test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Stealth nerf to Borg RA xp just as I was about to buy account-wide ships?

mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
Yeah... am I losing it or am I getting a third the xp from Borg RAs?

Comments

• mneme0mneme0 Member Posts: 498 Arc User
    Why no, I'm not losing it, I didn't even hit tier 1 on a KDF ship that one of my Romulans is now trying to tier up.

Eat a Snickers, Cryptic... you get crazy when you're hungry. :)
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    Wasn't the XP buff to borg red alert an artifact of its old place in the game rather than an intentional design tweak for the queue? We've had it but that doesn't mean we'll always have it (at some point they were going to notice the discrepancy :tongue:. That or the buff just broke. In which case: bug report.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    edited June 2018
    We'll never know, because they'll never say. :)

The good news is many of my Fed ship traits I already somehow had on my Roms so less grind there. Bad news is it makes me very disinclined to buy another Jem or a Cardy ship...
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Badlands hasn't noticably changed for XP and didn't notice any drop in the japori or argala patrols either. Working towards surface tension on my jem so not sure about that one.

All feels more or less the same apart from the number of folk ignoring objectives seems to have increased by a lot so if you're after badlands for marks and tokens for dil then it will take longer to complete.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    The XP Nerf to Red Alerts happened quite a long time ago. They used to be great for Ship Leveling maybe a year or two ago, but then they got a massive hit with the nerf bat XP wise.

There hasn't been any new XP nerf with VIL though, the XP is just as pathetic in Red Alerts now as it was last week. Just run Argala to round 4/5 warp out, rinse.. repeat. It's boring, but it gets the job done.
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • ltminnsltminns Member Posts: 12,569 Arc User
    The XP 'nerf' occurred when they switched to Red Alert PVE Queues rather than just the Red Alert. Tholian before the changeover was better for XP, after the changeover Borg was better. But nowhere near what they had been when just a Red Alert and it was an XP Boost Zone.

The reasoning to get rid of the boost was that now that you were part of a Team you got the XP for all kills. Before some knucklehead in a Simitar would burn through Cubes, etc. before you could get there and get a shot off. They may have 'over compensated'.
    'But to be logical is not to be right', and 'nothing' on God's earth could ever 'make it' right!'
    Judge Dan Haywood
    'As l speak now, the words are forming in my head.
    l don't know.
    l really don't know what l'm about to say, except l have a feeling about it.
    That l must repeat the words that come without my knowledge.'
    Lt. Philip J. Minns
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,969 Community Moderator
    Before ViL went live we were also in an XP event so everything was giving boosted XP.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • warmaker001bwarmaker001b Member Posts: 9,205 Arc User
    The XP Nerf to Red Alerts happened quite a long time ago. They used to be great for Ship Leveling maybe a year or two ago, but then they got a massive hit with the nerf bat XP wise.

There hasn't been any new XP nerf with VIL though, the XP is just as pathetic in Red Alerts now as it was last week. Just run Argala to round 4/5 warp out, rinse.. repeat. It's boring, but it gets the job done.

I also want to add, that some fleet mates had complained that, "Are XPs nerfed this expansion?"

Some quick questions to them turned up they were all working on the new ViL Dominion Ship Masteries, going from Tier 5->Tier 6. I've grinded one to Tier 6 mastery, and IIRC, the 5->6 required something in the ball park of 50k-60k XPs alone, which is pretty long even with Argala 4/5 grinding. Each tier 1 thru 5 was normal, it's going from 5->6 that took long.
    XzRTofz.gif
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Before ViL went live we were also in an XP event so everything was giving boosted XP.

Good point, this could definitely explain why it seems to take longer now.. because it actually does. :smile:
    [

Some quick questions to them turned up they were all working on the new ViL Dominion Ship Masteries, going from Tier 5->Tier 6. I've grinded one to Tier 6 mastery, and IIRC, the 5->6 required something in the ball park of 50k-60k XPs alone, which is pretty long even with Argala 4/5 grinding. Each tier 1 thru 5 was normal, it's going from 5->6 that took long.

Good point.. that would certainly make it feel like it was taking longer.
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    isn't there a known issue with NPC scaling which might be affecting xp ?
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • captainpugwash1captainpugwash1 Member Posts: 908 Arc User
    Before VIL went live 5 6 borg red alerts = mastery after 14 15 red alerts = mastery so its was either bug before and put right, bugged now or nerffed, this was on my rom using kdf ships.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    there was a bonus to xp before expansion went live... but the bonus was only 50%. seems to me the xp from Borg RA was reduced (nerf'd).
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    I think it has been nerfed a second time, I am noticing that I'm getting pitiful xp from it now.
    Honestly, I don't know what you guys are talking about. 5 or 6 red alerts to master a ship? That hasn't been possible in at least a year, maybe more.

