test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

colonelmarik's ship build thread

seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
Ok, @colonelmarik I figured I would move the discussion from the Tzenkethi thread over here where we can just concentrate on what you're trying to do.

There is a lot of good advice in that thread, but figured it would be easier to talk about it here then taking that thread off topic.

So in relation to this post:

I think it's here I should post this. Someone was asking what I've got ON my ship, so here's a screen of the gear I'm using.

Now, I'll readily admit, the phasers are a little on the weak side, but everything else is Mk XII. I simply don't have the resources to upgrade anything.

Also, I have a program that's supposed to parse dps (called "CombatLogParser"), but I'm not sure just how to compare that to the numbers some people are posting here. If anyone can tell me how to measure my dps for the sake of comparison...?

37557687_10156518998943899_834385113365086208_o.jpg?_nc_fx=fyto1-1&_nc_cat=0&oh=2344fc503ccba18cd1092d76fac916a3&oe=5BCE8453&efg=eyJhZG1pc3Npb25fY29udHJvbCI6MCwidXBsb2FkZXJfaWQiOiI1NTM1NzM4OTgifQ%3D%3D

Let me start with this, is this the best ship you have available to you? This is the 'freebie' base T5 Assault Cruiser right?

I am more then willing to go to STO Academy and map you out a build based on mission rewards and cheap gear that can get you through your missions, but lets start with your ship. Is this the ship that you're going to use? Can we maybe do better then this?

You have access to any event ships? any other C-Store ships? Lets start there.. what do you have access to?

I am sure that between myself and people like @peterconnorfirst, @coldnapalm, @tunebreaker, etc.. we can find you something that works. Those guys know their stuff, if they can't help you.. no one can. :smile:
Insert witty signature line here.

Comments

• Options
    I have the same question, from your last post it sounds like the fight opens, the enemy fires an opening volley and you're dead.

This make absolutely no sense. Now, if you were dying in prolonged engagements, that would make sense. Trying to out tank NPC's with their tons of HP and Shields is not a good idea, but I really don't understand how you can be dying instantly at the start of a fight. I have played this game since a few months before Legacy Of Romulus (2013) and I have never seen that.

Instant shields going down? Sure.. the Borg certainly do that.. but we can make you something that can destroy them before they can take your hull down. Even if the Assault Cruiser is the best you have, it won't be great for queued runs, but we can still make you one that can rip through any mission in the game, they simply aren't that hard when you take the right approach.
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,984 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    If you're going to stick with phasers, you may want to consider completing your Quantum Phase Catalysts set by replaying the mission to get the beam array and torpedo. It's really the only torpedo you need on the ship and a very good one (maximum 2 torps but preferably just the one).

Another nice set to complete would be the Trilithium Laced Weaponery from Beyond the Nexus so you can pair up the mission phaser omni with your console for the 2 piece bonus.

If you have the Bajoran Interceptor 8th anniversary event ship that gives the DOMINO console consider using it. Replacing the left and right tac consoles with even Mk 12 blue phaser relays should also give your beams some more pep.

In one of your device slots consider slotting https://sto.gamepedia.com/Reactive Armor Catalysts unlocked by playing the mission Broken Circle.

Consider posting your spec with boff abilities on STO academy via a link if you haven't already done so. My 2 EC :smile:

Edit: if https://sto.gamepedia.com/Assault_Cruiser this is your ship try and save up for a cruiser with a LtC and ensign tactical boff slot as it would be so much nicer: TT1, APB1, BFAW3, TS1. Several ships fit the bill.
  • Options
    peterconnorfirstpeterconnorfirst Member Posts: 6,225 Arc User
    Just seen in the pic that Marik does have access to reputation traits after all. Big question there would be what direction the build is supposed to take. Energy focus, Torpedo focus or exotic focus? I think we can rule out the latter on this ship so the optimum choices performance players seem to stick with when on aux2bat (and the Nukara aux based ones can’t shine) would separate into:

Energy heavy build:
    - Precision
    - Advanced Targeting Systems
    - Magnified Firepower
    - Tactical Advantage OR if you rather go more defensive in tough matches Advanced Hull reinforcement works wonders.

