test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Uniform categories.

nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
A while ago I posted a thread about uniform categories:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline#/discussion/1226002/uniform-categories

Today I'm posting this over a year later asking about that and also expressing frustration over how hard it is to put together decent outfits. There are a lot of unique pieces that I'd like to mix and match and build different outfits. So much so that I'd hit up the online store for more outfit slots if it weren't for the fact that some of choices were limited by categories.

I really wish categories didn't exist for outfit options. Those restrictions are really killing my ability to put together different outfits for my characters. More so its very discouraging trying to work around those restrictions sometimes as with the scarf problem I had back in 2016 which I'm guessing today is still an issue since nothing has really changed with categories? I know I've had other problems with different shirts, pants, etc being in different categories all together and unreachable as a something to put in one outfit.

I really wish they'd drop all the category restrictions and put everything in one basket like Champions. It would make messing around with outfits more enjoyable and I'd put more time in to the game playing around with different things while actually putting more effort in to collecting more outfits.
Green people don't have to be.... little.

Comments

• lordsteve1lordsteve1 Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    +100000 to this.

PLEASE!! Cryptic can you just get rid of the silly tailor restrictions like off duty stuff and boffs not able to wear certain things.

Just do the following:
    1. Open up all items of costume we own to one category (no off duty stuff now)
    2. Allow us to mix n' match all different items, including the parts of old rep armours.
    3. Add in EV suits as a costume part.
    4. Give us a single standardized colour palette for all items.
    5. Let our boffs wear any thing we can wear as a captain.
    6. Edit: remove sex-specific restrictions to allow people with toons of different orientations to make a look they want.
    Post edited by lordsteve1 on
    SulMatuul.png
  • jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User
    May I third this notion?

And yes, I also would like the ability to mix and match components as I see fit, as well as a standardized colour pallete. If I had a dil rock for all the times I wanted specific shades of a colour, only to run into the brick wall of the tailor's limitations, or wished to put something like, say, aloha shirts on my entire crew ... it would be a most glorious day for space barbie, to be sure!
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • gryphonsatyr42gryphonsatyr42 Member Posts: 51 Arc User
    All of this, yes.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    +1 to less restrictions, please.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Take my signed vote. Hell yes.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    As long as it means EVERY outfit, I'd gladly take it.

Between Orion bikinis, the glowy metallic tight shirt and pants options, tuxedos, and the insane amount of other random stuff you can mush together (Like mirror universe half-naked outfits), I don't see any reason why swimsuits, clubwear, and all the other randomly segregated outfits can't also be worn freely.

Edit: I almost forgot the fact that Cardassians can go shirtless whenever and wherever they want.
  • dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    So long as they restore the Jem'Hadar to wear ANY uniform they want so long as it's within the same faction they sided with.
  • snowwolf#0563 snowwolf Member Posts: 1,018 Arc User
    No thanks, I'd rather not have players run around in a bikini everywhere...
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User

Meanwhile, with the half-naked Cardassians and Orions...
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    Well, if they put a swimming pool somewhere on the social zones we'd have a reason to strut around in a bikini everywhere ;)
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Players can already run around in a bikini everywhere. Well, the female ones anyway.
  • r0m#7631 r0m Member Posts: 134 Arc User

I also have the feeling it would become a zoo quite fast...

Both the Federation and the Empire have dress codes that needs to be followed by every officer, you guys are no exception.

Now, dismissed!
  • dragnridrdragnridr Member Posts: 671 Arc User
    r0m#7631 wrote: »

Both the Federation and the Empire have dress codes that needs to be followed by every officer, you guys are no exception.

Now, dismissed!

Oh, you mean the dress codes that went out the window when the game launched? Those dress codes?
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited June 2018

Players are already doing that. New players don't have access to it out of the gate unless they role an Orion.

Now, dismissed!

That ship sailed long ago. Also the money made from more player customization options with uniforms is a good thing for the game over all.
  • jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    Customizing ou captain is one of the games main features so not going further is basically an insult.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    You mean going backwards.
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User

Now, dismissed!

I'm guessing you mean the Romulan Star Empire here. Since KDF has the Orions and their racial outfit. Plus the Bare chest armor and cutout variant. Add to this shorts and a loincloth.

The tailor restrictions are just annoying. I know they want to keep the unique looks of certain things, like the MACO, or Honor guard armor.

