test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

My problems with TRIBBLE

Comments

• starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    valoreah wrote: »
    I also seem to recall other officers, such as Gary Mitchell, William Riker and Reginald Barclay (to name a few) being given god-like levels of abilities....

What exactly makes them any different? Other than you just don't like Discovery?

The fact that they only had god-like powers for a limited amount of time. The closest Star Trek character to Stamets is Kes since she became more and more powerful over time until she finally transcended.
  • artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    Stamets never had god-like power though, at most, he saw through temporal loops, and started having visions of other universes, but he never had the ability to just snap his fingers and alter the fabric of space-time or anything.

Being a bit picky but that's some gods raison d'être. Heimdallr for example or Argus Panoptes or Janus. Their power is looking through time and space.

Not all gods are reality warpers.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    > @artan42 said:
    > somtaawkhar wrote: »
    >
    > Stamets never had god-like power though, at most, he saw through temporal loops, and started having visions of other universes, but he never had the ability to just snap his fingers and alter the fabric of space-time or anything.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Being a bit picky but that's some gods raison d'être. Heimdallr for example or Argus Panoptes or Janus. Their power is looking through time and space.
    >
    > Not all gods are reality warpers.​​

Or when Riker was made a Q for a while. Hell some people realize when we can actually properly use 100% of our brains like Lucy, humanity would be able to transcend space and time.

Which is interesting if you ask me.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
    starkaos wrote: »
    The fact that they only had god-like powers for a limited amount of time. The closest Star Trek character to Stamets is Kes since she became more and more powerful over time until she finally transcended.
    Stamets never had god-like power though, at most, he saw through temporal loops, and started having visions of other universes, but he never had the ability to just snap his fingers and alter the fabric of space-time or anything.

Being able to see other universes is god-like power. There are omniscient, omnipresence, and omnipotent for god-like powers not just omnipotent.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    talonxv wrote: »
    Or when Riker was made a Q for a while. Hell some people realize when we can actually properly use 100% of our brains like Lucy, humanity would be able to transcend space and time.

Which is interesting if you ask me.
    No it's not. People don't use 100% of their brain CONSTANTLY, the active part shifts based on what you're doing. Certain parts get used more often than others, but all of it gets used.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
    > @markhawkman said:
    > talonxv wrote: »
    >
    > Or when Riker was made a Q for a while. Hell some people realize when we can actually properly use 100% of our brains like Lucy, humanity would be able to transcend space and time.
    >
    > Which is interesting if you ask me.
    >
    >
    >
    > No it's not. People don't use 100% of their brain CONSTANTLY, the active part shifts based on what you're doing. Certain parts get used more often than others, but all of it gets used.

Well that's what I mean. 100% full capacity. I've seen the human brain would make even the fastest computer look like a wind up toy
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    We do use 100% of our brains. And trying to use everything at full capacity constantly would lead only to madness, swiftly followed by cooking the brain in its own juices. Our issues have to do with cognitive functions, not processing speed, and overclocking the cerebellum isn't going to help.

As for Kirk's career errors costing lives, I refer you to the episode "Obsession". While it turned out Kirk's error as a lieutenant aboard the Farragut eleven years earlier didn't in fact kill 200 crewmembers (turned out that shooting the gas creature with phasers would have been about as effective as you'd imagine using energy weapons on a gas cloud might be), he may well have killed Rizzo by insisting that McCoy revive the ensign with cordrazine so that he could be questioned about the attack on the away team, and came a hair's-breadth away from killing Ensign Garrovick by confining him to quarters during the same time period that the creature attacked Enterprise (it entered through the ventilation system, and got into Garrovick's quarters). In fact, the only reason Garrovick survived was because Spock entered his quarters and flushed the creature out of the ventilation system; fortunately, Spock was immune from its attack, because it ate hemoglobin and Vulcans use cyanoglobin. There are a number of other incidents in other episodes for which Kirk could plausibly be blamed as well; for instance, the death of Lt. Tomlinson in a phaser-coolant leak in "Balance of Terror" could be traced fairly directly to Kirk's insistence on pursuit of the cloaked Romulan ship, rather than returning to the nearest starbase to report on it.

Also, in ST:TMP, two crew members died in a transporter accident, a direct result of Admiral Kirk ordering the ship to depart before her systems were properly tested. By way of punishment, he remained in command of Enterprise, with an acting rank of Captain but a permanent rank of Rear Admiral, until being reassigned again to Starfleet Operations sometime before ST:TWoK and resuming his upward climb.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    patrickngo wrote: »
    Burnham's mutiny directly resulted in the deaths of her crewmates and her captain, but she did not have the legitimate authority to make those calls.
    Yeah, no. The Klingons were planning to shot the ship to pieces anyways.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Burnham's mutiny directly resulted in the deaths of her crewmates and her captain, but she did not have the legitimate authority to make those calls.

