test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

A single Ultimate tech upgrade...What item would you upgrade?

2»

Comments

• darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,715 Community Moderator
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    Nothing which involves flushing your money down a terlet can be called "cost effective". The cost effective option would be to just borrow the nice BOUND TO ACCOUNT weapons off your main.

The problem here is you're assuming someone will have those nice bound to account items to start with thus requiring a second toon in order to move those weapons over from. If we're going to argue cost to get something to end game level, then technically picking up mk xii items from missions and letting that be the end of it would qualify since you can clear 99% of the content in game with mk xii gear.
    "I am poor, therefore I will squander what few resources I even have at all on a dead end" is not a recipe for good economics. If you're poor, you should be even MORE ruthless about where you put your money. This is precisely why I DON'T buy fleet weapons, because I'm not Crosis and I'm not made of money, so I don't simply have money to throw away on second-rate dead end trash. I have to be very picky about what I put money towards.

In this statement here you make a claim that insinuates people are poor if they're having to resort to using fleet weapons.
    In other words, it's absurdly expensive and more than than I'm willing to simply throw away.

Yet in this next reply to another poster you make the claim that 10k fleet credits and 8500 dilithium for the weapon is expensive, thus contradictory logic. By your own original logic of "move the weapons over from your main" you're assuming 2 characters to start with. Thus you would have at least 16k dilithium to work with each day, which is well more than the 8500 dilithium needed to purchase a fleet weapon and leaving you 7500 dilithium left over. If you prefer not to ever purchase a fleet weapon then that's your prerogative, but that doesn't make it anymore or less of a valid weapon choice.
    Not free, perhaps, but they are A: The best, and therefore, the only way to go if you care about quality, and B: Accountwide, and C: Far cheaper than a fleet weapon.

Consider: According to the gear upgrade tablet, completing your fleet weapon will cost 8640K TP, or a bit shy of 85 Phoenix Upgrades, at 4K minerals per, for a total cost of 340K minerals.

The cost of doing the same with a crapted weapon isn't even in the same order of magnitude, so for the cost of ONE fleet weapon, you could fill out your entire ship.

And who gets to decide what is "best" in terms of weapons, gear, ships etc? What is "best" for me as a tank may not be what is best for another player. Many of the ships I fly are beefier dreadnoughts or cruisers that usually only have 2 sci powers or 3 at most with those powers being LT or Ensign rank. You could try to make a science build with a ship like that but you're going to have a very hard time doing so with only 2 sci powers. Thus what is "best" for me won't be that great for a science wizard build. What is "best" is subjective.

If we're also going to consider things being account wide as a criteria for being "best" then that rules out all shields, engines, warp cores, and deflectors that aren't crafted. This would mean no Iconian, Kobali, Romulan, Lukari, Jem'hadar, or other such space set, along with things like the Atlas console.

If we're going to take into account the cost of the weapon then if a crafted weapon doesn't hit ultra rare by mk x at the very least, which can happen even with omega tech upgrades and a 2x research booster, you're either in it for the long haul, and will take far more dilithium and such to get to xv epic. You're also assuming that the person intends to full take things to mk xv epic which was never said at all.

Finally you do not require the pen mod to succeed in game and if someone is telling you otherwise they've lied to you. Overall one can make arguments for fleet weapons or crafted weapons either one and be just fine. IMO you're over analyzing things.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    think the other went on a Chocrane Shotty.

That's an excellent one to use it on. You can go through a ton of Dilithium trying to get that thing to Epic.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • lordbeefy7lordbeefy7 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    I spent my one and only ultimate on the terran task force disruptor beam. Not disappointed at all.
  • casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    Terran space energy weapon(Cannons/Beam)/ Kumari Exclusive Ship Cannons / Quad Cannons / Wide Arc Torpedo (Assault Cruiser/Jemmie Rep one) / Adv.Temporal energy weapon (Cannons/Beam) / a favourite/utility Reputation Warp Core (AMP and W>S on your favourite warp core/Singularity from the Rep projects.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    I recently used an Ultimate Upgrade to fully upgrade a blue Mk XI Tachyokinetic Converter (Lobi) for my Jem.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • unclegoldieunclegoldie Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    Simply put, I only use them on items that seem to be taking forever to pop to Epic.
    Epohh Vindaloo and beer milkshakes for everyone
    jH7LGEi.jpg
  • jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    think the other went on a Chocrane Shotty.

