test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Fighting the Bugs

No, I don't mean the Hur'q, but actual bugs. And to be honest, it belongs in the general discussion coz I believe that a lot of people are fed up with it that those bugs are spoiling the immergion into Star Trek and the multitude of them is way over the top.

For example, I just did the end mission of the Jem'Hadar arc and guess what, after the boring round of talking to each personality that is included in that arc, it doesn't complete at all, although I get the notice that this mission has been completed. Instead, I am back at the Hur'q Dreadnought. No need to say that I am not in the mood to restart the mission at that point after a half hour of button bashing, in the hope that the mission will finish.

Another example is the addition of Garak in the conference room at the start of the Gamma Arc. Nothing against it, but c'mon, the moment Garak start his part of the conversation, it gets spoiled by the old audio file that is running over Garaks audio.

And it keeps on piling up, from clipping uniforms of NPC's over to frankly to be said BAD ANIMATION of mouths to gaps in heads and so on.

I wonder, ain't it time to slowly switch over to a new engine for the game ? You can repair and add on to an old car engine whatever you want, but at a certain point it becomes useless and the engine is no longer rescuable.

Nor should we be accepting anylonger the "easy" excuse of "it's software, so it can be bugged". To use the same car anology, when a car technician is keep on repairing the same engine over and over again but the next week that same engine returns to the shop with another defect and at the end of the road it's still not spinning like a kitten, we should assume that either the engine is not repairable or not capable to function with extra add ons. There is nothing wrong with admitting that and find a engine replacement or a total new one.

I believe it's time for a serious overhaul of the game and it's mechanics before there should be even talk about a new season. It's no longer an issue of willing but rather a neccesity before it brakes down.

These are only my two cents.

Comments

• Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,547 Arc User
    > I wonder, ain't it time to slowly switch over to a new engine for the game ?

See: FCT sticky thread.

If you have a spare $10 million to donate to Cryptic for this project, go ahead.

Would a new engine be nice? Sure, of course. So would 24 new story episodes per year, and getting voice acting from all of the Captains while they're still with us.

Cryptic is a small company, STO is a small MMO, and revenue is modest compared to WoW, Fortnite, Overwatch.
  • Options
    ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    Op the engine is only part of the problem, there are other factors contributing to the constant addition of bugged or broken new content. I'll say no more.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • Options
    adorkabledoriadorkabledori Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    > I wonder, ain't it time to slowly switch over to a new engine for the game ?

See: FCT sticky thread.

If you have a spare $10 million to donate to Cryptic for this project, go ahead.

Would a new engine be nice? Sure, of course. So would 24 new story episodes per year, and getting voice acting from all of the Captains while they're still with us.

Cryptic is a small company, STO is a small MMO, and revenue is modest compared to WoW, Fortnite, Overwatch.

Ever heard of the business quote: "If you wanna make money, you need to invest money"

• Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    I'm not sure about a new engine but regular bug fixing passes between content updates could go a long way for this game. These would need to be as frequent as the content updates themselves. This can't just happen to the newer content it needs done to older content as well.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    What makes you think they DON'T? Seriously, they fix old stuff too.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    casualstocasualsto Member Posts: 672 Arc User
    The actual fixes are surface fixes or fixes done to the newly implemented content. The legacy code is a top risk. The replacement of certain parts/missions or previous stuff is a fine-work to be made. Especially since you can ruin the whole package really bad. Which would be a disaster of epic proportions. Tables and formulas are one thing, but trying to polish 8 year-old stuff on a 9-year old engine who got polished amazingly is simply a thing not to be done.

But all of us love fixes and boosts, besides new content.
  • Options
    ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Wrong forum for bug reports. @baddmoonrizin

was wondering when you'd surface and attempt to derail the thread
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,482 Community Moderator
    Bugs are to be reported in the Bug Forum. /Thread.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.