If Burnham was able to have her mutiny succeed, then the Shenzhou might have been saved. If the Shenzhou never attacked, then everyone would be dead or enslaved, but the war would have never started. Klingons need an enemy to fight and if the Federation never fought back, then the Klingons would have tried some other race to attack or just fight themselves some more.
    starkaos wrote: »
    If Burnham was able to have her mutiny succeed, then the Shenzhou might have been saved. If the Shenzhou never attacked, then everyone would be dead or enslaved, but the war would have never started. Klingons need an enemy to fight and if the Federation never fought back, then the Klingons would have tried some other race to attack or just fight themselves some more.
    That or find another excuse to start the war....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    > @jonsills said:
    > We do use 100% of our brains. And trying to use everything at full capacity constantly would lead only to madness, swiftly followed by cooking the brain in its own juices. Our issues have to do with cognitive functions, not processing speed, and overclocking the cerebellum isn't going to help.
    >
    > As for Kirk's career errors costing lives, I refer you to the episode "Obsession". While it turned out Kirk's error as a lieutenant aboard the Farragut eleven years earlier didn't in fact kill 200 crewmembers (turned out that shooting the gas creature with phasers would have been about as effective as you'd imagine using energy weapons on a gas cloud might be), he may well have killed Rizzo by insisting that McCoy revive the ensign with cordrazine so that he could be questioned about the attack on the away team, and came a hair's-breadth away from killing Ensign Garrovick by confining him to quarters during the same time period that the creature attacked Enterprise (it entered through the ventilation system, and got into Garrovick's quarters). In fact, the only reason Garrovick survived was because Spock entered his quarters and flushed the creature out of the ventilation system; fortunately, Spock was immune from its attack, because it ate hemoglobin and Vulcans use cyanoglobin. There are a number of other incidents in other episodes for which Kirk could plausibly be blamed as well; for instance, the death of Lt. Tomlinson in a phaser-coolant leak in "Balance of Terror" could be traced fairly directly to Kirk's insistence on pursuit of the cloaked Romulan ship, rather than returning to the nearest starbase to report on it.
    >
    > Also, in ST:TMP, two crew members died in a transporter accident, a direct result of Admiral Kirk ordering the ship to depart before her systems were properly tested. By way of punishment, he remained in command of Enterprise, with an acting rank of Captain but a permanent rank of Rear Admiral, until being reassigned again to Starfleet Operations sometime before ST:TWoK and resuming his upward climb.

And in TWOK Kirk got a lot of crew hurt or killed because he ignored general orders and didn't have his shields up approaching the Reliant. Hell by a big dose of luck he didn't lose the Enterprise right there.
    afMSv4g.jpg

> @starkaos said:
    > markhawkman wrote: »
    >
    > patrickngo wrote: »
    >
    > Burnham's mutiny directly resulted in the deaths of her crewmates and her captain, but she did not have the legitimate authority to make those calls.
    >
    >
    >
    > Yeah, no. The Klingons were planning to shot the ship to pieces anyways.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > If Burnham was able to have her mutiny succeed, then the Shenzhou might have been saved. If the Shenzhou never attacked, then everyone would be dead or enslaved, but the war would have never started. Klingons need an enemy to fight and if the Federation never fought back, then the Klingons would have tried some other race to attack or just fight themselves some more.

Maybe, maybe not. Irregardless she would of been court marshaled the second she got back.

Either way Burnham broke the rulea and regs of Starfleet. She deserved to go down hard and stay down till she was old and grey.

Only one place for mutineers unlesa they have a really really good reason for mutiny. And Burnham did NOT.
    afMSv4g.jpg

• angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User

Maybe, maybe not. Irregardless she would of been court marshaled the second she got back.

Either way Burnham broke the rulea and regs of Starfleet. She deserved to go down hard and stay down till she was old and grey.

Only one place for mutineers unlesa they have a really really good reason for mutiny. And Burnham did NOT.

Her reason was that Sarek force-called her (because they can do that!) and told her she has to shoot first - which is exactly what T'Kuvma needed. The stupid "Vulcan Hello" thing never came up while the Admirals of Starfleet sat in the dark and played poker, apparently. The whole "Mutiny - Redemption" arc was terrible constructed...​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    angrytarg wrote: »

Her reason was that Sarek force-called her (because they can do that!) and told her she has to shoot first - which is exactly what T'Kuvma needed. The stupid "Vulcan Hello" thing never came up while the Admirals of Starfleet sat in the dark and played poker, apparently. The whole "Mutiny - Redemption" arc was terrible constructed...

It probably didn't come up because we never saw the whole trial. It was a summary before she was carted off not a courtroom episode.

If she had been the captain and utilised the Vulcan Hello she'd probably got away with it. She was convicted of mutiny not starting a war so the legitimacy of the Vulcan Hello is not relevant to the trial.

