test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online: Age of Discovery

Comments

• lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Jesus, some of the utter hogwash being spewed in here by the Discovery hate brigade really makes me ashamed to be associated with Trek.
    There’s apartig this fandom that are stuck so far up rheir own backsides they simply cannot fathom the material on screen not following their exact demands for canon. It’s like people forgot that the difference between TOS and TNG was pretty massive at first and that all played out nicely. Some seem so blinded by hatred yet have never even watched the show! And yet they gave the cheek to make demands of the game because of their personal anger.
    SulMatuul.png
  • lostmindfinditlostmindfindit Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    > @reyan01 said:

Wouldn’t a “true fan” ironically be someone who does like Discovery and all of Star Trek?

So everyone should stop using that as a point

So a Star Wars fan MUST love Jar-Jar and the prequel triolgy because it's stars wars? A Terminator fan must love the 3 and genesys because it's terminator?

NO it's not fan problem, the real problem is CBS/Paramount, trying to kill the franchise since 2009... in fact since 2006 with "It's A Wrap! sale and auction" when they trown away all material to be sure that no one can make a tv show or a movie in the TNG era, to be sure that the cost of recreate all the sets and props will be so huge, that a new TNG era show will never happen.

The JJverse and DSC are not Star Trek, the franchise is sleeping since the last episode of ENT.... And that's why STO is so great, it let us live our dream, our dream about a show that takes place after the Bassen rift's events...

And we don't want this dream to stop.

Again, you don't get to decide what is and isn't Star Trek.

dont we?
    better shows than TRIBBLE were killed off for a slight drop in ratings, ultimately audience and its refusal to watch something is a bell toll for the show.

TRIBBLE exists and its a fact, do we all need to accept it and love it just becouse somone took plastic aliens, kitbash ships and slapped starfleet logo on it and called it startrek?

what i want personaly is for it to be kept as far away from proper startrek canon, if someone wants to play a game set in it? go ahead but do it as far away from me.
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    > @reyan01 said:
    > lostmindfindit wrote: »
    >
    > reyan01 wrote: »
    >
    > anyajenkins wrote: »
    >
    > marty123#3757 wrote: »
    >
    > > @reyan01 said:
    >
    > Wouldn’t a “true fan” ironically be someone who does like Discovery and all of Star Trek?
    >
    > So everyone should stop using that as a point
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > So a Star Wars fan MUST love Jar-Jar and the prequel triolgy because it's stars wars? A Terminator fan must love the 3 and genesys because it's terminator?
    >
    > NO it's not fan problem, the real problem is CBS/Paramount, trying to kill the franchise since 2009... in fact since 2006 with "It's A Wrap! sale and auction" when they trown away all material to be sure that no one can make a tv show or a movie in the TNG era, to be sure that the cost of recreate all the sets and props will be so huge, that a new TNG era show will never happen.
    >
    > The JJverse and DSC are not Star Trek, the franchise is sleeping since the last episode of ENT.... And that's why STO is so great, it let us live our dream, our dream about a show that takes place after the Bassen rift's events...
    >
    > And we don't want this dream to stop.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Again, you don't get to decide what is and isn't Star Trek.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > dont we?
    > better shows than TRIBBLE were killed off for a slight drop in ratings, ultimately audience and its refusal to watch something is a bell toll for the show.
    >
    > TRIBBLE exists and its a fact, do we all need to accept it and love it just becouse somone took plastic aliens, kitbash ships and slapped starfleet logo on it and called it startrek?
    >
    > what i want personaly is for it to be kept as far away from proper startrek canon, if someone wants to play a game set in it? go ahead but do it as far away from me.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Fortunately S1 of DSC appeared to do pretty well on the viewer-front, particuarly on Netflix.
    >
    > No-one (or at least 'I' am not) saying that you "need to accept it and love it just becouse somone took plastic aliens, kitbash ships and slapped starfleet logo on it and called it startrek".
    > My (personal) issue is NOT whether or not anyone hates DSC - I couldn't care less about that and am of the opinion that you can like/hate whatever you wish. Heck, I hate the Scimitar class - but I've never told anyone who likes it that they shouldn't.
    >
    > MY personal issue is these comments made by so-called fans who think they have the ability and authority to declare what is and isn't Star Trek

And then told anyone who likes Discovery that they shouldn’t :steamsalty:
    Well said @reyan01.
    SulMatuul.png
  • stormstryke2stormstryke2 Member Posts: 252 Arc User
    I *do* miss the exploration clusters.

