test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My problems with TRIBBLE

Comments

• legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    and we also know that a few well-chosen words will send that computer into a coma, because apparently paradox correctors are ANOTHER thing that starfleet doesn't have in addition to fuses and seatbelts​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    When you press a big red emergency button in a PRISON, the prison system does not just open your cell door. It summons a PERSON to make the call.

And unlike a red button the Computer can understand that as there are no other people around to sort the prisoner out they'll have to make a decision.
    Remember that the computer AI does not have REAL intelligence. That does not happen with an AI until Soong makes Lore and Data and possibly whatever models that comes before...like B4.

You do not need artificial intelligence to make decisions. Decisions trees are the basis of computer programming.
    If you design a prison system where you could just press the big red button and the door opens...guess what sweet pea, you have a security system from idiocracy.

That is indeed correct sweep pea. Lucky that's not the case here.
    I would ask if you think before you post...but your reply gives me a pretty clear idea of the answer to that question. And yes I did watch and read the replies before posting. At least you did that part too.

Well considering you've made the same error a second time I really think you simply don't understand what the word 'reading' means. It dosn't just mean look at the pretty shape the word makes and guess as to the meaning.
    And I didn't realize that me critising a show was me being childish. Or are we not allowed to critise a show YOU like at all. Because you know, going nah nah, you can't say bad things about anything I like is SOOO grown up. Grown ups when faced with critism actually proicess said critism instead of plugging their ears and going nuh uh.
    [/quote]

Criticism is fine. Lazy criticism is for children. Those who haven't realised that what they watched in their childhoods is not the pinnacle of drama and that anything that comes out later is subjected to intense scrutiny their past escaped. Grown ups when criticising things should do so objectively and not just lazily repeat the same thing several times hoping that the counter criticism will just go away.

There is a damn good reason the computer lets Burnham out. There were no crewmembers left around to assist the prisoner. There was an active conflict going on. The brig was one verge of collabs and the prisoner would die. All that is spelt out by the situation happening in the episode. Lazily suggesting Burnham just asked a red button to be let out and was released is a sign of a lack of faculties and not just those relating to criticism.
    and we also know that a few well-chosen words will send that computer into a coma, because apparently paradox correctors are ANOTHER thing that starfleet doesn't have in addition to fuses and seatbelts

There is also the whole 'Kirk talks a computer to death' thing. Though that's from TOS so must be protected behind a rose filtered diamond wall.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    I don't see what's the big deal with the computer allowing Burnham to exit the brig. I don't see Starfleet as being the "let the folk in the brig die" kind of organization.

Seems to me the system would have fail safes built in to allow for stuff like massive hull breaches etc. The ship was under attack with most of the brig totally destroyed and open to space. I also seem to recall the alert saying power failure to the brig force field was imminent. Makes sense the AI would allow for exit under those circumstances.
    Yeah, it's Starfleet, they care more about keeping prisoners alive than keeping them prisoners.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    and we also know that a few well-chosen words will send that computer into a coma, because apparently paradox correctors are ANOTHER thing that starfleet doesn't have in addition to fuses and seatbelts​​
    Starfleet?
    I, Mudd wrote:
    KIRK: Everything Harry tells you is a lie. Remember that. Everything Harry tells you is a lie.

MUDD: Now listen to this carefully, Norman. I am... lying.

NORMAN: You say you are lying, but if everything you say is a lie, then you are telling the truth, but you cannot tell the truth because everything you say is a lie, but you lie... You tell the truth but you cannot for you lie... illogical! Illogical! Please explain! You are human. Only humans can explain their behavior! Please explain!

KIRK: [giving him the same statement the androids have repeatedly given him several times before] I am not programmed to respond in that area.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Captain James T. Kirk made the computer self-destruct by asking it if it was right to kill another being. M-5 said that it was a crime against the laws of Man and God, and, believing that such a crime was punishable by death, deactivated itself. (TOS: "The Ultimate Computer")​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Oh, yes, let's make sure that the AI that runs the brig aboard a ship that might see combat is programmed to kill the prisoners in the event of a loss of pressure and loss of all personnel assigned to guard duty. Because of course every offense for which one might get brig time, including oversleeping often enough to annoy the captain, deserves the death penalty.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    jonsills wrote: »
    Oh, yes, let's make sure that the AI that runs the brig aboard a ship that might see combat is programmed to kill the prisoners in the event of a loss of pressure and loss of all personnel assigned to guard duty. Because of course every offense for which one might get brig time, including oversleeping often enough to annoy the captain, deserves the death penalty.
    Yeah, it's like I said earlier, Feds care more about the health and safety of prisoners than they do about keeping them prisoner. In large part because they have reasons to want to be gentle with prisoners. Especially members of your own crew. Throwing a crew member into the brig is akin to telling them to sit in the corner and think about what they've done. When the punishment is over, they're going to be expected to get back to work.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    yeah...mutiny calls for something a little more firm than 'go stand in the corner'​​

