test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO: Age of Discovery - Excited YEAH/NAY

Comments

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    I am seriously considering a very extended break from STO when the TRIBBLE content arrives.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    storules wrote: »
    Based on these current poll numbers I guess one can infer perhaps that Discovery is similar to Star Trek as Solo has been to Star Wars? Yikes.

I'm also open minded but can't avoid reading all the negative comments in this post. Still I really do hope the new Discovery season makes a turn around and get more positive reviews from those lucky enough to view it.​​
    Funny thing is that the slant on the poll is very different now than the first day it was posted. At first it was over 50% positive.

We also need to keep in mind that the forum represents a VERY small portion of the playerbase.

I daresay that a more 'open' poll - posted on (for example), the launcher page or the in-game splash page would yeild more votes and would be a more accurate reflection.

I wouldn't trust that poll to be a fair view of people's feelings either. Despite is showing a tiny proportion of the players, one thing i noticed on the forum was that as soon as the Discovery content was announced suddenly a lot of new/recent accounts were popping up raving in their displeasure at the content decision.
    Sure there's plenty of the regulars who dislike it but it struck me as odd that so many new faces suddenly appeared, just as something controversial was being put forward.
    Maybe i'm just being cynical...... ;)
    SulMatuul.png
  • pork77pork77 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    I don't like DSC excepr for some of the designs. I still cheer for it in STO just to boink those that whine about SJW content. DSC has big problems, but if you complain about that you got bigger ones xD

Thank you for that. I was surprised how many people who play a Star Trek game hate what Star Trek always was: a statement for social justice.

I just recently watched the first Discovery season, and I enjoyed it a lot more than any JJ-Trek I've watched... but that's just me...
    3U3C0SJ.jpg

... and of course, I'd love to have a T5/6 Kamarag, like there is a T5/6 Ambassador.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    Looks like the 'no' group are winning at the moment. :open_mouth:
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    yes.
    jonsills wrote: »
    Apparently since this fellow doesn't like ST:D, it therefore must be unpopular with everyone, because he has the very epitome of good taste. Netflix signed on for overseas distribution of Season 2 because they just love losing customers, obviously.

Also, there's a point that's been permitted to slide here, but The Orville is not a parody of Star Trek, despite the way that Fox has tried to sell it, and any insistence that it is shows that the one insisting hasn't watched much of it. Yes, MacFarlane used TNG as a stepping-off point (I usually describe it to folks who haven't seen it yet as "TNG with real humans instead of Roddenberry paragons"), but there's nothing in there that "parodies" anything, except for lazy sci-fi tropes (like the takedown of macho all-male militaristic aliens in "About a Girl").

For the Orville - I more like: "It's Star Trek the original series with TNG style set designs." ;)

(And I like BOTH ST: D and TO. <--- Sacrilege I know as for some "There can be only one truly popular space based sci-fi show.." ;))
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,100 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    patrickngo wrote: »
    that's not forgiveable for me. If your main character is a superhero (and Marysue Burnham is absolutely superhero-esque in her ability to avoid consequences and get away with juvenile behaviours while succeeding constantly and always being 'right in the end'...)
    ^^^
    You do realize you just described the character of Data (from ST: TNG); as well as described most of the episode story resolutions OF ST:TNG episodes with that paragraph, right?
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    it was consistent through MOST of the series. Part of that whole "optimistic future" gag-shooting people didn't solve problems, but fast-talking often did.
    Yeah, when was the Federation ever a utopia? Sure people made bold claims, but... when did we SEE that? Oh yeah, only on Earth.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • pork77pork77 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    Kirk always took a beating when fighting, actually one of the few things JJ got right in his first movie, in the bar fight with the Starfleet cadets. But in his first big fight, when he was fighting Gary Mitchell, he tanked until Elizabeth Dehner intervened... my point is, Kirk did fight, and he also won fights, but the important fights he won either via superior thinking (e.g. against the Gorn in Arena) or via superior thinking. And when he won via violence, at least in the series, he didn't just win, but he used his victory to teach a lesson in civilisation.
    3U3C0SJ.jpg

... and of course, I'd love to have a T5/6 Kamarag, like there is a T5/6 Ambassador.
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    I can get behind this on one condition. That ALL discovery content added by the expansion and not pre-existing in the game already by that time be locked behind a sector space wall the way the Romulan and 23rd century starting content is, and this time, do not provide a way to move into the 25th century era of STO. That way, the discovery universe can expand completely unto itself for everyone interested and those of us who want as little to do with it as possible don't have to have it shoved in our face.

Or they could do it like CBS does. Paywall all the TRIBBLE content completely. Including the missions. Similar to how LOTRO and DDO offer mission packs for regions.
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    it was consistent through MOST of the series. Part of that whole "optimistic future" gag-shooting people didn't solve problems, but fast-talking often did.
    Yeah, when was the Federation ever a utopia? Sure people made bold claims, but... when did we SEE that? Oh yeah, only on Earth.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pG8o8aOuhE
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    ichaerus1 wrote: »
    Or they could do it like CBS does. Paywall all the TRIBBLE content completely. Including the missions. Similar to how LOTRO and DDO offer mission packs for regions.

