test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[RISA] 2018 Risa Lohlunat Festival - Discussion

Comments

• nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Got two dance emotes, spending the rest of my time off Risa when I'm not going for the gimpy admiralty card. Yeah I know they're character locked but I don't care at this point. I'm not enjoying Risa. Can't stand the races all over the place and I'm getting bored waiting for events I do enjoy.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    nimbull wrote: »
    Got two dance emotes, spending the rest of my time off Risa when I'm not going for the gimpy admiralty card. Yeah I know they're character locked but I don't care at this point. I'm not enjoying Risa. Can't stand the races all over the place and I'm getting bored waiting for events I do enjoy.
    Same here, there are like 4 races, 2 scavenger hunts, 1 dance and 1 horg hunt per cycle, I avoid the races completely and it slows down my fun. I hate how my favorites are 1x only.

avoozuul wrote: »
    nimbull wrote: »
    Same here, there are like 4 races, 2 scavenger hunts, 1 dance and 1 horg hunt per cycle, I avoid the races completely and it slows down my fun. I hate how my favorites are 1x only.

I tried doing the races and it said I was in them but when I got to the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place markers I couldn't click on em or fly through and trigger them. I finally said the hell with racing since it doesn't seem to work.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,245 Community Moderator
    The Races (Making Waves, Risa Biathalon) are really the only events that need to be on an event timer, due to them having other participants.

The other events, however, are all solo missions, and players should be able to "queue" for them whenever they want:

Dance Party!: Should be a continuous event. There should always be people on the dance floor. Jump in and participate whenever you want. Have a 15-20 minute cooldown timer for earning Lohlunat Favors.

Horga'hn Hunt: Players should be able to queue for this whenever they want as well. They've always been racing against the clock, not each other. 20-30 minute cooldown timer for earning Lohlunat Favors.

Artifact Scavenger Hunt: Players can already queue for this whenever they want (Sun, Sand, and Scavenging), but I suspect that's mainly due to the Accolade associated with it. The bonus, though, is only available during this time. Eliminate the lesser payout and just put this event on 15-20 minute cooldown.

Castles in the Sand: Was already removed from the event rotation and is repeatable every 15 minutes. This is the way all of the non-race events should be done.

If Cryptic continues to add events to Risa, soon the rotation will become just as cumbersome as the Winter Event, which also needs an overhaul with event management, but that's another thread. Removing the Summer solo events from the timer rotation and simply placing them on individual cooldown timers, I believe, is the best way to handle it, and puts the power of event schedule management in the hands of the players to decide how best to utilize their time.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    trennan wrote: »
    I may end up tossing this down in to a bug report. But since this discussion is going, I'll toss it here first.

The scanner for Artifact Scavenger Hunt. This works, but not like it should. Right now, I've diagnosed that the directional indicator is set about 3.00 - 5.00 below the Y height of my character. This is a rough guessitmate on that. As to really see it, I have to get on my floater, go up about twenty feet and angle my camera down at the ground.
    Previous years the directional indicator has been on the ground regardless of your height. Have they changed this?
    warpangel wrote: »
    I may end up tossing this down in to a bug report. But since this discussion is going, I'll toss it here first.

The scanner for Artifact Scavenger Hunt. This works, but not like it should. Right now, I've diagnosed that the directional indicator is set about 3.00 - 5.00 below the Y height of my character. This is a rough guessitmate on that. As to really see it, I have to get on my floater, go up about twenty feet and angle my camera down at the ground.
    Previous years the directional indicator has been on the ground regardless of your height. Have they changed this?

It's been broken since last year, or the year before. I believe the year before when they had a spawn in problem that needed to be fixed. I've been telling others in game about this. Some have discovered it for themselves. I'm just trying to help out. I see to many complaining about the scanner and how long it takes to do artifact hunt. When, I'm generally done with it in less than 2 minutes.

So spread the word on this and let others know.
    The Races (Making Waves, Risa Biathalon) are really the only events that need to be on an event timer, due to them having other participants.

The other events, however, are all solo missions, and players should be able to "queue" for them whenever they want:

Dance Party!: Should be a continuous event. There should always be people on the dance floor. Jump in and participate whenever you want. Have a 15-20 minute cooldown timer for earning Lohlunat Favors.

Horga'hn Hunt: Players should be able to queue for this whenever they want as well. They've always been racing against the clock, not each other. 20-30 minute cooldown timer for earning Lohlunat Favors.

