test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

How did we go from over 30 episodes for an expansion to 6?

archer01#0741 archer01 Member Posts: 99 Arc User
I realize that Legacy of Romulus was a few years ago and that there have been expansions since but I wish Victory is Life came with as many episodes as Legacy of Romulus. Six episodes seems like too few to be considered an expansion. Even Delta Rising has quite a few more episodes than Victory Is Life, although a lot of them were filler episodes. This post is mainly to vent because I realize it's not likely that the number of episodes being put out will increase.
Post edited by archer01#0741 on

Comments

• seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    These are just the first 6 episodes and not the entirety of VIL.

This was the initial launch, there is more coming. At the end of the 6th mission, it ended with 'To Be Continued..'

Plus lets not forget, with VIL we also got the Playable Jem'Hadar and Cardassians, level cap, new Queue, new ships and the Battlezone as well as the revamp of Deep Space 9 and the addition of the Gama Quadrant. It was more then just the 6 episodes.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User
    Quality over quantity. Quark's Lucky Seven was the best episode, ever.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • evilmark444evilmark444 Member Posts: 6,950 Arc User

This was the initial launch, there is more coming. At the end of the 6th mission, it ended with 'To Be Continued..'

Plus lets not forget, with VIL we also got the Playable Jem'Hadar and Cardassians, level cap, new Queue, new ships and the Battlezone as well as the revamp of Deep Space 9 and the addition of the Gama Quadrant. It was more then just the 6 episodes.

Even comparing only launch missions ViL is pitiful compared to every other expansion this game has had.
    Lifetime Subscriber since Beta
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User

Even comparing only launch missions ViL is pitiful compared to every other expansion this game has had.

Fair enough, everyone is welcome to their opinion.

To me, the quality of the VIL episodes is far superior to things like Delta Rising where we got a ton of missions but I didn't really like any of them. DR is a good example of a release bloated with filler disquised as content. Silly patrol missions hampering story line progression to make things take longer to finish. VIL had only 6 episodes so far, but I am ok with that if the quality of the episodes remains consistent.

Again, it will all be a matter of opinion, but as @meimeitoo said.. 'quality over quantity.'

The truth is that LOR is a high bar that the game may never achieve again. It was truly the 'golden era' of STO. I am happy overall with the content of VIL, I think the episodes are far better then larger releases like Delta Rising that I mostly disliked.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,587 Arc User

To me, the quality of the VIL episodes is far superior to things like Delta Rising where we got a ton of missions but I didn't really like any of them. DR is a good example of a release bloated with filler disquised as content. Silly patrol missions hampering story line progression to make things take longer to finish. VIL had only 6 episodes so far, but I am ok with that if the quality of the episodes remains consistent.

Again, it will all be a matter of opinion, but as @meimeitoo said.. 'quality over quantity.'

The truth is that LOR is a high bar that the game may never achieve again. It was truly the 'golden era' of STO. I am happy overall with the content of VIL, I think the episodes are far better then larger releases like Delta Rising that I mostly disliked.

^^ Well said! DR was an episode nightmare, really, with Gecko behind the wheel, trying to frustrate player progress at every corner, annoyingly dragging things out for you, to pad his stats. Shockingly, almost, it seems they learned their lesson, and didn't make ViL about the grind (in fact, leveling up to 65, using Admiralty mainly, went so absurdly fast, it was reportedly a bug, but I'm now thinking maybe they did that on purpose). Overall, I really enjoy ViL -- against my expectations, really.
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    meimeitoo wrote: »

^^ Well said! DR was an episode nightmare, really, with Gecko behind the wheel, trying to frustrate player progress at every corner, annoyingly dragging things out for you, to pad his stats. Shockingly, almost, it seems they learned their lesson, and didn't make ViL about the grind (in fact, leveling up to 65, using Admiralty mainly, went so absurdly fast, it was reportedly a bug, but I'm now thinking maybe they did that on purpose). Overall, I really enjoy ViL -- against my expectations, really.
    It might seem shocking to you, but they must have really learned, or Gecko specifically, since AFAIK he's still in the same position he was during all the other expansions.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    Keep in mind that LoR brought in a new faction, or sub faction if you prefer. The story at that point showed what the Romulans were doing and dealing with at the time the Federation and Klingons were in the midst of a war. They had to basically introduce an entire set of missions from start to finish, or at least until you get to some of the cross faction missions. With Delta Rising everything from the moment we hit the Delta Quadrant until Midnight was basically the Delta Rising expansion. From there until we started fighting the Tzenkethi was the Agents of Yesterday expansion. And now we're in the Victory is Life era.