Kinetic heavy build:
    - Omega Kinetic Shearing
    - Torpedo Pre-Fire Sequence
    - Precision
    - Advanced Targeting Systems

Now there is one big question for you @colonelmarik , do you have access to the last winter event breen ship? The one with the Cold Hearted space trait? If you do I can only encourage you to get and install that as it works like a charm with aux2bat and would make the use of

- Controlled Countermeasures

reputation trait feasible. Aux2bat with Cold Hearted has really been this year’s top dog which has been responsible for the huge game wide rise of DPS.

While it would of be great if you’d make an STO academy link of your current build, screenshots of your boff, doffs and gear would work too. I know it’s a bit of work for you but that way we can keep track and work on your build best.
    animated.gif
    Looking for a fun PvE fleet? Join us at Omega Combat Division today.
    felisean wrote: »
    teamwork to reach a goal is awesome and highly appreciated
  • Options
    edited July 2018

protoneous wrote: »

Edit: if https://sto.gamepedia.com/Assault_Cruiser this is your ship try and save up for a cruiser with a LtC and ensign tactical boff slot as it would be so much nicer: TT1, APB1, BFAW3, TS1. Several ships fit the bill.

Pretty much that proton. :)

Think @seaofsorrows suggested that in the original thread as well. The T5 Assault cruiser is highly limited while the T6 counterpart would open up so many options already.
    animated.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Yes, I am trying to see if we can get him into a ship that can use FAW III. The way things are right now, below that is hardly useful anymore. FAW II is ok'ish.. but FAW I is almost not worth using.

If we can get him in a cruiser with a Ltc. Tactical and he has access to Cold Hearted, we're in business. :smile:
  • Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User
    from where "cold hearted" comes from?
  • Options

Cold Hearted is a starship trait that is earned by leveling up the Breen Plesh Tral Heavy Raider which was a free ship given away during the 2017 Winter Event.

It's a fantastic trait that makes Aux2Bat builds even better.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    Oki. :)

Based on the input from @seaofsorrows @coldnapalm and @protoneous I added a bit of budget stuff we recommend in the STO league, mixed in some “I want to have phasers and torpedos and such on my Enterprise” attitude that I suspect from Marik and squeezed it all into a Tier 6 fleet version on his ship of choice. All it would cost would be the 4 ship modules.

https://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/7ee00c852506a2f2a54c534569c2ada0

Don’t know about you guys but I think with such a build he should get through normal difficulty with flying colors, be a reliable team-mate in advanced and would not be embarrassing playing with elite teams.

If you have any suggestions please make them and I integrate. Also, @colonelmarik , please give further info about what you aim for and if the suggested build would be feasible for you to implement.
    animated.gif
  • Options

Based on the input from @seaofsorrows @coldnapalm and @protoneous I added a bit of budget stuff we recommend in the STO league, mixed in some “I want to have phasers and torpedos and such on my Enterprise” attitude that I suspect from Marik and squeezed it all into a Tier 6 fleet version on his ship of choice. All it would cost would be the 4 ship modules.

Don’t know about you guys but I think with such a build he should get through normal difficulty with flying colors, be a reliable team-mate in advanced and would not be embarrassing playing with elite teams.

If you have any suggestions please make them and I integrate. Also, @colonelmarik , please give further info about what you aim for and if the suggested build would be feasible for you to implement.

Very nice.. something like this is exactly what I had in mind. Dirt cheap and capable of destroying any of the normal/advanced missions or queues.

Nicely done. :smile:
  • Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User

Critique number 1: Fluidic Coccoon.

Simply put, unless you're high DPSer pugging ISA (or any other borg advanced queue where Torps are in abundance), it's mince.
    Assuming a scenario where a player gets 50% ATKS-in, with half of them torps, you have an effective buff of 0.25% per stack ((0.5/2)*0.2*5)=0.25, where first element is % of torps flying towards you, second chance of trait proccing and third the dmg buff. Yes, that's cat2, but even then 0.75% is still almost a waste of trait slot.

