test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So, just WHAT is Age of Discovery

sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
There's a good chance I've missed it in the advertising copy or voluminous discussions, but what, exactly, is AoD? They've conspicuously refrained from calling it a Season, and I can't imagine it's intended to be taken as a new expansion so soon after VIL. It looks to me like a revisiting of the AoY new beginning missions sort of structure, but they called that an expansion (and it did have episodes not directly related to the Temporal Recruit system). So, what is Age of Discovery?
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Best Answers

• Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited August 2018 Answer ✓
    Age of Discovery is a multi-season arc that will bring DSC content into the game. From the most recent Ten Forward Weekly interview (linked below) it will eventually mirror the scope of an expansion but built over time (so they don't have to wait until X5 to tackle this in full). That said, STO will not be exclusively DSC focused during AoD. Other characters, events, and series will be involved, and there may be significant detours before AoD is officially completed. The devs described AoD as "like Agents of Yesterday but with Discovery."

Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited August 2018 Answer ✓
    Yeah, it's neither a season nor an expansion, it's a new beast never seen in STO before. A paradigm shift in the way they add content to STO. If Star Trek: Discovery continues for several more seasons and lasts several more years, then the "Age of Discovery" may continue for as long as Star Trek: Discovery does.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg

Answers

• Options
    crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,113 Arc User
    sirmayday wrote: »
    There's a good chance I've missed it in the advertising copy or voluminous discussions, but what, exactly, is AoD? They've conspicuously refrained from calling it a Season, and I can't imagine it's intended to be taken as a new expansion so soon after VIL. It looks to me like a revisiting of the AoY new beginning missions sort of structure, but they called that an expansion (and it did have episodes not directly related to the Temporal Recruit system). So, what is Age of Discovery?

Basically it is the next 'Season' (whether they are getting away from calling things 'Seasons' anymore, who knows); but it basically has an amount of content one would expect for a 'Season' update.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    CBS said "Make Discovery content and have it come out when we launch Season 2." Then Cryptic said "Yes sir."
  • Options
    Honestly the devs seem pretty happy about it, so... yeah, they probably wanted to.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    Given what they've done with one-off villain of the week enemies? trhey could make a season long story about meeting races in the Andromeda Galaxy.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    I recall Geko saying, back around the time AoY was going to launch, that they had ideas all the way to expansion 5, and they have said this is basically an expansion over time, so this would be Xpack5.

I'm not so sure that what we're seeing with AoD represents that original plan. Cryptic was surprised by the level of support CBS is offering STO and that, by the account on Ten Forward, came into focus with relatively recent meetings. There were earlier conversations too, but from what we were told (and when these took place, not that long before the DSC lock box) those did not include information that could have been previously incorporated into Cryptic's existing multi-year plan (around AoY) beyond "make something for the new show."

Plus, given that this is adopting a season-by-season approach I don't think that AoD is going to replace the 5th full expansion since that can still be in development as per normal while the parts of AoD cycle through (as seasons would).
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,646 Arc User
    Thanks for the highlights of the stream. It's very interesting.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
This discussion has been closed.