Each of those expacs when they were said and done had a fair amount of episodes and content to them. Each one brought in a respectable amount of episodes and new queues to them. As another already pointed out, quality over quantity. I would rather have 10 good episodes over the course of an expansion vs 30 half baked ones. Keep in mind this is only the start of ViL and they've more than made clear more stuff is going to be coming. ViL will only be 2 weeks old on Tuesday the 19th, which isn't much time gone by at all. If these launch episodes are any indication as to how the rest of the expansion will be, especially Quark's Lucky Seven, then I'm not worried about how many episodes we get if they're all of that quality.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • lordbeefy7lordbeefy7 Member Posts: 169 Arc User
    I would rather have 6 quality missions than 30 average or rubbish ones. No im not saying LOR was rubbish, i really enjoyed it...but looking forward tk see cryptic sinking a lot into this expansion shows the intention to keep it going longer term.....lets face it the voiceover actors wont have been cheap and they all say more than just a few lines.

Iverall i love this release and am happy with the 6 missions and the to be continued line. I hope they ard all of this quality.

And yes quarks seven is genius.
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    the number of episodes is not a problem for me, every couple months a new one is fine. but a "faction" with just one race is a bit lazy or like in tos just founding four...

i would do at least,quandrat specific j'hadar
  • jiralinriajiralinria Member Posts: 108 Arc User

Totally agree! That mission alone makes ViL the best expansion STO ever had.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Sometimes you can have low quantity and bad quality at the same time.
    Post edited by avoozuul on
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    avoozuul wrote: »
    Sometimes you can have low quantity and bad quality at the same time.

True but you're going to have a hell of a time establishing that point RE. Victory is Life.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • mikejf1220#5024 mikejf1220 Member Posts: 45 Arc User
    For all the people parroting "quality over quanity", I have 1 very simple question for you:

What is the minimum number of missions you would accept for an "expansion"?

From LOR until now, STO's expansions are shrinking at an exponential rate. If the trend continues, the next expansion would have even less than 6 missions. Again, what is the absolute minimum amount of missions an "expansion" could have before "quality over quantity" just doesn't work anymore?
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    For all the people parroting "quality over quanity", I have 1 very simple question for you:

From LOR until now, STO's expansions are shrinking at an exponential rate. If the trend continues, the next expansion would have even less than 6 missions. Again, what is the absolute minimum amount of missions an "expansion" could have before "quality over quantity" just doesn't work anymore?
    The minimum? 0.

It really depends on what else is in the expansion. I think this one feels "lighter" than DR or LOR, but kinda similar to AOY.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • coqaunandos117#2576 coqaunandos117 Member Posts: 65 Arc User

Yeah, you aren't going to get any "honest" answers to your question. The previous poster just tried to side-step it with their "zero" answer. But the truth is, we all know calling 6 episodes(great or not) an "expansion" is getting ridiculous. The white knights would defend a 1 episode expansion and still shout "quality over quantity!".
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    I would of liked a few more episodes, but the 6 we got were EXCELLENT. So not complaining too much.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    I would have been more annoyed except the 'to be continued' and much of the new stuff seems like it was rushed to deadline. I see a lot of bits that look like they just didnt get the whole expansion done in time for launch, thus we'll be getting it handed out over time. If thats the case, I kinda prefer it. If not, then they really need to dial back the voice actors and spend the $$ on some more developers.
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    Reading comprehension skills seems to be lacking in these forums of late. It has been repeatedly stated that the VIL expansion consists of a lot more than 6 missions, with the 6 we have seen so far being just the beginning, and yet....

As I only started playing just before DR, I can't really speak as to frequency of expansions etc, others who have been playing forever have already covered that. I'll speak of what I do know...

When DR hit, I had only one toon and that was a KDF, I deleted him and started one each Fed/KDF/ROM, I found them all good, with KDF and then ROM being much better story lines than the Fed, and all of them finding the Delta arc a mostly boring waste of time, with way too much doing nothing but flying all over the sector compared to actual story to immerse myself in. (Kind of like the KDF starting missions, flying from one side of the sector to the other in a T1 ship to do a mission that takes half as much time as flying there took).

Since then mission have been added quite regularly (to my mind) ranging from mediocre to wonderful. Then came AoY, great story line although quite short, possibly beautiful maps as they looked nice on my old system running graphics at minimum so I'll bet they'll look awesome if I ever replay them now that I can run at max. Most of what has come out since then has been, to me, mostly great work, with good story lines and beautiful maps.

Now we have VIL, that has so far been a fantastic story with beautiful maps, although it does include one "puzzle" and one "maze" that a lot of people find extremely difficult.

Not having been around before then, I'll take others word for the fact that LOR, which to me is the best Faction story line of the bunch, required a year or more of absolutely no new content before release, but was released as a complete package. Then DR, which was also released as a complete package, but which I gather did not have a year or more of no new content before release and was not fondly received by anyone at the time, or very well liked by anyone at all.

