test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Testing a new mobile experience for the forums

2»

Comments

• captan2er0captan2er0 Member Posts: 835 Arc User
    I look at the current state of the mobile forums and just go "WTF?!?". I personally can't tolerate the white, as others have said, it is hard on the eyes. The intermediate black you guys had brielfy before this annoyance of the white forum was decent but not really what I'd prefer.

As of right now, the new mobile platform deters me from wanting to visit and post.
    Signature%20Base%203%20copy.png?psid=1
  • pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,164 Arc User
    Well its working today without any jumbled up text for me and like the others I found the white hard on the eyes. I also found with the white background and thin grey line it was at times hard to tell where a post stops and a new one starts. Depending on zoom level the grey blends into the white too much. The line could do with being a little thicker and darker.

The forum also seems very slow compared to the original version. I had a strong signal but it was x5 slower to load pages.
    Not happy with the lack of ability to see recent posts or who last posted to a thread as those are two features I use a lot.
  • nickkyana#2794 nickkyana Member Posts: 16,147 Arc User
    Okay we've been trying this new one for nearly a week and the feedback isn't that good. Can we have the old one back please?
    "We have no tomorrow, but there's still hope for the future. In our struggle to survive the present, we push the future farther away. Will I see it in my lifetime? Probably not. Which means there's no time to waste. Someday the world will no longer need us. No need for the gun, or the hand to pull the trigger." -Punished Snake
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    Since I mostly use the mobile site in bed I'd prefer a dark theme or optional night mode. Also, "recent discussions" are what I browse. I can access it via a bookmark, but there should be an option for this. Other than that the current version somewhat works although full site with working BBcode would still be the best option.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
    edited June 2018
    .....and its back to being unusable. Could the changes to the full site form mobiles be rolled back? Since these tests I have been unable to use the full site on my mobile which is 100% unusable I cannot even read thread titles. Plus once you press use full site there seems to be no way to swap back to the mobile site. This has left me unable to use the forums via my mobile.
    Any news on when we can use the forums on our mobiles again? I miss not being able to use the forums on lunch break.
  • marty123#3757 marty123 Member Posts: 670 Arc User
    I don’t like it
    edited June 2018
    azrael605 wrote: »
    > @pottsey5g said:
    > Any news on when we can use the forums on our mobiles again? I miss not being able to use the forums on lunch break.

I always use the forum on mobile, this did not stop that at all, not sure why you think you couldn't. I think they made a bad change but its still usable, and has been.
    Not for me. Before this change I used the forums daily. Now it is 100% unreadable. I cannot even read thread titles as the layout is so messed up. Text is ontop of other text. The reading area is 5% of the screen with everything packed into that tiny space.

That's when I can even get a page to load. Since this update it is taking minuets per page load. That is not my mobile connection but the changes to the site.
  • ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
    Allrighty. Restoring the old way. :)
    edited June 2018
    Allrighty. Restoring the old way. :)
    Thank you very much. Just been on my mobile and the forum just loaded fast and correctly. There must have been something incompatible with that other design and my phone.

One thing I am confused about is during the testing I couldn’t even view the full site forums correctly. Now you undid the changes that works.
  • nickkyana#2794 nickkyana Member Posts: 16,147 Arc User
    It feels nice to have it back this way
    "We have no tomorrow, but there's still hope for the future. In our struggle to survive the present, we push the future farther away. Will I see it in my lifetime? Probably not. Which means there's no time to waste. Someday the world will no longer need us. No need for the gun, or the hand to pull the trigger." -Punished Snake
  • tmghost7729#8985 tmghost7729 Member Posts: 455 Arc User
    Old version was a LOT better, don't fix what's not broken please.
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    I welcome the reversal. Only thing I don't unterstand is why we can't use code being mobile like posting images and proper quotes.
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou