test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO: Age of Discovery - Excited YEAH/NAY

How many of you are excited for what's coming in the Discovery content coming up? Please explain if you care either way.

STO: Age of Discovery - Excited YEAH/NAY 388 votes

Yeah!
34% 133 votes
Nope
38% 151 votes
Maybe. Wait and see.
19% 76 votes
Don't care
5% 23 votes
Other. Explain.
1% 5 votes

Comments

• rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    New stuff is always fun.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    Free stuff...can you say HECK yes!​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    ZzMN6tU.png
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    nope. not interested in JJ anything, and TRIBBLE other than being star trek's VD, is completely flavored by JJtrek, it has no respect for canon. I'll avoid it completely.. think I'll start a Sith on SWTOR
    Spock.jpg

• captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 895 Arc User
    Yes, but if there's a recruitment event for it (which seems likely), I think it'll follow on too soon from the Victory is Life one.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    yay for some of it ...

TRIBBLE no for the tier 6 rep grind.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    Yay, why not. Any new content is good provided it gives us something new to look forward to and is not too grindy.
    Plus anything Disco flavoured is good in my books, keep STO relevant to the current version of Trek and bring in some new blood.
    I've no doubt the art team will do a sterling job with the visuals and ship designs etc, as they always do.
    SulMatuul.png
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Not really a Discovery fan because...
    • To much like the Kelvin time line.
    • CBS put it behind a pay wall and I never really watched it to gain any appreciation of it. Not paying extra for it either.
    • Sounds like another Fed only mini faction. Where's the love for KDF?

Also are they going to retrofit the previous reputations with T6 as well?
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • xandos2xandos2 Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    I absolutely hated the first two episodes of Discovery and really hoped that none of that would make it into this game. I guess I'll just have to see what they do to bring it into this game.
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    > @vetteguy904 said:
    > nope. not interested in JJ anything, and TRIBBLE other than being star trek's VD, is completely flavored by JJtrek, it has no respect for canon. I'll avoid it completely.. think I'll start a Sith on SWTOR

Good riddance, less complaining
  • lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    nope. not interested in JJ anything, and TRIBBLE other than being star trek's VD, is completely flavored by JJtrek, it has no respect for canon. I'll avoid it completely.. think I'll start a Sith on SWTOR

Can i haz your stuff?
    SulMatuul.png
  • tobywitczaktobywitczak Member Posts: 208 Arc User
    Can we please get some Quality of Life Improvements? Right now I am spending 90% of my not playing the STO, just trying to fill out Rep, Duty Off, Admiralty. Daily. Its been so bad that I have not even attempted the Domion Arc for my original toons.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Not a chance in hell. TRIBBLE is a terrible idea. And what about IDK fleshing out the Gamma Quadrant some? Finding New Khitomer? Hello?

TRIBBLE. Utter trash. Convoluted, zero respect for ANY kind of continuity, made the Klingons look like garbage, ships look absolutely NOTHING that has ever in ANY way shape or form before or after while trying to claim prime universe.

I could keep going on both the Klingons and Federation, but to put it bluntly, this is just a BAD idea.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Heck yeah!

Discovery is awesome, can't wait for this. All of it sounds great except for the T6 rep thing, the game already has too many reputations, and going to T6 is not a change I am happy about.

Other then that, sounds great, bring it on! Hope at least a few of the complainers leave in a huff.. they won't be missed.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • jtoney3448jtoney3448 Member Posts: 642 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    We seriously do not need T6 rep and more power. We didnt need mk15 gear or a level increase. Cryptic really needs to move past the make a new character -> joins one of 2 factions thing. How many diff versions of a fed/kdf tutorial do we need? Its the same tired idea over and over, Romulans, AoY, Jem, now discovery...

There needs to be something besides make ANOTHER new character. Most of us are getting up there in characters at this point and regrinding DoFF/Rep/etc every time is very old at this point. Especially when we JUST had JH released. Im all for new gear/missions even the discovery stuff that i didnt watch cause other people who liked it deserve their content.

But we have the Fed faction, we already have Discovery uniforms and ships, do we really need a recruitment +mini faction of Discovery ontop of that? Seems like a waste of time and resources that could be spent on making more missions for the next season.

Not to mention we have tons of story lines ingame at current that just end with 0 real closure. What happened to the Voth and the Dyson Sphere? Are the borg still attacking them? What about 8472? The Iconians left but obviously Teket is still around wrecking anything she comes across. How bout the Borg, we cleaned their clock repeatedly arent they due to adapt? What happened with all the rest of the Delta quadrant?

There is whole systems in the game that need over hauled and expanded on, like the Doff system. There should have been tons added to that and its been dead in the water forever. Ground combat could use another good going over to make melee combat work better, and make the game have more depth then just spam kit powers and pray you kill them first before you get vaped. Changing it to be like the show and use cover would be a big help.

How bout a visual update for the older ships in the game. We still have no T6 Ambassador, should always be a top tier version of any Enterprise name bearing ship.
  • sheldonlcoopersheldonlcooper Member Posts: 4,042 Arc User
    I'm ambivalent about the T6 rep. Have tons of marks but no real interest in clicking for all the characters.

Would not have made a jem had I known this was coming. That said yeah I'll make another new character - just wish it was 6 months later down the road.
    Captain Jean-Luc Picard: "We think we've come so far. Torture of heretics, burning of witches, it's all ancient history. Then - before you can blink an eye - suddenly it threatens to start all over again."

"With the first link, the chain is forged. The first speech censured, the first thought forbidden, the first freedom denied, chains us all irrevocably."

• shinku#4469 shinku Member Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Will there be g*y characters?
    lucky_star_trek_by_primantis-d389ufa.jpg
    QoL stuff is not dependant on a total stop to making things for the rest of the game. That would be the equivelent of stopping ALL progress on content to focus on bug fixing for an entire season. Its not financially viable for a company as small as Cryptic. Blizzard might be able to get away with it, but they don't add content as quickly as we get it here.

Content pays the bills honestly.

Also... no one said we were abandoning the Gamma Quadrant in favor of Discovery content. We're gonna get more stuff. We have a whole new quadrant to explore and have stories in. We're pretty much guaranteed future Gamma Quad content. We've got several named characters and ships working in Gamma post Home. We'll see them again.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    Will check it out and see how it goes.
    XzRTofz.gif
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    How many of you are excited for what's coming in the Discovery content coming up? Please explain if you care either way.

I'm cautiously optimistic, the same as I was for DSC itself. But I'm dreading moderating the flame wars.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    @starswordc
    I feel sorry for you, darkblade, and baddmoon having to deal with that shtakostorm. And I feel sorry for ambassadorkael as well since he's gonna get hit with that as well.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    rattler2 wrote: »
    @starswordc
    And I feel sorry for ambassadorkael as well since he's gonna get hit with that as well.

The Ten Forward mods are ready to assist.
    2INmvDX.png
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • karistasogare#3038 karistasogare Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    nimbull wrote: »

[
    ] CBS put it behind a pay wall and I never really watched it to gain any appreciation of it. Not paying extra for it either.
    ] Sounds like another Fed only mini faction. Where's the love for KDF?

Well, living in Canada would make watching it even tougher, if I were interested, which I am not.
    Kelvin timelne issues aside, the style of 'new' trek writing disaponts me, and this show definitely embraces such.

what worrys me (assuminjg I am even still playing when this arrives) is that this wil prompt cryptic to 'alter' the Klingopnms top match the new content. and I am sorry but the 'Discovery Klingons' justj aren't.

now of course there is a GOOD reason for that, licencing (the 'Imperial Klingon image isn't owned by CBS) but still surely there must have been other options than THIS!
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    I'm surprised it didn't happen during season 1 but I'm expecting CBS & Cryptic to offer some sort of exclusive for something STO in-game for those that subscribe to CBS's subscription service.
  • karistasogare#3038 karistasogare Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    nimbull wrote: »

[
    ] CBS put it behind a pay wall and I never really watched it to gain any appreciation of it. Not paying extra for it either.
    ] Sounds like another Fed only mini faction. Where's the love for KDF?

Well, living in Canada would make watching it even tougher, if I were interested, which I am not.
    Kelvin timeline issues aside, the style of 'new' trek writing disappoints me, and this show definitely embraces such.

what worries me (assuming I am even still playing when this arrives) is that this will prompt cryptic to 'alter' the Klingons to match the new content. and I am sorry but the 'Discovery Klingons' just aren't.

now of course there is a GOOD reason for that, licencing (the 'Imperial Klingon image isn't owned by CBS) but still surely there must have been other options than THIS!
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    ZzMN6tU.png

This is cute :)
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    I haven't seen any of it because paywall to watch it and I'm not interested in shelling my money out to watch it.

But I'm a wait and see type of person, as that's also how I answered. I'll wait and see how it goes.

I just hope the forums don't get burned down by all the Disco hate.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    I'm cautiously optimistic, the same as I was for DSC itself. But I'm dreading moderating the flame wars.

As I am dreading reading it. Can you move it all into their own part of the forum like you did with Victory is Life so I can select NOT FOLLOW? That would be delish.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    echatty wrote: »
    I just hope the forums don't get burned down by all the Disco hate.

Well... we survived the Enterprise hate, the Kelvin hate, and the Delta Rising Apocalypse.
This discussion has been closed.