So, we have a long time of nothing new and get an awesome expansion, compared to still getting new content followed by a crappy expansion.

Since then we ave gotten regular new, good content, along with new, good expansions, however the expansion, instead of being released as a large, complete package have been released as a smaller, incomplete package followed by regular releases of the rest of the expansion. I'll take the good, regular new content, with good, but partial expansion releases over regular mediocre content followed by a complete but crappy expansion any day. And, although I haven't been through, I would not want to go through a year plus of nothing new to get a complete and good expansion.

Again, this is based strictly on what I have heard (read) but the long drought before LOR drove a lot of players away, and the total crappiness of DR drove even more people away. What I have seen during my actual playing time is a player base that appears to be growing, maybe not fast, but growth is growth, whether it's old players returning or new players joining. Regular good new content with regular good but partial expansions seems to be working.

On a final note, I'll echo others. I'll take 6 episodes of quality content that I enjoy playing over 20 episodes of TRIBBLE that I can't stand playing through even once any day.

Any content, no matter how awesome will get old if repeated enough, but content that you can't stand playing even once is unacceptable.

LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png

I prefer quantity, with one or two high quality missions mixed in.
    eaY7Xxu.png

I personally loved all of the patrol missions, my issues with DR were the weak Vaudwar story and the ridiculously slow leveling. The missions themselves were the perfect blend of high and low production values, it was much closer to the traditional MMO experience that i love, where you run a bunch of simple quests before getting one that has a real story to tell.
    eaY7Xxu.png
    arionisa wrote: »
    Reading comprehension skills seems to be lacking in these forums of late. It has been repeatedly stated that the VIL expansion consists of a lot more than 6 missions, with the 6 we have seen so far being just the beginning, and yet....

When I compare expansions I go purely by the content available at launch, not the subsequent patches, and it is irrefutable that every single expansion has launched with fewer missions than the last. As far as im concerned anything that comes in the following months is not part of the actual expansion, but rather a separate content patch that continues the story.
    eaY7Xxu.png
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User

Of course, we can't avoid the part where this is a f2p game, and "Expansion" doesn't necessarily mean anything other than "larger content release". It's not comparable to, say, an expansion in WoW that costs everyone $30-40.

(yes, they make a big deal out of 'expansion' here, and sell those Big Bundles. Still doesn't make it quite the same thing.)

...I do wonder how budgeting goes. How much did having a zillion major/minor character voice actors cost, and how much value do people put on that. (I've got nothing but a feeling, but have the number of show actors they have in each major story arc been increasing? More in Delta than in LoR, more in ViL than in Delta? Eh, could just have a terrible memory. ;) )
  • leemwatsonleemwatson Member Posts: 5,331 Arc User
    LoR was a good expansion, but I thought DR was far superior in terms of a story. It was certainly better in it's initial iteration before it got chopped and changed with the little side stories. As for ViL, the story has been great and the expansion has not been finished off being released. People thinking that 'that is it' need to be patient. There's more coming soon.

And once again, let's not forget guys, this game is FREE!
    "You don't want to patrol!? You don't want to escort!? You don't want to defend the Federation's Starbases!? Then why are you flying my Starships!? If you were a Klingon you'd be killed on the spot, but lucky for you.....you WERE in Starfleet. Let's see how New Zealand Penal Colony suits you." Adm A. Necheyev.
  • lagomorphic#0794 lagomorphic Member Posts: 28 Arc User

exactly as @coqaunandos117#2576 predicted, no one is brave enough to actually answer this question because they know how ridiculous it will sound to say they would be happy with something called an expansion that has even less than 6 missions.
  • lordludicous#6518 lordludicous Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    Quality over Quantity!

I'll be happy with a 1-mission-expansion if the mission is really good!

QUALITY OVER QUANTITY!!!111ZZ

/\/\/\

Some people are so hardcore about defending this game they would literally say something that insane if it came down to it.
  • r0m#7631 r0m Member Posts: 134 Arc User
    I think we also need to point out that the vast majority of this new expansion is completely free, including the principal new race choice. I've played other F2P MMOs and to me nothing compares to what Cryptic gives us. Now of course a buffed-up Jemmie or a Cardie (who'd want to play a Cardie anyway? :p) might cost you something, but you can always grind the Dil and get it free anyway.

The only reason I really invest some RL cash into this game is to support the team and help ensure a healthy future for STO. I could go completely F2P and still enjoy the vast majority of the game.

So to me, saying the last expansion was a good deal for our money is a grave understatement. The new missions are awesome and really happy with where this game's going. Less missions at first launch but with great new content all around, I'm all for it.

My two cents.