test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Discovery is going to be sued for Plagiarism

lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
https://youtu.be/UiWWQ22EnZ8

I think this is serious then some of the other stuff Midnights edge says, they've been in contact with the man in question, and it seems clear they ripped the guy off.

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    How can you sue someone over HAIRSTYLES?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Yeah really, this has gone nowhere because the guy has no case. The only real similarity is how both involve use of tardigrades as part of a pseudo-FTL ship drive system. But even that has little actual similarity as the way it works is drastically different.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    And this case will go about as well as the guy who tried to sue William Shatner for being his father.

If he tried to sue James Kirk for being his father and his mother was an alien, then there is a good chance of winning.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Two observations:
    1. You can't copyright or trademark an idea, only a particular implementation of an idea.
    2. Midnight's Edge is a moron.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOZWH6bKiac
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    Yeah really, this has gone nowhere because the guy has no case. The only real similarity is how both involve use of tardigrades as part of a pseudo-FTL ship drive system. But even that has little actual similarity as the way it works is drastically different.

The problem is that while there are some differences in the way the drive works from the game, there are also some rather eerie similarities with certain aspects of it, such as the effects. That whole blue with white dot effect that the developer mentioned for example. That isn't even getting into the weirdly similar character designs. There are too many similarities for cbs to try to claim its entirely coincidental. Being inspired by another design is one thing, being too on the nose about it is something else entirely, thats where it becomes plagiarism, and plagiarism is no joke in court. He has a much better case than you seem to be giving him credit for

The simple fact is, there are too many similarities to claim its outright coincidence. cbs is going to have to explain those similarities sooner or later. This is a prime example of why even many writers for previous star trek series have made statements about why they do not and were not allowed to read third party fan fictions when they were working on their shows - because if they did and any similarities came up they could legitimately claim it was a coincidence. That is very difficult to do if its public knowledge that you are reading things other people came up with and something similar suddenly shows up in an episode
    I'm fairly sure there is at least some fan fiction out there about Starfleet's JAG office getting sick of handling Kirk's paternity cases.
    \

....likely something along the lines of kirk getting involved with so many different women that a thousand years later everybody is related to him in some way, kind of like charlemagne in europe or genghis khan in asia
    You can't copyright or trademark an idea, only a particular implementation of an idea.

and your point is? the developer isn't talking about the concept, he's talking about the way cbs implemented it in discovery. Its not even debatable that whats going on here is questionable at best. I'll say it again, its one thing to take inspiration from an idea that someone else came up with, its another entirely to implement it in a way that looks eerily similar to that persons idea, which clearly cbs did. Hell the effects used for the tardigrade drive alone are suspiciously similar. At a bare minimum cbs has some explaining to do as to where these ideas came from and why they are so similar. Even minor plagiarism can get you in serious trouble in many fields and industries. If they've done that in any capacity and monetized it, they owe the developer
    Midnight's Edge is a moron

Which has absolutely no bearing on the facts of the situation or cbs's actions. Whats that saying about a broken clock being right twice a day
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    The blue white dot effect seems rather popular in science fiction currently.

The Expanse
    Capture%252B_2017-02-24-14-09-13.png

Discovery:
    00003029.jpg

Discovery again, but no Tardigrade Involvement
    latest?cb=20171107154919&path-prefix=de

I figure if you made them green, it would look too much like something "natural", and if you made them red, it would look evil.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User

The problem is that while there are some differences in the way the drive works from the game, there are also some rather eerie similarities with certain aspects of it, such as the effects. That whole blue with white dot effect that the developer mentioned for example. That isn't even getting into the weirdly similar character designs. There are too many similarities for cbs to try to claim its entirely coincidental. Being inspired by another design is one thing, being too on the nose about it is something else entirely, thats where it becomes plagiarism, and plagiarism is no joke in court. He has a much better case than you seem to be giving him credit for

The simple fact is, there are too many similarities to claim its outright coincidence. cbs is going to have to explain those similarities sooner or later. This is a prime example of why even many writers for previous star trek series have made statements about why they do not and were not allowed to read third party fan fictions when they were working on their shows - because if they did and any similarities came up they could legitimately claim it was a coincidence. That is very difficult to do if its public knowledge that you are reading things other people came up with and something similar suddenly shows up in an episode
    I'm fairly sure there is at least some fan fiction out there about Starfleet's JAG office getting sick of handling Kirk's paternity cases.
    \

....likely something along the lines of kirk getting involved with so many different women that a thousand years later everybody is related to him in some way, kind of like charlemagne in europe or genghis khan in asia
    You can't copyright or trademark an idea, only a particular implementation of an idea.

and your point is? the developer isn't talking about the concept, he's talking about the way cbs implemented it in discovery. Its not even debatable that whats going on here is questionable at best. I'll say it again, its one thing to take inspiration from an idea that someone else came up with, its another entirely to implement it in a way that looks eerily similar to that persons idea, which clearly cbs did. Hell the effects used for the tardigrade drive alone are suspiciously similar. At a bare minimum cbs has some explaining to do as to where these ideas came from and why they are so similar. Even minor plagiarism can get you in serious trouble in many fields and industries. If they've done that in any capacity and monetized it, they owe the developer
    Midnight's Edge is a moron

Which has absolutely no bearing on the facts of the situation or cbs's actions. Whats that saying about a broken clock being right twice a day

Yeah it's super obvious d?Discovery blatantly ripped this guys ideas off, no way is that a coincidence, we agree on that, but I don't support all the irrational hate against midnights edge, what is up with that?