*drags a horse skeleton along the dusty road*

Carry on. ;-)

Ditto. Lost opportunity by Cryptic.
    > @reyan01 said:
    > marty123#3757 wrote: »
    >
    > > @reyan01 said:
    > > lostmindfindit wrote: »
    > >
    > > reyan01 wrote: »
    > >
    > > anyajenkins wrote: »
    > >
    > > marty123#3757 wrote: »
    > >
    > > > @reyan01 said:
    > >
    > > Wouldn’t a “true fan” ironically be someone who does like Discovery and all of Star Trek?
    > >
    > > So everyone should stop using that as a point
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > So a Star Wars fan MUST love Jar-Jar and the prequel triolgy because it's stars wars? A Terminator fan must love the 3 and genesys because it's terminator?
    > >
    > > NO it's not fan problem, the real problem is CBS/Paramount, trying to kill the franchise since 2009... in fact since 2006 with "It's A Wrap! sale and auction" when they trown away all material to be sure that no one can make a tv show or a movie in the TNG era, to be sure that the cost of recreate all the sets and props will be so huge, that a new TNG era show will never happen.
    > >
    > > The JJverse and DSC are not Star Trek, the franchise is sleeping since the last episode of ENT.... And that's why STO is so great, it let us live our dream, our dream about a show that takes place after the Bassen rift's events...
    > >
    > > And we don't want this dream to stop.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Again, you don't get to decide what is and isn't Star Trek.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > dont we?
    > > better shows than TRIBBLE were killed off for a slight drop in ratings, ultimately audience and its refusal to watch something is a bell toll for the show.
    > >
    > > TRIBBLE exists and its a fact, do we all need to accept it and love it just becouse somone took plastic aliens, kitbash ships and slapped starfleet logo on it and called it startrek?
    > >
    > > what i want personaly is for it to be kept as far away from proper startrek canon, if someone wants to play a game set in it? go ahead but do it as far away from me.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Fortunately S1 of DSC appeared to do pretty well on the viewer-front, particuarly on Netflix.
    > >
    > > No-one (or at least 'I' am not) saying that you "need to accept it and love it just becouse somone took plastic aliens, kitbash ships and slapped starfleet logo on it and called it startrek".
    > > My (personal) issue is NOT whether or not anyone hates DSC - I couldn't care less about that and am of the opinion that you can like/hate whatever you wish. Heck, I hate the Scimitar class - but I've never told anyone who likes it that they shouldn't.
    > >
    > > MY personal issue is these comments made by so-called fans who think they have the ability and authority to declare what is and isn't Star Trek
    >
    > And then told anyone who likes Discovery that they shouldn’t :steamsalty:
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > That's not what I said at all.

That’s what I’m saying, I’ve been told I shouldn’t like discovery because “breaks canon”
  • szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    Honestly, the thing that bothers me the most about this is not the subject matter; it's that it is another Federation-only thing.

If we're going to have the arbitrary restrictions between the "blue team versus the red team", then atleast provide parity.. please.
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User
    Hard to tell if this was asked in the 13 pages of (mostly) Discovery-related rantings:

1. Will there still be storyline development for the 2410 era, or is all new story content for the forseeable future going to be 2256? (was planning on asking content in general, but then remembered the whole T6 reputation thing that's gonna push everyone who cares into re-replaying the existing stuffs a few million times...)
    2. Are there plans to "integrate" 2410 characters, ships, etc. into this era, or is it going to be an "expanded" version of AoY where only the appropriately marked characters will be allowed to roam the 2256 era content (though obviously for much longer than a simple 10-ish level tutorial)
    3. If there is 2410 integration, are there plans to allow the KDF, RR, and Odo's Dominion to come play in the past too, or is this being restricted to Feddies only due to "compatibility issues"?
    4. Does this expansion/direction signal a "closing of the doors" on any hope of restoring even a modicum of "factional identity" to the groups, or are we all Feddies with a different rank bar/shiplist?
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • t0lat0la Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    I'm glad that there are a plethora of people who hate this as much as I do. I haven't even seen TRIBBLE because I refuse to fund CBS all access when every other country gets it on Netflix, which of course, I already have subscribed to for years. From what I understand, I'm not missing much. I've wanted CBS since the inception of this game (before Cryptic even got it) to invest in this game, as I thought it would be a great tie in. Cryptic has met my expectations with getting cast members back to portray their characters and even touched on loose plot threads and other aspects of the original series (plural). But this just offends me. If they are indeed undoing the last 7-8 years of storytelling in order to promote - in essence - CBS all access and that visual abomination that is TRIBBLE (#NotMyKlingons), then, I too, may be leaving. Maybe time to invest in Star Trek VR?
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    >
    > I have to say, that is one area in which we should all give ourselves a pat on the back.
    >
    > Interestingly, you mention Star Wars; whilst I am in NO way tarring anyone with the same brush - I am well aware that this was pretty much confined to particular social media groups, it can at least be said that Trek fans don't appear to have lowered themselves to creating racist, misogynistic Facebook groups and harassing actors such as that particuar element of the SW fanbase did following 'The Last Jedi'.

No they just do it on Twitter.
    JtaDmwW.png
    > @marty123#3757 said:
    > > @reyan01 said:
    > > marty123#3757 wrote: »
    > >
    > > > @reyan01 said:
    > > > lostmindfindit wrote: »
    > > >
    > > > reyan01 wrote: »
    > > >
    > > > anyajenkins wrote: »
    > > >
    > > > marty123#3757 wrote: »
    > > >
    > > > > @reyan01 said:
    > > >
    > > > Wouldn’t a “true fan” ironically be someone who does like Discovery and all of Star Trek?
    > > >
    > > > So everyone should stop using that as a point
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > So a Star Wars fan MUST love Jar-Jar and the prequel triolgy because it's stars wars? A Terminator fan must love the 3 and genesys because it's terminator?
    > > >
    > > > NO it's not fan problem, the real problem is CBS/Paramount, trying to kill the franchise since 2009... in fact since 2006 with "It's A Wrap! sale and auction" when they trown away all material to be sure that no one can make a tv show or a movie in the TNG era, to be sure that the cost of recreate all the sets and props will be so huge, that a new TNG era show will never happen.
    > > >
    > > > The JJverse and DSC are not Star Trek, the franchise is sleeping since the last episode of ENT.... And that's why STO is so great, it let us live our dream, our dream about a show that takes place after the Bassen rift's events...
    > > >
    > > > And we don't want this dream to stop.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Again, you don't get to decide what is and isn't Star Trek.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > dont we?
    > > > better shows than TRIBBLE were killed off for a slight drop in ratings, ultimately audience and its refusal to watch something is a bell toll for the show.
    > > >
    > > > TRIBBLE exists and its a fact, do we all need to accept it and love it just becouse somone took plastic aliens, kitbash ships and slapped starfleet logo on it and called it startrek?
    > > >
    > > > what i want personaly is for it to be kept as far away from proper startrek canon, if someone wants to play a game set in it? go ahead but do it as far away from me.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Fortunately S1 of DSC appeared to do pretty well on the viewer-front, particuarly on Netflix.
    > > >
    > > > No-one (or at least 'I' am not) saying that you "need to accept it and love it just becouse somone took plastic aliens, kitbash ships and slapped starfleet logo on it and called it startrek".
    > > > My (personal) issue is NOT whether or not anyone hates DSC - I couldn't care less about that and am of the opinion that you can like/hate whatever you wish. Heck, I hate the Scimitar class - but I've never told anyone who likes it that they shouldn't.
    > > >
    > > > MY personal issue is these comments made by so-called fans who think they have the ability and authority to declare what is and isn't Star Trek
    > >
    > > And then told anyone who likes Discovery that they shouldn’t :steamsalty:
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > That's not what I said at all.
    >
    > That’s what I’m saying, I’ve been told I shouldn’t like discovery because “breaks canon”

If that is what people have been saying then they obviously missed the 1000 times every show did it.

TNG through to ENT cannon has been 're written soooooooo many times.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • richyrich1991richyrich1991 Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    Sweet! :D

I loved the show (for the most part), hopefully I'll be able to to use my AoY toon for most of these missions though as I've already turned him into a DSC themed toon.

And to all of the drama lama's saying it's not trek or it will kill the game ect. if you suddenly can't enjoy the hundreds (maybe more) of hours of content that you currently enjoy because the devs have added some stuff for the players that like the show then you are the problem, if you don't want to play the missions, skip em it's as simple as that :)

Besides, it's a CBS licenced game, did you really think that content from the only currently running CBS licenced Trek show wouldn't make an appearance?
    "As of this moment, we are all dead. We go into battle to reclaim our lives.
    This we do gladly, for we are Jem'Hadar. Victory is Life!"
    njflWNG.jpg
  • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    > @starswordc said:
    > avoozuul wrote: »
    >
    > Paying for merchandise is not the same thing as paying to watch a show, and furthermore the shows used to not be free to watch. ;)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > They were never free to watch. You paid for it by putting your eyeballs on the advertising that came with it.
    >
    > "If you aren't paying money, you are the product."

