test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why can't STO Prize giveaways be truly international?

ajm1067ajm1067 Member Posts: 205 Arc User
So, was reading about the Star Trek Online Special Edition ORIGIN PC Desktop Giveaway, and as usual, I checked the T&C, which, as usual, confirmed that as I do not reside in North America, I was not eligible to enter.

Don't you think it is ironic that an Internet game, with an international player base, which is itself based on a ground-breaking TV show that showed us a world where it didn't matter what part of it you were from, and despite running longer than the original TV series, cannot manage to offer a prize, like the above, outside of the US/Canada?
NewMixedCrest.jpg?width=350&height=170
McVittie's Marauders - The House of Arrgh
Website
Discord
I absolutely, positively, will not create more characters in STO now that I have five six seven eight nine ten!
McVittie/Saren/Arrgh Son of Jahn/Taev Dar/Professor Moriarty/Mia/Vittie/Vidtana'Clan/Suram/Sarela

Comments

• avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    If the problem is postage costs then why don't they let you pay for it?
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    This has nothing to do with Star Trek, Cryptic or even PWE but with US (or anywhere else) law I'd guess. Years ago, they added a line saying "winners outside of the US are awarded an equivalent Zen value", but they haven't done that in a longer time.

I still entered and would be amused if I won pig-2.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • darakossdarakoss Member Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    This thread again......

After a quick search this will give you a idea why it is only domestic.

If you think that sweepstakes laws can be confusing and expensive to adhere to in the US, wait till you check out these unique laws in other countries.
    Canada: When running a promotion in Quebec all materials must be available in English AND French. This includes rules, promotional ads, posters, entry forms, web sites, etc. And when you run a sweeps all winners must pass a basic skill test (usually a math problem) to claim their prize. See our previous blog post for more information on this.
    Mexico: In Mexico, any prize exceeding approximately US$5,000 has to be delivered in the presence of the Mexican authorities.
    Brazil: In Brazil, you can’t award cash as a prize. UPDATE AUGUST 2015: Brazil recently revised their position on contests. Contests/promotions are now prohibited unless permission is obtained from the Ministry of Finance in Brazil and there is not a standard practice for submitting promotions for potential approval at this time. Please contact us if you have an interest in running a promotion in Brazil.
    France: In France, ANY participants in your promotion can claim the cost of Internet or postage that they paid to enter your promotion. Which means if you have thousands of mail-in entries and they all want to be reimbursed for postage, you may compromise your budget.
    Sweden: In Sweden, all games of chance (sweepstakes and instant wins) are banned. Games of skill (contests) are allowed, though!
    Ireland: In Ireland, all games of chance (sweepstakes and instant wins) requiring purchase are banned unless a sponsor is a non-profit charity.
    Italy: In Italy, you must have your promotion registered, bonded, and have your rules reviewed by Italian counsel – plus you must involve a public official in winner selection. As if that were not cost prohibitive enough, you must also collect all of your sweepstakes data in Italy.
    Netherlands: According to Dutch law, an individual may not receive more than 2,500 Euros in total prizes. And the total amount of prizes for an entire promotion prize pool cannot exceed 100,000 Euros.
    Russia: Maintaining publicity rights in perpetuity is not possible in Russia. This means that the rights to use any user generated content (photos, essays, videos, etc.) you collect in conjunction with a promotion will need to be negotiated if you plan on using the content.
    Taiwan: In Taiwan, your grand prize can’t be more that 120 times the basic monthly wages set by the Council of Labor Affairs under the Executive Yuan (Cabinet). As of July 1, 2014 this amount is set at NT$19,273 (approximately US$640) per month, so don’t let your grand prize go over NT$2,312,760 (approximately US$76,800).
    i-dont-always-funny-meme.jpg
    original join date 2010

Member: Team Trekyards. Visit Trekyards today!
  • gaevsmangaevsman Member Posts: 3,190 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    In my country, there is no such regulation, you won, you won, and that's it (except when there is money, in that case you pay a tax), but international customers can simply win the packs, winners of digital items (usually) are not relguated in any way.
    The forces of darkness are upon us!
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    OP, you may not understand this but, in addition to the nightmare that is a myriad of different sweepstakes laws by state (50 different states = 50 different sets of laws to follow) the US has Federal laws about which countries you can actually export computers to and which countires you can't. THEN ON TOP OF THAT, each country has IT'S OWN LAWS about how you can run a sweepstakes. And I'm assuming that individual provinces/counties/states within other countries have their own laws.

How exactly do you expect a giveaway to be "truly international?"
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • jaredza#2872 jaredza Member Posts: 80 Arc User
    I get that there are legal differences country to country but that doesn't stop various tech sites running international giveaways, postage included. You see them regularly on their social media sites, running with the same entry system open to subscribers or followers around the world. They simply put the onus on the individual to be familiar with any tax or legal implications that you may need to pay.
  • davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,511 Arc User
    I get that there are legal differences country to country but that doesn't stop various tech sites running international giveaways, postage included. You see them regularly on their social media sites, running with the same entry system open to subscribers or followers around the world. They simply put the onus on the individual to be familiar with any tax or legal implications that you may need to pay.

Some possible reasons for this:
    * The person running the contest is ignoring the laws. Joe Streamguy can get away with this, and maybe even a few small companies without an international presence. Real companies with an international presence can't do this safely.
    * It's a low-value prize so ignoring the laws "seemed safe" -- here it's a $3,000+ computer
    * It's a digital in-game item like the holographic boffs with no "real-world" cash value
    * It's being done by a much larger company than Cryptic, and they've spent the thousands of dollars to do the legal review for multiple countries

But in general, most merchandise giveaways I've seen from real companies do have limitations on the countries allowed for entries, and in most cases it's US-only for a US company.

• artan42artan42 Member Posts: 10,450 Bug Hunter
    angrytarg wrote: »
    This has nothing to do with Star Trek, Cryptic or even PWE but with US (or anywhere else) law I'd guess. Years ago, they added a line saying "winners outside of the US are awarded an equivalent Zen value", but they haven't done that in a longer time.

I still entered and would be amused if I won pig-2.gif

Germany's a state of the US isn't it? Between New Hampshire and Minnesota on the north coast.

You're eligible.​​
    22762792376_ac7c992b7c_o.png
    Norway and Yeager dammit... I still want my Typhoon and Jupiter though.
    JJ Trek The Kelvin Timeline is just Trek and it's fully canon... get over it. But I still prefer TAR.

#TASforSTO

'...I can tell you that we're not in the military and that we intend no harm to the whales.' Kirk: The Voyage Home
    'Starfleet is not a military organisation. Its purpose is exploration.' Picard: Peak Performance
    'This is clearly a military operation. Is that what we are now? Because I thought we were explorers!' Scotty: Into Darkness
    '...The Federation. Starfleet. We're not a military agency.' Scotty: Beyond
    'I'm not a soldier anymore. I'm an engineer.' Miles O'Brien: Empok Nor
    '...Starfleet could use you... It's a peacekeeping and humanitarian armada...' Admiral Pike: Star Trek

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    artan42 wrote: »

Germany's a state of the US isn't it? Between New Hampshire and Minnesota on the north coast.

You're eligible.​​
    Well says Wikipedia, there are several places in the US named Germany... :D
  • admrenlarreckadmrenlarreck Member Posts: 2,041 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    artan42 wrote: »

You're eligible.​​
    Well says Wikipedia, there are several places in the US named Germany... :D

Well Romulus is located in New York state. check google maps you will find it.
    fayhers_starfleet.jpg

Fleet leader Nova Elite

Fleet Leader House of Nova elite
    @ren_larreck
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    I agree with you, OP. Yes, international law, and complicated, and yada, yada, yada. Thing is, it's irrelevant. All that really means, is that you shouldn't be having these kinds of sweepstakes to begin with. The moment you think, "We're going to give away a cool Star Trek Online Special Edition ORIGIN PC Desktop," but then realize your entire player base can't compete, except residents of the USA, then the proper reaction should be "We're going to do something else; something everyone can participate in;" and not "We're going to do it anyway, because America First, and sucks to be you!"

I've often seen my argument 'countered' with something silly like "Oh, just because you can't have it, nobody should have it?!" Why, if you put it like that, it sure sounds petty; but why not turn it around, and ask yourself, 'Why would a company deliberately give the middle finger to everyone who is not American?' And no, not 'because of law,' but simply because of choice. They could be giving away ultra rare 23rd century TOS ships, gold-plated Ferengi Marauders, and what not. Something all their customers can participate in. Instead, they're choosing the 'America First' sweepstakes model. And that remains odd.

