test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Star Trek Online: Age of Discovery

Comments

• iconiansiconians Member Posts: 6,987 Arc User
    I haven't seen TRIBBLE and don't plan to, but have they explained why the Klingons don't look like the Klingons we know and love? If it is prime timeline it seems a bit broke.

They haven't explained it. Yet.​​
    ExtxpTp.jpg
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    Oh wait... will the Dsc Andorians be an option?
  • miirikmiirik Member Posts: 483 Arc User
    eww, no thanks
    friggin tired of prequels already, why the hell won't CBS make post DS9/Voyager star trek?
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    [Mod Hat] All right, let's be clear here. You're free to discuss the relative merits of the expansion and, since it's relevant, the show (and you're welcome to look at my posting history and see what I've said about it). You do NOT get to act like gatekeepers and accuse people who have a differing opinion of "not being REAL Trekkies". [/Mod Hat]
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • thedoctorblueboxthedoctorbluebox Member Posts: 749 Arc User
    I..... don't know what to think......
  • sakesshsakessh Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    Please don't make this happen. I am in no way begrudging anyone's right to like TRIBBLE, that being said, in my opinion, there are a greater number of people who do not. The number of people who availed themselves to the Discovery items/ships already in game should be an indicator of that. Discovery is a dying show, the decision to make it a pay to view show, as well as the imposition of many polarizing sociopolitical themes, alienated a large segment of the fan population. CBS knows this, which is possibly (or at least thats the rumor) why the possibility of bringing back Patrick Stewart and the TNG universe is being discussed. Discovery's latest trailer is a pretty good indicator of how desperate they are. Despite, importing more and more elements form ToS, whose cannon was completely disregarded, or distorted to unrecognizable levels in the first season, Discovery's viewership continues to disappoint. Discovery proves the old adage: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it".
    If you want a better idea for an expansion put out a poll, with multiple options, or run a contest. Or contact ME! I've got an idea that utilizes existing resources, while introducing new elements, and would generate more revenue!!!!!!
  • valarauko43valarauko43 Member Posts: 227 Arc User
    There is zero chance that I'll be watching TRIBBLE. I saw the first episode (the free one), and have no interest in stories that make no sense by which I mean the Klingons. I pay hundreds of dollars a month for my cable service which includes internet. Paying extra for one show, which I cannot reconcile with the rest of the franchise, is not happening. I only hope that Cryptic does not care that I have no idea who these characters are or what's happening in the timeline because I will be playing my character as oblivious to all things TRIBBLE that they don't explicitly explain through the game. In short...playing the game blind, NOT watching the show at all.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    And this is exactly why I have a problem with Discovery being touted as 'prime'. It's a conflict of TOS. Nothing matches up.

So? There's an explicit arc about characters and factions striving for self actualization through tragic and dramatic conflict. IE. a basic story about how the TOS setting came about using components found throughout the series. The line between ENT and TOS wasn't defined by a simple linear equation (ie. dull.) There were other stories to tell. Exactly how it was told is certainly worthy of critical discussion (any story can be told better) but there's no (objectively defensible) arguing that Discovery is, somehow, not a part of the main franchise either through "NOT MY TREK" gatekeeping or more subtle suggestions that it doesn't count as prime (at this point in the series.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • lordbeefy7lordbeefy7 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    excellent...new content, new toys.

for the naysayers....don't play the new bits if you don't want to?? perhaps??
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    I'm expecting some sort of ST:D recruitment event as well. Possibly new "Vanguard" Klingons to be purchased. More gamble-to-get ships introduced too. Cryptic better have a tardigrade included in some fashion this time though.

I don't hate ST:D but much of the time it hasn't inspired that ST vibe in me ... yet. I think the first couple of episodes were a rough beginning, but overall I think season 1 was fairly good to good for a scifi show which is how I still think of it. The season 2 trailer did look good & got me a bit hyped for it's return. I'm also glad Cryptic got someone, Wiseman, from the show for some in-game work.

