test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Vor’cha

noven2000noven2000 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
Saw the Excelsior Class graphics upgrade. I think the Vor’cha class needs some love too! https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/memoryalpha/images/3/36/Vor'cha_class,_profile.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20080911030949&path-prefix=en

Comments

• seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    The Vorcha line is kind of a mess stat wise and I'd be surprised if they'd touch it again. It's just bizarre how different the T5 and T5-fleet versions are. It's a shame since I really like the Vorkang model.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Which is also a shortcoming of the extremely limited versatility of STOs ship design. You can oly do so much with 14 (?) BOFF abilities, 8 weapons and 12 consoles. Ship shape, crew, range etc. don't play a role in STO. You end up with lots of ships doing the same and essentially just swap a skin.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • noven2000noven2000 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    I thought it deserve attention given it was on of the original trio of the TNG era.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    It's a mess because it's a flawed product of early design, and the result is a Klingon ship that has only ever been seen facing forwards, given a setup that only permits it to sidederp, among other things. Given its various boff layouts, anything you build on it will just make it an inferior copy of an existing, superior item. The Cruiser Niche is overcrowded with far better offerings...but the rules of Street Legal T6 conversion mandate that the T6 version be a superset of the T5 version. This guarantees failure, as every possible niche you could cram it into has been done better by something else.
    I wouldn't say STO's design is the limiting factor, so much as that the limiting factor is the constraints of the T5 to T6 conversion rules. It's possible to make a good Vorcha if you throw out these rules, but there's just no real room in any lineup for another generic 4/4 Beamderper Cruiser.

This is probably the first time I've ever seen anyone call the Tor'Kaht a poor battlecruiser. The Tork is my primary ship on my Lethean and it makes a perfectly good cannon boat -- it has a higher turn rate than the Avenger/Mogh, and plenty of tac slots for a good layout if you know how to build engi cruisers (you have to break the mold of "MUST HAV MOAR TAC"). And until the Avenger and Mogh were released the only ship anywhere with 5/3 was a Scimitar.

EDIT: Added another quotation.
    Post edited by starswordc on
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    The "has only ever seen facing forward" argument is a bit moot though. "Broadsiding" is something STO pulled from nowhere, there have been no examples of that in the entirety of Trek. All ships always fought facing forward because that's where the main weapons are. Which brings us back to STOs oversimplified design.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    This is probably the first time I've ever seen anyone call the Tor'Kaht a poor battlecruiser. The Tork is my primary ship on my Lethean and it makes a perfectly good cannon boat
    Well, aside from the crappy 4/4 layout that saddles you with so many garbage turrets, anyway. Terribly strange on a ship that has only ever been seen facing forwards.
    starswordc wrote: »
    -- it has a higher turn rate than the Avenger/Mogh, and plenty of tac slots for a good layout if you know how to build engi cruisers (you have to break the mold of "MUST HAV MOAR TAC").
    I wouldn't really say that there was too little or too much Tac. The thing is, though...the Tork's exact same layout and even MORE turn can already be had in the Miranda, right down to the same **** 4/4 layout despite an aggressive forward-facing physical look. So, you know, we already HAVE this ship.

*looks at his kor class bird of prey* two more guns.. I can work with that.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    nightken wrote: »

Whoa.... If you like the BoP, this is not. Even. Close.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • nightkennightken Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    nightken wrote: »

Whoa.... If you like the BoP, this is not. Even. Close.
    well technically it's one more weapon and one weapon instead of an experimental weapon. which probably still be better for dps. and with the sets I use the turn rate wouldn't be a problem. if I can fly a vanguard carrier with DHC I can handle a vor'cha. and the higher weapon count means I have more room to mount whatever weapons I'm interestd in with giving up set bonus or more powerful weapons. and that not coovering the sheer diffence in hull. even the lower tact would be much of a problem I prefer lower tact seating in the first place. the low science is annoying but I can work around that well enough.

and I said I can work with it, not I prefer it.

if I stop posting it doesn't make you right it. just means I don't have enough rum to continue interacting with you.
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,635 Arc User
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    If you think it's so wonderful, then just fly the Miranda: It's the same ship with all of the same warts, and the same boff layout.

Tork: LtC Tac, Lt Tac, Cdr Eng, Ens Eng, Lt Sci, Consoles 5/2/4, Turn 10, Weapons 4/4,

Miranda: LtC Tac, LtC Uni/Pilot, Cdr Eng, Ens Eng, Lt Sci, Consoles 4/3/4, Turn 11, Weapons 4/4.

Same ship, only better in every way, exactly what you'd expect out of a T6. It'd be hard for you to come up with a better T6 conversion.

I didn't realize that the miranda was a KDF ship. Oh silly me.

It was cloned for the KDF, as per Cryptic doctrine. The KDF version is called QeHpu'. Decidedly non-canon looks though. Stat wise, probably too high of an Inertia rating at 40, at least for Patrickngo's taste.
  • noven2000noven2000 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    The vor’cha skin is not the only one that needs love. Negh’var also needs some love. But the vor’cha definitively needs more attention from my point of view.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    And keep giving them ideas about what you DON'T want....they will make MORE pilot ships.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • staq16staq16 Member Posts: 1,181 Arc User
    Simple consoles and spec seating could go a LONG way on the Vor'cha T6.

It's a great platform that outperforms pretty much every other T5U cruiser... it's only a few months since I was last using one with, of all things, a Beam Overload build. That much-maligned maneuverability helps with everything except FAW.

The ship itself is screaming out to have miracle worker seating - this is the one ship which, in canon, has been seen using cannons, beams and torpedoes. Throw on a console which encourages morphogenic-set style weapon mixing and you get a ship which is screen accurate, interesting and playable.
This discussion has been closed.