I think even the famously insane Starfleet admiralty might have understood the war was inevitable and T'Kuvma was looking to unify the Empire in the only way he knew how.
    Her reason was that Sarek force-called her (because they can do that!)

Compared to storing your bloody soul in a jar to allow you to be resurrected, it's a down right reasonable use of psychic powers.​​
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    ...Sarek force-called her (because they can do that!)...​​
    TOS: "The Immunity Syndrome". Spock sensed the deaths of the Vulcan crew of USS Intrepid.
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
    Spock was also somehow psychically aware of the location of V'Ger.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    jonsills wrote: »
    ...Sarek force-called her (because they can do that!)...​​
    TOS: "The Immunity Syndrome". Spock sensed the deaths of the Vulcan crew of USS Intrepid.

Being able to sense the deaths of a hundred Vulcans is far easier than sending telepathic messages to one person. It is essentially the same as listening to a crowd yelling vs. a person talking to you.
    > @starkaos said:
    > jonsills wrote: »
    >
    > angrytarg wrote: »
    >
    > ...Sarek force-called her (because they can do that!)...​​
    >
    >
    >
    > TOS: "The Immunity Syndrome". Spock sensed the deaths of the Vulcan crew of USS Intrepid.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Being able to sense the deaths of a hundred Vulcans is far easier than sending telepathic messages to one person. It is essentially the same as listening to a crowd yelling vs. a person talking to you.

Not only that, Vulcans are Empaths over a distance, but need physical touch for telepathic. Least as far as I knew.
    afMSv4g.jpg

Depends on the level of contact. Someone who mind melds often doesn't need the same level of contact. Also Vulcan powers are often understated. One weird thing is that most Vulcans don't TRY to use their powers to their full potential. In fact they make a conscious effort to avoid using them.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Vulcans got more and more superpowers over time and are now essentially socially awkward supermen. Telepathically speaking to someone on the other end of the quadrant is just Palantir level of Magix. I am almost certain we see Vulcans or even Burnham start to levitate during DSC's run...
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    what other end of the quadrant? the binary star system where the beacon was is only about a few dozen to a hundred LY from vulcan according to that map on discovery (which is presumably where sarek was at the time)​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
    I was using hyperbole to make a point. The actual distance being "a few dozen LYs" doesn't make it any more believable. ;)
    lFC4bt2.gif
    I was using hyperbole to make a point. The actual distance being "a few dozen LYs" doesn't make it any more believable. ;)

Again, unlike the hard science of resurrection?

#TASforSTO

> @artan42 said:

>
    >
    >
    > Again, unlike the hard science of resurrection?

Sure. Yesterday I accidentally impaled a colleague on my shoulder spike. Just took some augment blood and sweet talking and she was fine again xP

(Stop whatabouting, I explicitly said they got so many stupid superpowers. But from my perspective ST3 already existed, force calls are an arsepull if there ever was one xD)
    lFC4bt2.gif
    > @reyan01 said:

> It'll be interesting to see if they follow-through with what they did have planned. A cut-scene at the end of 'Will you take my hand' had MU Georgiou approached by Section 31....
    > https://youtube.com/watch?v=1r04XSf6UGs

What they have planned, already been leaked we're going to see a very emotional Spock. Which I am not thrilled for, unless there are some major extenuating circumstances. Like the few times it happened to Spock, something major went down.

And I swear, if they pull the stunt I am afraid they are going to between Spock and Burnham, the fit will hit the shan.
    afMSv4g.jpg

> @reyan01 said:
    > talonxv wrote: »
    >
    > > @reyan01 said:
    >
    > > It'll be interesting to see if they follow-through with what they did have planned. A cut-scene at the end of 'Will you take my hand' had MU Georgiou approached by Section 31....
    > >
    >
    > What they have planned, already been leaked we're going to see a very emotional Spock. Which I am not thrilled for, unless there are some major extenuating circumstances. Like the few times it happened to Spock, something major went down.
    >
    > And I swear, if they pull the stunt I am afraid they are going to between Spock and Burnham, the fit will hit the shan.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Hadn't seen anything pertaining to that.
    > My comment was entirely focused on what they may or may not do with Emperor Georgiou, with the attached cut scene (her invitation to join Section 31) in mind.

It's in a recent article from Kertzman. I have a bad feeling about how they are going to portray Spock.

I got the interview second hand from Overlord DVD on YouTube. I can't find it myself ATM and warning he hates DSC more than anyone I've seen but here it is:
    https://youtu.be/1LRkiXX8akE
    Yes he's over dramatic and plays up the evil villain for fun, but that's the only place I've seen the article.

So just watch with a healthy dose of salt.
    afMSv4g.jpg

Yes, psychic powers, believable, sure.

*points at TMP and how Spock knew where V'Ger was before the crew of Enterprise did*
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing