test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tiny carrier?

giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
I was thinking of getting the Vanguard Carrier, but then I saw someone else with it around DS9... and it's TINY! It was about the same size as my Undine Dromias. Is it supposed to be like that? Who ever heard of a tiny carrier?

Comments

• seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    Ever seen the xindi aquatic carrier? It's abou the size of a sovy and handles like a battle cruiser.
  • shevetshevet Member Posts: 1,667 Arc User
    Very few Trek ships are actually tiny, by conventional standards. Even the Defiant is roughly the size of a football pitch, and the Defiant is way down the small end of the size charts. I think the Vanguard Carrier probably has all the space it needs, especially since it doesn't have to make room for all the frivolous stuff that, say, the Enterprise carries around with it. (Arboretum? Ten Forward? I don't think you'll find those on a Jem ship, somehow.)
    8b6YIel.png?1
  • giliongilion Member Posts: 686 Arc User
    Well ya ok, it's just that if you go to the news page where they described all the new ships: https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10911443-jem’hadar-vanguard-and-cardassian-intelligence-starship-stats-&-abilities

The description they have for the carrier just sort of had me expecting a lot more "This enormous vessel supports the Vanguard Fleet by acting as a mobile assault base for the launch and repair of other vessels, while also providing support and tactical superiority."
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    if you want big and Jem'hadar, go Jemnaught or go home. after you have tyour ship traits done, the T5-U Jemmy is one of the best carriers in the game, IF you unlock the frigate hangars. I can't tell you which I enjoy flying more, the Jemnaut or the Recluse. Right now far too many Dominion ships flying around so i am jumping into the Recluse.. oh, and for small carrier? the Carp the Klinks get is pretty small
    Spock.jpg

• phoenixc#0738 phoenixc Member Posts: 5,459 Arc User
    if you want big and Jem'hadar, go Jemnaught or go home. after you have tyour ship traits done, the T5-U Jemmy is one of the best carriers in the game, IF you unlock the frigate hangars. I can't tell you which I enjoy flying more, the Jemnaut or the Recluse. Right now far too many Dominion ships flying around so i am jumping into the Recluse.. oh, and for small carrier? the Carp the Klinks get is pretty small

Klingon Carp? Is that the nickname for the silly looking but nice flying space steamer they have as the T5u carrier? It is quickly becoming my favorite ship on the KDF side (though it is a shame they do not have a tank cruiser for T5u for Klingons, my other KDF captain is classic engineer tank type and since I do not want to respec (and could not afford to do so anyway) I have to keep her in the old T5 free tank).

And yes, the ship looks tiny but it really is not. The best place to get a feel for how big Trek ships really are is the Earth spacedock when one of the smaller Fed ships drifts past the window :)
  • schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    shevet wrote: »
    (Arboretum? Ten Forward? I don't think you'll find those on a Jem ship, somehow.)

It's been 24 years since Next Generation went off the air, and I still can't hear the word "arboretum" without wondering how cramped the Enterprise-D's enlisted living quarters must have been so that the officers could look at real trees when they already had a perfectly good holodeck.
  • hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    schloopdoo wrote: »
    shevet wrote: »
    (Arboretum? Ten Forward? I don't think you'll find those on a Jem ship, somehow.)

It's been 24 years since Next Generation went off the air, and I still can't hear the word "arboretum" without wondering how cramped the Enterprise-D's enlisted living quarters must have been so that the officers could look at real trees when they already had a perfectly good holodeck.

The ship was huge by volume (and floor space is very proportional to volume). At 1000, it had the largest crew of the canon Federation ships, but its crew-per-volume was very low. The Galaxy was 5.8 million cubic meters, more than twice the volume of the Sovereign at 2.4, but with only 25% more crew. It was nearly ten times the volume of Voyager (~625K cubic meters), but only four times the crew.

What that crew:volume ratio means is that the Galaxy class has an enormous amount of extra space. What we see of both living and working spaces in those three ships are very similar, meaning the Galaxy-class has a lot more slack space not needed for either. So they can afford to pack in tree parks and dolphin tanks and full service bars and so forth.