test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online: Age of Discovery

Comments

• captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    The lengths to which some will bend over backwards to explain the "nuances of interpretation" presented in Discovery never cease to amaze me. Like I said, the show looks pretty; and I gave it a chance. I draw the line at hating it, I don't. But "CBS" and/or Paramount allowed decisions that they knew were going to prove divisive. Splitting one's own readily available customer base for the off chance of acquiring a potential percentage of shiny new replacement customers is such a successful endeavor, that it clearly made good sense to not just say Kelvin?

I don't mind that some fans really chose to love Discovery. I don't love it and I don't hate it, but it will perpetually seem an oddity to me. And that did not have to be the case. Maybe All Access will extend an olive branch to the flustered portion of fandom by bringing in someone like Christopher Pike and perhaps teasing Spock?? And hey, maybe pulling Jean-Luc Picard out of mothballs is an idea to consider too?

I'm just kidding with those last points. I'm sure that their motives for doing those were pure and simple.
  • sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    Discovery looks pretty, but for many of the legal reasons that you point out that the series had to chart it's own course, I felt as if they should have just said that this was a Kelvin Timeline series; which could have potentially explained virtually any alterations (courtesy of Nero's rebooted universe). But Paramount did not want to do that, and thus hedged its bets; causing grief that it could have avoided.

Paramount has nothing to do with Discovery. It's all CBS.

Then perhaps they should've shown some foresight and waited for the merger to go through before creating a new series and tying it to a streaming service.

Moonves doesn't want the merger, so he did what he could to block it.
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    But "CBS" and/or Paramount allowed decisions that they knew were going to prove divisive. Splitting one's own readily available customer base for the off chance of acquiring a potential percentage of shiny new replacement customers is such a successful endeavor, that it clearly made good sense to not just say Kelvin?

Providing the antithesis to Discovery (ie. safe and insular to a certain view of the Trek fanbase) would have also been divisive because the interests held by those complaining about Discovery are not held universally throughout the Star Trek community (or even within the body of complaints, its not a homogeneous unit.) No reaction is wholly objective and it is particularly unrealistic to expect that actions taken to please those who are currently "nay" on Discovery would have resulted in a show that would have been, by virtue of fanservice, more universally accepted or impactful (ie. that splitting as a total and general point was caused by Discovery.)

Divisiveness is not a useful data point by itself. It's a reflection of intra-group dynamics and the readiness with which segments chose to adopt polar standpoints (ie. to divide). Ie. it tells you something about the fans and how they self-identify in discussion but it cannot be used in place of direct literary/film appreciation (ie. an analytical approach to examining how a creative work functions) such that you can throw down divisiveness as a comment on a show (as opposed to the fanbase it literally describes the reactions of) and a point in favor of alternative creative decisions. For that its best to dig into mechanics before secondary reactions (making sure to take those in full context.)
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • majorcharvenakmajorcharvenak Member Posts: 226 Arc User
    Then perhaps they should've shown some foresight and waited for the merger to go through before creating a new series and tying it to a streaming service.

Going to be honest, I've no idea what you are talking about here. One has nothing to do with the other.

Reincorporating the IP could have allowed CBS to create a Star Trek without many of the changes they were forced to do with Discovery. Possibly reducing some of the friction this series has met by parts of the fanbase. While I'll concide that at the time of Discovery inception, there possibly wasn't talk of a merger within the halls of CBS, but there was no need to roll out new Trek as the flagship series of their new streaming service. As @captainwells noted, its pretty. Visually stunning, but it feels (at least to me) somewhat incomplete and its due to CBS moving forward the way they did instead of coming up with a way to reacquire the rights that Paramount inherited when the two split.
    sisteric wrote: »
    Discovery looks pretty, but for many of the legal reasons that you point out that the series had to chart it's own course, I felt as if they should have just said that this was a Kelvin Timeline series; which could have potentially explained virtually any alterations (courtesy of Nero's rebooted universe). But Paramount did not want to do that, and thus hedged its bets; causing grief that it could have avoided.

Paramount has nothing to do with Discovery. It's all CBS.

Moonves doesn't want the merger, so he did what he could to block it.

Hence the lack of foresight imho.
    ~Shia~

Member - Houseclan t'Charvon (STO)
    Shiarrael e'Tal'Aura t'Charvon, LvL 65, Rom Sci
    S'aana ir'Virinat t'Charvon, Lvl 65, Rom Eng
    T'Lyra, LvL 65, Fed, Vul Sci
    Ta'el, Lvl 63, Rom Tac
    Sukima, Lvl 65, Fed Vul Sci

House Miliskeera in exile (NW)
    Sereska Miliskeera, Lvl 70 OP - Devotion (Just.)/Protection (Just.)
    Shizlee Miliskeera, Lvl 70 DC - Divine Oracle (Right.)/Anointed Champion (Faith.)
    Finithey Miliskeera, Lvl 70 HR - Stormwarden (Combat)/Pathfinder (Trapper)
    Maya Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 CW - Spellstorm
    Irae Sik-Miliskeera, Lvl 70 TR - Master Inflitrator
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    That's why they are trying to destroy him in the press.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • xiaenantariesxiaenantaries Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. This just plays into the false Star Trek the CBS is trying to cram down our throats, and it saddens me to no end that STO is going to pander to this TRIBBLE. Pathetic, Crytic, really, and truly pathetic.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User

The Mirror Universe was the second best part of Season 1 of Discovery. Harry Mudd was the best part of Season 1 of Discovery.

Discovery needs to explain how we went from Enterprise Klingons to TOS Klingons to Discovery Season 1 Klingons to Discovery Season 2 Klingons. Enterprise had a reason for why there was a difference between TOS Klingons and non-TOS Klingons. There was no way I would guess Klingons if I was shown a picture of Discovery Klingons in 2016.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    What changes "had" CBS to make? The visuals of Klingons and ships and uniforms were not changed for 'legal reasons' - this was a false statement that has been corrected shortly after it surfaced. I hope you are not treating it as fact still. If you mean something else I'd like to know.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    I am a True fan of Trek ........

I think that you could benefit from taking a hit of our yown closing advice, so for Spock's sake - please do take a chill pill yourself.

For STO, I am open to any content and this Age of Discovery will be welcome - - as far as the exclusive TV app stuff; well, to each his own.

As I pointed out in another post, I was in error regarding their being any legal issues (that was something that John Eaves had said during an interview - something that has mislead many people). And as I also said, visual rebooting is common thing in Trek - too many examples exist.

Paramount have nothing to do with Discovery - Paramount just holds a licence to make movies (and maybe not even that for much longer). Trek is owned and run by CBS - and Discovery is a CBS series :smile:

I'm quite chill about it all. I'm looking forward to Age of Discovery.
    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
  • madhatch1971madhatch1971 Member Posts: 196 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. This just plays into the false Star Trek the CBS is trying to cram down our throats, and it saddens me to no end that STO is going to pander to this ****. Pathetic, Crytic, really, and truly pathetic.

Okay, so you hate Discovery. Thank you for that revelation.

And to address the rest of yor post:

False Star Trek? No it's not. It's being produced by CBS.
    "Trying to cram down our throats" implies that someone is forcing you to watch DSC or play STO. Although I guess I don't have any evidence to prove that someone isn't stood behind you with a gun pointed to you head saying "watch Star Trek Discovery or else".

As for the rest of the post - angry rant lacking any real substance. Though I would be interested to know why you think producing content for a game that is running alongside an active show makes poor business sense (hint: it doesn't).

I'm as baffled as you are reyan01. The last livestream I saw made it clear that they wanted to expand the game so that people could play how they wanted to play, they aren't taking anything away by adding this expansion/season - rather just adding new content that ties in with the most recent Trek. Use it, don't use it. Play it, don't play it. Watch it, don't watch it. You have a choice.

But to whine about it...? Sheesh. I don't get it. I don't like JJ Trek - but I don't sit around all day ranting on forums about it. What would be the point? I don't like, I don't watch it. End of. The fact JJ-verse content is in the game? Why not? I don't have to use it.