Nah, that would be stupid. Remember 'Spaceballs, the placemat'?! That's what we are: 'ST:D, the game.' There's a reason CBS was so eager to 'cooperate' with Cryptic.. we're their mechandising: where the real money of the series is made. CBS loves nothing better than a concurrently running game next to their series (and one Cryptic has to pay for, no less). Welcome to the wonderful world of Treksploitation.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    valoreah wrote: »
    When i see what they made with Star Wars, the best things that can happen to the Star trek franchise is to be bought by Disney...

Imagine that, Disney buy star trek and get rid of all the morrons that actualy run the franchise and put Michael & Denise Okuda as consultants and guardians of the canon, Rick Berman, Ira Bher and Brannon Bragga as producer/directors, to setup a new show post Nemesis....

Interesting choice as Brannon Braga is directly responsible for most of (if not all) the worst of Star Trek of the post TOS era.

Braga killed Kirk. As Captain Pike is fond of saying...*beep* *beep*
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    [quote=@valoreah]

[quote=patrickngo]
    except, Kirk's opponents were usually (though not always) able to gain the upper hand. Jim kirk rarely won with his fists, he had to rely on his brains. (people tend to ignore that Kirk tended to lose fights once they turned physical in the show. he's had to be rescued more often than Princess Peach during that 5 year mission.)[/quote]

Huh?? Are you sure you were watching Star Trek??
    Kirk beat Khan - the genetic "super man" with "5 times his strength"... whooped Finnegan in "Shore Leave"...
    I mean, come on.... beating up bad guys (sometimes several of them at once) is something Kirk is absolutely famous for.[/quote]

He also beat up a Romulan in 'Enterprise Incident'.....but his true power lay in his ability to fast-talk just about anyone. About the only person his act didn't work on was the Romulan Commander (whose own description of her duties was more in line of those of a Rear or Vice Admiral than a mere Commander, a O-6 Captain in Starfleet) in that same episode, she saw right through him and that mission would have been a disaster if not for her falling hard for Spock.
  • themadrigogsthemadrigogs Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    No. There is some merit in the idea that STO writers could make it better, but I doubt they'd be allowed to fix the big problems, so the only real draw to the new content is dead on arrival.
    [T]hey could do it like CBS does. Paywall all the TRIBBLE content completely. Including the missions. Similar to how LOTRO and DDO offer mission packs for regions.

I really like this idea. Very thematic -- an "All Access" pack where 95% of the content is from CBS procedurals and '50s sitcoms.
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Nah, that would be stupid. Remember 'Spaceballs, the placemat'?! That's what we are: 'ST:D, the game.' There's a reason CBS was so eager to 'cooperate' with Cryptic.. we're their mechandising: where the real money of the series is made. CBS loves nothing better than a concurrently running game next to their series (and one Cryptic has to pay for, no less). Welcome to the wonderful world of Treksploitation.

I don't think that's quite fair. There is no doubt in my mind that the people making Discovery are proud of what they are putting out. That, of course, is one of the issues, because there are huge problems that, so far, they show no interest in dealing with. The comparison to Solo is more apt than people allow; just as we got a movie that went out of its way to explain things that didn't require explanations (where did Han Solo get his name?), it looks like they are about to make a season to explain why Spock smiled once in The Cage. There is a huge disconnect between what the producers choose to focus on and what the fans are talking about, but the combination of ego, echo chambers, and the sunk cost fallacy has created a culture of defensiveness that keeps them from acknowledging their mistakes and working to correct them. They have dug themselves a large hole, and now stand around to admire the walls. Again, I would love to believe that the STO team were going to go ahead and fix it for these problems, but I can't imagine that they would be allowed to (and if the insipid, nonsensical Martok reference to "Klingon heroes" is any indication, they may not even want to).
    questerius wrote: »
    I am seriously considering a very extended break from STO when the TRIBBLE content arrives.

I got the summer ship, so I'm just starting my break now. No reason to wait. I'm happy that people will get something that they love (or at least have convinced themselves that they love), but I have no interest in seeing a flood of more Discovery content hit the game. It might as well be Westworld or Adventure Time as far as I'm concerned; it just doesn't interest me, and I don't think it belongs (at least in its current state). I'm sure the focus will go back to more Trek-related content in the future.
  • themadrigogsthemadrigogs Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    (response to redacted post removed) - darkbladejk
    Post edited by darkbladejk on
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »

Why would it be stupid? Throw the TRIBBLE episode pack into the zen store. Just like the zen store ships. It wouldn't be Pay to Win(unless Cryptic decided to make a version of Leck's Throwing Knives that comes with automatic critical, or there's a phaser weapon that disables enemy ship on crits without internal cooldown/lockout period). Those that want it, can purchase it. Those that don't, aren't required to get it. Make it between 1k to 2k for the mission pack. Not counting the TRIBBLE ships. Make TRIBBLE ship bridges, sell those for 2k zen or however much it cost. Cryptic makes money from that, and the mission packs, then they hand over CBS's share. And it would be possible to use the injection of money to hire additional staff. Staff that could work on code to try and fix a bunch of bugs with the game. Or to pump out higher quality episodes. It beats hearing devs make excuses for certain things, ignoring needed fixes and some promises fulfilled, or kicking the can down the line on things that had been languishing for a long time.
This discussion has been closed.