Critique number 2: Almost all of the other personal traits.

Assuming Marik is not swimming in EC and hasn't acquired those traits, it's going to be hell of an investment. It's good to have a list of reference where he can see which traits to buy in the future, but in the meantime, he needs alternatives. Furthermore, a player who is not very experienced is not going to survive going absolutely fully specced into damage, not even in ISA. He could use at least Repair Crews or Ablative Shell, preferrably both.

For the build you made, my trait suggestions would be:
    1. Fleet Coordinator (already mentioned in skillplanner)
    2. Point Blank Shot (already mentioned in skillplanner)
    3. Beam Training
    4. Beam Barrage
    5. Operative
    6. Techie
    7. Accurate (replace with Context is for Kings ASAP)
    8. Shield Frequency Analyst (replace with Repair Crews ASAP)
    9. Elusive
    10. Innocuous
    Everything in Italic you should eventually replace with, in that order... Self-Modulating Fire, Ablative Shell, Inspirational Leader, Duelist's Fervor). Start replacing traits from the bottom.

Critique number 3: Controlled Countermeasures
    There are no control powers listed I can see, why that?
    Replace with Enhanced Armor Penetration.

Other than that, I guess that would perform nicely, thanks for taking the time to put it together.
    Gruber, I can't believe you just gave your stamp of approval to aux2bat vessel. Years have made you soft![/quote]
  • Options
    @peterconnorfirst - Wow :smile: Every last detail right down to optimal traits and even a great ground build.

One thing that continues to amaze and impress about OCD members in particular (both in-game and on the forums) and some others here as well is the willingness to help and sharing of knowledge to improve game play.
    You do your fellow players a good service as many of your recommendations seem to somehow trickle down in-game via your fleet and have provided many key improvements to my own builds as well.

Salute.
  • Options
    edited July 2018

The effects of Cold Hearted count as a control effect. Controlled Countermeasures stacks with Cold Hearted.

If he doesn't have Cold Hearted, he should remove that trait. The rest of your advice is all top notch if we're trying to keep the build as cost effective as possible.

Hopefully, he can get something in between.. we don't really know what traits he has access to, but your suggestions definitely bring the costs down. :smile:

• Options
    tunebreakertunebreaker Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User

The effects of Cold Hearted count as a control effect. Controlled Countermeasures stacks with Cold Hearted.

If he doesn't have Cold Hearted, he should remove that trait. The rest of your advice is all top notch if we're trying to keep the build as cost effective as possible.

Hopefully, he can get something in between.. we don't really know what traits he has access to, but your suggestions definitely bring the costs down. :smile:

Oh, I wasn't aware of that. I don't own the trait myself and tool tip indicated, that if anything, it would proc things that proc off drain abilities. Thanks :)
  • Options
    bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    There's not going to be any fleet doodads, as I'm a fleet of one, still trying to get my K13 constructed. I abandoned any idea of building up a Starbase ages ago, and K13 has soaked up all my EC, all my dilithium and all my DOs on all my characters. So, while fleet gear might be beneficial, I'm unlikely ever to have access to it.

I think you guys have missed/forgotten about ^^this^^, this basically means he has no resources, so your "budget" build is anything but, all that Mk15 Epic gear cost a lot of resources he probably wont have for many months.

So you might want to start thinking about using mission rewards and rep gear instead, that way he'll have a solid base to work from once he does get the resources to do all the upgrades.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    bejaymac wrote: »
    There's not going to be any fleet doodads, as I'm a fleet of one, still trying to get my K13 constructed. I abandoned any idea of building up a Starbase ages ago, and K13 has soaked up all my EC, all my dilithium and all my DOs on all my characters. So, while fleet gear might be beneficial, I'm unlikely ever to have access to it.