That was why TOS was cancelled by CBS back in the day......the audience it attracted was too resistant to the ads.
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »

rYviJWg6LDpgLcbxx9fYEC.jpg
    This... is ALSO a good modernization of the 60s uniforms. AGAIN, a product of better technology.

Star Wars can kinda get away with it because lets face it... Star Wars tech advancement is stagnant. A blaster in the Jedi Civil War is just as effective as a blaster in the Galactic Civil War. Its also not OUR galaxy.

If TRIBBLE started more like that last picture with Pike they would have avoided a lot of the complaints against them. Instead they opted to go the route that basically turned everything on it's head that close to the TOS time line and make it look like it was something in the Kelvin time line.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • philchapphilchap Member Posts: 269 Arc User
    so does mean all the content and stuff now is worth;less
    philchap wrote: »

Why would it mean that? :|
    njflWNG.jpg
    > @richyrich1991 said:
    > philchap wrote: »
    >
    > so does mean all the content and stuff now is worth;less
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Why would it mean that? :|

He thinks the rest of the game will be permanently stuck in 2256
  • ivana5ivana5 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    Much like other additions (more AoY than that one Kelvin mission) it’ll be mostly contained within itself, at least up to the point of its release, afterwards we’re likely to see more distinct DIS episodes/missions come along as the show itself does, but still with other episodes/missions being produced.
  • thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    It has been said before but is worth repeating; it is very sad that the hallmark of a 'True Star Trek fan' seems to now be their ability and authority to declare others to not be Star Trek fans based on the kind of Star Trek material they enjoy.
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png
    > @t0la said:
    > I'm glad that there are a plethora of people who hate this as much as I do. I haven't even seen TRIBBLE because I refuse to fund CBS all access when every other country gets it on Netflix, which of course, I already have subscribed to for years. From what I understand, I'm not missing much. I've wanted CBS since the inception of this game (before Cryptic even got it) to invest in this game, as I thought it would be a great tie in. Cryptic has met my expectations with getting cast members back to portray their characters and even touched on loose plot threads and other aspects of the original series (plural). But this just offends me. If they are indeed undoing the last 7-8 years of storytelling in order to promote - in essence - CBS all access and that visual abomination that is TRIBBLE (#NotMyKlingons), then, I too, may be leaving. Maybe time to invest in Star Trek VR?

What the hell are you on about? How is Cryptic undoing the past seven years of in game content and player progression/experience.
    FFS they are adding some new content from the current iteration of Trek, nobody is wiping the slate clean.

You might dislike Discovery for your own personal reasons which is perfectly acceptable, but don’t start talking utter nonsense about the past content being thrown away.
    SulMatuul.png
  • thetaninethetanine Member Posts: 1,367 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Flaming/trolling removed.

ConcreteVagueCobra-size_restricted.gif

Knock it off. — StarSword-C
    Post edited by starswordc on
    STAR TREK
    lD8xc9e.png

Yep, this is so what it means, S I G H

When has this ever happened in this game, new content = MORE not LESS

Do not fret about it, you will have all the old content along with the awesome new DSC stuff to play.
    JtaDmwW.png
    thetanine wrote: »
    It has been said before but is worth repeating; it is very sad that the hallmark of a 'True Star Trek fan' seems to now be their ability and authority to declare others to not be Star Trek fans based on the kind of Star Trek material they enjoy.

I hear you, Trekkies are an odd bunch.

They can either be the most wonderful people you'll ever meet, or the most hateful :(

The whole "you're only a fan if you like the exact same things as me" mentality is a sad thing to see.
    njflWNG.jpg
  • crypticarmsmancrypticarmsman Member Posts: 4,102 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »

Look back through this thread, or on ANY discussion pertaining to DSC on FB.

"It's NOT Star Trek"
    "It's NOT canon"
    "It's Kelvin Timeline"
    "It's NOT Prime timeline"

All quotes.
    ^^^
    Which EVERY new series (including the start of ST:TNG in 1987 had to deal with. It's first Season was considered atrocious back in the day, and the second season didn't fair much better. It wasn't until the third season and TNG: "Yesterday's Enterprise" that 'original' Star Trek fans started to give it another look/chance.)

And at the start (hell at it's announcement) many older Trek fans and even new fans for the day brought in by TNG felt:

- ST: DS9 is 'too dark'...

- ST: DS9 is BETRAYING GR's wonderful 'vision' - how dare you?...

So yeah, as a LONGTIME Star Trek fan (saw TOS first ruin on NBC) - it's amusing to watch the cycle begin again because <gasp> a new Star Trek incarnation is airing; and being deridedn by a lot of ST: DS9 fans as 'too grindark' too.