You say "too many similarities" I say... most of it has no similarity whatsoever.

I mean seriously... pause the vid in the OP at 0:18. That blue particle effect has been used in star Trek so many times prior to Discovery that trying to claim the Discovery team got it from him is preposterous, the reverse is more likely true.

0:31 the only similarity between Yolanda and Burnham is their skin tone. Seriously, read the bio for Yolanda... absolutely no similarity.

and so on and so forth. all similarities are trivial and superficial.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Parallel development. Also a LARGE corporate entity like CBS wouldn't even be AWARE of an Indie Game Developer.

You also have to consider timetables. How long was Discovery already in development when this guy released what he had? Pretty sure quite a while.

Case dismissed with prejudice.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,362 Arc User
    Blue with white dots? You mean the white bubbles in the blue medium (probably not water) while the Major's body is being activated in the intro to the original Ghost In the Shell?

It's not exactly an unknown visual effect - and given the graphical level of dude's game, that's about as sophisticated an effect as he could manage anyway.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    All in all... this lawsuit boils down to one reaction really.
    bahahahahaaa__rainbow_dash_laugh_by_misteralex-d515muw.gif
    As I said earlier... dismissed with prejudice.
    Just in case anyone wants to know what the game actually looks like:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BIYbDHt5EfU
    1: terrible, 2: nothing like Discovery.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    jonsills wrote: »
    Blue with white dots? You mean the white bubbles in the blue medium (probably not water) while the Major's body is being activated in the intro to the original Ghost In the Shell?

It's not exactly an unknown visual effect - and given the graphical level of dude's game, that's about as sophisticated an effect as he could manage anyway.

I think the best reason there's no possible infringement claim for the blue energy dots thing is probably that it's a real-life thing.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    This is not going to get past the first MOTD.

This guys legal complaint reads like a bad comedy and he is not going to get what he's asking for.

Also he's not suing the right people, and is missing out one key player.

Its a load of TRIBBLE and he just wants attention.

Plus midnights edge hahahaha it's like saying unicorns exsist.
    JtaDmwW.png
    He won't get a settlement. If anything, he'll get laughed out of there for thinking he's important enough to "rip off" stuff from.

An Indie developer vs a large, established corporation...
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    The Indie developer is probably suing Discovery for the free publicity not for the idiotic belief that they can actually win. Most of us never even knew or cared about this crappy game.
  • reafisreafis Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    edited August 2018

ROFL he hasn't got a leg to stand on, also he has a power loader from Aliens in the trailer which I think WOULD be plagiarism.

Edit: Isnt this a cunning necropost of this from October 2017? https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1235539/well-looks-like-the-producers-of-TRIBBLE-have-some-serious-explaining-to-do/p1
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I don't think they got a case, as you have to very deliberately and selectively pick on things that might resemble DSC, the trailer meant to showcase the game has little resemblance to the show. However, I'm not too puzzled over some confusion: With TOS and also TNG, the looks, sounds and feels of Star Trek were absolutely unique and distinguishable from everything else. Discovery now went a long way orienting itself with current generic sci-fi flavour - aside from emblems and names, watch "The Expanse" trailer - it is almost indistinguishable from Discovery. The same with "Tardigrades" - blue uniforms, generic space suits, the same "beauty shots" - it's not that far off considering styles all melt together this day and age. Just like any sword & sorcery fantasy looks either like Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies or Warhammer.

That being said, "Tardigrades" at least looks fine. I think it's laughable people have to dogpile the developer side-by-side with CBS and criticize "terrible" visuals. This is hand-drawn, 2D Point and Click with cutscenes almost resembling rotoscoped games like Flashback. This is a squealing fine - and a dungload of - work and not dismissed easily. Stay real and don't get all emotionally defensive, credit where credit is due. But again, I don't see the case either.​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I don't think they got a case, as you have to very deliberately and selectively pick on things that might resemble DSC, the trailer meant to showcase the game has little resemblance to the show.​​

It was also released July, 2017; the same month CBS debuted the extended Discovery trailer which included scenes involving the Tardigrade. :/