That's an excellent one to use it on. You can go through a ton of Dilithium trying to get that thing to Epic.

Ah yes, I must agree there! That's an incredibly fun weapon. ♥
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • zzzspina01zzzspina01 Member Posts: 310 Arc User
    I would go for any console that I use on most if not all my ship layouts. most likely one that's part of a set.
    I cant brain I have the dumb
    zzzspina01 wrote: »
    I would go for any console that I use on most if not all my ship layouts. most likely one that's part of a set.

As a general rule, a console is a poor choice to use an Ultimate Upgrade on.

Consoles are far cheaper to get to Epic then things like Weapons, Warp Cores, Shields, etc. Consoles take far less points to upgrade, so they take far less resources to get them to epic.

• peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User

Consoles are far cheaper to get to Epic then things like Weapons, Warp Cores, Shields, etc. Consoles take far less points to upgrade, so they take far less resources to get them to epic.

Amen to that. Even if consoles ship as rare as most lobi ones do, ultimate upgraders are a real waste here.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    OMG...oh no, you have to wait ONE more day to refine that extra 500 dil to get the fleet weapon. That totally makes it not within a budget. Are you seriously mentally damaged or something? No really. You say some stupid **** sometimes, but this one takes the cake. Or are you such a kid that the concept of waiting is beyond you?

The refining limit should be 9k, counting the daily extra 500 from the Fleet Mining facility, plus the 2-days mission from the Academy, for another 1,000 (only for LTS players, I think).
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    edited August 2018
    EDIT: when is someone (BMR?) going to tell Cryptic to fix this %^&*() edit bug?
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    So...let me get this straight...you think 8500 dil is absurdly expensive
    I don't know if you've looked lately, but your refine cap per toon is only 8K. Since I'm not the government, I can't run on a budget that spends more money than I actually make.
    ...and yet advocate people get gold everything because that is the best of the best. K.
    If you don't care about results, why upgrade anything at all, then?
    NOBODY is saying to gold fleet weapons. Stop using that stupid stawman. You get fleet weapons to max mark to use it because it is good enough. MORE than good enough. For advance and even elite.
    And that would be money flushed down the tubes on a dead end that won't actually reach the end. If you already know the correct route to the end goal, why would you intentionally take the wrong path?
    you could possibly save some money with the BTA epic weapons over just grabbing some fleet weapons for your alts...but remember that TIME is also a resource. You wanna waste your life swapping gear in a game...good on you. I sure as hell don't.
    50 alts of 2M minerals down the drain is over 100M. This is just untenable.

*refines 8500 dil cause he is in a fleet with a dil mine* neat I'm the goverment now.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • yorktown1997yorktown1997 Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    I would use it on good equipment that you can't get in a higher mark, like the 23c stuff. Particularly the kit modules.
    Nothing is impossible, merely extremely difficult.
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    EDIT: when is someone (BMR?) going to tell Cryptic to fix this %^&*() edit bug?

Right? I got bit by another bug that moved one of my posts for here, to another thread on the 1st page!
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User

Not to mention the increase per quality level is very minor for consoles. Look at Mk 15 Vulnerability Locators:
    UR gives +32.8% & +1.9%
    Epic gives +34.5% & +2%

Surely a weapon/engine/shield will give a better boost.

Not to mention the increase per quality level is very minor for consoles. Look at Mk 15 Vulnerability Locators:
    UR gives +32.8% & +1.9%
    Epic gives +34.5% & +2%

Surely a weapon/engine/shield will give a better boost.

Well put, really helps illustrate what a poor choice a console would be for an Ultimate.
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    Definitely a rep item. Excluding consoles which seem to upgrade rather quickly.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    Warp core/singularity - they stay with you across builds as almost any setup can use more shield power.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    I'd go with a rep weapon or D/E/C/S as those require the most points and dil to get epic.
    SulMatuul.png
  • sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    If you had a single ultimate tech upgrade, what would you upgrade?

the game itself, there are a lot of broken animation (T'ket during house pegh is an example), there are a lot of bugs. And a lot of content is outdated (old stfs for example)
  • unclegoldieunclegoldie Member Posts: 263 Arc User
    For me, it's usually that one item on a build that's being stubborn and refusing to roll over to Epic even with the tons of Omegas, Accelerators, etc. that I've dumped into the bloody thing.
    Epohh Vindaloo and beer milkshakes for everyone
    jH7LGEi.jpg
This discussion has been closed.