Artifact Scavenger Hunt: Players can already queue for this whenever they want (Sun, Sand, and Scavenging), but I suspect that's mainly due to the Accolade associated with it. The bonus, though, is only available during this time. Eliminate the lesser payout and just put this event on 15-20 minute cooldown.

Castles in the Sand: Was already removed from the event rotation and is repeatable every 15 minutes. This is the way all of the non-race events should be done.

If Cryptic continues to add events to Risa, soon the rotation will become just as cumbersome as the Winter Event, which also needs an overhaul with event management, but that's another thread. Removing the Summer solo events from the timer rotation and simply placing them on individual cooldown timers, I believe, is the best way to handle it, and puts the power of event schedule management in the hands of the players to decide how best to utilize their time.

I like the idea. But the the reason the Horga'hn Hunt and Dance are where they are in the rotation, is the pay out. Which these two are the only 100 favor pay outs. The races are next here, but it only maxes out at 75 for first place. The missing 25 are supplemented by the Tropical Tags. Horga'hn hunt, also has the chance to give Tropical Bird eggs.

Artifact hunt rewards 20 favors outside of the event, just like Flying High and Sand Castles. During the event it only rewards 50. The reason Artifact is doable outside of the event, is the accolades. Speaking as someone that has chased after this, those take forever. When I did this one my main, keeping a rotation on it, it took me two weeks to get all the artifacts.

So while I do like the idea of allowing one to queue for Dance Off and Horga'hn Hunt anytime one wants. It would also mean a serious reward reduction, down to 20 like any other one you can queue for outside of the event. Then, people would really on do Horga'hn hunt, due to the increased attempts at getting Tropical Bird Eggs. A 10 minute Dance Off for a 20 favor reward... Yeah... I just don't people bothering.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • imadude3imadude3 Member Posts: 825 Arc User
    i have the Romulan powerboard from last year, but i am curious about the new Impulsive boards, and was hoping someone could give me an idea of weather or not they are any good.
    reading the stats, it seems like they are faster, however turn (slide around i guess??) worse than the Elite boards. anyone have any input on this?
    Maintaining peace through overwhelming firepower.
    azrael605 wrote: »
    For the bea> @nimbull said:
    > avoozuul wrote: »
    >
    > nimbull wrote: »
    >
    > Got two dance emotes, spending the rest of my time off Risa when I'm not going for the gimpy admiralty card. Yeah I know they're character locked but I don't care at this point. I'm not enjoying Risa. Can't stand the races all over the place and I'm getting bored waiting for events I do enjoy.
    >
    >
    >
    > Same here, there are like 4 races, 2 scavenger hunts, 1 dance and 1 horg hunt per cycle, I avoid the races completely and it slows down my fun. I hate how my favorites are 1x only.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > I tried doing the races and it said I was in them but when I got to the 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place markers I couldn't click on em or fly through and trigger them. I finally said the hell with racing since it doesn't seem to work.

They work just fine.

If I told people it works just fine when they said they had a problem with their computer I'd be out of a job. I'm glad it's working fine for you. Me on the other hand it's not working.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    The only time I couldn't grab a flag was when I missed a gate. Going back to get it, I ran out of time to grab the last flag.

But that's been the only times I haven't been able to grab a flag when I'm racing.

Also, are you sure you weren't disqualified for some reason? Usually it's because going out of bounds. I've also accidentally activated my floater upon losing my board because I drifted onto one river bank or another and didn't get back onto the water quickly enough.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,245 Community Moderator
    edited July 2018

I like the idea. But the the reason the Horga'hn Hunt and Dance are where they are in the rotation, is the pay out. Which these two are the only 100 favor pay outs. The races are next here, but it only maxes out at 75 for first place. The missing 25 are supplemented by the Tropical Tags. Horga'hn hunt, also has the chance to give Tropical Bird eggs.

Artifact hunt rewards 20 favors outside of the event, just like Flying High and Sand Castles. During the event it only rewards 50. The reason Artifact is doable outside of the event, is the accolades. Speaking as someone that has chased after this, those take forever. When I did this one my main, keeping a rotation on it, it took me two weeks to get all the artifacts.

So while I do like the idea of allowing one to queue for Dance Off and Horga'hn Hunt anytime one wants. It would also mean a serious reward reduction, down to 20 like any other one you can queue for outside of the event. Then, people would really on do Horga'hn hunt, due to the increased attempts at getting Tropical Bird Eggs. A 10 minute Dance Off for a 20 favor reward... Yeah... I just don't people bothering.

