test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Hunting the Edit Monster

darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
Greetings folks. As some folks may be aware we've seen some sightings of the Edit Monster recently. For those unfamiliar with him, he's the monster that eats posts for a snack from time to time whenever he gets hungry. With that in mind comes the serious part. We've been working on a potential solution to shut him down for good and see if we can't put a stop to this annoying issue for everyone. We believe we've made some progress into the issue and have some possible causes identified but we need some assistance from you guys to be certain which I will get to momentarily.

The good news is we've been able to identify where the posts are going when he eats them. As it turns out we discovered a tab visible to myself and other mods as well as anyone with administrator powers on the forums. We believe there is something on the back end causing the edited posts to be mistakenly marked as spam when they shouldn't be. This brings me to what we need from you guys. To be sure of our theory we need you guys to post below and let us know if you have encountered the edit monster previously. If you can give a rough idea of when you last encountered him this could help with checking some things on the backend. Keep in mind this may not be the only possible cause of the edit monster as we're working to resolve this issue with the forums. As folks may be aware the forums are powered by Vanilla and as such Cryptic works with them to resolve such issues. I do not at this time have information about when a fix will come but I can assure you folks that we are working to resolve the issue.

Please leave your name below and a rough timeframe as to when you last encountered the edit monster. This information will be used to check some stuff on the backend and hopefully help us get a possible fix out for you guys. This thread has been passed on to @ambassadorkael#6946 so we can get the ball rolling. Now let's hunt us an edit monster.

UPDATE: We're making some progress on this one folks. There may be some bits of weirdness until things are 100% ironed out. Please continue to list your name if you've been effected by the edit monster.

UPDATE 2: we have implemented some changes that should take care of the edit monster for good. If folks continue to have issues let us know and we will try to resolve them.

UPDATE 3 4-20-2019: From time to time as part of keeping the edit monster at bay we may have to clear out the spam queue of the forums. Folks often repost or redo their postings that get caught by the monster. Because of this, the spam queue often contains duplicates of already existing posts. When the spam queue is cleared this will restore the posts in the spam queue to where they were before they were eaten. This can make it appear as though folks are spamming the forum when in fact they are not. We will try to update if/when the spam queue is cleared. We try to remove duplicate posts if/when we clear the spam queue to avoid confusion. If we miss a duplicate then PM one of the moderation team and we will take care of the issue.
"Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
Tagged:

Comments

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    Ok, I don't mean this to come off as sounding demanding, but is anyone doing anything about the edit bug on this forum?

It's seriously frustrating when you have to edit something on a post and it just disappears. Furthermore, it's not even specific to edits, I have typed out a post and hit submit just to have it completely disappear.

Everyone knows this forum is bugged, it's been happening for a long time and it's incredibly frustrating. Is anyone doing anything to fix this?

Time to hit submit and hope this actually posts..

Enough is enough, please fix this!

Thank you.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • skullblits#4627 skullblits Member Posts: 1,273 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Post edited
  • rndfluctuation#1470 rndfluctuation Member Posts: 813 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Post edited

It doesn't always happen. But it does happen sometimes.

As one who must self edit a lot I state I was "hit" by that issue. (for legitimate posts I worked hard on, which I couldn't write eloquently so those needed refinement/rewording, fixing or updating etc)

I thought it's mostly frequent and/or multiple edits/some edits which otherwise somehow an ALLEGED, speculated about, automatic spam filtering system of some sort, gets into action (for example, multiple edits in a short time interval, probably also mainly those in which not much was added on the end or not much of a change was done, are more likely to trigger that issue, maybe? I do speculate here, but the issue exists.)

• warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Ok, I don't mean this to come off as sounding demanding, but is anyone doing anything about the edit bug on this forum?
    Signs point to "no."
    garaks31 wrote: »

Thanks, but that isn't.. exactly what I am talking about.

I haven't seen the moderation bug in quite a while, in this case the post completely disappears with no message at all. It can happen on edit, but I just had it happen on a new post. I typed up a post, hit 'post comment' and the box you type in just blanks and nothing is posted. It's most common when going back and editing posts. You can make a post, see that you spelled a word wrong, or wish to add punctuation and when you do your edit and hit post.. the entire thing disappears.

I am just asking please.. if a moderator or someone can please just push this up the chain if they can? It happens to quite a few of us and so far there doesn't seem to be a common factor. It's just sometimes the forum decides to eat your post and it's really annoying.

Again, not trying to demand anything of the moderators, just asking if someone could please look into this.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    You must offer sacrifice* to the Edit Monster when editing a post, or it will become angry and eat the post.

* Meaning add text to the post, not just fix tags/spelling.
    warpangel wrote: »
    You must offer sacrifice* to the Edit Monster when editing a post, or it will become angry and eat the post.

That works most of the time, yes.

Still.. it's something we shouldn't have to do to begin with. It's clearly a bug in the forum software that I would really like to see fixed.

This is however, a valid temporary work around. Problem is, it feels like we have been working around it forever and I am curious if it's ever getting fixed.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    This thread has been sent to Kael.

FYI, because I've seen more than a few posts demanding that Cryptic fix the forum: Cryptic doesn't fix the forum. That falls to Vanilla, but Kael speaks with them often about forum issues. I'm not sure where they're at on this particular issue, but we'll make sure it gets mentioned again. Thank you for your patience.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User

It's seriously frustrating when you have to edit something on a post and it just disappears. Furthermore, it's not even specific to edits, I have typed out a post and hit submit just to have it completely disappear.

Everyone knows this forum is bugged, it's been happening for a long time and it's incredibly frustrating. Is anyone doing anything to fix this?