#LegalizeAwoo

yeah...mutiny calls for something a little more firm than 'go stand in the corner'​​
    Yeah, a disciplinary hearing, AKA "Courts Martial". Which may or may not find her in need of further punishment. What? It's not the Terran Empire. Most real world militaries don't execute people on the spot for any offenses. If you die before trial it was due to resisting arrest(maybe sometimes "resisting arrest", but not usually)
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    they do if mutiny occurs during a time of war - which there technically wasn't at the time considering no formal declaration of war had been made by the federation...on the other hand, klingon declarations of war are usually declared with the first disruptor bolt fired​​

#LegalizeAwoo

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Yeah, a disciplinary hearing, AKA "Courts Martial". Which may or may not find her in need of further punishment. What? It's not the Terran Empire. Most real world militaries don't execute people on the spot for any offenses. If you die before trial it was due to resisting arrest(maybe sometimes "resisting arrest", but not usually)

There is such a thing as a summary court-martial, what Picard referred to as a "drumhead trial" in the episode of same name, but it's an extremely uncommon procedure nowadays, at least in the U.S. military. (Unlike the rest of the government, the military actually does its best to keep up with advances in technology, in this case increased communication and travel speeds. If somebody's accused of a crime in a war zone, they can and will fly him home for trial.) Outside of extreme circumstances such as Voyager found itself in, the most a CO can do is something called non-judicial punishment (a.k.a. a captain's mast in the Navy), which is very limited in scope: you can dock pay, confine them to quarters or base limits, put them on extra work duties, demote them 1 grade, and of course issue a reprimand (in the vernacular, chewing them out and putting a black mark on their record). But you can't discharge them or throw them in prison, let alone execute them, without convening a full court-martial.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    starswordc wrote: »

There is such a thing as a summary court-martial, what Picard referred to as a "drumhead trial" in the episode of same name, but it's an extremely uncommon procedure nowadays, at least in the U.S. military. (Unlike the rest of the government, the military actually does its best to keep up with advances in technology, in this case increased communication and travel speeds. If somebody's accused of a crime in a war zone, they can and will fly him home for trial.) Outside of extreme circumstances such as Voyager found itself in, the most a CO can do is something called non-judicial punishment (a.k.a. a captain's mast in the Navy), which is very limited in scope: you can dock pay, confine them to quarters or base limits, put them on extra work duties, demote them 1 grade, and of course issue a reprimand (in the vernacular, chewing them out and putting a black mark on their record). But you can't discharge them or throw them in prison, let alone execute them, without convening a full court-martial.
    Umm, actually, in the US military at least, one of the punishments available under Article 15 of the UCMJ, governing non-judicial punishments, is up to 30 days in the stockade/brig. Also, if you're arrested for a violent crime aboard a vessel, you're placed in the brig until such time as you can be transferred to a prison. That's kind of why they have brigs aboard ships. Might just be a cell or two, but there they are.

And since Burnham was under arrest for suspicion of mutiny (because legally until the court martial is held, she's just a "suspect"), she'd be placed in the brig. And in the event that the brig is becoming inhospitable to continued life, whether due to contamination, flooding, or loss of atmosphere, all prisoners would be removed from their cells before they die, because there's no such sentence as "confinement aboard ship until such time as the environment kills you". Since there are no surviving jailers to release her, the system would be programmed to permit her release as an alternative to her death. To do otherwise really would be either staggeringly stupid or staggeringly cruel.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    She would have died since power was failing and the ship was going down. Had the computer kept her it would have been certain death. I know that some consider prisoners unworthy of ethical treatment but Starfleet obviously doesn't. That's the whole issue here.

(real world political remark removed) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    patrickngo wrote: »
    angrytarg wrote: »
    She would have died since power was failing and the ship was going down. Had the computer kept her it would have been certain death. I know that some consider prisoners unworthy of ethical treatment but Starfleet obviously doesn't. That's the whole issue here.

that depends strongly on whether your brig is designed to keep prisoners alive or not. If it is, then the direction would NOT be 'easily opened doors', it would be 'emergency bulkhead sealing and internal life support on battery power'.

the compartments (cells) should be able to seal and sustain until rescue-or until rescue's no longer possible, because it's the simplest way to build it. In a universe that includes both Vulcans, and Orions, (and in which you have to contemplate a brig design that can handle both as known factors) you don't build it as a vulnerable room with a low-power forcefield and easily manipulated computer system.