Yes, but consider previous years when we didn't have as many events to "choose" from. Dance Party and Horga'hn Hunt were pretty much all there was and occured much more frequently and it didn't crash the economy. Their rewards were the same back then, so there would be no need to nerf rewards now. There are a lot more items to buy in the Summer Store now than then, the costs are still ridiculously high when compared to how many favors one can earn in an hour, and the opportunities to earn Lohlunat Favors have been reduced per hour due to the rotation of events.

Also consider that I did say that the self queuing activities would still have a cooldown. There would still be a waiting period before players could participate again, it would just be that the player decides when that timer starts, not the game. So one wouldn't be able to just do back to back Dance Party events and keep racking up Lohlunat Favors. But one could set themselves up with a Dance Party, Horga'hn Hunt, Artifact Scavenger Hunt rotation, and throw in the occasional race or sand castle building, if they so choose.

The point is, the player decides. Not everyone wants to race. Not everyone wants to dance. Not everyone wants to hunt. But as it is now, all are made to wait on the others to participate in the events that they want to participate in at an arbitrary time chosen by the game. I say, put the power of choice back in the hands of the player.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Another way to 'fix' the schedule would be to stop doubling-up on the 'new' events. Sure, the year an event comes out, they've doubled up on it because it's the 'new thing'. But now that they're old, they could go back to one per cycle.

(disclaimer: if I'm remembering the schedule right. /crosses fingers)
    So that would be:
    Artifacts - 15m
    Dance - 15m
    Hunt - 15m
    Race - 7.5m
    Biathlon - 7.5m

Total 1h

It's the extra Artifacts/Race/Biathlon that add another 30m.

(I think the Hunt & Dance were lower payout the first couple years, when they were twice an hour. But I could be remembering wrong, it has been awhile. :) )

...and Horgahn Hunt for 20? Nah, I'd probably just stop going to Risa. The hunt is the only event I do any more, because I can jam 5 alts through it in 15m and get a pile of favors.

Yes, but consider previous years when we didn't have as many events to "choose" from. Dance Party and Horga'hn Hunt were pretty much all there was and occured much more frequently and it didn't crash the economy. Their rewards were the same back then, so there would be no need to nerf rewards now. There are a lot more items to buy in the Summer Store now than then, the costs are still ridiculously high when compared to how many favors one can earn in an hour, and the opportunities to earn Lohlunat Favors have been reduced per hour due to the rotation of events.

Also consider that I did say that the self queuing activities would still have a cooldown. There would still be a waiting period before players could participate again, it would just be that the player decides when that timer starts, not the game. So one wouldn't be able to just do back to back Dance Party events and keep racking up Lohlunat Favors. But one could set themselves up with a Dance Party, Horga'hn Hunt, Artifact Scavenger Hunt rotation, and throw in the occasional race or sand castle building, if they so choose.

The point is, the player decides. Not everyone wants to race. Not everyone wants to dance. Not everyone wants to hunt. But as it is now, all are made to wait on the others to participate in the events that they want to participate in at an arbitrary time chosen by the game. I say, put the power of choice back in the hands of the player.

True, I was just pointing out as to why the setup was as it is. I think the main reason is, if it was do it at your leisure, even with the cooldowns. Then it would just turn in to people doing horg'hn and dance for the highest payouts, everything else for accolades. Maybe the occasional board race for Tropical Tags, to get what they wanted from the Event store, and then just show up to do the daily for the ship. So it would turn the event in to a 1-2 week favor power farm, and then nothing.

Not a bad thing really. I just think, that's what they're trying to prevent with the time gating as it is.

Also, speaking of the Tropical Tags, can we get these made account bound? My main has like 800 of them, and you can only use 1 per day for the Raise a Monkey doff assignment.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    Having the dance up all the time would make it a humongous bot magnet. Cooldowns are meaningless, they can just switch toons. There are enough free character slots to have it running 24/7 on a bot account, even if it had an hour's cooldown.

The other events could be made to work all the time, but would require careful balancing of their payout over time so it doesn't become yet another case of the queues, where everyone grinds the same one thing because it pays the most. Or, heaven forbid, different rewards for different activities.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    These new faster, impulsive floater things are CRA-CRA!!!!

I have absolutely no control. I am too embarrassed to do Flying High with it....
    I totally MISS every curve, every elevation change, and I can't stop!!!
    They fly UP too fast and fall DOWN too fast.

It's very funny!!! LOL! Frtoaster says, "Practice."
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    The dance payout back when it was twice an hour was still the same as it is today. None of the payouts have changed, just the rotation to allow for the extra biathlon and artifact hunt.

And one needs six tags for monkey project, not one. But 800....yeah, would be nice to have them acct-bound.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Heh. Yeah, I must have done a lot of racing the first year or two, because my main has been slowly working her way through a huge stack of the tags ever since. It's down below 100 this year, finally..... :#
    OMG... I swear I saw the Klingons doing Mok'bara on the arch every time I went to Risa.....BEFORE this Summer Event started. Where the hell did they go???????

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    where2r1 wrote: »
    OMG... I swear I saw the Klingons doing Mok'bara on the arch every time I went to Risa.....BEFORE this Summer Event started. Where the hell did they go???????

They're still there, I caught them this morning, actually on a new toon. They're just hard to catch sometimes.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    Flying High now every 15 mins? thought it was once in 20 hours?
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    They show up every two hours on a half hour for a few minutes. I don't remember if was an odd or even hour.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    Ah, I've also been looking for the dancing klingons. I remember them being on the one arch. That seems to be the last thing I need to get the Master Relaxer accolade.

On the note of accolades, it seems you just need to do just one of Pavyl's quests to get the Seeker thing, as least as far as the Master Relaxer accolade goes?
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
    edited July 2018
    Yes, the Klingons are on the first arch. Not sure about Pavyl, but you can do all of his seeker quests back to back, so it doesn't take long at all.

Also, I'm getting lots of lag, rubberbanding and SNRs today. Barely got through all the Flying Highs I do for my family.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • majorhalcyonmajorhalcyon Member Posts: 199 Arc User
    wylonus wrote: »

You've always been able to do 'Flying High' on the 15 min cooldown for the Favors...it's just the voucher reward is locked to 20 hours
    edited July 2018
    My Party Popper balloons are sinking under the water on Risa this year. :(
    What the heck is happening with that???

And I am not getting the ship shaped balloons, either. WAHHHHH! They broke my balloons!!!!!!!!!

They must be lead balloons..
    Now a LTS and loving it.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    wylonus wrote: »

You've always been able to do 'Flying High' on the 15 min cooldown for the Favors...it's just the voucher reward is locked to 20 hours
    No, you haven't. That was introduced in 2016. It was 20h before.
    edited July 2018
    I am copying this here:
    All of my characters have finished the Master Relaxer accolade. Not sure I want to spend any more time on this.

Here is what I found:

FIREWORKS= starts on the hour, in the harbor. Characters can be on the dock, the dance floor, on a floater...but have to be in the harbor area.

Pacific, Central Time Zones (USA) = Odd # Hours from minutes :01 until minutes 23.
    GMT or Mountain, Eastern Time Zones (USA) = Even # Hours from minutes :01 until minutes 23.

MOK'BARA = starts 30 mins after the hour, on the arch closest to the Promenade.

Pacific, Central Time Zones (USA) = Odd # Hours from minutes 30 to minutes 50
    GMT, Mountain, Eastern Time Zones (USA) = Even # Hours from minutes 30 to minutes 50

KLINGON/TRILL ARGUING = starts at 43 mins after the hour, on the docks by the Floater Vendor, and Flying High NPC.

Pacific, Central Time Zones (USA) = Odd # Hours starts at minutes 43 and skit ends at minutes 46.
    GMT, Mountain, Eastern Time Zones (USA) = Even # Hours at minutes 43 and skit ends at minutes 46.

To be safe: make sure you catch the first run of skit at 43 mins after the hour....because I can not verify if it repeats more than once.

If you need more help check this thread....
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1242090/risa-2018-accolades-mokbara-fireworks-argument

GRRRRrrrr....I am going to put my poor character out in orbit without a star ship, bouncing off of those "bumper rocks" in the middle of the Powerboard Races.

I know: Practice.

Yeah, those rocks move! They're alive! *Chuckle* That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    edited July 2018
    where2r1 wrote: »
    GRRRRrrrr....I am going to put my poor character out in orbit without a star ship, bouncing off of those "bumper rocks" in the middle of the Powerboard Races.

I know: Practice.

That's normal. Just like in the back stretch of the powerboard race. You know, the last three jumps. I tend to hit the first and land after the second. Good thing there's a ceiling for the Risa. Or my char's would need to wear an EV suit to comepsate for the suborbital jumps.

Edit: Forum langolears, begone!
    Post edited by trennan on
    Mm5NeXy.gif
This discussion has been closed.