This is something good for this Fall to look forward to in STO hopefully. Maybe it will add 4-6 mission episodes.
  • schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    I don't know whether I would like the new show or not, and I'm not subscribing to another streaming service to find out, but the game content sounds fun.

I'm mostly just bothered that this is how we find out that Victory Is Life really is over. There's no new story coming there, the Gamma Quadrant will never be anything but the Hur'Q battlezone that's there now.

They could have at least put some Diplomacy, Exploration, and Trade assignments there that were worth my doffs' time.
  • mikeblackwolfmikeblackwolf Member Posts: 64 Arc User
    > @hardsale said:
    > in the legendery words of quark
    >
    > "NO NO NO this is your worst idea yet"

Well said, If you wanted a TRIBBLE character, you have the uniform and ships from lockboxes already, this is just a cynical tie in to series two.
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    phoenix841 wrote: »
    I've never been more nauseated at something in STO.
    No, thanks.
    I couldn't get past the first half of the season, it's awful, and not Trek.
    At least Enterprise didn't completely retcon TOS.

I will take JJ-Trek over this. I enjoyed it much more and at least it didn't try to break canon.

That said... Reputation Tier 6?

After the first half of the season is where it stops sucking... :P
    ♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
    It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    I understand the move from a business perspective...

But what a waste of development time on content that is based on a series that should have been cancelled before it even aired. It's a complete subversion of Gene Roddenbury's vision of the future and the spirit of Trek.

I have to say I'm a little disappointed in Cryptic with this decision.
  • tousseautousseau Member Posts: 1,484 Arc User
    nommo#5819 wrote: »
    I'm expecting some sort of ST:D recruitment event as well. Possibly new "Vanguard" Klingons to be purchased. More gamble-to-get ships introduced too. Cryptic better have a tardigrade included in some fashion this time though.

I don't hate ST:D but much of the time it hasn't inspired that ST vibe in me ... yet. I think the first couple of episodes were a rough beginning, but overall I think season 1 was fairly good to good for a scifi show which is how I still think of it. The season 2 trailer did look good & got me a bit hyped for it's return. I'm also glad Cryptic got someone, Wiseman, from the show for some in-game work.

This is something good for this Fall to look forward to in STO hopefully. Maybe it will add 4-6 mission episodes.

Not quite a "Vanguard" klingon, but more along the lines of a "Torchbearer"... I thought it was interesting, that during one of the last Vil missions, Martok calling out T'Kuvma and Voq...

So a Discovery Expansion isn't that much of a stretch, considering it's foreshadowing in Victory is Life....
  • ravinravin Member Posts: 509 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    "I quit!" posts are not allowed. — StarSword-C
    Post edited by starswordc on
    =\/= ================================ =\/=
    Centurion maximus92
    12th Legion, Romulan Republic
    12th Fleet

=\/= ================================ =\/=
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    Love it, my son love it… and most of my friends too.. its quite probable they will start playing the game because of that… so, double happy!
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    I hate that I have to go to work soon because watching the inarticulate fan rage unfold in this thread would be wildly entertaining.