I think you guys have missed/forgotten about ^^this^^, this basically means he has no resources, so your "budget" build is anything but, all that Mk15 Epic gear cost a lot of resources he probably wont have for many months.

So you might want to start thinking about using mission rewards and rep gear instead, that way he'll have a solid base to work from once he does get the resources to do all the upgrades.

The build connor suggested does not have any Epic or Fleet Gear. The proposed build indeed uses nothing but episode rewards, things he already has, and things he can find cheap. The only expensive thing on Connors sample build are a few traits, and tunebreaker provided cheaper alternatives to all of them.
    protoneous wrote: »
    One thing that continues to amaze and impress about OCD members in particular (both in-game and on the forums) and some others here as well is the willingness to help and sharing of knowledge to improve game play.
    You do your fellow players a good service as many of your recommendations seem to somehow trickle down in-game via your fleet and have provided many key improvements to my own builds as well.

Salute.

This was very cool of you to say, thank you. OCD is a great fleet and it starts from the top. We are really lucky to have some of the people we do, I wouldn't still be playing STO if not for OCD.
    Post edited by seaofsorrows on
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    All of this advice is great for anyone looking for advice on building. Thank you all for posting it. I certainly would listen to such experienced players as yourself if/when I was looking to tweak a build. I hope @colonelmarik can find time to come in and read all this.

I'm no optimal build person myself, but I don't insta-die when I'm playing, so I'm not terrible either.

Maybe I should read other threads in here too and see what I can do on a budget, cause I'm perpetually space-poor lol.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    bejaymacbejaymac Member Posts: 448 Arc User
    The build connor suggested does not have any Epic or Fleet Gear. The proposed build indeed uses nothing but episode rewards, things he already has, and things he can find cheap. The only expensive thing on Connors sample build are a few traits, and tunebreaker provided cheaper alternatives to all of them.

Huh!! I must be going senile in my old age, could have swore that build was full of Mk15 gear when I made that post.
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    First of all big thanks to @seaofsorrows @protoneous @tunebreaker and @coldnapalm for the kind words, checking of the build and further helping Marik.

Oh yep, when I made the sheet I used one of my own toons and adapted it for Marik. Saves a bit of time compared to working from scratch. I forgot about the traits (and some of the ground gear) as it was not on my mind when doing it. There was a time where good space traits spiked at 300mil EC (*looks at Neela*) but ever since the introduction of the infinity lock box those prices where shrinked down to a few million EC, something I make trough sales every day in this game. Of course if those resources are beyond the OP’s options the traits tunebreaker presented are the way to go.

As for cocoon, na it’s one of my favorites. I never thought about the likelihood of torpedo impacts but rather the fact that for energy builds close proximity to targets almost ever pays off. Damage drop off with range, point blank shot and narrow sensor bandwidth all grand big bonuses seeing to it that one mostly ends up near critter explosions or right in the middle of it. Tacs also use those to fine tune go down fighting. Hellspwny thinks that you get the 3 stacks of cocoon rather fast in ISA and this has been my observation as well. Kinetic cutting beams of the borg trigger it as well, so did tractor beams for a time but this has been patched out. Now if, under the growing mass of traits we get each season, cocoon is in the top 10 or top 20 I cannot tell but I have seen players drop Inspirational Leader rather than cocoon.

Now for the OP @colonelmarik

At first I was about to update the sheet with tunebreaker’s traits but now think its best if you first really prioritize what you want to do. Now if you about to install Beam: Overload for a lt. commander tac it most likely goes into another direction than I had in mind or made any good experience with.

This game is really tricky with its discrepancy between how we wish it to play and how it in fact plays. I certainly understand the urge to force the former. I do it as well that way. At some point though you notice the moment you open up to the latter your own performance begins to increase. All obstacles that were there simply vanish. For me the difference here is if I end up in the top 50 or the top 20 of the ISA DPS leaderboard (top 10 in HSE even). For you it seems to be much more at stake as your very fun in game feels at stake and you wonder if the rules need to change over the difficulty you face.