I don't even know what would be required to participate; and even if I could, I likely wouldn't even enter; and even if I entered, chances of me winning would be infinitesimal. Still, it does irritate me that they keep choosing this 'in-your-face' giveaway model.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    Years ago, they added a line saying "winners outside of the US are awarded an equivalent Zen value", but they haven't done that in a longer time.

^^ That would actually be a perfect solution! :)
    3lsZz0w.jpg
    coldnapalm wrote: »
    meimeitoo wrote: »
    Years ago, they added a line saying "winners outside of the US are awarded an equivalent Zen value", but they haven't done that in a longer time.

Actually...it's not. They probably stopped doing it because somebody made a fuss over their local laws about doing it this way.

Why?! Zen is just an ingame currency. Yes, it can be bought with RL cash; but also be converted from Dilithium.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • bluejaye1bluejaye1 Member Posts: 77 Arc User
    Meimeitoo is right, this is a choice.

We've had sweepstakes for years and while I accept that the sweepstake laws vary from country to country. The people running them have had years to come up with a viable solution and haven't. They seem to be sticking to the old USA only formula and not bothering to look at viable international solutions.

Yes, I know it's a big task to figure out and manage something that would be playable by everyone, but I come back to the point. They've had years to figure this out. Why haven't they?
    Star Trek Offline is currently online. We apologise for the convenience and are working to remedy the situation.
  • ajm1067ajm1067 Member Posts: 205 Arc User
    darakoss wrote: »
    This thread again......

After a quick search this will give you a idea why it is only domestic.

SNIP

Quick search, huh? Your search may have been quick, but collating all that sure wasn't was it...

I think darakoss missed the point, which someone else however hit right on the head.
    I agree with you, OP. Yes, international law, and complicated, and yada, yada, yada. Thing is, it's irrelevant. All that really means, is that you shouldn't be having these kinds of sweepstakes to begin with. The moment you think, "We're going to give away a cool Star Trek Online Special Edition ORIGIN PC Desktop," but then realize your entire player base can't compete, except residents of the USA, then the proper reaction should be "We're going to do something else; something everyone can participate in;" and not "We're going to do it anyway, because America First, and sucks to be you!"

If you can't make an offer like this available to the ENTIRE, INTERNATIONAL player base, don't offer it. Offer something you can.

Website
    Discord
    I absolutely, positively, will not create more characters in STO now that I have five six seven eight nine ten!
    McVittie/Saren/Arrgh Son of Jahn/Taev Dar/Professor Moriarty/Mia/Vittie/Vidtana'Clan/Suram/Sarela
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    ajm1067 wrote: »
    If you can't make an offer like this available to the ENTIRE, INTERNATIONAL player base, don't offer it. Offer something you can.
    Which as Darakoss pointed out would be... nothing.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg

Actually, he didn't. He just gave a long list of laws in different countries on what they do and don't allow as part of a competition - which is largely based on real money and paid entry.

Use your imagination and offer the entire player base some competition rewards, or offer nothing. Nothing would at least mean equality.
    Website
    Discord
    coldnapalm wrote: »

Actually...it's not. They probably stopped doing it because somebody made a fuss over their local laws about doing it this way.

I note the use of the word "probably". This means your entire response is based on a presumption without any evidence to support it.

So actually...it is.

Instead of assuming the reason, why not question why they don't do this anymore, to the clear detriment of the international player base?
    Website
    Discord
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited July 2018

Meh, some people having nice things that others don't is a pretty intrinsic to the practical realities of human existence. You won't always get the nice things, but circumstances tend to average and you may find yourself with a bit of shiny denied to others who don't share your geographic region. I can't promise that'll be through Cryptic (though if you're in the EU you should keep tabs on Nevandon), but I don't think it's a compelling argument at all to suggest that Cryptic can't do certain things for certain regions simply on the basis that the world hasn't adopted a unified legal framework, sufficient to make all contests and giveaways universally permissible. Making special accommodations for that is a big ask of a small studio.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Actually, he didn't. He just gave a long list of laws in different countries on what they do and don't allow as part of a competition - which is largely based on real money and paid entry.

Use your imagination and offer the entire player base some competition rewards, or offer nothing. Nothing would at least mean equality.
    Yeah.... what contest rules would actually work for all of them?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
This discussion has been closed.