Don't moderate it too much while I'm gone, I want to see some of these people make asses of themselves!
  • brawndomombrawndomom Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    Would have preferred original work, such as the LoR expansion - that was clever, creative, and set up a situation where players could explore world and character. TRIBBLE is a boring and is badly written - so like DR, another boring and badly written arc - will play through the obligatory portions then return to the 'good stuff' for fun. Would really like to see more open worlds, more MMORPG opportunities.
  • cristonic2cristonic2 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    Sorry, I have been here from day one. I own TWO different copies of the game on disk even. Now, I have been happy with every other idea you have come up with, but this one, please, it's a clear sell out to CBS. Discovery is the LOWEST Ever rated Trek show in history. It is going so poorly that they have four, yes FOUR other projects in the planning stages because fans are so unhappy. It makes no sense to create an expansion based on any show with such poor reviews. Will I play it, maybe.
    I would rather see you actually fix lighting 2.0 and have a real sun set on Risa, the lightng on DS9 and all the other issues it has caused, before you start talking more expansions. There are so many little, and large, broken things in the game already . As for me speaking for anyone else, the majority of the Discovery fans are young compared with me, however, they also seldom have the funds free to put into a F2P game like this one. My only debt is my house, leaving me in a position to have the spare cash to put into things that make me happy. A new race with a few new missions, while a nice thing, is not a real expansion in my opinion.
    In the simplest terms, with the most basic definitions, I am not at all excited to read this news and feel like the game is takijng a very bad turn and about to go in the wrong direction.
    where2r1 wrote: »
    I am not really sure it matters which Star Trek show Cryptic base their game on. At least, for me.
    Since I haven't seen most of the TV shows, anyways. I just catch up on episodes as content gets released in the game. Of course, I won't have that with Star Trek Discovery. At which point this stuff becomes what it is: just content.

As for Star Trek Discovery TV show, it is not my thing. I did not like the mean spirited characters, the quest for cheap thrills, conflict over everything, everyone is bad or trying to be badass....which was going on in the episodes I did watch. I gave it a chance...wasn't for me.

(And that goes for almost all speculative fiction shown on TV these days....and having the name Star Trek on the label doesn't make Discovery stand out to me.)

I think I will stick with Orville, X-Files, People of Earth and a few other shows...until those are gone.

But the reality is: Star Trek Discovery is dark, negative action type thing....which is exactly what Star Trek Online IS. So...together, story wise, it is probably gonna be a good fit. It should be easy to pull off.

Yeah it was pretty cringe, but stopped almost entirely in it's second half, which was significantly better. The best way to watch Discovery is to just not watch the first 7 episodes. Why are people so surprised that the first season of a Trek show is really rough? It's always been the case. So much salt in this thread.
    edited July 2018
    thay8472 wrote: »
    What exactly did the TRIBBLE Blingons do that was honourable? Suicide bombings? Attacking civilian outposts? Threatening to destroy their own homeworld because they weren't united in a war they were winning?

Thinking about it, the Klingon lady who threatened to blow up Qu'noS is likely the reason why Klingon women weren't allowed to lead Klingon houses later on.

"In war, nothing is more honorable than victory."
  • cristonic2cristonic2 Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    reyan01 wrote: »
    ibukee wrote: »
    NO , this is NOT Star Trek !
    Are you trying to drive half the playerbase off?! Because that's how you drive half the playerbase off.

Really? Some of us are actually quite excited about this and you certainly don't speak of behalf of "half of the playerbase".

And it IS Star Trek.

I am sorry, it doesn't fit in the least little way into the frame work of Star trek. Gene had a rules for the show and this one breaks them all. This game at times doesn't even fit into the frame work of Star Trek. That said, you are talking about the least watched, lowest rated Trek show ever. That tells me everything right there. I watched fiver shows and cussed CBS for that app after the first show. Maybe you should step back in time and watch the very first seaon of the first Star Trek and relearned all you thought you knew.
  • avengerctc25avengerctc25 Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    No thanks, I watched the first season of Discovery and was thoroughly unimpressed. Too many inconsistencies in the art and story for me to get behind it. And really do not enjoy the "It's cannon Trek, just shut up and enjoy it" argument that pro-fans keep toting. Do I think it totally ruins the pre-existing history and cannon, I do not know, I just know that I did not enjoy it.

I've got the same opinion with the new Star Wars trilogy. I grew up reading many Star Wars novels that built and expanded on the existing characters from the original trilogy. Many authors worked very hard and collaborated together to make these novels and long running novel series, and for Disney to just come along and say "nope that's not cannon anymore, OUR stories are cannon" is a hard slap in the face, and feels like a giant middle finger to the fans.

I really hope Star Trek does not continue down a similar road, but seeing how CBS/Paramount treats fan made projects like Axanar, I wouldn't be surprised.