test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO: Age of Discovery - Excited YEAH/NAY

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    talonxv wrote: »
    Hey I never said what he did was correct or lawful. What I said was he had a better product.
    Except that he didn't have a product, unless you count his coffee and T-shirts. What he had was an extended commercial, and somehow he managed to win your loyalty with that.

Which if you ask me is freaking sad.

Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    I thought the lawsuit allowed them to only release two 20 minute features instead of the full thing, how is it their fault that they couldn't deliver the whole thing after this lawsuit happened?
  • jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    The new trek which is Kelvin timeline but before it was cool just does not grab me.

Gamewise it seems we have painted ourselves into a corner storywise so spin offs till someone reboots the whole damm thing again.
  • kwaikangkwaikang Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    nope. not interested in JJ anything, and TRIBBLE other than being star trek's VD, is completely flavored by JJtrek, it has no respect for canon. I'll avoid it completely.. It's an awful show. My family and all of my frieds have stopped watching since the first train wreck of an episode.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    SJWs took over that production destroying everything in an attempt to make a political statement.

It's an ugly representation of what happens, when politics defines creativity. It's restricted then to ugly statements about modern times... They thought that by making it part of today's political climate...

I don't know if you realize it or not, but Star Trek has been about making statements about contemporary politics since its inception. TOS and TNG were especially riddled with social and political commentary; DS9, VOY, and ENT had more than a few episodes to that effect as well. DSC did nothing out of the ordinary in trying to make political statements about the modern political climate. You can certainly argue it did it poorly - I wouldn't entirely disagree, either - but you can't say DSC was wrong for doing what Trek has always done.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    Overall, a "Yeah!". Of course, they can still TRIBBLE it up in various ways, but that's the truth for every idea they could have about future content.

I still want to see more stuff happening in our timeline, though.
    starswordc wrote: »
    How many of you are excited for what's coming in the Discovery content coming up? Please explain if you care either way.

I'm cautiously optimistic, the same as I was for DSC itself. But I'm dreading moderating the flame wars.

I can understand that. Maybe the moderation team wil have to think about stricter policies on this?

Maybe the whole "True Scotsman" Fallacy Stuff or even the "Is Series X canon" stuff should be considered inflammatory by default anywhere outside 10 Forward. It's not really contributing to discussions about STO. (It's not really useful on 10 Forward either, but that's okay. 10 Forward is not focused on STO and not the place you go to discuss explicitely only STO specific topics. If it's still entertaining people to discuss these things, fine.)

But then, I am not a moderator. I think the mods managed to keep the peace relatively well (though overall it really feels like the overall spirit of the community on reddit.com/r/sto is just more enjoyable often) so far, and we survived the Kelvin Timeline Lockbox and Mission as well.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Gimpel-4.png
    *Comes looking for a juicy meal...*
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    tousseau wrote: »
    Gimpel-4.png
    *Comes looking for a juicy meal...*

Brilliant. Absolutely brilliant.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I don't like DSC excepr for some of the designs. I still cheer for it in STO just to boink those that whine about SJW content. DSC has big problems, but if you complain about that you got bigger ones xD
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • ibukeeibukee Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    some months ago there were a second f2p MMO who had the same kind of economic model (mostly fanservice shop )
    the devs suddenly decided they wouldnt listen to their whales and did a thing everybody hate
    now this game disappeared ( marvel heroes ) , in 2018 devs aren't allmighty gods anymore , people are vocal and it can be fast to boycott a MMO
    take 2seconds to think , who are the whales ? the teenagers fans of DSC or the true fans who support this game since beta because it's the only way to see prime universe stories
  • anyajenkinsanyajenkins Member Posts: 56 Arc User
    When i see what they made with Star Wars, the best things that can happen to the Star trek franchise is to be bought by Disney...

Imagine that, Disney buy star trek and get rid of all the morrons that actualy run the franchise and put Michael & Denise Okuda as consultants and guardians of the canon, Rick Berman, Ira Bher and Brannon Bragga as producer/directors, to setup a new show post Nemesis....
    coffee the finest organic suspension ever devised - Janeway
  • ktyrrellktyrrell Member Posts: 261 Arc User
    This most likely end with time travel shenanigans again :/
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Wasn’t expecting new stuff so soon but sounds great.

Discovery is a cools show I gladly see added to game.

T6 rep sounds good as well. Of course one has to wait and see how much XP the bars will take to T6 but the thought of finally putting my thousands over thousand marks to good use is appealing.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • ironmakoironmako Member Posts: 770 Arc User
    I'm not sure why people are saying "any new content is great" because that is just not so.

If it was, then why not put some Galaxy Quest content in, or some Ulysess 31 content? Why do we have to stop at Sci Fi, why not put some My Little Pony Content in, maybe add some MASK content?

**** it, Spongebob Squarepants has got some popularity, so why not add him in as a Boff?

TRIBBLE (Very appropriate acronym) fits into the Star Trek universe like a square peg into a round hole and adding this botty-water is just the typical 'murican' thing to do. Take something thats gimmicky and staple all the bells and whistles you can to it.

Cryptic could easily create a new game, based on the TRIBBLE universe, and I dare say that it would be a success, but don't just try to shoehorn this bum gravy into Roddenberry's universe cos it just doesn't fit.

• oldkhemaraaoldkhemaraa Member Posts: 1,039 Arc User
    Uhg, simply UHG! I blame CBS. I'm having this nightmare of logging in and finding I have to redo all my Klingon characters because of the great CBS retcon because the discovery Klingons are the new "official" Klingons..I didn't like the JJ Trek Klingons, and I definitely don't like the TRIBBLE Klingons. They're ugly, their ships are ugly. Maybe TRIBBLE season II might improve what they've done, but yea, feels like a cash grab.

"I aim to misbehave" - Malcolm Reynolds
  • furiontassadarfuriontassadar Member Posts: 475 Arc User
    There's a line from Overwatch that Torbjorn occasionally says upon loading into the Omnic Monastery, that keeps repeating in my head....

"NononononoNO. N.O. NOOOO."

Another good one is: "This is like the culmination of a thousand of my worst nightmares!"

Though in my case, I apparently wasn't worried enough about the possibility of Discovery content to have actual nightmares about it. I though we'd get a Featured Episode at most (like the JJ Trek episode from AoY) and, of course, the occasional lockbox promotion, but a whole friggin' expansion??

Ugh, wake me up when this Discovery nonsense fades and we go back to actually continuing the plot of STO.
    "There will never be enough blood to wash away my need for vengeance! A single world...I could destroy a million worlds and it would not be enough! Your existence is an insult to the memory of my people! I will continue my fight, even if I must fight alone!"
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Looking forward to it myself.

I honestly can’t fathom how anyone could think that they wouldn’t do this. Okay – so you hate DSC? Fine – but do you hate STO?
    For the first time in the game’s history it is running alongside a current, active, Trek series. Of course they’re going to add content relevant to the active series – it makes excellent business sense! No longer are they reliant entirely on nostalgia; his probably THE best opportunity they’ve ever had to attract new players to the game.

My only concern is that the emphasis on DSC almost definitely means that my dream of a quality pass for the Nova/Rhode Island will remain just that - a dream.

Considering STO's time frame is post-Voyager, yes it is a bad idea to try and add content from a show whose time frame is between STE and ST:TOS. It will get old very quickly and likely drive more players away, so no, it is not good business sense in the least unless STO is going to be totally overhauled to be a pre-TOS post STE game.
    They already added content from both TOS and Enterprise. What's the difference?
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    > @jonsills said:
    > talonxv wrote: »
    >
    > Hey I never said what he did was correct or lawful. What I said was he had a better product.
    >
    >
    >
    > Except that he didn't have a product, unless you count his coffee and T-shirts. What he had was an extended commercial, and somehow he managed to win your loyalty with that.
    >
    > Which if you ask me is freaking sad.

Nope. Because in 23 minutes Axanar managed to tell a better story tha. TRIBBLE did in 12 episodes. If CBS had any brains, they would of been mature and said

"Ok bad for not getting our OK" and slapped him on the wrist, then licenced Axanar and produced it. Instead CBS came out so heavy handed that they killed off fan productions like Axanar or the fan show that filled in the last year and a half of the 5 year mission before Kirk got promoted and the Enterprise got her refit.

Cause guess what, Axanar looked more believable. The ships and outfits looks correct unlike TRIBBLE.

I mean how can people defend Burnham? Seriously. A human raised as a Vulcan goes right to the conclusion to MUTINY to shoot first with zero provocation? Yeah killed the show for me right there. That and the Klingons. So badly done. I could of written that better and I'm not even a professional writer.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    warpangel wrote: »
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Looking forward to it myself.

I honestly can’t fathom how anyone could think that they wouldn’t do this. Okay – so you hate DSC? Fine – but do you hate STO?
    For the first time in the game’s history it is running alongside a current, active, Trek series. Of course they’re going to add content relevant to the active series – it makes excellent business sense! No longer are they reliant entirely on nostalgia; his probably THE best opportunity they’ve ever had to attract new players to the game.

My only concern is that the emphasis on DSC almost definitely means that my dream of a quality pass for the Nova/Rhode Island will remain just that - a dream.

Considering STO's time frame is post-Voyager, yes it is a bad idea to try and add content from a show whose time frame is between STE and ST:TOS. It will get old very quickly and likely drive more players away, so no, it is not good business sense in the least unless STO is going to be totally overhauled to be a pre-TOS post STE game.
    They already added content from both TOS and Enterprise. What's the difference?

The difference is that content is trivial, and is also not controversial in the least. You do not have to play AoY or have a 23rd Century character. Nor do you have to play any 23rd Century missions outside of the few time travel ones. Since that has been done already, it would be redundant to do again just for TRIBBLE and would not be a wise move on the part of Cryptic.

Why?

The closed mind set some Star Trek fans seem to have about adding new and entirely voluntary to use content do a game is really frightening.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    > @kabutotokugawa said:
    > warpangel wrote: »
    >
    > kabutotokugawa wrote: »
    >
    > reyan01 wrote: »
    >
    > Looking forward to it myself.
    >
    > I honestly can’t fathom how anyone could think that they wouldn’t do this. Okay – so you hate DSC? Fine – but do you hate STO?
    > For the first time in the game’s history it is running alongside a current, active, Trek series. Of course they’re going to add content relevant to the active series – it makes excellent business sense! No longer are they reliant entirely on nostalgia; his probably THE best opportunity they’ve ever had to attract new players to the game.
    >
    > My only concern is that the emphasis on DSC almost definitely means that my dream of a quality pass for the Nova/Rhode Island will remain just that - a dream.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Considering STO's time frame is post-Voyager, yes it is a bad idea to try and add content from a show whose time frame is between STE and ST:TOS. It will get old very quickly and likely drive more players away, so no, it is not good business sense in the least unless STO is going to be totally overhauled to be a pre-TOS post STE game.
    >
    >
    >
    > They already added content from both TOS and Enterprise. What's the difference?
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > The difference is that content is trivial, and is also not controversial in the least. You do not have to play AoY or have a 23rd Century character. Nor do you have to play any 23rd Century missions outside of the few time travel ones. Since that has been done already, it would be redundant to do again just for TRIBBLE and would not be a wise move on the part of Cryptic.