Well they need not! We do DPS records in HSE and finish Corfez when we have to. This stuff is challenging maybe not at all impossible.

Same counts for you and the PvE maps and stories of your choice. It’s all up to you mate. :)
    animated.gif
  • Options
    I do have a tier 6 ship, a Pathfinder (USS FEYNMAN). However, I use two other ships quite a bit, a Tier 5 Mirror Heavy Cruiser (USS PATTON) and a Tier 5 Ambassador (USS PATRICIA PRINCE). Lately, I've been playing in the Tier 5 Sovereign (USS REPUBLIC), and even considering upgrading to the Tier 6 version (though I find it hard to justify the expense of another tier 6 ship... perhaps if it came with a canon bridge and interior....). I tend to play one or the other of these ships most of the time, but I do have other ships I play, representing the character's career.
    Your tier 6 Pathfinder can be quite a formidable ship. Having been inspired by another poster in this thread, I've been flying some similar ships with surprising success using a balanced build that would also work on a cruiser.

This may or may not be your style though (exotic/torp), but as an owner of a battle cruiser with a LtC tac boff seat (the Arbiter in my case), it could be a worthy plan to consider saving up for something similar in the future, it just that significant a difference.

Your "head-canon / immersion" in your ship and character is admirable.

I once had a fleet mate that seemed similar with his own ships. He had a certain idea of how a battle with the enemy should unfold and was faithful to his unique canon builds but unfortunately the game's A.I. didn't always agree with this approach.

It seems that sometimes some small concessions have to be made with respect to build and and how one approaches and engages in combat to ensure a reasonable chance of success. As well as this there are core aspects of spec and boff layout that work well. The dynamic application of boff and captain abilities was one area he seemed to hold off on.

My suggestion to him was if you do try something just a bit different and succeed but don't get the canon prolonged naval type battle you're looking for there are always tougher enemies available.

• Options
    sennahcheribsennahcherib Member Posts: 2,823 Arc User

Cold Hearted is a starship trait that is earned by leveling up the Breen Plesh Tral Heavy Raider which was a free ship given away during the 2017 Winter Event.

ok thx, unfortunately I don't have this ship.

• Options
    edited July 2018

ok thx, unfortunately I don't have this ship.

That‘s too bad but please know that it is not that of a biggie. Yea at the moment we do have an aux2bat hype again and part of that is related to this trait. Nevertheless the trait has limits to its stacks so all in team having it is no use. Also if others in team bring it to a PvE you profit from it as well (same should count for Controlled Countermeasures which I slot when I know my wing-man uses cold hearted). In the long run I bet cold hearted will be outsourced to support players for record runs anyway.

Independent of it all aux2bat still remains a very potent way for CD management. That came mostly with S13 as most aux/energy-weapon symbiosis where precisely nerfed and peeps found going full tac, less sci powers to be optimum.

For the players its great! Aux2bat is cheap and so efficient for almost all builds but exotics. :#
    Post edited by peterconnorfirst on
    animated.gif
  • Options
    All in all, my goal has always been to make a ship that is fun to play. For me, that means having battles that last a bit. I don't want to be destroying the enemy in the blink of an eye, nor do I want them to destroy ME in the blink of an eye. The reason is that I don't find that fun or dramatic, or in any way anything like I saw on the shows.

Fair enough, but you need to consider the way most of the story missions are constructed. Most of the missions see you facing wave after wave of enemies, this is what gives battles the 'prolonged' feeling. Almost every mission, when you go into combat it's 'defeat wave of enemy 1/5' or something similar. The enemies in this game come at you wave after wave, if you're making each one last as long as possible, you're going to get worn down. No one is saying you have to instantly vaporize the enemy into oblivion, but in order to succeed on a consistent basis, you are going to want to give some strong consideration to the idea of ending fights at least a little bit quicker. Star Trek Online is not made to have fights like The Enterprise vs. The Reliant in Star Trek II, it's a nice idea.. but it doesn't really work for this game.