test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online: Age of Discovery

Comments

• jam3s1701jam3s1701 Member Posts: 1,825 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Let's play DISCOVERY BINGO.....

37843719_10156218664865358_4336684841627025408_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=2702628b57a643c338e30e235866588e&oe=5BD73DDD
    JtaDmwW.png
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    I use the t'laru because its the only carrier available to the romulans not because its linked into what jarjar picked up from skimming a wiki the night before he had to start and complete a script.

On the bright side if VIL's 6 episodes constitute an expansion with a single extra one tacked on to slap an all too abrupt ending on it then the disco season will have 2 at most then it'll be back to finding ways for sela to be annoying because denise crosby needs a paycheck.
  • moggiecanadamoggiecanada Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    My own opinion is perhaps the effort should be towards fixing the bugs in the existing content up to ViL instead of adding content not everyone will want.

You do realize that statement includes each and every piece of content added to the game? Not everyone is a fan of TOS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT, or the movies; as well as any number of characters, factions, and other elements from those properties (which find their way into the game.) For example: time travel, the Mirror Universe, and the Dominion (in my particular case.) With a sufficiently large population (ie. a video game community) anyone can be found at any time to object to a piece of content being made on principle.

In most cases though we're responsible enough to take personal preference in due context. This being Discovery is no excuse.

Not everyone is a fan of bugs either. That's why people want them fixed. There are a number of them and having been in I.T. for 20 years, I found the user community of a company wants glitches fixed in existing applications rather than see new applications being developed.

The fact my statement covers a great deal of ground does not negate the fact bugs need to be fixed...no matter how many or how few.
    edited July 2018
    Beee dooo, Beee dooo, PULL over it is the . . .

37795942_10156218611140358_6828620567503962112_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=e85afe912d433707002a8851f80fda7b&oe=5C0C6D20

The first expansion I won't be playing. TRIBBLE is a poorly written abomination that's trying to retcon 50 years of history from existence and it's infection of STO is tragic. I suppose I'll have to take a hiatus from the game when it comes out and return when something good is added.

JtaDmwW.png
    It's not that I am against STO doing a Discovery time line here on the game, if some people want to enjoy it fine no problem. I have said this before many times, I will never buy into CBS access or Star Trek Discovery, CBS disgraced itself putting a "Pseudo" law suit against Axanar productions, stalling a "Documentary" and it's release, thus CBS can inundate a dumb struck audience for more JJ style Trek. Had this not happened I may have given Discovery a chance. Your f#&k up CBS.

Axanar, is that still a thing, last I heard the man spent $1.7mil on NOTHING and even the $750k he spent on the "studio" went up in smoke as he now live ins Atlanta, and has not money to make anything...

JtaDmwW.png
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    This is not an Expansion.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
    edited July 2018
    > @apocalypse2001 said:
    > ambassadorkael#6946 wrote: »
    >
    > It's time for the Age of Discovery! This fall, Star Trek Online takes our first steps into the world of Star Trek: Discovery. Adventure with Mary Wiseman in a brand new continuing story!
    >
    > https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10962253-star-trek-online:-age-of-discovery
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > there is no "Discovery era". It's an alternate universe which has nothing to do with with 50 years of Star Trek canon. So basically you're going to obliterate all of the content you've created before (like JJ dumb dumb was hired to do) just to accommodate this garbage TRIBBLE series. Whatever. Then you wonder why people are pissed off with all of you.

It's canon, it's prime get over it.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    jam3s1701 wrote: »

37843719_10156218664865358_4336684841627025408_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=2702628b57a643c338e30e235866588e&oe=5BD73DDD

This is pure genius, I love it!
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    > @starswordc said:
    > jam3s1701 wrote: »
    >
    > Let's play DISCOVERY BINGO.....
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > This is pure genius, I love it!

Hehehehehe thanks....

I have so many more, running a star trek Facebook group has it's perks ;)
    JtaDmwW.png
  • moggiecanadamoggiecanada Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    It's time for the Age of Discovery! This fall, Star Trek Online takes our first steps into the world of Star Trek: Discovery. Adventure with Mary Wiseman in a brand new continuing story!

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10962253-star-trek-online:-age-of-discovery

there is no "Discovery era". It's an alternate universe which has nothing to do with with 50 years of Star Trek canon. So basically you're going to obliterate all of the content you've created before (like JJ dumb dumb was hired to do) just to accommodate this garbage TRIBBLE series. Whatever. Then you wonder why people are pissed off with all of you.