Time to hit submit and hope this actually posts..

Enough is enough, please fix this!

Thank you.

Couldn't agree more!
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User

Add, or remove. I usually just remove a secondary layer of quotation.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    This thread has been sent to Kael.

FYI, because I've seen more than a few posts demanding that Cryptic fix the forum: Cryptic doesn't fix the forum. That falls to Vanilla, but Kael speaks with them often about forum issues. I'm not sure where they're at on this particular issue, but we'll make sure it gets mentioned again. Thank you for your patience.

That is all I ask, and I really appreciate you pushing it up the chain.

I have seen similar posts and I wanted to be careful not to 'demand' anything, it's intended as a polite request so I really appreciate you treating it as such and sending it up the chain.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Hallelujah Sea! :)
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

That works most of the time, yes.

Still.. it's something we shouldn't have to do to begin with. It's clearly a bug in the forum software that I would really like to see fixed.

This is however, a valid temporary work around. Problem is, it feels like we have been working around it forever and I am curious if it's ever getting fixed.
    It's also why you see things like:

EDIT: Edits for the Edit god, words for the word throne!
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    I had this happen many times before I started adding a plea to the edit monster when making changes. Thanks for escalating it @baddmoonrizin
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator

88fBezL.gif
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    I am not sure you need another person to drop in to say: thanks for checking up on this.
    But there it is.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    hey folks I merged the thread into this announcement to keep things nice and clean in the forum and make it easier for everyone to find that may need to see the info.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    I encountered the edit bug just now. Thread:https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1242778/star-trek-online-age-of-discovery-stlv-content/p3

I was able to repost (specific comment begins with "Human cranial morphology") after editing some phrasing and removing an image link. Bug was caused by attempting to edit post wording (for clarity) with link already in place.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    *Sets out the antimatter bomb and jug of blood plasma*
    *Deploys drones*
    *Deploys mortars*

-Edit 1-

*Hefts rifle* Be werry werry quiet! I'm hunt'n edit monsters! huhuhuhuhuh!

-Edit 2-

Nothing here, nothing there... nothing anywhere? *shoots a tribble*

-Edit 3-

Oh I know! *Drags out red shirt Ensign Ricky* Now just stay right here young man!

-Edit 4-

Ensign Ricky: Oh what ever will I do? I'm a poor ensign in a red shirt!

-Edit 5-

Movement!
    *Drops the anvil and smushes Ensign Ricky*
    Ooops.
    *Quietly side steps out*

-Edit 6-
    *Edits and edit*
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    I have indeed encountered this. I don't call it the Edit Monster, though. I refer to it as the Forum Langolears.

That being said, I've noted that it's only happens when I'm editing a post, without adding or removing any text. Which you can find in my posts that I have edited. They're the ones with the "Edit: Forum Langolears, Begone!" at the end. This is the additional text I add to prevent the post from being ate.

So, on this, it's happening when you don't change the overall text, but just edit the mistakes.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    The monster struck just a few days ago. It seems to be worse whenever I make very minor edits for spelling or inserting commas or whatever for clarity without making big changes.
    edited August 2018
    I just spent about a dozen attempts trying to post a simple reply in this thread.

I was able to edit a spelling mistake, but once I added a line to the post I could no longer post anything without it disappearing. I finally re-wrote the post to get to show.
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Not an edit bug, but on June 20th I posted the following after repeatedly having a brand new post for this thread https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/comment/13386644 sent to the void:
    OMG, why do all my attempts to post in this thread get sent to the void for approval!?!
    Of course that one worked ...

The following day I finally managed to get a version of my intended post to go through:
    Ok, now that I'm on my computer I'm going to try this one last time. I admit it's a bit off topic, but every time i see the title for this thread this immediately pops in my head:

VoaBYZQ.jpg

Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,659 Arc User
    nimbull wrote: »
    *Sets out the antimatter bomb and jug of blood plasma*
    *Deploys drones*
    *Deploys mortars*

-Edit 1-

*Hefts rifle* Be werry werry quiet! I'm hunt'n edit monsters! huhuhuhuhuh!

-Edit 2-

Nothing here, nothing there... nothing anywhere? *shoots a tribble*

-Edit 3-

Oh I know! *Drags out red shirt Ensign Ricky* Now just stay right here young man!

-Edit 4-

Ensign Ricky: Oh what ever will I do? I'm a poor ensign in a red shirt!

-Edit 5-

Movement!
    *Drops the anvil and smushes Ensign Ricky*
    Ooops.
    *Quietly side steps out*

-Edit 6-
    *Edits and edit*

~Whips out a spatula and starts scraping poor Ricky off the ground~
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    I've noticed it also tends to be triggered if you link to Axamonitor, for some odd reason.

(How's that for a conspiracy theory waiting to happen? :tongue:)
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • slifox#0768 slifox Member Posts: 379 Arc User
    This forum is entirely bugged. I try not to even select and/or delete anything while posting because the webpage ends up crashing. I sometimes end up with this monster post of quotes that I can’t delete which ends up being left as a draft for eternity.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    Things seem FUBAR this morning, I tried to make 3 posts (Foundry forum and general discussion) and they were all eaten on their first go (not just on the edit.) I swapped PC's and tried to make a post here with that info. That went through, but when I tried to edit the edit monster took that and an attempted repost (with significant text changes.)

So...we'll see about this one.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    Testing from my Chromebook.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    edited August 2018
    Testing from my Computer -- Chrome browser.

Thank you @ambassadorkael#6946 force verify worked out. :)

This discussion has been closed.