Brig design shouldn't include methods to talk the system into assisted suicide.

in any case, if it's as automatic as you say, Burnham didn't need to say a word, the system would've simply done it on its own. that she had to, indicates that it ISN'T automatic (in which case, they've got a huge hole in their design work, the sort that is a "hole created for plot reasons", aka deus ex machina).

Sounds about right. Automatically turning the brig into inescapable escape pod when power shuts down or some breach is detected makes far more sense that debating with the computer. There is a reason why they are in the brig so making it easy for Starfleet to reclaim their prisoners as easily as possible is a necessity.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    > @patrickngo said:
    > angrytarg wrote: »
    >
    > She would have died since power was failing and the ship was going down. Had the computer kept her it would have been certain death. I know that some consider prisoners unworthy of ethical treatment but Starfleet obviously doesn't. That's the whole issue here.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > that depends strongly on whether your brig is designed to keep prisoners alive or not. If it is, then the direction would NOT be 'easily opened doors', it would be 'emergency bulkhead sealing and internal life support on battery power'.
    >
    > the compartments (cells) should be able to seal and sustain until rescue-or until rescue's no longer possible, because it's the simplest way to build it. In a universe that includes both Vulcans, and Orions, (and in which you have to contemplate a brig design that can handle both as known factors) you don't build it as a vulnerable room with a low-power forcefield and easily manipulated computer system.
    >
    > Brig design shouldn't include methods to talk the system into assisted suicide.
    >
    > in any case, if it's as automatic as you say, Burnham didn't need to say a word, the system would've simply done it on its own. that she had to, indicates that it ISN'T automatic (in which case, they've got a huge hole in their design work, the sort that is a "hole created for plot reasons", aka deus ex machina).

The squealing walls were gone (!). There was nothing left to seal, it was a piece of floor and forcefields. The ship went down, power was likely to fail. Of course the scene was engineered to play out this way, it's a tv show after all. But I think it's plausible if your utmost believe happens to not be 'prisoners forfeited their right to live and should go down with the ship and suffocate in their cage'. The void-dive hardly seems like standard procedure and the computer had to calculate a while before concluding her chances of survival are higher this way instead of keeping her locked up.

I have quite a few problems with DSC. This right here is not one of them, honestly.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    > @valoreah said:
    > I don't see what's the big deal with the computer allowing Burnham to exit the brig. I don't see Starfleet as being the "let the folk in the brig die" kind of organization.
    >
    > Seems to me the system would have fail safes built in to allow for stuff like massive hull breaches etc. The ship was under attack with most of the brig totally destroyed and open to space. I also seem to recall the alert saying power failure to the brig force field was imminent. Makes sense the AI would allow for exit under those circumstances.

Except the fact the AI should of let her out only to get her to an escape old, not let her wander freely about.

I look at it this way. Burnham should of NEVER EVER had voice communication with the computer.

Now abandon ship gets announced by the surviving senior officer or captain. Computer does a check, still has a prisoner in the brig.

Computer notifies senior officer. Senior officer can either send someone or instruct the computer to deal with it.

Computer is elected to get the prisoner off the ship. Finds nearest escape pod and directs the prisoner to it. Any attempt to deviate is met with security fields until prisoner gets on track to the pod.

Get prisoner on the pod. If it already has people aboard computer notifies senior officer on the pod, person is armed a d takes control of prisoner waits for rescue. If pod is only inhabited by the prisoner, locked down to only essential needs to preserve life, ZERO computer control till rescue.

Now we have positive control over a prisoner awaiting court marshal.

This is how you properly secure prisoners while abandoning ship. And all it takes is a few sub routines.

So enough with this "oh we have to let them go to save them." TRIBBLE. No. You don't.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
    > @valoreah said:
    > talonxv wrote: »
    >
    > Except the fact the AI should of let her out only to get her to an escape old, not let her wander freely about.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > You're right. Everyone should have dropped everything they were doing and asked the Klingons nicely to wait a few minutes and stop attacking them just to make sure Burnham was relocated to another secured location.
    >
    > Give me a break.

It does not take an entire crew even under a battle to move 1 prisoner. Takes 1 to 2 people out of what 2-300? So yeah gimmie a break.