You won't have to worry about any obliteration of existing content. Players like myself who do not like ST:D will continue playing the existing content without having to worry that perhaps the Klingons will start looking like Klingorcs or that Federation officers will begin to act all hissy and mean during an away mission.
  • manlyyamsmanlyyams Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    I don't like ST:D. I understand some people do. Some people like the writing. I don't. I kind of like the ship designs, out of place as they may seem (even ENT managed to make the NX-01 still look older, in a way). I don't like the Klingons, some do. Can I combat the fact that this is now Star Trek canon? No. I cannot. So I will play your expansion, Cryptic. I realize that you must do some things to appease your CBS overlords. I cannot fault yo u for that.

But know that I will be very, VERY disappointed if the ST: DISC has more episodes than Victory is Life. Because unlike ST: DISC, the majority of your playerbase had been waiting literal years to play as the Dominion.

And yes, ST: DISC, or DISC. Stop arguing about discos and communicable diseases already :P
    edited July 2018
    > @apocalypse2001 said:
    >
    > > @apocalypse2001 said:
    > > ambassadorkael#6946 wrote: »
    > >
    > > It's time for the Age of Discovery! This fall, Star Trek Online takes our first steps into the world of Star Trek: Discovery. Adventure with Mary Wiseman in a brand new continuing story!
    > >
    > > https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10962253-star-trek-online:-age-of-discovery
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > there is no "Discovery era". It's an alternate universe which has nothing to do with with 50 years of Star Trek canon. So basically you're going to obliterate all of the content you've created before (like JJ dumb dumb was hired to do) just to accommodate this garbage TRIBBLE series. Whatever. Then you wonder why people are pissed off with all of you.
    >
    >
    >
    > ............
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > It's canon, it's prime get over it.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > No it's not. It's an alternate universe. If it's not than nothing before it exists anymore. Congratulations, you played yourself. besides Abrams said in a conference that it isn't a "reboot". But who cares about facts, right?

And yet, CBS you know the ones who OWN STAR TREK say it is canon and prime timeline.

They are the ones who decide what is and is not canon, not some angry fan boy.

Good game thou ;)
    JtaDmwW.png
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Looks like I will be taking that needed break from STO after all.
  • radonneradonne Member Posts: 32 Arc User
    Ugh.

Discovery is a show I neither like nor respect. Basing content on that feels like a complete waste of time and money. That's made doubly so since the events of that show take place nearly 200 years before the game and are so irrelevant they've never even been mentioned before. Yay.

Also, I had been enjoying the ViL arc right up until the final mission rolled out. That one was a mess, with a potentially interesting setup summarily turned into a brain-dead slog through waves of enemies, then tied up with a painfully pat ending. So not only do I have very little faith in the writing for the DSC content, I can also blame it for cutting short a much better arc.

As far as mechanics go, I don't like what (little, admittedly) I'm hearing. The Gamma Recruit setup was extremely short and uninteresting. The thought of starting a new Discovery Recruit when I'm still trying to finish up the tedious grind on my Jem'Hadar is quite demotivating.

Similarly, I'm really sick of grinding out reputations. Bringing all 12+ of them up to a new level 6 feels like more pointless busywork.

So, all in all, I see nothing good about this announcement and quite a bit to fear. Not what I was hoping for.

-R
    edited July 2018
    > @apocalypse2001 said:
    > starswordc wrote: »
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > and the fact that they blatantly plagiarizing 'The Orville' to save it because it's so ****, makes no never mind to you, right? And aside from that, the fact that you have to pay per episode to watch it shows in itself that the show was **** even before it was "aired".

Yes yes yes, the Orville is so great said only the angry fan boys
    JtaDmwW.png
    > @apocalypse2001 said:
    >
    > > jam3s1701 wrote: »
    > >
    > > > @apocalypse2001 said:
    > > > ambassadorkael#6946 wrote: »
    > > >
    > > > It's time for the Age of Discovery! This fall, Star Trek Online takes our first steps into the world of Star Trek: Discovery. Adventure with Mary Wiseman in a brand new continuing story!
    > > >
    > > > https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10962253-star-trek-online:-age-of-discovery
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > there is no "Discovery era". It's an alternate universe which has nothing to do with with 50 years of Star Trek canon. So basically you're going to obliterate all of the content you've created before (like JJ dumb dumb was hired to do) just to accommodate this garbage TRIBBLE series. Whatever. Then you wonder why people are pissed off with all of you.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > ............
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > It's canon, it's prime get over it.
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > No it's not. It's an alternate universe. If it's not than nothing before it exists anymore. Congratulations, you played yourself. besides Abrams said in a conference that it isn't a "reboot". But who cares about facts, right?
    >
    > ..........
    >
    > And yet, CBS you know the ones who OWN STAR TREK say it is canon and prime timeline.
    >
    > They are the ones who decide what is and is not canon, not some angry fan boy.
    >
    > Good game thou ;)
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Right and who cares about the last 50 years right? it is an alternate universe whether you like it or not. Spock went through a black whole and came out of a white hole. Scientifically, by definition, he and those future Romulans arrived into an ALTERNATE DIMENSION - another universe! But thanks for playing.

Ermmmmmmm

That is the Kelvin Timeline.

And for the record...

https://treksphere.com/star-trek-discovery/discoverys-timeline-universe-we-asked-the-writers/
    JtaDmwW.png
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    starswordc wrote: »
    jam3s1701 wrote: »

This is pure genius, I love it!

and the fact that they blatantly plagiarizing 'The Orville' to save it because it's so ****, makes no never mind to you, right? And aside from that, the fact that you have to pay per episode to watch it shows in itself that the show was **** even before it was "aired".

You're absolutely right, The Orville is absolutely more Star Trek than DSC. Because only "classic" [1] Star Trek [2] would attempt to make an episode about the main characters getting dateraped as a comedy.

That is a worse move than anything that DSC did over its entire first season, including Culbergate. At least when DSC brought up nonconsensual sex, it was meant as something to be horrified by.

If anything it's The Orville that plagiarized Star Trek.
    2b2427.jpg
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • collin3366collin3366 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Ugh..., why cadet Tilly? She's like nails down a chalkboard for me. L :D L :D L :D L The rest may be interesting!
    Vice Admiral Collin Michael McNeil
    U.S.S. Alliance
    NCC-93405-C
    Odyssey Class
    No Horizons To Distant
    > @apocalypse2001 said:
    >
    > >
    > > > jam3s1701 wrote: »
    > > >
    > > > > @apocalypse2001 said:
    > > > > ambassadorkael#6946 wrote: »
    > > > >
    > > > > It's time for the Age of Discovery! This fall, Star Trek Online takes our first steps into the world of Star Trek: Discovery. Adventure with Mary Wiseman in a brand new continuing story!
    > > > >
    > > > > https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10962253-star-trek-online:-age-of-discovery
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > there is no "Discovery era". It's an alternate universe which has nothing to do with with 50 years of Star Trek canon. So basically you're going to obliterate all of the content you've created before (like JJ dumb dumb was hired to do) just to accommodate this garbage TRIBBLE series. Whatever. Then you wonder why people are pissed off with all of you.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > ............
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > It's canon, it's prime get over it.
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > No it's not. It's an alternate universe. If it's not than nothing before it exists anymore. Congratulations, you played yourself. besides Abrams said in a conference that it isn't a "reboot". But who cares about facts, right?
    > >
    > > ..........
    > >
    > > And yet, CBS you know the ones who OWN STAR TREK say it is canon and prime timeline.
    > >
    > > They are the ones who decide what is and is not canon, not some angry fan boy.
    > >
    > > Good game thou ;)
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > Right and who cares about the last 50 years right? it is an alternate universe whether you like it or not. Spock went through a black whole and came out of a white hole. Scientifically, by definition, he and those future Romulans arrived into an ALTERNATE DIMENSION - another universe! But thanks for playing.
    >
    > Ermmmmmmm
    >
    >
    > That is the Kelvin Timeline.
    >
    > And for the record...
    >
    > https://treksphere.com/star-trek-discovery/discoverys-timeline-universe-we-asked-the-writers/
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. And the blatantly obvious cognitive dissonance in that article makes no never mind to you, huh? lol

Ugh, so you think you have the right to dictate what is canon because > @starswordc said:
    > apocalypse2001 wrote: »
    >
    > starswordc wrote: »
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > and the fact that they blatantly plagiarizing 'The Orville' to save it because it's so $h!++y, makes no never mind to you, right? And aside from that, the fact that you have to pay per episode to watch it shows in itself that the show was $h!++y even before it was "aired".
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > You're absolutely right, The Orville is absolutely more Star Trek than DSC. Because only "classic" [1] Star Trek [2] would attempt to make an episode about the main characters getting dateraped as a comedy.
    >
    > That is a worse move than anything that DSC did over its entire first season, including Culbergate. At least when DSC brought up nonconsensual sex, it was meant as something to be horrified by.
    >
    > If anything it's The Orville that plagiarized Star Trek.

