test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[PC] You Could Win a T6 Ship with the Foundry!

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
Use The Foundry, our in game mission creator on PC, to create a mission for a Jem'Hadar or Cardassian Captain, and you could win a T6 Ship from the Infinity R&D Promotion!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10983603

Comments

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    For folks new to the Foundry, we have a new introductory thread with PSA's, tips, and general resources. We've had some great challenge entries in the past from first time authors, so if you're looking for something new to try (or a shot at a promo ship) then have a look and see what you can make. :)

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1242987/new-to-the-foundry-psas-tips-and-intro
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    Well, obviously I need to find some time to finish "The Hydra's Head" and add Cardassian dialogue options.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    1) Overall, I think this is nice of Cryptic to do & pre-congratulations to the winner of the nice prize.

2) I don't think it should be limited to Jem'Hadar & Cardassian captains, but I can understand the focus given their recent introduction.

3) With such mentioned focus towards the Jem'Hadar & Cardassians for this contest I think it would've made more sense for the prize to be a choice of a Jem'Hadar or Cardassian ship.

4) I wish STO was robust & healthy enough nowadays to not even need this carrot on a stick for the Foundry, but again, this is nice of Cryptic to do.

5) Thanks to all the authors & pre-congrats again to the winner.
    edited August 2018
    nommo#5819 wrote: »
    2) I don't think it should be limited to Jem'Hadar & Cardassian captains, but I can understand the focus given their recent introduction.

This isn't the first and won't be the last challenge. ;)

The focus here is on making Foundry missions to accompany the new species options for ViL. That said, while challenge entries must be for one, the other, or both there's nothing preventing players from having a secondary dialog path that's inclusive to all species. What's mandatory is the primary JEM/CAR line and a plot that's geared towards them.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Wow...this is really cool of Cryptic. :) Good luck to the Authors. :)
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • altran3301altran3301 Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »

They're going to need it... bit strange to draw attention to STO's most broken component.
    tnl3Zwx.png
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    altran3301 wrote: »
    where2r1 wrote: »

They're going to need it... bit strange to draw attention to STO's most broken component.

Oh, are you one of the Foundry authors who gave up because the system is always broken? I get it, I gave up on playing them.

It is still cool that Cryptic is helping these Foundry Roundtable out.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    so, what measures do you have in place to stop people entering this contest from creating hundreds of dummy accounts to skew the voting in their favor?

normally, most people wouldn't bother going through all that work for any lesser prize - but for a promo pack ship, someone just might​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    Time to learn foundry! :)

Wish me luck XD
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    edited August 2018
    so, what measures do you have in place to stop people entering this contest from creating hundreds of dummy accounts to skew the voting in their favor?

The fact that'd be laughably obvious. I won't go into detail here (because the more we elaborate the more folks have to work with) but the chances of that passing muster is moot for a few reasons (intrinsic to the method of voting and to the challenge itself.) We'll have more details on voting when we enter that phase of the contest.

Wish me luck XD

Good luck! If you need any help folks are active on the Foundry general discussion forum. :)

The fact that'd be laughably obvious. I won't go into detail here (because the more we elaborate the more folks have to work with) but the chances of that passing muster is moot for a few reasons (intrinsic to the method of voting and to the challenge itself.) We'll have more details on voting when we enter that phase of the contest.

Wish me luck XD

Good luck! If you need any help folks are active on the Foundry general discussion forum. :)

Thankies. :)
    Well, just remember, as twisted as I can be....as you can see from my comics....and my posts....I am gonna try to make something on the level of Excel Saga twisted XD
    dvZq2Aj.jpg

Well, just remember, as twisted as I can be....as you can see from my comics....and my posts....I am gonna try to make something on the level of Excel Saga twisted XD

I eagerly await the madness vortex to come. :)

Well, I got a month, lil more, to figure this out...watching the video of Kael making a foundry as we speak.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User

Well, I got a month, lil more, to figure this out...watching the video of Kael making a foundry as we speak.
    If you got the time I'd strongly recomend watching the Foundry Roundtable podcasts, I've probably learnt more things about how to make things work in the foundry there then anywhere else.
    spiritborn wrote: »

If you got the time I'd strongly recomend watching the Foundry Roundtable podcasts, I've probably learnt more things about how to make things work in the foundry there then anywhere else.

