test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

We should be able to print our captains and bridge officers

I would absolutely pay for the ability to print little statues of my captain and bridge officers as well as their ship. I could think of some wicked displays on my shelves!
♪ I'm going around not in circles but in spirographs.
It's pretty much this hard to keep just one timeline intact. ♪

Comments

• ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    +1 to this. Printing ships is one thing, but i'd love to have 3D statues of my captain and crew as well.
  • ryickryick Member Posts: 26 Arc User
    Add my name to that petition.
  • bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    I could go for that too.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    I can just imagine the look on the neighbors face when five life sized Orion slave girl 3D printings arrive in bikinis in a package marked "Away Team".

Aaah! "Fra-GEE-leh!" It must be Italian!
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    Would be interesting. Although then comes the issue of posing. How will they stand? What will be in hand?
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • nickcastletonnickcastleton Member Posts: 1,212 Arc User
    id be up for that
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Would be interesting. Although then comes the issue of posing. How will they stand? What will be in hand?
    some games allow you to print characters when you do you can choose their pose and what they are holding.

0bzJyzP.gif

"It appears we have lost our sex appeal, captain."- Tuvok
  • camclcamcl Member Posts: 7 Arc User
    I would love to see that, but I think they need to hire more people and expand a bit before that can happen.

They're so backlogged on the ship orders alone, I'm waiting an extra 3-6 weeks for mine, beyond the time I already waited.
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    Addressed on Ten Forward weekly: Cryptic wants to but this is a whole other ball game and one that's much more challenging than ship printing (finer detail, thinner components.) But, if ship printing remains popular then you can bet Cryptic will continue to look for how to expand it in future (no promises but maybe someday). ;)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    Addressed on Ten Forward weekly: Cryptic wants to but this is a whole other ball game and one that's much more challenging than ship printing (finer detail, thinner components.) But, if ship printing remains popular then you can bet Cryptic will continue to look for how to expand it in future (no promises but maybe someday). ;)

I look forward to it and hope they manage to do it cause I want it badly.
  • ashstorm1ashstorm1 Member Posts: 679 Arc User
    edited June 2018

Actually, Blizzard already offers a 3D printing service for your WoW characters, including a wide range of dynamic poses and the possibility to equip any armor set and weapon that you may have unlocked in-game.

It's completely doable with the appropriate resources.
  • commanderkassycommanderkassy Member Posts: 1,005 Arc User
    ashstorm1 wrote: »

Actually, Blizzard already offers a 3D printing service for your WoW characters, including a wide range of dynamic poses and the possibility to equip any armor set and weapon that you may have unlocked in-game.

Really? That's cool!
  • jamieblanchardjamieblanchard Member Posts: 556 Arc User

I also wonder about that myself. And, what would the scale be in, as well? I'd totally go for army men scale, or the 3.75 inch scale for the 80's G.I. Joe figures.
    Resident TOS, G.I. Joe, Transformers and hair metal fangirl.

And knowing is half the battle!

21 'til I die!
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    So you want a stiff action figure?
  • schloopdooschloopdoo Member Posts: 373 Arc User

Really? That's cool!

Yeah, the poses are based on the animations in the game, so the models aren't twisted and turned in any way that the art assets weren't designed for. It's a neat service, and I imagine the quality of the collectible figures' looks has improved as Blizzard's art for weapons and armor has over the years.
  • camclcamcl Member Posts: 7 Arc User

From what I remember, the company running the service hasn't really updated it in a while, atleast since Pandaria (so certain races aren't available). They also don't use the updated character models, atleast as recently as last year.
  • dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    I have a custom character statue from Blizzard from back when BC was out. Of course, I think it's a foam statue since it's in a glass bubble. And characters in WoW aren't as modifiable as in STO. But that was 10yrs ago, so I'd think characters here should be no big deal technologically speaking. More of a desire/expense issue.