The Boreville is awful.
    JtaDmwW.png
  • michaelsdstmichaelsdst Member Posts: 104 Arc User
    avoozuul wrote: »
    Looks like I will be taking that needed break from STO after all.

+1. Not fan of the TRIBBLE storyline and graphical representaion of tech/creatures. Especially, if I have to create yet another character....
    GIVE US THE TYPHOON! Enough said...
    > @apocalypse2001 said:
    >
    > >
    > > > jam3s1701 wrote: »
    > > >
    > > > > @apocalypse2001 said:
    > > > > jam3s1701 wrote: »
    > > > >
    > > > > > @apocalypse2001 said:
    > > > > > ambassadorkael#6946 wrote: »
    > > > > >
    > > > > > It's time for the Age of Discovery! This fall, Star Trek Online takes our first steps into the world of Star Trek: Discovery. Adventure with Mary Wiseman in a brand new continuing story!
    > > > > >
    > > > > > https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10962253-star-trek-online:-age-of-discovery
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > >
    > > > > > there is no "Discovery era". It's an alternate universe which has nothing to do with with 50 years of Star Trek canon. So basically you're going to obliterate all of the content you've created before (like JJ dumb dumb was hired to do) just to accommodate this garbage TRIBBLE series. Whatever. Then you wonder why people are pissed off with all of you.
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > ............
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > It's canon, it's prime get over it.
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > No it's not. It's an alternate universe. If it's not than nothing before it exists anymore. Congratulations, you played yourself. besides Abrams said in a conference that it isn't a "reboot". But who cares about facts, right?
    > > >
    > > > ..........
    > > >
    > > > And yet, CBS you know the ones who OWN STAR TREK say it is canon and prime timeline.
    > > >
    > > > They are the ones who decide what is and is not canon, not some angry fan boy.
    > > >
    > > > Good game thou ;)
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > Right and who cares about the last 50 years right? it is an alternate universe whether you like it or not. Spock went through a black whole and came out of a white hole. Scientifically, by definition, he and those future Romulans arrived into an ALTERNATE DIMENSION - another universe! But thanks for playing.
    > >
    > > Ermmmmmmm
    > >
    > >
    > > That is the Kelvin Timeline.
    > >
    > > And for the record...
    > >
    > > https://treksphere.com/star-trek-discovery/discoverys-timeline-universe-we-asked-the-writers/
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight. And the blatantly obvious cognitive dissonance in that article makes no never mind to you, huh? lol
    >
    > Ugh, so you think you have the right to dictate what is canon because > @starswordc said:
    > > apocalypse2001 wrote: »
    > >
    > > starswordc wrote: »
    > >
    > >
    > > Let's play DISCOVERY BINGO.....
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > This is pure genius, I love it!
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > and the fact that they blatantly plagiarizing 'The Orville' to save it because it's so $h!++y, makes no never mind to you, right? And aside from that, the fact that you have to pay per episode to watch it shows in itself that the show was $h!++y even before it was "aired".
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > >
    > > You're absolutely right, The Orville is absolutely more Star Trek than DSC. Because only "classic" [1] Star Trek [2] would attempt to make an episode about the main characters getting dateraped as a comedy.
    > >
    > > That is a worse move than anything that DSC did over its entire first season, including Culbergate. At least when DSC brought up nonconsensual sex, it was meant as something to be horrified by.
    > >
    > > If anything it's The Orville that plagiarized Star Trek.
    >
    >
    >
    > The Boreville is awful.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > lol even though the TRIBBLE trailer proves otherwise. You do realize that s2 of TRIBBLE comes AFTER The Orville aired, right? Facts don't care about your feelings. The 2pieces of dialogue used in the TRIBBLE s2 trailer are directly plagarized from The Orville TRIBBLE s2 HASN'T EVEN AIRED!!! WAKETF UP.

Bahahahahahahahahahaha

Oh you are funny.

If I wanted to watch TNG I would watch TNG not some half arsed parody with lame humour and rubbish stories rehashed from the 90s
    JtaDmwW.png
  • buckstanzabuckstanza Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    i'm looking forward to shooting as many of the disco Klingons as I can...till they TRIBBLE up and start becoming the tos Klingons. Also any chance I can airlock micheal?