test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lifetime subscription?

Hi Community!

Asking for a little help here.
I'm thinking about taking a lifetime subscription..
Only math that I need to do is, how long can I expect this game to last?
I don't mean playtime for myself, but more, how long until the game reaches 'dead' status or is closed down by Arc?

Any intel?

Cheers,

Walt

Comments

• Options
    iamynaughtiamynaught Member Posts: 1,285 Arc User
    Well, STO is one of Perfect World's more profitable games so I don't see them closing it anytime soon. Cryptic also seems to have a lot of support from CBS and I don't see CBS pulling a fast one and saying they want the game closed either. I'd guess at the very least the game is good for at least another couple of years.

Of course, things can change at the drop of a hat, so take that into account as well.
    Hello. My name is iamynaught and I am an altaholic.

Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.
  • Options
    madmoparmadmopar Member Posts: 234 Arc User
    I think you are safe for another 7 years. Games usually sit in maintenance mode for 2 years before shutdown and it takes a couple years to reach maintenance mode. Considering they are still churning out content we are still good for awhile. So I would expect AT LEAST 7 more years.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I don't see it closing anytime soon either. I love it and a lot of others love it as well. Is it perfect? No, and it likely never will be, but it's close enough for me.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    drwaltdrwalt Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Considering the quick and frank responses by obviously dedicated fans, I have decided to take the lifetime offer.

Thanks guys!
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    I wonder.......
    Has EA ever shown interest in cyrptic or PW?
    full.png

DEAR GOD NO!

Besides... EA's already in hot water with Disney regarding Star Wars. I seriously doubt CBS would even let them come within a MILE of anything Star Trek.
    drwalt wrote: »
    Considering the quick and frank responses by obviously dedicated fans, I have decided to take the lifetime offer.

Thanks guys!

Hope you enjoy it. Maybe one of these days the LTS members should try and organize an in game meet up at the Captain's Table. That hub is rather... neglected since it doesn't offer anything ESD/First City/New Romulus Command doesn't.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    I agree with the rest, I don't think STO will be shutting its doors anytime soon.

I don't think STO is as good as it used to be with its focus on the proliferation of all the gambling, but with fresh eyes I'm sure STO has great appeal.

If you're comfortable tossing $200 away & you feel/know you'll play STO off & on for the next couple of years it is a safe bet you'll get your money's worth out of it.
  • Options
    echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    That sounds like a good idea, rattler
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    nommo#5819 wrote: »
    I don't think STO is as good as it used to be with its focus on the proliferation of all the gambling, but with fresh eyes I'm sure STO has great appeal.

Gotta make due with any way to keep the lights on when you go F2P. And honestly STO's model is one of the most generous on the market.
    echatty wrote: »
    That sounds like a good idea, rattler

Thanks. And who knows... maybe with help from us lifers coming up with ideas, Cryptic can revamp the Captian's Table to be better. But... that is a topic for another thread.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    DEAR GOD NO!

Besides... EA's already in hot water with Disney regarding Star Wars. I seriously doubt CBS would even let them come within a MILE of anything Star Trek.

Well... the good news for EA is that Lucasfilm damaged the Star Wars franchise more than EA ever could by shifting away from long time established Star Wars fans to appeal to the SJW (Social Justice Warriors) crowd.

The problem with SJWs from a business point of view is that they are not the type of audience that are going to pay to see a Star Wars movie multiple times in the theater. They also do not really buy Star Wars toys either... okay maybe one, but not more than that most likely. Unlike hardcore Star Wars toy collectors who are more likely to buy at least two copies of a toy; one to play and display and another to keep in the original packaging until the end of time.
  • Options
    avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Not to mention that Lucasarts pretty much canceled the sequels to quite a few of their Star Wars game franchises such as Kotor 3 and Battlefront 3 for a few examples. The Force Unleashed games were pretty much the last ones they did and they weren't so good particularly at the second game after how criminally short they made it and keeping the DLC to the console versions only. Their last game was going to be Star Wars 1313 which actually interested me but then Disney bought them out and they canceled the games development.
    Post edited by avoozuul on
  • Options
    jordan3550jordan3550 Member Posts: 328 Arc User
    > @drwalt said:
    > Hi Community!
    >
    > Asking for a little help here.
    > I'm thinking about taking a lifetime subscription..
    > Only math that I need to do is, how long can I expect this game to last?
    > I don't mean playtime for myself, but more, how long until the game reaches 'dead' status or is closed down by Arc?
    >
    > Any intel?
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > Walt

I too had my say concerns of paying out money in one go after a read the small print but I’ve been playing since about 2011 and now I totally regret not getting the lts I stuck to the monthly as I thought well if there’s no guarantees then at least I know I’m paying month to month. 7 years on and it’s still going I am truly kicking my self. I’ve still no unlocked the vet ship I’m about 80 days away from reaching a 1000 days subscribed