Doing that right now, actually. Thanks, anyhow :)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    this whole thing is aimed at those who don't need the extra ship since they are always making a killing from their previous missions instead of at those first timers exclusively to the foundry to get more people to make missions for the first time and support them on their way up. the incentive is in the wrong location for a contest honestly.

there is no mention of experts in the field getting looked at more or less, or if any crud quality mission is going to get noticed. so i don't see the contest as anything more that a popularity contest for those already established names and if the judges think that it is unfair and choose all first timers, it would look damn suspicious. i can't see anything good coming from it. the rules for the contests like this need to be more clearer on generally what cryptic are looking at.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • keltek#4979 keltek Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    My first look .Hats off
    edited August 2018
    this whole thing is aimed at those who don't need the extra ship since they are always making a killing from their previous missions instead of at those first timers exclusively to the foundry to get more people to make missions for the first time and support them on their way up. the incentive is in the wrong location for a contest honestly.

there is no mention of experts in the field getting looked at more or less, or if any crud quality mission is going to get noticed. so i don't see the contest as anything more that a popularity contest for those already established names and if the judges think that it is unfair and choose all first timers, it would look damn suspicious. i can't see anything good coming from it. the rules for the contests like this need to be more clearer on generally what cryptic are looking at.

Um...what?

1. Foundry authors don't make "a killing" from their missions. If you're aim is to earn dilithium then its much more profitable to do just about anything else. The building process is a long one and what you'll eventually get typically amounts to a handful of PVE runs (including rep projects). So, an active author typically has less buying power for their effort than a regular player.

2. It is a popularity contests, players vote for their favorite mission. There are no judges (besides my cat in the event of a tie, I'll try to livestream the event if we ever need to) and what people are looking for can be summed up as "the best mission." That's a subjective question but it's the basis of the contest and fairly unambiguous. So, work with it. And do note that this challenge is the fourth run by the Foundry Roundtable and we're borrowing the format used by former CM Bran Flakes for the old official contests (minus the use of a cat). It's well tested, the good well demonstrated, and we're confident of the results being as equitable as they can be.

3. I was a relative newcomer in my first foundry challenge [AEI] and I was competing against some much more senior authors with loads more experience. I happened to win with second going to another author (Captain.Hunter) who while more senior (I think) was himself less senior than others who participated (I'm pretty sure). We've also had complete newcomers join in and make some very compelling missions that had a good shot at winning the contest (see Lightning in a Bottle [AEI] by Gethralkin.) What you do is infinitely more important to these challenges than who you are. That's basic to the experience of playing a good Foundry mission. You are not drawing attention to yourself, as an author, in trying to create an immersive fictional experience. Quite the opposite, in fact.
  • kingkahless1963kingkahless1963 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Use The Foundry, our in game mission creator on PC, to create a mission for a Jem'Hadar or Cardassian Captain, and you could win a T6 Ship from the Infinity R&D Promotion!

My question is...How do they expect us to create a mission based on either JH or Card when neither is available in the Foundry?
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User

My question is...How do they expect us to create a mission based on either JH or Card when neither is available in the Foundry?

The Cardassians & Jem are part of the Fed or KDF, so you would be making the mission for either the fed or kdf.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
    edited August 2018

We have...
    • Cardassian species for custom NPC's
    • Cardassian stock NPC's
    • Cardassian parts for alien gen
    • The Cardassian uniform
    • Cardassian combat units
    • Cardassian maps and detail assets (old style)
    • All Cardassian ships (browse through custom space NPC costumes, new ships are named by their class)
    • Jem'Hadar, Founder, and Vorta parts for alien gen
    • Jem'Hadar uniforms
    • Jem'Hadar stock NPC's (fully updated to the new look)
    • Changeling stock NPC's
    • Jem'Hadar combat units
    • All Jem'Hadar ships, besides the Vanguard

What would be useful are... (in case Kael or another dev with Foundry access happens by in the next week or so)
    • Gamma Quadrant Foundry doors (they were working on them for ViL but something seems to have blocked delivery)
    • Jem'Hadar species option for custom NPC's
    • Vanguard Jem'Hadar ships
    • Vanguard Jem'Hadar uniform
    • Hur'Q contact NPC's
    • Hur'Q combat units
    • DS9 ground map

But creative writing and asset use can more than compensate for what we lack ATM (ie. just use stock Jem'Hadar NPC contacts and write for the Alpha/Beta/Delta quadrants.)
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Mmm.... challenging yourself i see. :D

for those unfamiliar:
    opener:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjaS2M1Oe-w
    and close;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqADwd52eSE
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    Mmm.... challenging yourself i see. :D

for those unfamiliar:
    opener:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cjaS2M1Oe-w
    and close;
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QqADwd52eSE

I wants me infinity pack.

