test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

The Hur'q and Tribbles (SPOILERS)

Wonder if tribbles originate from the Hur'q homeworld. they seem genetically engineered prior to the fall of the Hur'q to feed a ravenous population and metabolize food in such a way as their offspring have dramatically different attributes to their parents, which could be a method of having a varied nutrient diet for such a predatory species.

The Hur'q would easily keep their pop in check, and they would have easily spread tribbles to the beta quadrant during their occupation of the Klingon homeworld. Further the Klingon hatered of tribbles could be a race memory of their association with the hur'q. This is similar to how humans produce livestock in mass quantities but Tribbles take on the characteristics of livestock engineered by an advanced species.

The huge cave networks of Qo'nos could have easily been used to produce massive quantities of Ketracel while the surface could easily be a tribble farm. The Klingons could have hated the tribbles because the Klingons starved while the Hur'q fed the tribbles. The Klingons may not like to talk about why they hate tribbles other than 'they eat everything' because of the embarrassment of having had tribbles in a higher social order (the Hur'q would have valued tribbles and the ketracel more than the Klingons which they probably mostly didn't care about).

They left Qo'nos and took all evidence of them with them, all traces- possibly to avoid being detected during their sleep and this included the sword of Kahless since it was made from a Hur'q carapace.

Comments

• mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    It's not even wrong.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    reyan01 wrote: »
    Although Iota Geminorium IV was identified as their homeworld.

You could always write in that this assessment was incorrect. We weren't provided with the exact evidence that [presumed] Federation researchers used to determine whether A. Geminorium IV was the tribble homeworld (ie. that they are definitely native parts of the local ecology) and B. that Greminorium wasn't settled by life from the Gamma Quadrant (the Hur'Q come, stray bits of their ecology begin to occupy open habitat...)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • sirimandasirimanda Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    Also the Iotia Geminorium thing is sourced from a TOS short story, not Star Trek Online. It is not relevant. It was written in 1998 also so...
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    sirimanda wrote: »
    Also the Iotia Geminorium thing is sourced from a TOS short story, not Star Trek Online. It is not relevant. It was written in 1998 also so...

Iotia Geminorium IV via memory alpha.
    http://memory-alpha.wikia.com/wiki/Iota_Geminorium_IV

It looks like it might have established as the tribble homeworld during the production of DS9 (on screen diagram.) It may have also been directly referenced in Enterprise (the wiki author doesn't use a proper citation format to illustrate what facts are from which sources.)

So, according to existing canon (or at least the most authoritative reference material available), this is the tribble homeworld. Hence, reappraisal of facts with new data rather than just tossing out information that's inconvenient to a desired plot point. Cryptic can work around to this if they choose, no worries.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • sirimandasirimanda Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    You are correct. And yes it is easy to work around.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    Amd here, all my characters that have tribbles, are only for the tribble carcass farm. Other than the one from Risa, that buffs speed while on Risa, I never use them.

Granted, I also don't own any pets, and my inventory thanks me for it. Ok, I do, the ones you get from like getting a shuttle. The TO'duj fighter for example. But, they land in my overflow bag and stay there.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User

You could always write in that this assessment was incorrect. We weren't provided with the exact evidence that [presumed] Federation researchers used to determine whether A. Geminorium IV was the tribble homeworld (ie. that they are definitely native parts of the local ecology) and B. that Greminorium wasn't settled by life from the Gamma Quadrant (the Hur'Q come, stray bits of their ecology begin to occupy open habitat...)
    Interstellar ecological contamination is totally a thing in Star trek.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User

Interstellar ecological contamination is totally a thing in Star trek.

and tribbles likely are prone to getting everywhere so it'd be very easy for them to get aboard a shuttle craft and spread to another world.... ya know now that I think of it the tribble could be used as the PERFECT representive of invasive species.
  • velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    Star Trek Online
    Season 16
    Tribbles at War
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited July 2018
    The KLingons don't like Tribbles, but the feeling seems mutual. Tribbles react hostile to Klingons, even when the Klingons shows no direct sign of interaction. That suggests it is not some cultural thing, but something on a more biological basis. Maybe the Klingons smell like one of the predators on the Tribble homeworld?

If Klingons are more related to Targ instead of the monkey equivalent of Q'onos, maybe some kind of pig/boar like species was the original Tribble predator. (I kinda imagine something like a truffles pig smelling a delicious Tribble that is hiding somewhere in the bushes.)

The Klingons simply might not like Tribbles because they never act "cute" towards them, and otherwise are just a pest.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.