test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I enjoy the game but I would prefer less mini games and clicking.

archer01#0741 archer01 Member Posts: 99 Arc User
Sometimes I feel like a lot of the systems in STO are bloated. That is to say, all of the click-fests are one of my least favorite parts of the game. Examples of these includes all the different kinds of gears and stats to keep track of, the constant filling of the inventory and sorting through it all, the 12 reputations, duty officers, admiralty system, all the different currencies, tech upgrades, research and development, so many different abilities to sort through, it just goes on and on.

In short, I don't enjoy spending a whole bunch of time in a menu as opposed to playing the game. I am not naive, I'm virtually certain that these things are indeed likely in the game to give people something to do (or waste people's time to put it another way) but I wish there wasn't so much of it.
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,310 Community Moderator
    All of that stuff is optional. You can actually play the rest of the game without it.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    What BMR said. None of the stuff you mentioned is mandatory. You can skip DOFF missions, Admiralty, R&D, all of it. Buy your gear from the Exchange or just use mission rewards and sets. This game is easy enough that you don't have to worry too much about gear.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Only times I've bothered doffing or admiralty is when they've been tied into a recruit and even then I only do it if I can be bring myself to click through all the stuff.

The console version for doffing is much better with the option to autobuy the commodities although there is faff to offset that in the way it handles doff tasks given by npc's.

Admiralty is another timesink piece of mildly pointless frivolity put into the game to get login numbers up. Appstore clickers have more gameplay.

You can pretty much ignore upgrading unless you want to min max or do elite queues, they increased the MK level but as with delta grinding never added the content to say that maybe its time to upgrade.

Reps take a bit of time and once done you can ignore them, think of it as an ongoing project. Also once you cap a rep on one character the process becomes much faster for alts through sponsoring them by double the rep you get from daily tasks.

R&D have some traits so work on the ones you want and ignore the rest until later.
  • nikephorusnikephorus Member Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    > @ruinthefun said:
    > I like my space paperwork, it means I can get work done in the game without having to have any fun in it.

That's a knee slapper.
    Tza0PEl.png
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    When I saw mini games I thought the three used to get colony resources at fleet holdings. Those mini games are quite annoying and even worked in to missions. The missions I don't mind so much because they aren't over used in there. Events and fleet holdings however those little mini games quickly drive me to find something else to do.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,857 Arc User
    All of that stuff is optional. You can actually play the rest of the game without it.

except when you have to do them to unlock a door
    Spock.jpg

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    And people like me.... I don't really play the action video game part much at all. I am not good at it. Never have been. So, I mainline the "clicky" and "collecting" side of the game.

And, I don't agree with Armada Leader (ruinthefun) who thinks it is not fun....I rather enjoy it. I have spent almost all of my 4-5 years just DOFFing and filling in the progress bars on various activities.
    Post edited by where2r1 on
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Elite Force 2 had a pretty fun minigame where you had to rotate circuit-pipes on a circuit board and make sure you don't position them next to a broken circuit.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    Less daily clicking would be nice but that would also mean less XP and less dilithium so on balance, no thanks. And less mini-games? Please. I want more mini-games. Give me something along the lines of an STO version the board game "Operation." I'm not kidding. Give me something like the "hacking" mini-game in mass effect 2 and tons of other cool mini-games.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
    I really don't mind the minigames at all. I can usually solve them or play them pretty quickly. Most of them run only about a minute. The isolinear chip one isn't that bad, you can find the solution to most of them online.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    echatty wrote: »
    I really don't mind the minigames at all. I can usually solve them or play them pretty quickly. Most of them run only about a minute. The isolinear chip one isn't that bad, you can find the solution to most of them online.
    I always laugh at how much grief the isolinear game gives to people, because my 6 year olds had no difficulty with that one and didn't even feel the need to mention it as being particularly noteworthy, and yet people apparently REALLY struggle with something that a 6 year old considers trivial. It's like that saying about how only adults have problems with child-proof caps.
    STO's puzzles are not only trivially easy, but the solution is often given outright by the instructions. Including the isolinear puzzle.
    dtrekkie wrote: »
    where2r1 wrote: »
    And people like me.... I don't really play the action video game part much at all. I am not good at it. Never have been. So, I mainline the "clicky" and "collecting" side of the game.

And, I don't agree with Armada Leader (ruinthefun) who thinks it is not fun....I rather enjoy it. I have spent almost all of my 4-5 years just DOFFing and filling in the progress bars on various activities.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. If not then damn, I guess there's something for everyone lol.

No, not being sarcastic at all. I am really bad at the action part of video games. LOL!

It took me 2 hours (or more....had to beam back to the ship to restart it a couple of times) to get through that Lucky Ferengi mission. I was so lost in that maze that was the ship and I couldn't find the things to kill. I totally had no idea what the heck was going on.

I usually tend to ignore that stuff...but I wanted to get a set of throwing knives for my Ferengi. Which turned out to be all for naught, because I got no visuals that I can see on her costume. LOL! Eh, it happens.

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    not everyone is good at the same things, for me DOFF stuff is literally free XP etc, why would I skip it?
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    Maybe you're learning to hate fun, then. I mean, that's what *I* do all the time, but it's because I HATE FUN.

Armada Leader, I doubt you would be doing it, if you hate it as much as you are saying. You are getting a pay off from it and that is "what floats your boat"..therefore, quit lying, you know you love it.

I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not. If not then damn, I guess there's something for everyone lol.

There is definitely something for everyone. I suck at ground combat, so I only do it when I have to. I'm pretty good at space combat. Well, I survive it most of the time. I love the events and running for that free ship. I'm \actually running the summer ship on my two accts, plus my son, my grandson and my son in law as they're very busy this summer (or just can't cause computer issues). That was eight runs at first cause my grandson and son in law both had previous event ships still slotted. I'm back down to five for this year's ship.

I also just like to faff about with DOFFS, Admiralties or crafting sometimes too. Or just running RAs, DSEs or Rom patrols. It all depends on my mood. This week I'm also getting my family's free phoenix boxes for them.

So yeah, even if some people absolutely despise one aspect of the game, others will absolutely love it.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @reyan01 said:
    > vetteguy904 wrote: »
    >
    > baddmoonrizin wrote: »
    >
    > All of that stuff is optional. You can actually play the rest of the game without it.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > except when you have to do them to unlock a door
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Even THAT was made less tedious recently, with 'Quark's Seven' giving us the option to use things like 'tricorder overide' if we couldn't be bothered to play the 'mini-game'.

I don't mind the mini-games much, except the one at the start of Delta Flight, but thats more the endless "didn't click fast enough, click 3 more times to restart".

That one is really easy to get by. One of the easiest in the game really. Just pick one of the 3 options and over your mouse over it until it turns the right color and BAM. Click instantly and you'll never lose. Way better strategy than just trying to "on the fly" click the correct option while moving the mouse.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    I know the game is eight years old but I find it entertaining when player's decry the mini-games. They exist because the player-base asked for them. Without them the game simply isn't Trek enough.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    psiameese wrote: »
    I know the game is eight years old but I find it entertaining when player's decry the mini-games. They exist because the player-base asked for them. Without them the game simply isn't Trek enough.

Just for clarification, what I meant by mini games were things like reputations, doffs, admirality, things like that (it's not that I hate these things). I am fine with the mini games in episodes for the most part.

If you don't like them, don't do them. "Problem" solved.
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    I 'play' (grind) STO for the longest time now as a click-fest & micromanaging simulator, mostly to collect the few cool new 3D designs I like and some nice gear to make them fun to use however rare that happens now. As a "fleet admiral" title, such paperwork is star trek admiral territory.

Sometimes I'll do the new queue, or a quick ISA or CCA.

It's mandatory if you want to acquire lots of stuff free, and in exchange you give them metrics - except the queues remain empty, and the game becomes less and less fun, and the stuff acquired has less meaning since the end game is tiny and team play not really a thing unless you find many friends online who aren't grinding or playing something else for actual fun.

The main game I now play is 100% fast paced & strategic FPS & vehicle PVP action, and the fun begins when you log in, and it has zero click-festing. The most micro-managing will be selecting your loadout and class and this happens in active warzones or during respawns. I don't even mind seeking fun stuff even if it doesn't give optimal K/D or XP rate, and I'm 100% F2P in it. It is also 5 years old.

No surprise I no longer actively play STO in favor of it.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
This discussion has been closed.