set which is the deflector, shields, and impulse engines. I've also changed my plasma weapons to dual heavy cannon disruptors and disruptor turrets with 4 tactical consoles that boost disruptor damage. And finally I've switched out one of my engineering consoles that gave shield power to a mk 13 neutronium console, the one that you receive from the reunion quest and I plan on replaying the quest later today to get a second one.
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    And finally I've switched out one of my engineering consoles that gave shield power to a mk 13 neutronium console, the one that you receive from the reunion quest and I plan on replaying the quest later today to get a second one.

I hate to inform you that the you only get to choose a very rare console the 1st time you play the mission. I believe repeating the mission only rewards rare Mk XII gear.
  • Options
    I'll be keeping with my current bridge officers and abilities cold. Also not to worry jaguar, that'll only be like a 2% difference, I'm using 3 neutronium consoles now, 1 very rare mk 13 and 2 rare mk 12's, have about 36% resistance to everything now. If only enemy ships couldn't hit those bs hits they do which deal tens of thousands of damage.
  • Options
    edited August 2018
    I'll be keeping with my current bridge officers and abilities cold. Also not to worry jaguar, that'll only be like a 2% difference, I'm using 3 neutronium consoles now, 1 very rare mk 13 and 2 rare mk 12's, have about 36% resistance to everything now. If only enemy ships couldn't hit those bs hits they do which deal tens of thousands of damage.
    You only really need one neutronium provided you have single point in hull plating. As you progress through the missions you'll find far better things to put in there but for the time being consider an RCS console to get those cannons on target faster and longer, maybe even an EPS console as well.

Check out this curve https://sto.gamepedia.com/Damage_resistance

• Options
    Having then same issue... my ship SUCKS!

I've had it since level 40, I'm now level 63... I've always seemed to squeeze by somehow but past few missions I get PWNED 1-2 good hits, most while stuck in tractor beam or thorian web.

My kid got my acct communications banned until tomorrow night 11:30pm EST so I started playing 3 days ago and just been leveling (currently 63 in a lol 40 t5 ship).

I thought I was supposed to get a new ship @ 60 or 61?

There's ALLOT I don't know or understand yet, as I said... haven't been able to talk to ppl so just basically pure leveling with level XI & XII weapons, components, and consoles but now getting OWNED and no clue what to do...

I don't have 30-40$ to buy zen to BUY a ship so idk, I'm stuck and sick of dying now.

Almost ready to give up and stop playing.
  • Options
    > @coldnapalm said:
    > You should have gotten one at level 61...
    >
    > Otherwise...which ship are you using?

I'm using the T5 cruiser I got @ level 40... I checked @ the spacedock and ds9 and EVERY ship there costs ZEN.
  • Options
    obsoleterealism#4788 obsoleterealism Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited September 2018
    > @"obsoleterealism#4788" said:
    > > @coldnapalm said:

> > You should have gotten one at level 61...

> >

> > Otherwise...which ship are you using?

>

> I'm using the T5 cruiser I got @ level 40... I checked @ the spacedock and ds9 and EVERY ship there costs ZEN.

P.S. If I don't figure out how to get this better free T6 ship by tomorrow... this game is done and uninstalled!

I've had the same ship since level 40 and I'm now level 64 (all in 3 days) and no free t6 ship, EVERY ship cost ZEN or whatever the Mark's are in the fleet t5/t6.

I've been stuck on (for 4hrs) this temporal mission where I need to "defend temporal installation and defeat Na'kuhl attackers" so far its 1 ship that turns into 2 and INSTANTLY kills me!

And I am really sorry ARC, I get my communications back tomorrow and was excited to be able to talk/type to people because up until this point...

...this quickly became my favorite game in a LONG time however, I will NOT spend $30-$60 on a ship, sorry!
  • Options
    where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I've been stuck on (for 4hrs) this temporal mission where I need to "defend temporal installation and defeat Na'kuhl attackers" so far its 1 ship that turns into 2 and INSTANTLY kills me!

Hint: watch the little flying numbers.
    One ship is immune...as long as the copy is flying around.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    > @where2r1 said:
    > obsoleterealism#4788 wrote: »
    >
    > I've been stuck on (for 4hrs) this temporal mission where I need to "defend temporal installation and defeat Na'kuhl attackers" so far its 1 ship that turns into 2 and INSTANTLY kills me!
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hint: watch the little flying numbers.
    > One ship is immune...as long as the copy is flying around.

Yea, tried that... die way too fast lol install for some reason even pwned the fleet ship you can call in if under 50% health in about 6 sec lol
  • Options
    > @coldnapalm said:
    > You should have a token that lets you get one retrofit ship of your choice. Not a fleet one...just the normal one. Look for those in the ship yard for a new ship.

I actually found it now, it's in the T5 slot not the T6 slot :( and I plan on working the skill once I can talk to people tonight to help me understand the bits Idk or are confused about... the good thing here is there seems to be a plethora of helpful people :)