> @reyan01 said:
    >
    > > @valoreah said:
    > > I don't see what's the big deal with the computer allowing Burnham to exit the brig. I don't see Starfleet as being the "let the folk in the brig die" kind of organization.
    > >
    > > Seems to me the system would have fail safes built in to allow for stuff like massive hull breaches etc. The ship was under attack with most of the brig totally destroyed and open to space. I also seem to recall the alert saying power failure to the brig force field was imminent. Makes sense the AI would allow for exit under those circumstances.
    >
    > Except the fact the AI should of let her out only to get her to an escape old, not let her wander freely about.
    >
    > I look at it this way. Burnham should of NEVER EVER had voice communication with the computer.
    >
    > Now abandon ship gets announced by the surviving senior officer or captain. Computer does a check, still has a prisoner in the brig.
    >
    > Computer notifies senior officer. Senior officer can either send someone or instruct the computer to deal with it.
    >
    > Computer is elected to get the prisoner off the ship. Finds nearest escape pod and directs the prisoner to it. Any attempt to deviate is met with security fields until prisoner gets on track to the pod.
    >
    > Get prisoner on the pod. If it already has people aboard computer notifies senior officer on the pod, person is armed a d takes control of prisoner waits for rescue. If pod is only inhabited by the prisoner, locked down to only essential needs to preserve life, ZERO computer control till rescue.
    >
    > Now we have positive control over a prisoner awaiting court marshal.
    >
    > This is how you properly secure prisoners while abandoning ship. And all it takes is a few sub routines.
    >
    > So enough with this "oh we have to let them go to save them." ****. No. You don't.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Okay - I will actually concede that it was a little convienient that she was allowed free reign of the ship once she was out. I guess one could argue that everything and everyone was preoccupied with damage control, but that's just speculation.
    >
    > However, some aspects of the scenario you suggest wouldn't work.
    > Firstly, no abandon ship order was given by that point.
    > Secondly, there was nothing much actually left of the brig - just a gaping hole to open space and what was left of Burnham's cell.
    > Unless they sent someone in an enviroment suit with a thruster pack (hardly the best use of someone's time with the ship blowing up around them) they'd open that door to be blown out into space.

Outside of VERY few circunstance there is ZERO reason for Burnham to be let loose. ZERO. And when she is, she MUST be under escort.

I don't care how you phrase it guys, this is a SERIOUS breech of security onboard a ship. Captains of ships have been relieved of command for less. No ifs, ands or buts about it.

The only circunstances i can see to let her out are as follows:
    Warp core breach
    Loss of all ship power
    Abandon ship

If the ship is still under command of someone and still operation her behind stays in the BRIG with zero computer access.

PERIOD.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • ryan218ryan218 Member Posts: 36,106 Arc User
    You realise this is the same Starfleet which programmes its computers to accept a Captain's authorisation code and voiceprint from the Bridge even though said Captain isn't even on the bridge, right? And which allowed the ship's command codes to be locked out with said authorisation from a location said Captain wasn't even at?!

Also, I seem to recall Paris being allowed computer access when he was brigged, and he was supposedly under 'solitary confinement'.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    > @valoreah said:
    >
    > It does not take an entire crew even under a battle to move 1 prisoner. Takes 1 to 2 people out of what 2-300? So yeah gimmie a break.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Going to go out a limb and say that the crew had more important things to worry about at the time... their attention was focused where it should have been.
    >
    > Silliness like this is nitpicking for the sake of nitpicking.

THANK YOU! Like I said before: damage control is EVERYONE'S job, not just dedicated duty officers' (they only MANAGE damage control).
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    > @ryan218 said:
    > You realise this is the same Starfleet which programmes its computers to accept a Captain's authorisation code and voiceprint from the Bridge even though said Captain isn't even on the bridge, right? And which allowed the ship's command codes to be locked out with said authorisation from a location said Captain wasn't even at?!
    >
    > Also, I seem to recall Paris being allowed computer access when he was brigged, and he was supposedly under 'solitary confinement'.

Yes I do and these are major breeches in security.

But another fun fact. When you get sent to the brig awaiting trial, guess what, the brig is now your appointed place of duty. Yes that's the way it works in any military or military like service. Even in the Coast Guard.

So for Burnham to leave the brig, that's abandoning her appointed place of duty. At a minimum that under the UCMJ is article 89, Unauthorized Absence. At worst desertion of your post in the face of the enemy, which along with Mutiny is a capital crime.

A few other crimes could be tossed on Burnham. Let's run them shall we?

Unauthorized use of a computer to circumvent security
    Disobeying a Lawful order for the what 2nd or 3rd time?
    Conduct unbecoming
    Unauthorized Absence
    And possibly desertion(a damn good case can be made here).

And yet many keep trying to say Burnham did nothing wrong leaving the brig?

Wrong. I mean seriously, this kind of mentality that she was in the right for humanitarian reasons is hand wringing at best and asinine at worst.
    afMSv4g.jpg