• Options
    cristonic2cristonic2 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    (Vulgar comments moderated out. - BMR)
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    Oi vey...

Not gonna read through 5 pages of people attacking each other over what is Star Trek and what isn't. If you don't like it, then stick with your normal characters. Don't try and dictate what others want because its not what YOU want. Fact of the matter is we have a Trek MMO that is live at the same time as a Trek series. It was going to happen.

ON TOPIC... I'm looking forward to it. Might get all kinds of new gear and outfits/customization options, some new ships... maybe even touch up the current Discovery uniforms to have more vibrant metallic parts for the departmental colors.
    And it looks like we're gonna get a Crossfield interior too! My TOS temporal recruit's Crossfield is going to be complete! Well... I'm using Pulse Phasers rather than Discovery Phasers, but still... I can use the actual interior rather than the TOS Connie!
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    roninfelroninfel Member Posts: 105 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    ibukee wrote: »
    NO , this is NOT Star Trek !
    Are you trying to drive half the playerbase off?! Because that's how you drive half the playerbase off.

Really? Some of us are actually quite excited about this and you certainly don't speak of behalf of "half of the playerbase".

And it IS Star Trek.

Some of you are quite excited and some of us are somewhere south of disappointed at having the horribleness that is Discovery added into the game more than it already is. #NotMyStarTrek
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    cristonic2 wrote: »

I am sorry, it doesn't fit in the least little way into the frame work of Star trek. Gene had a rules for the show and this one breaks them all.

Citations?
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    captainwellscaptainwells Member Posts: 718 Arc User
    Lots of folks here didn't hold back their lack of excitement over this, but as much as I've been put off by the gonzo goings on within the peculiar Discovery television series, I will be open to giving this content a try based upon its own merits. I will mention that I was forced to bail out of their first season on CBS All Access at the halfway point, given how large a break with established continuity that mess of a show proved to be. However, the various stories told throughout Star Trek Online have been a lot of fun for me. That earns Cryptic some coin, if nothing else!

I do hope that this is simply another experience to be incorporated overall into STO and then other content will go back to advancing the 2409/2410 era? But for now creating a Discovery timeline character is fine with me.

• Options
    szimszim Member Posts: 2,503 Arc User
    new reputations that expand the game’s Reputation System to Tier 6

Oh for the love of the great Ogbunabali, why??? I don't think this was on anybody's wishlist.
  • Options
    cristonic2cristonic2 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    1.) No no no! We said we wanted more exploration in the game, not discovery.

2.) Ya got an error in your blog "Discovery era" should be "Discovery timeline".

3.) I guess this is why ViL is such a tiny Season?

4.) Season 1 of Star Trek: Discovery is now available on CBS All Access (paywall)
    Back in my day... TV shows were free and you paid for games! :|

5.) I play 2 MMOS and have a hard time finding sufficient time for both, but if STO goes full on TRIBBLE stupid, it might make finding time easier. If you catch my meaning. :'(

They seldom read the feedback from playerws, they are going the way of Blizzard there. They likely are so young that don't ever remember the next gweneration, much less TOS. So forget exploration all together.
    Now, I have five MMOs I play now, three major ones, but as I learn more about this CBS sell out, it'll likely become two major ones as well. There could be no other explination for them coming out with this "expainsion".
    Now, I have been here from day one of launch, but now, unlike a few years back, this is more an APP game than a real MMORPG. You can normally spend maybe 15 to 20 minutes a day at most on here and get all the rewards and missions done once you level cap. I therefor seem to have plenty of time for the other MMORPGs in my life because of this. It's downfall started when they took out the old and very real STFs and gave us junk in return. It has slowly fallen downhill from that day.
  • Options
    questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,318 Arc User
    Are you trying to drive half the playerbase off?! Because that's how you drive half the playerbase off.

Really? Some of us are actually quite excited about this and you certainly don't speak of behalf of "half of the playerbase".

And it IS Star Trek.

Technically it is star trek, but it feels more like Disney.

Anyway, not really hyped about Discovery content but perhaps it will be a pleasant surprise.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • Options
    pwemademedothispwemademedothis Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Inevitable, but most unwelcome.

Been in game since beta, a subscriber since launch, and a purchaser of pretty much everything [three Connies], as this game (and until last year "Star Trek Continues") were all I could look forward to for un-rebooted Trek.

I imagine I’m not alone in feeling actual revulsion when it comes to the current show. If I can avoid this TRIBBLE and carry on as usual I will, and I hope those that enjoy the new series enjoy the upcoming content.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    thay8472 wrote: »
    What exactly did the TRIBBLE Blingons do that was honourable? Suicide bombings? Attacking civilian outposts? Threatening to destroy their own homeworld because they weren't united in a war they were winning?

Thinking about it, the Klingon lady who threatened to blow up Qu'noS is likely the reason why Klingon women weren't allowed to lead Klingon houses later on.

"In war, nothing is more honorable than victory."

They were winning until T'Rell threatened to destroy Qu'nos with a suitcase bomb ... so ... not very honourable.
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    cristonic2 wrote: »
    They seldom read the feedback from playerws, they are going the way of Blizzard there. They likely are so young that don't ever remember the next gweneration, much less TOS. So forget exploration all together.
    Neither TOS nor TNG were about exploration though.

Both shows were about looking at the human condition, "exploration" was just a plot device for them to meet alien races, so the writers could them make caricatures out of a specific human issue, and then have the crew fight them, and come out on top, so we could see how to beat the problem.

"Captain's log, we conducted a geologic survey. Everything went to plan and the work was not interrupted. We're proceeding to Starbase 34 for routine maintenance. End log."
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    Wow ... the Doom !
    How many times in the past has STO been DOOMED by whatever is coming next ?
    I've lost count.
    Game is doing fine.
    Disco has the highest ratings for any 1st Season Star Trek ever (despite Doomy claims to the contrary)
    More Trek properties being developed does not indicate a lack of faith in the currently airing property. Rather the opposite is true. Disco is doing well enough for consideration of other projects.

But please.
    Continue your Doom songs. Continue telling me that I am not a true Trek Fan because I actually enjoy Discovery.
    Seriously, I wonder if people realize both how arrogant and self important they sound when they pass judgement over what a "true Trekkie" is.

Sing with me now Zim : DOOM ! Doomy Doom Doom ....
  • Options
    thay8472 wrote: »
    They were winning until T'Rell threatened to destroy Qu'nos with a suitcase bomb ... so ... not very honourable.

From a certain point of view.

L'Rell is a member of a House that is known for sneakyness. Basically a canon version of House Pegh, where a whisper is just as powerful a weapon as a shout. And as a follower of Kahless... she felt that the Empire as a whole was ripping itself apart in its lust for blood and conquest. They were not Klingon anymore. They were just bloodthirsty warmongers who were likely to turn on each other after the Federation was defeated because of a lack of fresh meat to carve up. What she did, in her eyes, was save them from themselves. Perhaps the first step to unifying the Empire into the force we see in TOS on.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    Working with an official currently on-air (as much on air as it can be for those who have to pay for it, that is) is nice, for sure. CBS is working on about four other shows for Star Trek, including the one that was mentioned during the lead up to Discovery going live, about Khan. And maybe one with Picard/Patrick Stewart returning in some compacity.

If the later is true (and not just as a narrator of his past exploits), I'd love to see that added to STO. Esp. considering that'd be closer to STO's timeframe.

I may be in minority, but I hope that Cryptic would make an expansion to the AoY expansion dealing with the Klingon and Romulan side of events, being guided by the Envoy (as opposed to Daniels) at least until the big reveal.....

But that's never going to happen.

It just seems more can be done for those who's pro-Klingon besides some costume unlocks.
  • Options
    jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    iconians wrote: »

I agree. Comparing the noble and honorable klingons to those types of people is extremely rude and disrespectful.​​

The target audience for CBS's writing decision speaks.

