test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Looking far far into the future of Star Trek Online

I'm just curious if other people have interesting ideas about where STO could go looking far into the future. I'm talking about the future, long after Victory is Life. The direction, what parts of Star Trek should be looked into for the future.

Myself, I've always felt as if there hasn't been enough Data, neither any movie or TV about Data officially since the the movie ST:Nemesis, even though apparently in books Data is currently alive in the Star Trek timeline. According to some books, Data's duplicate found in Nemesis had Data's memories copied onto him, and one day awoke as Data.

Given that STO takes place thirty years after Voyager, I've always thought it might be interesting to see what Data has been doing since, perhaps building a fleet of androids for the Federation? Perhaps to explore beyond?

Anyways, it's an idea. Anyone else?

Comments

• smokebaileysmokebailey Member Posts: 4,661 Arc User
    I'd like to see that android from the Kelvin stuff, actually. Wanna know where he came from and all that.
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
  • zateron#9297 zateron Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    valoreah wrote: »
    No more Data please. He's been done to death (literally) on TV, film, books etc.

I believe that would be a very unpopular opinion with most Star Trek fans.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    No more Data please. He's been done to death (literally) on TV, film, books etc.

I'd like to see Data. Of all the crew he's the only one that SHOULD still be running around 60+yrs later!
  • alainlejugealainlejuge Member Posts: 1 New User
    I'd like to see Shuttlebays/Hangars added to the insides of starships.

Also if they just updated the inside of the ships period. I mean I know it would be too much to ask to navigate your ship from the inside but it would nice to have a little more functionality and immersion :tongue: (they're just so darn big on the inside...)

I'd like to see Data. Of all the crew he's the only one that SHOULD still be running around 60+yrs later!

Yes, I would hope that the "powers that be" see the potential landscape of fertile ground storywise. Data could be the prototype from what would later become the Federation's look beyond our Milky Way with newer advanced android fleets. Advanced android bodies with built in super strength, high jumps, built in expanded technology based on as seen in TNG. New traits, new abilities while securing Data's role with the future of Starfleet.
    It wouldn't just be about Data, but also where Star Trek goes into the future. In ST:TOS episodes like By Any Other Name, ST hints to other galaxies such as Andromeda being completely different forms of reality. Again, this is all fertile ground with lots of room for creativity pointing in the direction that Star Trek always seemed to be pointing to anyway. It could be a way to look to the future while being consistent with the story, Data, and not changing too much.

I'm just an idea man and a loyal Star Trek fan. If anyone else has better ideas, you're more than welcome to share. I'm curious.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    In ST:TOS episodes like By Any Other Name, ST hints to other galaxies such as Andromeda being completely different forms of reality.

Uh... wut? Galaxies being different forms of reality? That honestly makes no sense. So basically... the laws of reality as we know them in the Milky Way Galaxy only apply to the Milky Way Galaxy? If we go to Andromeda, do we have to develop a brand new FTL technology to get around because subspace doesn't exist in Andromeda at all, thus preventing Warp Drive from functioning?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    azrael605 wrote: »
    The Enterprise computer, under the influence of alien tech, grew the android body, after the alien intelligence sacrificed itself to save the ship Spock programmed the body with a new intelligence. This is his official origin as told in the IDW Star Trek story I, Enterprise.

So... he is Enterprise?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • tom61stotom61sto Member Posts: 3,636 Arc User
    Myself, I've always felt as if there hasn't been enough Data, neither any movie or TV about Data officially since the the movie ST:Nemesis, even though apparently in books Data is currently alive in the Star Trek timeline. According to some books, Data's duplicate found in Nemesis had Data's memories copied onto him, and one day awoke as Data.

This is canonical to STO, and Data is specifically mentioned as having been the captain of the Enterprise E in game, prior to whatever happened to the E anyway. It looked like Cryptic were hinting that they were looking to sign Brent Spiner, or otherwise bring back Data, as at the end of the Iconian arc there's a cut scene with Sela, where a person you can't see puts down a hologram of Tasha Yar (like the one Data had as a keepsake), and Sela asks that person to tell her about her mother. However, nothing seems to have come from that...
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    tom61sto wrote: »
    It looked like Cryptic were hinting that they were looking to sign Brent Spiner, or otherwise bring back Data, as at the end of the Iconian arc there's a cut scene with Sela, where a person you can't see puts down a hologram of Tasha Yar (like the one Data had as a keepsake), and Sela asks that person to tell her about her mother. However, nothing seems to have come from that...

I have it on the authority of internet chatter that Spiner isn't interested in reprising the role of data. Considering how long its been since Survivors, I think the subtle cameo at the end of that mission should be taken as "the maximum extent Cryptic can take the character of Data in STO without either the actor's voice or likeness permissions" (similar to Kirk in the reprise of Journey to Babel in AOY) rather than foreshadowing.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,101 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Terran Empire Faction - Infiltrate the Fed/KDF :)

- More Mirror Leeta!
    - I.S.S. Prefix
    - Terran markings!
    - Mirror Typhoon please!
    - more mirror stuff!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Yeah guys Jeremy talked about this in a previous ten foward weekly,they contacted brent spiner and he was willing to do voices on sto but NOT do data’s role, he wanted to do something new and was not willing to do data’s role at all(even when cryptic offered to listen to Brents new role ideas)so jeremy said never say never but that it is very very unlikely that brent spiner is going to return as Data.
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    If thats the case I can respect it, he's proably just tired of the role. I imagine to get him to reprise the role it'd have to be something he finds exciting and it's likely nothing in STO would excite him that way. and SHOULDN'T. the old cast are at best guest stars after all
  • usskentuckyusskentucky Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    I liked David Mack’s trilogy of Star Trek novels. Has Enterprise era crew. A Borg origin story. An omnipotent Alien race. And some great character development for Ezri Dax. I think they should take some ideas from there.
    I'd like to see that android from the Kelvin stuff, actually. Wanna know where he came from and all that.