But for someone like me. I tend to make customized races, and the restrictions, even on the model generator are annoying. as I can't actually make the entire thing look like I want. Even foundry authors a hit by these. Thus, why aliens generated that way, still tend to look like everyone else.

I don't mind some restrictions here.

For Example:
    Uniform
    Armor
    Beachwear
    Offduty

Every thing we have can be summed up in those four categories. And then everything for in those four categories can be mix and match.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • bernatkbernatk Member Posts: 1,089 Bug Hunter
    +1

also, anyone knows if there are some pretty, high heels boots or shoes out there? The sf academy boots are almost ok but I don't like its very basic texture.
    Tck7dQ2.jpg
    Dahar Master Mary Sue                                               Fleet Admiral Bloody Mary
  • trennantrennan Member Posts: 2,839 Arc User
    bernatk wrote: »
    +1

also, anyone knows if there are some pretty, high heels boots or shoes out there? The sf academy boots are almost ok but I don't like its very basic texture.

Diplomat

Formal Heels

Seven of Nine Boots & Shoes

That's about it for heels.
    Mm5NeXy.gif
  • drpepper82192drpepper82192 Member Posts: 9 Arc User

Now, dismissed!

You’re absolutely right.

Now excuse me, I’m going to go change into my entirely hot pink starfleet uniform.
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    Categories should be removed and any non-specific piece of clothing made available to every species in every faction.

However, race-restricted uniforms should remain as such. This adds inherent value to these races, a reason to roll them over a mimic alien.

Any and all outfits not falling under the above caveat should be freely mix'n'matchable.
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    Some of the racial restriction stuff, could be opened slightly. Orion costume parts, Nausicaan costume parts, Ferasan body parts, or Gorn body parts for example, maybe open to KDF Alien characters. Possibly allow the Nausicaan armor parts to the other KDF races as well. Caitian bits, open to Starfleet Alien characters.

Giving everyone a fully unlocked tailor across all factions? My vote would be a HELL NO for that. It's bad enough that Federation players got to carpetbag ship stuff that made the KDF unique.

I am all for being allowed to kitbash reputation outfits to uniforms, and allowing clubwear to likewise be kitbashed for uniforms and armor, however. Or the formal and robes outfits.
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    I'm primarily interested in clothing not body parts. Faction specific stuff like standard uniforms could stay in the faction. So all the existing options you have now for a given race/faction all in one category instead of multiple restricted ones. No extra's like tails and claws that weren't there before.
  • lordhavelocklordhavelock Member Posts: 2,248 Arc User
    Add another vote to the stack. I'm 100% for unlocking all costume parts in the Tailor.

You can find/contact me in game as @PatricianVetinari. Playing STO since Feb 2010.
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Costumes are confusing.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    ichaerus1 wrote: »
    Some of the racial restriction stuff, could be opened slightly. Orion costume parts, Nausicaan costume parts, Ferasan body parts, or Gorn body parts for example, maybe open to KDF Alien characters. Possibly allow the Nausicaan armor parts to the other KDF races as well. Caitian bits, open to Starfleet Alien characters.

I'm very much in favor of this. The KDF by default has less to work with and yet they have a large reservoir of costume parts spread across their species. These aren't premium options (such that opening them up could remove incentives for paid content) and the standard FED options demonstrate that exclusive clothing options aren't necessary to create compelling playable species (body, traits, and background are enough). Plus it would fit the narrative of an empire that through conquest and politics is becoming more integrative (foreshadowing their eventual partnership with the Alliance.)

It just seems like a simple mechanical solution (compared to: build lots of new free uniforms for the KDF) to a long standing deficiency, with interesting world building implications as well that fit the overall arc of STO.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    lordsteve1 wrote: »
    +100000 to this.

PLEASE!! Cryptic can you just get rid of the silly tailor restrictions like off duty stuff and boffs not able to wear certain things.

Just do the following:
    1. Open up all items of costume we own to one category (no off duty stuff now)
    2. Allow us to mix n' match all different items, including the parts of old rep armours.
    3. Add in EV suits as a costume part.
    4. Give us a single standardized colour palette for all items.
    5. Let our boffs wear any thing we can wear as a captain.
    6. Edit: remove sex-specific restrictions to allow people with toons of different orientations to make a look they want.

Sorry i do NOT want to see gorn and Jem'Hadar running around a battlezone in a yeoow or pink string Bikini
    Spock.jpg

• vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    bernatk wrote: »
    +1

jst Seven's boots. and I think the Mirror oddy uni has thigh high heeled boots
    Spock.jpg