The Federation, traditionally, has always been about how liberals would run things if they had the power to shape events to their liking. In TOS, that was a pragmatic Cold War "Hawkish" attitude regarding foreign affairs with a socially liberal domestic policy....ironically, something considered hopelessly Reactionary by today's "Progressives". TNG was basically smug progressive types convinced their farts smelled like roses going around telling others how to live so they could be "perfect" like them. DS9 was more or less about how far they'd go to keep power, which turned out to be pretty far as Sisko barreled past what people today consider War Crimes (sterilizing a human colony world to force them to turn over their leader and weapons, amongst many other things) only to find that the Bridge too far was Section 31's near-successful attempt to genocide the Founders with a biological weapon. In TRIBBLE, even that barrier was broken when Starfleet Command hired the Mirror Empress (a monster who made both Hitler and Stalin look like Choir boys) to sterilize Q'Onos....again....which only failed because Burham chose that moment to begin acting like a Starfleet officer for the first time in the entire series. The way she chose to resolve the situation was naive, to say the least...whatsername's path to uniting the Empire behind her would have been far smoother, and more Klingon, by revealing the plot to the High Council and demanding that they join her Holy Crusade to do unto Earth what it tried to do to them, but that was to be expected as the Federation needed to survive so there could be a Season 2.

So comments like yours show that CBS knows full well what it's target audience...people like you....want, which is to have people whose views trigger you driven out into the wilderness. But the question is, are people like you capable of keeping STO going by yourselves? I suspect not. If we're just getting some unlocks, content we don't have to go back to, and new C-Store and lockbox ships, it won't be much of an issue though I don't look forward to having to grind my reps to level 6 on my already maxed out toons. But if TRIBBLE begins to infect the existing story line, I think there will be another Delta Rising style exodus from the game, and that might be enough to kill it this time.

So here is hoping Cryptic hold the line at accepting TRIBBLE's stuff (some of which is actually pretty nifty) while rejecting it's toxic ideals. Like us or not, you need us as much as we need you to keep the lights on in STO.

• Options
    hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    @crashdragon

Okay, seems I am doing the opposite of telling others what they must like, but please carry on with the personal attack when you have no actual rebuttal to anything I said.
    Truth : Many times in the past, the Playerbase (forumites, myself included) have screamed how the latest thing portended DOOM for the game.
    Truth : The Game just released one of it's most successful expansions and the team has enough cash flow this year for 12 Voice Actors in Victory is Life and at least One for upcoming Discovery content. I.E. Game is doing fine.
    Truth : Discovery is the highest rated first season of Trek ever and has won awards for what they are doing.
    Truth : The success of Discovery has led to Executives developing future Trek properties. The show is doing just fine.
    Truth : It is both Arrogant and Self Important to say that someone is not a True Fan just because they don't like the thing the same way you do.

None of the points I made are arguable (unless you are a jerk), so you decide to make a personal attack.
    You are the winner, as I refuse to actually attack you, but rather I attack the assertation that you have the right to judge what someone else finds joy in from Science Fiction Storytelling. I simply don't believe you have that right.
    Says nothing about you personally. Just that you do not have the right to tell me (1) How to enjoy Star Trek and (2) To say what is "real" Star Trek.

Have a nice day.
    I will continue to be excited and happy about upcoming Discovery content.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    So... free Science Spearhead ship for everyone? :)

I've been opening dozens of lock boxes, but I haven't been lucky enough :( The thing needs to be added to the Infinity box.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    fleetcaptain5#1134 fleetcaptain5 Member Posts: 4,789 Arc User
    Oh and I hope there will be Kelpian playable species as part of the expansion. There really should be such an option.
    [4:46] [Combat {self}] Your Haymaker deals 23337 (9049) Physical Damage(Critical) to Spawnmother

[3/25 10:41][Combat (Self)]Your Haymaker deals 26187 (10692) Physical Damage(Critical) to Orinoco.
  • Options
    I may be in minority, but I hope that Cryptic would make an expansion to the AoY expansion dealing with the Klingon and Romulan side of events, being guided by the Envoy (as opposed to Daniels) at least until the big reveal.....

But that's never going to happen.

It just seems more can be done for those who's pro-Klingon besides some costume unlocks.