Most likely from a pair of toasters that tried to wear out each others warranty in the back of the discount store.

Hmmmm.....
    dvZq2Aj.jpg

Most likely from a pair of toasters that tried to wear out each others warranty in the back of the discount store.

Hmmmm.....
    dvZq2Aj.jpg
    Spiner isn't interested in reprising the role of data.

That's truly a shame. I mean I understood Brent Spiner not wanting to dress as Data for Enterprise since he has aged quite noticeably, but in the gaming world aging doesn't matter at all.
    I've always considered Star Trek's vision of reaching beyond needing androids (a such as Data and others) to do so, and the borg being an example of going too far to abandon human qualities.

rattler2 wrote: »
    In ST:TOS episodes like By Any Other Name, ST hints to other galaxies such as Andromeda being completely different forms of reality.

Uh... wut? Galaxies being different forms of reality? That honestly makes no sense. So basically... the laws of reality as we know them in the Milky Way Galaxy only apply to the Milky Way Galaxy? If we go to Andromeda, do we have to develop a brand new FTL technology to get around because subspace doesn't exist in Andromeda at all, thus preventing Warp Drive from functioning?

Lots of stories in TOS were open ended, and more experimental. Many stories were left open. Specifically in the episode "By Any Other Name" aliens from the Andromeda inhabited human bodies to be in our galaxy holding the Enterprise hostage, but the leader mentions desperately wanting to go back to their world (with thousands of tentacles) in their comfortable walls, and controlled environment. Mainly it was a plot driven device to demonstrate that they lived completely different from us detached from their senses. It makes sense, but like many stories of that era you sort of have to use your own imagination to fill in the gaps. It wasn't the greatest Star Trek episode, but it was one of the funniest in which the characters are at their most well known character traits, like Scotty trying to out drink an alien.

• captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    Spiner isn't interested in reprising the role of data.

That's truly a shame. I mean I understood Brent Spiner not wanting to dress as Data for Enterprise since he has aged quite noticeably, but in the gaming world aging doesn't matter at all.
    I've always considered Star Trek's vision of reaching beyond needing androids (a such as Data and others) to do so, and the borg being an example of going too far to abandon human qualities.

Lots of stories in TOS were open ended, and more experimental. Many stories were left open. Specifically in the episode "By Any Other Name" aliens from the Andromeda inhabited human bodies to be in our galaxy holding the Enterprise hostage, but the leader mentions desperately wanting to go back to their world (with thousands of tentacles) in their comfortable walls, and controlled environment. Mainly it was a plot driven device to demonstrate that they lived completely different from us detached from their senses. It makes sense, but like many stories of that era you sort of have to use your own imagination to fill in the gaps. It wasn't the greatest Star Trek episode, but it was one of the funniest in which the characters are at their most well known character traits, like Scotty trying to out drink an alien.

Really most if not all TOS episodes where open ended, ditto TNG with a few notable exceptions, it was only in DS9 where the concept of serialization really took off.
    edited June 2018
    Why presume age has anything to do with this? As an actor, Brent Spiner doesn't want to reprise a role which he's evidently been trying to branch out from (even within Star Trek, see his cameo in Enterprise). It doesn't interest him.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    > @duncanidaho11 said:
    > Why presume age has anything to do with this?

Because one of the reasons he gave for wanting Data killed off in Nemesis was because he didn't think he could convincingly continue to play a non-aging character.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
    edited June 2018
    starswordc wrote: »
    Because one of the reasons he gave for wanting Data killed off in Nemesis was because he didn't think he could convincingly continue to play a non-aging character.

Which is moot in the context of STO. Maybe he's worried about his voice but I think the thing to highlight there is "one of the reasons." He's admitted to some fatigue with doing more Star Trek (Data being the obvious focual point to that) even while exploring the possibility of a cameo for Discovery (San Diego comic con 2016 interview.)
  • bubblegirl2015bubblegirl2015 Member Posts: 830 Arc User
    IMO...I do hope they go back to the BORG episodes and make a redo. Why go back to the past with Iconians, Hurq or temporal wars is beyond me. The future IMO is the BORG since it does represent an evolution to what current civilizations have at that timeline.​​
    Wiki editor http://sto.gamepedia.com
    Original STO beta tester.
  • madmoparmadmopar Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    I'd like to head to the mirror universe. I seen pictures of the mirror next generation characters in a comic and they look interesting. Data has a cannon arm and other bits, Geordi looks badass and Picard is roided out.
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User

Hey, go too far beyond the Galactic Barrier, and it just gets weird. :smile: The idea that there's no subspace in the region of the Andromeda Galaxy is a very Star Trek thing to find out. Iconians! Maybe something akin to "Force of Nature" in TNG. Maybe backlash from the Solanagen-based species hanging around Andromeda. Omega particles? The possibilities are endless! And there we'd be, with nothing more than impulse drive and a dozen or so replicated canoe paddles....
    boldly-watched.png