test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Star Trek Online: Age of Discovery

Comments

• Options
    thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    All I will say right now is that I will continue to cover new content, this update included, on my youtube channel. Anything new, I'll play and make videos of it for those who want to see it.
  • Options
    neoakiraiineoakiraii Member Posts: 7,468 Arc User
    Finally real real Star Trek at last
    GwaoHAD.png
  • Options
    thomaselkinsthomaselkins Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    The first expansion I won't be playing. TRIBBLE is a poorly written abomination that's trying to retcon 50 years of history from existence and it's infection of STO is tragic. I suppose I'll have to take a hiatus from the game when it comes out and return when something good is added.
  • Options
    starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    cristonic2 wrote: »

I am sorry, it doesn't fit in the least little way into the frame work of Star trek. Gene had a rules for the show and this one breaks them all.

Citations?

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2017/06/new-star-trek-series-will-abandon-gene-roddenberrys-cardinal-rule/

Ahem.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGcAbI-4_io
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • Options
    favugabrielfavugabriel Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    Until discovery appeared, I considered myself a trekkie.
    I will no be part of this.
  • Options
    theraven2378theraven2378 Member Posts: 5,986 Arc User
    Please have the interiors so the Walker and Crossfields feel more complete, unlockable MU Discovery uniforms too for all characters.
    NMXb2ph.png
      "The meaning of victory is not to merely defeat your enemy but to destroy him, to completely eradicate him from living memory, to leave no remnant of his endeavours, to crush utterly his achievement and remove from all record his every trace of existence. From that defeat no enemy can ever recover. That is the meaning of victory."
      -Lord Commander Solar Macharius
    • Options
      jonsills wrote: »
      There are no Rom options because during that era, there was no contact between the Federation and the Romulan Star Empire per the terms of the treaty ending the Earth-Romulus war in 2160. The next contact wouldn't be until 2266, in TOS:"Balance of Terror" (also the first time Fed forces got to see what Romulans looked like).

Yeah, it was also supposedly fought with nuclear weapons and non-FTL ships. And are we supposed to believe that for that entire war, nobody ever tried hailing an enemy ship to demand its surrender? No one ever got sucked out into space during a hull breach? There were no boarding actions? No salvage and study of enemy hulks and debris to gain intelligence on the enemy?

That plot point got deservedly retconned away by ENT, which is one of the few things the series did correctly until Manny Coto took over.
      "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
      vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
      lets just call it jjtrekonline the search for more money

isn't there anyone at Cryptic capable of designing new stuff to sell?
      Spock.jpg

• Options
      wintermutevreswintermutevres Member Posts: 100 Arc User
      You know i actually checked if it was April 1st today. Oh well, i guess more content is always good for the game. At very least we'll get some new toys to play with..soo yay?
    • Options
      dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
      edited July 2018
      iamynaught wrote: »
      Enterprise established the Klingons as looking like TNG era Klingons but then came up with an idea that allowed for the look of the TOS era Klingons. It was ham-fisted but it works. Now ST:D goes and breaks that and creates an entirely new look that doesn't look good, to me.

All things considered, I thought it was an imaginiative way to explain why TOS Klingons looked different than TMP ones. I'm not sure there was any perfect way to explain the differences in-universe.

And I agree, TRIBBLE Klingons are atrocious. If they didn't say they were Klingons, no one would have guessed it. I again point to the horrible Wing Commander movie's Kilrathi. The ones in the game were lets say 'campy', but they had style! The poor movie version was just your basic generic 'alien bad guy'. These Klingons are the same.
      I am a big discovery fan.

I'm glad to see this coming.

But why not wait a little while - spring maybe? We just made new characters. Now we make another a couple months later?
      Cryptic can't wait... CBS says do it when the next season of TRIBBLE launches and they are the boss.
      Discovery IS CANON and it's Prime Timeline, whether you like it or not. CBS owns the IP, not you!

Yes, Mr. Lawyer. That is true in the legal sense.
      But other than style/visual differences, can you make TRIBBLE fit into established Prime w/o a hundred 'yeah but...' exceptions?
      The answer to that is No.
      If I could buy Apple Computers and make them install Windows 10 instead of iOS, would you still say its an Apple Computer cause the logo was the same?
    • Options
      tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
      hippiejon wrote: »
      People seem to forget ...
      Infinite Diversity in Infinite Combinations
      Best thing about this game is people can choose to play in whatever part of the Sandbox of Star Trek they enjoy most.

latest?cb=20050306030400&path-prefix=en

yeah sure... thats why the Vulcans forced the others off world to go into space to found Romulus.
    • Options
      awlaforgeawlaforge Member Posts: 235 Arc User
      Cryptic is practically bathing in Discovery kool aid so this was expected. This may be the only way I experience "Star Trek" Discovery though.

Declaring something "canon" as all involved with the travesty called Discovery have while ignoring pre-existing lore does not make it canon. The JJ verse is more canon than discovery. Oh -IMO, for the discovery fan club.
    • Options
      trekgate0trekgate0 Member Posts: 14 Arc User
      Btw, are we getting Sylvia Tilly or Syliva Tilly? Was there a transporter accident?
    • Options
      helmerhelmer Member Posts: 21 Arc User
      I have to say, this is the first time in all my time gaming that I am not looking forward to an expansion. Not really interested in stopping the space orcs from lighting the eye of Sauron with the help of Spock's long lost sister and an LSD engine.
    • Options
      starcruiser#3423 starcruiser Member Posts: 1,200 Arc User
      Does this mean a Discovery recruit event? Sure smells like it normal-1.gif

Certainly or would be waste opportunity.​​
    • Options
      rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
      starswordc wrote: »
      Yeah, it was also supposedly fought with nuclear weapons and non-FTL ships. And are we supposed to believe that for that entire war, nobody ever tried hailing an enemy ship to demand its surrender? No one ever got sucked out into space during a hull breach? There were no boarding actions? No salvage and study of enemy hulks and debris to gain intelligence on the enemy?

That plot point got deservedly retconned away by ENT, which is one of the few things the series did correctly until Manny Coto took over.

We ALMOST got the Earth-Romulan War too... but the show was canceled before they could get into it in Season 5.

Also... There IS a way to explain the Nuclear Weapons. In Star Trek Legacy during the Enterprise Era, Archer's taskforce (The player) had to counter a massive fleet of Romulan ships on course for Earth in one mission. Starfleet didn't have the ships to meet them head on, but did note that the course of this fleet would lead them through a system with some old Vulcan mining stations that were fusion powered. Enterprise would lure in the Romulans close to the mining stations, and detonate the cores. It wasn't the actual detonation that caused havoc with the Romulans... it was the EMP from said detonations. Starfleet ships were EM shielded. Romulan ships... weren't. Four Starfleet ships, lead by Enterprise, were able to disable a LARGE portion of the Romulan fleet just by setting off the equivelent of large scale nukes in proximity to said Romulan fleet.
      db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
      I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
      The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    • Options
      They can cut them financially. But they haven't. Star Trek Discovery is incredibly popular, despite what the vocal minority would try to tell you otherwise. CBS took a gamble with Discovery and it paid off. Now they're working on pitching several other Star Trek shows in addition to producing Discovery.

It isn't going anywhere.​​

Argument could also be made that TRIBBLE isn't doing as well as hoped, because they are making alternates?
      And if TRIBBLE was wasn't the main reason for CBS All Access, it might have been cancelled after Season 1?

From nscreenmedia:

"CBS does not release viewing figures for Star Trek: Discovery, so it is difficult to know exactly how many people are watching. However, we can estimate a maximum audience for the show from the subscriber numbers we do know.

A good proportion of the most recent signups to All Access likely came with the intention of watching at least some of the episodes of the show. Let us assume half of the new sign-ups, or 250,000, fall into that category. A popular show like Big Bang Theory is getting ratings of around 2.8 in the 18-49 age range for a total audience of 3.6 million. Assuming Discovery does at least this well with All Access customers signed up before it launched, we would see an additional 50,000 for a total of 300,000 subscribers watching."

So depends on what you mean by 'successful'... 300k viewers?
    • Options
      gothkid1972gothkid1972 Member Posts: 112 Arc User
      edited July 2018
      Flaming/trolling and vulgar comments removed.

ConcreteVagueCobra-size_restricted.gif

Knock it off. — StarSword-C
    • Options
      mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
      iamynaught wrote: »
      Enterprise established the Klingons as looking like TNG era Klingons but then came up with an idea that allowed for the look of the TOS era Klingons. It was ham-fisted but it works. Now ST:D goes and breaks that and creates an entirely new look that doesn't look good, to me.

All things considered, I thought it was an imaginiative way to explain why TOS Klingons looked different than TMP ones. I'm not sure there was any perfect way to explain the differences in-universe.

And I agree, TRIBBLE Klingons are atrocious. If they didn't say they were Klingons, no one would have guessed it. I again point to the horrible Wing Commander movie's Kilrathi. The ones in the game were lets say 'campy', but they had style! The poor movie version was just your basic generic 'alien bad guy'. These Klingons are the same.
      I am a big discovery fan.

I'm glad to see this coming.

But why not wait a little while - spring maybe? We just made new characters. Now we make another a couple months later?
      Cryptic can't wait... CBS says do it when the next season of TRIBBLE launches and they are the boss.
      Discovery IS CANON and it's Prime Timeline, whether you like it or not. CBS owns the IP, not you!

Yes, Mr. Lawyer. That is true in the legal sense.
      But other than style/visual differences, can you make TRIBBLE fit into established Prime w/o a hundred 'yeah but...' exceptions?
      If I could buy Apple Computers and make them install Windows 10 instead of iOS, would you still say its an Apple Computer cause the logo was the same?

If Apple came out and said that they will replace Mac OS with Windows 10 in all future releases of the iMac, I would still call it an iMac and an Apple Computer. Maybe I'd even still call it Mac OS, after all, there are significant differences between the original Mac OS 1 or whatever and Mac OS X (now only Mac OS).

But I am sure some Apple fans wouldn't, but well, no one is going to take way their old Mac OS X iMacs... Though they'll look pretty outdated eventually.
      Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
    • Options
      edited July 2018
      And...

"CBS was looking to Star Trek: Discovery to deliver a surge in subscribers to the All Access subscription service.

It doesn’t look like the show delivered and CBS is in danger of missing its subscriber goal for 2020.

Releasing Star Trek: Discovery through All Access deprived it of much of its audience. The show is the least watched Star Trek in the franchise’s history."

So, ENT got more and it was on the channel UPN that wasn't available everywhere in the country!
    • Options
      mattics01mattics01 Member Posts: 9 Arc User
      If Discovery was set in the future, I would be so excited for this content and the actual TV series. This series does not make any sense between ENG - TOS.
    • Options
      mattics01 wrote: »
      If Discovery was set in the future, I would be so excited for this content and the actual TV series. This series does not make any sense between ENG - TOS.

I blame Star Wars for the surge prequel-madness we now suffer through.
    • Options
      captyoung01captyoung01 Member Posts: 311 Arc User
      It's not that I am against STO doing a Discovery time line here on the game, if some people want to enjoy it fine no problem. I have said this before many times, I will never buy into CBS access or Star Trek Discovery, CBS disgraced itself putting a "Pseudo" law suit against Axanar productions, stalling a "Documentary" and it's release, thus CBS can inundate a dumb struck audience for more JJ style Trek. Had this not happened I may have given Discovery a chance. Your f#&k up CBS.

With that being said, I am still in the process of get two new toons up to par, a new Delta and a Jem'hadar. I don't have the time for another new character; I would have to get rid of one. We're given new toons to build up and then an event is thrown at us with hardly anyone actually playing in quene events, how am I suppose to build up another character? I don't have that much time on my hands.

Funny how this new season is being featured in the fall and Cryptic has already released it's Discovery Box. . lol, A money making venture alright.
    • Options
      vangtavangta Member Posts: 9 Arc User
      I look forward to it. It puts STO in 'Lockstep' w/CBS (to quote STO's new producer) and means that as new content unfolds on cbs, so too will it expand in the game.. I haven't watched any of TRIBBLE, but i probably will now.
    • Options
      duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
      edited July 2018

Which is, of course, asking a modern TV show to ape the aesthetics of its decades old predecessor without considering how replicating an aesthetic outside of its original cultural context might play outside that context, and simply to hammer narrative continuity according to the barest possible interpretation of what visuals in fictional media represent (ie. the world literally as the characters see it, not the world of the characters as translated to fit the scope of a production and cultural point of view of the creators and audience.)

Ie. that Star Trek is real, not media entertainment. The aesthetics at any point are a translation for both the benefit of the production team and audience, hence why every series looks like its host decade's own interpretation of what life in the future will be like. DSC is part of its time, hence stylistic changes that are both conscious and unconscious retranslations of "Star Trek of this era" (see. impact of 3D printing on prop design.) Nominally some design cues will carry over (which is all that's necessary to establish narrative continuity, ie. visual language through identifiable symbology), but the effect will always be unmistakable.
      Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
      Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
      Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    • Options
      trekgate0 wrote: »
      Discovery. TRIBBLE? Really? Here I thought the greater community of fandom and Trek had settled in DIS or Disco...

Yeah, its called Star Trek: Discovery... TRIBBLE; blame the advertising department.
      Actually I find calling it Disco even more derogatory than TRIBBLE. :D

If you want to argue that "Star Trek: Enterprise" should be STE instead of ENT, I'll entertain that argument more than one for 'Disco'. ;)
    • Options
      captainkoltarcaptainkoltar Member Posts: 895 Arc User
      I look forward to it - and to more delightful nerd rage from a bunch of alleged Star Trek fans.
    • Options
      edited July 2018
      trekgate0 wrote: »
      Discovery. TRIBBLE? Really? Here I thought the greater community of fandom and Trek had settled in DIS or Disco...

Yeah, its called Star Trek: Discovery... TRIBBLE; blame the advertising department.
      Actually I find calling it Disco even more derogatory than TRIBBLE. :D

If you want to argue that "Star Trek: Enterprise" should be STE instead of ENT, I'll entertain that argument more than one for 'Disco'. ;)

Well, "Disco" at least turned up in-universe.
      99912.jpg

Officially, though, the abbreviation is DSC (and not DIS *glares at Memory Alpha admins*).
      — Sabaton, "Great War"
      VZ9ASdg.png

• Options
      rexedrexed Member Posts: 6 Arc User
      "For the very first time in STO’s history, we’ll be updating the game in line with a currently airing Star Trek series."

Will you be sneaking unlock codes into TRIBBLE screens in order to somehow convince people to watch it?