I don't see the Envoy helping out honestly.

But I wonder if we're gonna get some new playable Klingon ships. Obviously the Sarco is gonna remain lockbox, but the BoP and cruiser designs might become playable. Same with a lot of the Fed ship designs too.
  • Options
    evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User
    Will Discovery characters be a variant of the AoY characters, or their own unique entity?
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • Options
    marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    PLAYABLE KELPIENS!
  • Options
    tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »

And it IS Star Trek.

Technically it is star trek, but it feels more like Disney.

Anyway, not really hyped about Discovery content but perhaps it will be a pleasant surprise.

LOL... Discovery feels like Disney?

You want Disney? Look no further than LoR... What was done to the Romulans, was no less forgivable...
    "Epohhs! Get your epohhs here. Would you like an Epohh friend?"

*shudders at the idea of how Teletubby DNA was integrated into the Romulan populace...*
  • Options
    necriemoonnecriemoon Member Posts: 52 Arc User
    Ok, I understand since you have a working arrangement with CBS, that you need to promote Discovery. Still, I'm sorry to see that you're promoting t to this degree.
    Discovery is a very divisive show. You either like it or you hate it. There doesn't seem to be a lot of middle ground when it comes to how people react. I've not heard too many people say, "Discovery? Meh, it was ok. Whatever."
    So to spend a significant portion of development work on it, be it a new expansion, or a new tutorial and supporting episodes, or whatever, is going to be a divisive move. People will cheer, while others will jeer. Again, I understand the necessity that may be placed upon you by CBS to promote their show, but last time you were able to get away with a lockbox. Couldn't you have just done a single featured episode or something? Personally, I would have liked to see more content for Victory is Life. That was a fantastic expansion! Dare I say, it was your best yet, though all too brief! VIL is my favorite just barely supplanting Legacy of Romulus. But I digress.

Currently we have 12 reputations. They take 20 days to complete with a sponsorship if you can supply the 30 marks every day (and 40 days if you don't have a sponsorship). I have mixed feeling about going to T6 reps and adding additional reputations, because its already super grindy as it is. I was running 9 red alerts, an Infected (Space) Advanced, a Romulan Patrol and a Delta patrol just to keep myself in marks for all the factions. Many of the STFs you could run are so under populated that its very difficult to get a group if you need to level a reputation by running the appropriate STF for that Rep. Whet ever happened to the "Technology" that has been talked about being under development to encourage more diverse STF play? All I can say is thank goodness for Red Alert queues, or it'd be nearly impossible to level reputations these days. As things currently stand, the only way to get the ViL marks is a single STF. This has its ups and downs. Down side is, no variety of content, so I tend to only run it when I need marks. Upside is the STF is staying populated (for now, at least). And we're talking about adding a new Rep now, and/or having T6 reputation(s)? I hope you've got something in the pipeline to ease this process.

Many here are arguing about if TRIBBLE is Trek or not, Prime or not, Canon or not, I'm not going to say one way or another. If its a new way to bring more fans to Trek, then it can't be all bad. That said, if they think other Trek will be like Discovery, they'll be sorely disappointed. What I will say is many of the people I listen to who do movie and TV reviews, such as Screen Junkies, The Dave Cullen Show, Generation Tech, and Midnight's Edge, just to name a few, really didn't like TRIBBLE. Additionally, DVD Overloard did an excelent piece on what canon is, and the responsibilities those who own the IP have to abide by it and why he feels TRIBBLE is not canon. Also, just FYI, some (not all) of the videos I've referenced above have some NSFW language. Trek Yards has a whole playlist on Discovery reviews, and they try to remain positive, but typically didn't seem to care for it much either. Even some of the hosts on Priority One, while diplomatic about it, didn't seem to enjoy Discovery, and they try to remain super positive about everything Trek related. Anyone can go out and find videos on YouTube that support their point of view, but many of these are a lot of sources from the the Trek Community, and beyond, who have been out there and vocal about promoting Trek long before Discovery ever came out, and they didn't like it.
    Does that mean that you shouldn't like TRIBBLE? Not at all, and if you do, that is fantastic. The reason I bring it up is simply to show that Disco is divisive. Its not a great choice for making a large amount of content around, because there's a significant part of the Trek community that doesn't like it.

iamynaught had a great list of pros and cons, and a very well reasoned post that is definitely worth a read. It mirrors my overall feelings on this announcement:
    iamynaught wrote: »
    I'm not sure how to feel about this. There are pros and cons with this, so I suppose I'll list mine.

Pro

On one hand, I'm happy we're going to be getting new content, and apparently not just a one-off-throw-away mission like Terminal Expanse was for introducing the Kelvin Timeline into STO.

Con

It sounds like another Fed tutorial set in the ST:D era. We already have 2 Fed Tutorials, I guess someone thought a 3rd was needed. To me, it's not.

Pro

A new voice actor reprising their current role, I support this.

Con

Having to put up with the ST:D Klingons that absolutely break established canon. Call them whatever you want, they are not MY Klingons. Enterprise established the Klingons as looking like TNG era Klingons but then came up with an idea that allowed for the look of the TOS era Klingons. It was ham-fisted but it works. Now ST:D goes and breaks that and creates an entirely new look that doesn't look good, to me.

Pro

A new queue, sounds interesting enough but no idea how it'll turn out. I'll err on the side of it being decent enough for the time being.

Con

Another Rep to complete. *sigh* Oh, and we're going to have T6 in reps now? *sigh* More grind is not a fun thing in my eyes, but I suppose I should wait and see how it turns out. Just difficult to see another rep AND another level added to Reps and see anything positive.

Pro

Apparently we'll be getting a new recruitment event to go along with this. As an altaholic I approve.

Con

Apparently we'll be getting a new recruitment event to go along with this. As an altaholic who has made 3 alts for the Delta Recruit rerun and 1 Jem for the Gamma Recruit (and I'm willing to bet we'll see a rerun of the Temporal Recruit before this hits, for which I will likely make another alt), I disapprove. While I love making alts and enjoy actually leveling thru the low level content, enough is enough. Spread the events out a bit, please.

I don't mind the obvious changes to the look of the "Trek tech" between a show made 50+ years ago but set 10-ish years AFTER a show made today. Budgets increase, props and sets start looking better along with the ability to make visuall FX look 'real'. If TOS had double the budget they had, I bet things would have looked a lot different that what we actually got back then.

Some of the uniforms irk me, but the uni that Captain Pike is wearing in the recent ST:D Season 2 trailer looks nice. Will they have the shirts that are seen in TOS, or will they end up more in the style of the Kelvin Timeline uni's? I can deal with the small differences between the Kelvin and Pike ST:D uni's compared to TOS. But the main uni worn in ST:D, while it does look nice, it does not fit in with the aesthetic of the era.

Over all, I have to say I'm already not looking forward to this. However, this is day one of the announcement and very few details are known. Things could come to light and change my mind about it.
    I also agree with CaptainHunter1:
    I understand the move from a business perspective...

But what a waste of development time on content that is based on a series that should have been cancelled before it even aired. It's a complete subversion of Gene Roddenbury's vision of the future and the spirit of Trek.

I have to say I'm a little disappointed in Cryptic with this decision.

Ok, closing thoughts, and to those who made it this far, Kudos and thank you! Personally, I don't like Discovery. The idea of a whole expansion really doesn't appeal to me. If its a featured episode or a new tutorial, then that's not a big deal and seems perfectly reasonable. But again, if it is a full expansion, then Cryptic, as someone who has purchased every large expansion ship pack, from Legacy of Romulus to Victory is Life, you should know I am highly unlikely to buy a Disco themed ship pack. Everyone is free to like or dislike Discovery, but I fear that TRIBBLE is far more divisive than any other Trek series out there, that that injecting a large amount of Disco themed content may turn people off. While I don't want STO to have TRIBBLE, I do understand that having a little bit of it is necessary. I will play it regardless, because there are many wonderful people worked hard on it, but this is content that I'm unlikely to support financially.

*Edit*: Spelling errors and URL BBCode fixes.