Do you have to play the DSC content?
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    > @talonxv said:
    > > @jonsills said:
    > > talonxv wrote: »
    > >
    > > Hey I never said what he did was correct or lawful. What I said was he had a better product.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Except that he didn't have a product, unless you count his coffee and T-shirts. What he had was an extended commercial, and somehow he managed to win your loyalty with that.
    > >
    > > Which if you ask me is freaking sad.
    >
    > Nope. Because in 23 minutes Axanar managed to tell a better story tha. TRIBBLE did in 12 episodes. If CBS had any brains, they would of been mature and said
    >
    > "Ok bad for not getting our OK" and slapped him on the wrist, then licenced Axanar and produced it. Instead CBS came out so heavy handed that they killed off fan productions like Axanar or the fan show that filled in the last year and a half of the 5 year mission before Kirk got promoted and the Enterprise got her refit.
    >
    > Cause guess what, Axanar looked more believable. The ships and outfits looks correct unlike TRIBBLE.
    >
    > I mean how can people defend Burnham? Seriously. A human raised as a Vulcan goes right to the conclusion to MUTINY to shoot first with zero provocation? Yeah killed the show for me right there. That and the Klingons. So badly done. I could of written that better and I'm not even a professional writer.

Why license something they ALREADY own.

That makes no sense, also I do not get people's fascination with 23 mins of nothing.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    > @jam3s1701 said:
    > > @talonxv said:
    > > > @jonsills said:
    > > > talonxv wrote: »
    > > >
    > > > Hey I never said what he did was correct or lawful. What I said was he had a better product.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Except that he didn't have a product, unless you count his coffee and T-shirts. What he had was an extended commercial, and somehow he managed to win your loyalty with that.
    > > >
    > > > Which if you ask me is freaking sad.
    > >
    > > Nope. Because in 23 minutes Axanar managed to tell a better story tha. TRIBBLE did in 12 episodes. If CBS had any brains, they would of been mature and said
    > >
    > > "Ok bad for not getting our OK" and slapped him on the wrist, then licenced Axanar and produced it. Instead CBS came out so heavy handed that they killed off fan productions like Axanar or the fan show that filled in the last year and a half of the 5 year mission before Kirk got promoted and the Enterprise got her refit.
    > >
    > > Cause guess what, Axanar looked more believable. The ships and outfits looks correct unlike TRIBBLE.
    > >
    > > I mean how can people defend Burnham? Seriously. A human raised as a Vulcan goes right to the conclusion to MUTINY to shoot first with zero provocation? Yeah killed the show for me right there. That and the Klingons. So badly done. I could of written that better and I'm not even a professional writer.
    >
    >
    >
    > Why license something they ALREADY own.
    >
    > That makes no sense, also I do not get people's fascination with 23 mins of nothing.

Why? Cause it looked like an awesome concept of a story I wanted to see developed. And license was the wrong word. Maybe hire would of been better?
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • spcsiscospcsisco Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    None for me thanks!!! STO is getting to confusing and convoluted. TRIBBLE sucked anyway.
  • ikonn#1068 ikonn Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    Hmm...

* AoY(ish) Fed Faction (unique tutorial for TRIBBLE characters). All other missions playable by our other characters.
    * Talk of another Recruiting Event for this.
    * Adding a 6th Tier to each Reputation.
    * Of course, sometime during AoD's "rollout" we will have an additional Reputation.
    * Renaming of STFs to Task Force Operations. (Purely somantics)
    * Spreading out the "AoD" content and delivering it over the course of 2 or more seasons.
    * Oh, and more ships!
    -AoP- Warrior's Blood (KDF Armada) / -AoP- Qu' raD qulbo'Degh / -AoP- Project Phoenix
  • captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    nimbull wrote: »
    Not really a Discovery fan because...

[*] Sounds like another Fed only mini faction. Where's the love for KDF?

I genuinely agree with this part, because while I enjoy chances to create new STO characters as part of events, the fact that Cryptic NEVER seems to consider allowing the Klingon (or Romulan) factions to be a part of it is really frustrating.

• alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    No! I hate Discovery, as I hated Kelvin.

Unbelievable they could twist such an amazing franchise into something so different.

The only part I actually enjoyed in it were the Terrans, which is funny since in the -Real- Star Trek IP I hated every mirror universe incursion.

If it helps STO, which it should, then good. There's plenty of weird alien ships and ugly ships, and ugly characters, that having Disco stuff won't matter to me and I can just overlook it.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
This discussion has been closed.