Star Trek fandom - arguing with itself over new incarnations and their ultimate 'validity' since 1973 (For you youngsters - that's when the Star Trek Animated series began airing on Saturday mornings.) before that we'd just tear apart the three seasons of TOS with many disliking it's Third season (many referred to it as 'the TRIBBLE season'); they considered a lot of that 'non-canon'.

Of course by the time TAS and then ST:TMP hit, suddenly nothing in TOS was that bad - and only every thing after it was an abomination.

From time of the ST:TMP premiere such abominations were:

- TWO Turbolifts on the 1701 Bridge? WTF?
    - Oh look they have new pajama uniforms (ugh!)
    - Wow, it's "Beige Trek' (what a bland color pallete)
    - Why thethe refit 1701 have nacelles that look like they were ripped from a TOS Klingon D-7 Battlecruiser??!!
    - Why the hell do the Klingons now look like my dog??!!

and the classic:

"IT AIN'T MY STAR TREK!!11!!!"

Yep - Same old tried and true Star Trek fandom. Carry on.
    Formerly known as Armsman from June 2008 to June 20, 2012
    TOS_Connie_Sig_final9550Pop.jpg
    PWE ARC Drone says: "Your STO forum community as you have known it is ended...Display names are irrelevant...Any further sense of community is irrelevant...Resistance is futile...You will be assimilated..."
  • moggiecanadamoggiecanada Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    robeasom wrote: »
    WTF are you doing Cryptic. You really want to drive away a good half to 3 quarters of your player base, I'm sorry but when this is released I will be gone, I really wanted to get behind discovery I was so excited when I found out it was on UK Netflix. I even tried to keep a open mind even when I found the resemblance between the Kelvin universe. Then you had the whole spore drive rubbish and bad writing and when you fall asleep 3 times on the same episode at the same place you realise a show is not for you. And then there is the mirror universe story straight away in season 1, I could go on about it but truth to say is this show splits the player base and you will lose a lot of players when this discovery season is released. keep the **** in a lockbox then the people whio want that **** can get it and the ones that don't, can ignore it existance

You don't have to quit. You can continue to play the existing content. Age Of Discovery will not suddenly turn all the Klingons into melted Orcs and your boffs won't suddenly become disobedient and attack you like Mikey Spock did.

• lostmindfinditlostmindfindit Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    ah here we go again, TRIBBLE fans proving their point, by calling everyone else raging fandom....

pretty sure at this point everyone who does not like TRIBBLE accepts that it exists, and nothing can be done about it, except keeping it separate from older statrek, and yes, there were cannon changes between old shows, but most of them if not all were done in certain boundries, and at least to some degree logicaly explained (ridgeless foreheads on tos klingons for example), i personaly dont mind TRIBBLE story in general, what i do mind is DETAILS, the fact that makers of the show REDESIGNED EVERYTHING, and said, now thats startrek, deal with it, there would be no issue with it if they placed it in jjverse or other universe, if they put it in diffrent time, BUT NO they put it just before TOS and changed everytihng, at least Enterprise show tried to create logical continuity in tech level , where TRIBBLE thrown everything that was before or after it chronoligaly out the window.

TRIBBLE is an attempt at reboot and those that are fans of old startrek, dont see it as ok.
    the more we accept it as it is, the more they will feel free to change it. its what disney did with starwars all over again, and as subtle.
    ah here we go again, TRIBBLE fans proving their point, by calling everyone else raging fandom....

pretty sure at this point everyone who does not like TRIBBLE accepts that it exists, and nothing can be done about it, except keeping it separate from older statrek, and yes, there were cannon changes between old shows, but most of them if not all were done in certain boundries, and at least to some degree logicaly explained (ridgeless foreheads on tos klingons for example), i personaly dont mind TRIBBLE story in general, what i do mind is DETAILS, the fact that makers of the show REDESIGNED EVERYTHING, and said, now thats startrek, deal with it, there would be no issue with it if they placed it in jjverse or other universe, if they put it in diffrent time, BUT NO they put it just before TOS and changed everytihng, at least Enterprise show tried to create logical continuity in tech level , where TRIBBLE thrown everything that was before or after it chronoligaly out the window.

TRIBBLE is an attempt at reboot and those that are fans of old startrek, dont see it as ok.
    the more we accept it as it is, the more they will feel free to change it. its what disney did with starwars all over again, and as subtle.

Erm THIS fan of over 35 yrs thinks its ok, for things to stay relevant they have to GROW and change, in no way would it be ok for a 2018 show to look like 1960's or even 1990's.

JtaDmwW.png