Also, if you look at the development thread for the game, this trailer has little to do with most of what's been shown for said game (I did a little research when this came up in the main Age of Discovery thread.) It should be noted that:
    • The game has yet to be released or publicly tested. Development started a few years ago (under the name "Epoch") with infrequent updates marking progress. What we have are individual frames, test animations, and vague trailers on youtube (of disconnected tone and content.) Only one item (the July 2017 trailer) includes a Tardigrade as more than just a logo. Prior: the dev was posting Egyptian architecture, market stalls, nude cave diving, a questionable shower scene, a bit with an old man in a brown robe (venerable monk?), abstract wormhole FX (including what appears to be another plane of reality) generic sci-fi interiors, and some verdant green exteriors. If replication had been attempted during DSC's production, it would have been impractical to anticipate where the game would go with its July trailer (nothing I've found foreshadowed the presence of large Tardigrades or their direct involvement with FTL travel, the focus was on sci-fi ancient Egypt and generic space settings.)
    • The "Stamets" is a Kirk-style lead who happens to be a botanist (his background may be providing context but it doesn't appear core to his actions or interactions. There is very little dialog available.) Early descriptions state that he has a girlfriend and some trailers show him interacting with a cat in space (which we can presume is his.)
    • The "Burnham" is the communications officer, a la Uhura, and doesn't appear to have much involvement beyond that role.
    • The "Culver"...this is an ergregious comparison with Discovery. He's a white guy with a brown beard (filling in what appears to be a Bones-esque friendship with the lead), it's a very select piece of "shadowy" animation (posted after Cruz was cast) that's being used in the comparison videos.
    • The "Tilly," a member of another team. She has red hair and its very difficult to say whether she only appears in one scene (where she's piloting a two-seat space fighter) or adopts a much larger role in the game (one can infer a rival team dynamic with frequent contact but I don't think that's been established yet.)
    • There are many other characters showcased in the game of equal or greater prominence, each primarily distinguished by hair color (for the sake of the main game's rendering capabilities.) It's worth noting because the game is casting a wide net, making incidental similarities more likely.
    • The setting is Egypt 20,000 BC, following the Stargate mold of imagining that to be the product of an ancient space-faring culture.
    • The sci-fi interiors also seem inspired by the Daedalus, circa Stargate SG-1 (though "generic modern sci-fi" including Aliens, the Expanse, Starship Troopers, and Halo would also do.)
    • The "spores" segment is a wormhole scene posted Aug 2015, sans Tardigrade. It does, however, resemble a Stargate portal (rendered as a sphere of moving dots to resemble the ripple effect at a glance.)
    • The plot seems to be a re-imagined Dune prequel, including the formation of deserts in the title locations and Tardigrades standing in (apparently) for both Guild Navigator and Sandworm (blue also matching the deep blue of spice saturated eyes). The connection between works is very directly established with the dev lifting the intro from the 1984 Dune movie for one of his trailers.

Now to do all this as an indie project is a technical accomplishment (though it remains to be seen whether the dev is building a coherent narrative, realizing characters, and coupling that to a complimentary tone; there's been very little dialog posted) but there's still no getting around the fact that this is derivative work. In detail, it doesn't resemble Discovery and any vague similarities either follow from convergent evolution (placing Tardigrades as a pop-science stand-in for alien life [following notable NASA experiments and evangelization by Tyson in Cosmos 2.0), because look at the thing) or genre trends and archetypes (with the Tardigrades game sticking to them and Discovery [in the case of characters] subverting them].)

I don't blame the dev in this, because from comments I've seen he's been surrounded by an echo chamber that's bought into the "CBS stole your work" narrative (without checking the precise dates) and that's a very unusual place to find yourself in while working on a project like this. I do blame those who publicized the issue without doing due diligence in research, they've "taken the side" of an indie dev and tacitly encouraged a lawsuit without appreciating, in full, what that is objectively up against simply to fulfill a dramatic narrative. Win or lose, they're entertained.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    reafis wrote: »

ROFL he hasn't got a leg to stand on, also he has a power loader from Aliens in the trailer which I think WOULD be plagiarism.

Edit: Isnt this a cunning necropost of this from October 2017? https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1235539/well-looks-like-the-producers-of-TRIBBLE-have-some-serious-explaining-to-do/p1
    Technically no. The idiot trying to sue Discovery actually did something to push the case forwards.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • reafisreafis Member Posts: 147 Arc User
    I
    reafis wrote: »

Technically no. The idiot trying to sue Discovery actually did something to push the case forwards.

I really feel for the developer. It seems that a group of discovery haters have found a avenue for them to try to get discovery cancelled and are just using the developer for their own mad plans.

Its a point and click adventure, I used to love those (Even the somewhat odd star trek ones)
    5 ECs says its a publicity stunt backed up by Discovery Haters hoping for a David and Goliath takedown of CBS.

Ain't gonna happen.
    small.jpg
    Anybody want popcorn? I got plenty for everyone.