;)
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • croftyboi2croftyboi2 Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Does anyone know why I can't even enter a project name into the dialogue box when trying to create a new project in the foundry? I want to start creating a mission for this competition but can't even create a new project name!

We have...
    • Cardassian species for custom NPC's
    • Cardassian stock NPC's
    • Cardassian parts for alien gen
    • The Cardassian uniform
    • Cardassian combat units
    • Cardassian maps and detail assets (old style)
    • All Cardassian ships (browse through custom space NPC costumes, new ships are named by their class)
    • Jem'Hadar, Founder, and Vorta parts for alien gen
    • Jem'Hadar uniforms
    • Jem'Hadar stock NPC's (fully updated to the new look)
    • Changeling stock NPC's
    • Jem'Hadar combat units
    • All Jem'Hadar ships, besides the Vanguard

What would be useful are... (in case Kael or another dev with Foundry access happens by in the next week or so)
    • Gamma Quadrant Foundry doors (they were working on them for ViL but something seems to have blocked delivery)
    • Jem'Hadar species option for custom NPC's
    • Vanguard Jem'Hadar ships
    • Vanguard Jem'Hadar uniform
    • Hur'Q contact NPC's
    • Hur'Q combat units
    • DS9 ground map

But creative writing and asset use can more than compensate for what we lack ATM (ie. just use stock Jem'Hadar NPC contacts and write for the Alpha/Beta/Delta quadrants.)

I stand corrected on the cardie....But...I tried making a JH and it won't even take the uniform. My guess is that unless we have a category for JH that it won't let ya use that uniform. I'm not sure of the programming side but it stands to reason that if you can't create that species from the character generation menu...It won't let you create it in game either. I tried creating one...All I got was some JH features but not enough to make someone believe it was a JH.
    croftyboi2 wrote: »
    Does anyone know why I can't even enter a project name into the dialogue box when trying to create a new project in the foundry? I want to start creating a mission for this competition but can't even create a new project name!

It could be one of two things...Either you don't have the slots...Or you ran into the recent bug where you have to tab out of the foundry and then back in to be able to enter text.
  • castsbugccastsbugc Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    No its an annoying glitch most likely, just tab out of the editor to your desktop and back in and it will fix itself for the remainder of your session,
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    I stand corrected on the cardie....But...I tried making a JH and it won't even take the uniform. My guess is that unless we have a category for JH that it won't let ya use that uniform. I'm not sure of the programming side but it stands to reason that if you can't create that species from the character generation menu...It won't let you create it in game either. I tried creating one...All I got was some JH features but not enough to make someone believe it was a JH.
    Last I checked, we can use the old JH costume on Foundry characters:
    enlissac_by_marhawkman-dck5qsj.png
    But not the new one. And we can't make custom JH.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    For the most part....The problem is the head of the JH....I've tried to make one and it's close...But not quite right. I wish they would add the JH to the foundry...and the founders too :)
    For the most part....The problem is the head of the JH....I've tried to make one and it's close...But not quite right. I wish they would add the JH to the foundry...and the founders too :)

Until then, I encouraged authors to use the Jem'Hadar default NPC's (unless a "not quite right" Jem'Hadar would serve the story.) There's 11 to choose from and they are updated to the latest Jem'Hadar costumes and head model. You can find them whenever you're adding or designating a contact NPC by either scrolling down a ways or searching by "Jem'Hadar" (or just Jem, that's sufficient to filter.)

There's 7 default "Changeling" NPC's too, though a custom founder is more doable. Perfect replication isn't possible (we don't have the new assets in the alien tailor) but other Foundry authors have made compelling custom Founders for their missions (see. The Hundredth.)