The devs aren't taking anything away from people, only adding content, and it's good business sense to tie into the current series.

Something from every era of Trek is in this game - even represented as parts of the story and missions, be it from TOS, TWOK, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, JJ. Why on earth would they ignore Discovery?
    People ask how long have I been playing STO - well the answer is simple: I have been here since the beginning. I just haven't always had a lot to say.
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    it is very romulan-looking...which is ironic, given the BoP we all recognize as being uniquely klingon today was originally SUPPOSED to be romulan​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    and the b'rel would've set TNG romulan aesthetics if they had actually gone with their original design intent for SfS​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    patrickngo wrote: »
    it is very romulan-looking...which is ironic, given the BoP we all recognize as being uniquely klingon today was originally SUPPOSED to be romulan​​

nah, I'm referring to how it blends elements of the D'deridex and the Scimitar classes, it looks outright TNG-era Romulan.

even with unnecessary and silly SPYKESSSS!!!! all over the skin.

The "romulan" (based on pre-production rumour mill liner notes) bird-of-prey from ST3 didn't look romulan to begin with-not TOS romulan and not TNG romulan, it actually matched TNG Klingon asthetics (probably because it helped set them).

The spare "engineered" look was far more prevalent. This thing looks like it was grown by an artist, and the 'graceful curving lines" fit better with romulan engineering styles when you don't get into the bird/lizard/giger look of Klingorks from ST:D (whom apparently need to add SPYKESSS!!!!! to everything like a thirteen year old trying to look like Gene Simmons from KISS).

Nah. More like a follower of Slaanesh. Spiky bits, check. Overtly looking horribly mishapen? Check. I wouldn't be surprised if a daemonette host made a cameo. After all, IDIC, folks. Live by the IDIC, die by the IDIC. It cuts both ways.
  • joannedjoanned Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    I was losing interested in STO slowly last while as it seems the developers are barely even trying anymore, just cookie cutter content in a slow dribble changed slightly to seem different with each season but shallow with no depth and all done with same formula. The new dominion arc had 0 depth to it.
    This new TRIBBLE stuff coming, a show i quickly lost interest in has no interest at all for me so i take this moment to retire my ship and take a post to starfleet academy in hopes of a new opportunity with a new game which contains actual exploring, more science stuff, deep story-lines and interesting characters.....you know actual Star Trek.
  • vegeta50024vegeta50024 Member Posts: 2,335 Arc User
    joanned wrote: »
    I was losing interested in STO slowly last while as it seems the developers are barely even trying anymore, just cookie cutter content in a slow dribble changed slightly to seem different with each season but shallow with no depth and all done with same formula. The new dominion arc had 0 depth to it.
    This new TRIBBLE stuff coming, a show i quickly lost interest in has no interest at all for me so i take this moment to retire my ship and take a post to starfleet academy in hopes of a new opportunity with a new game which contains actual exploring, more science stuff, deep story-lines and interesting characters.....you know actual Star Trek.

I'd say some people would disagree with you. VIL, while short, has some pretty good episodes in it.

TSC_Signature_Gen_4_-_Vegeta_Small.png
    yes, the spikes on the narada are inane, because they serve no useful purpose; and frankly, given the ship was augmented with borg technology, they DEFINITELY shouldn't be there because the borg are all about simple geometric shapes...multikinetic neutronic mine notwithstanding

they DO serve a purpose on the scimitar, however, as the ship's thalaron emitters are located in each of those spiky wing protrusions​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    yes, the spikes on the narada are inane, because they serve no useful purpose; and frankly, given the ship was augmented with borg technology, they DEFINITELY shouldn't be there because the borg are all about simple geometric shapes...multikinetic neutronic mine notwithstanding​​
    Borg tech as utilized by a semi-insane Romulan. It wasn't built by a Borg drone! And as with most sci-fi things, we really have no idea what their purpose is. Like, why is the Borg Queen's Octahedron HOLLOW?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    it isn't hollow...the space between a d'deridex's wings - THAT'S hollow​​

#LegalizeAwoo