The Red Alerts have sucked for XP ever since they converted them to queues, not sure why people think they were good before VIL. Is it possible you guys got used to the bonus XP event that ran all last month? Because I can assure you, Red Alerts have been a terrible source of ship mastery for a very long time now.
    Well i just did a borg red alert in a t6 raptor and jumped up 1 tier ?????
    edited June 2018

Op may have just been wide from combat and not collected Xp from the full encounter. I've been getting about a tier per run of borg RA which seems customary to what the xp rate was prior to ViL.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!

Op may have just been wide from combat and not collected Xp from the full encounter. I've been getting about a tier per run of borg RA which seems customary to what the xp rate was prior to ViL.

i think it mite be bugged just did a 2nd run and got less than half of wat i did on 1st run ???????

• questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    Honestly, I don't know what you guys are talking about. 5 or 6 red alerts to master a ship? That hasn't been possible in at least a year, maybe more.

The Red Alerts have sucked for XP ever since they converted them to queues, not sure why people think they were good before VIL. Is it possible you guys got used to the bonus XP event that ran all last month? Because I can assure you, Red Alerts have been a terrible source of ship mastery for a very long time now.

They were a good source of XP in the weeks prior to VIL. Used them extensively to get the mastery on several ships in that period. Today, when i discovered some missing mastery on ships the Borg RA did not even get mastery to 1. Previously it was not unheard of to get mastery to 3 in a single run.

This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
    edited June 2018

i think it mite be bugged just did a 2nd run and got less than half of wat i did on 1st run ???????

Or it could be that in the second run the targets killed counted for half the XP (there are differences in the borg groups) or that you personally were awarded with half the XP for combat contributions (may have had much better players vaporizing borg the second time.)

General rule: two data points on a system with lots of different variables doesn't say much. I'd say keep a track of it over time and try to play as consistently as possible (to give a baseline.)
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    The XP required to go from one Mastery Level to the next scales upwards as you progress, yes? So, it would make sense that going from 1 to 2 would require more XP than going from 0 to 1, and so on for each following level.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    edited June 2018
    I have leveled a substantial number of ships over the years, both during XP events like the recent one and otherwise, almost exclusively using Borg RAs because no other content gives enough to bother with as a function of time and hassle. I do not AFK these... usually. I am consistently getting about 3100 ship XP per Borg RA no matter how many targets I engage and/or kill. This is substantially less than I would get before the aforementioned XP event. Tholian RA is also giving much less, apparently 300 ship XP per run.

I am disappoint.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    with bonus xp before expansion, you can get over 2 tiers done with 1 borg RA. now I can not even finish tier 1. yes there was a bonus xp before xpan but it was only 50%. the exp you get has been reduced. thou I wonder if it's due to your level going up?

well I guess I'll follow the crowd and warp out after 4th wave in patrol in delta quad.
  • salazarrazesalazarraze Member Posts: 3,794 Arc User
    In my experience, Tholian RA has never been a good source of ship mastery xp. I've run Borg RA a lot lately and I haven't noticed any "nerf" to ship mastery xp. as other posters have noted, I have noticed that the bonus xp event has ended which has returned us to normal ship mastery xp levels.
    When you see "TRIBBLE" in my posts, it's because I manually typed "TRIBBLE" and censored myself.
  • omega6theta1omega6theta1 Member Posts: 130 Arc User
    I've noticed the lack of exp also.. was able to get 3 tiers with 1 Borg RA and 1 argala patrol previously... since ViL dropped Tuesday I just hit tier 5 yesterday (sunday) on the first ship I started playing.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    I've never been completely sure that the XP boost from red alerts actually affects mastery grinding anyway.

Really your best bet for ship mastery is any kind of target-rich environment where you can rack up a lot of kills. For example, play a space BZ like Undine or Tzenkethi in a group (more mobs will spawn), or run STFs like Counterpoint and Undine Assault (or Mirror if it's available).
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • arakim5arakim5 Member Posts: 82 Arc User
    Borg RA's are definitely handing out less XP for ship mastery. Considering the massive t5-t6 grind for Vanguard ships I am having a very hard time believing this was unintentional.

The grind is now the biggest Boss MOB in STO.
  • questeriusquesterius Member Posts: 8,301 Arc User
    I'm guessing the mob level is too low.
    Like XP can be pretty low in a romulan minefield when you happen to be in a team with a number of low level players.
    This program, though reasonably normal at times, seems to have a strong affinity to classes belonging to the Cat 2.0 program. Questerius 2.7 will break down on occasion, resulting in garbage and nonsense messages whenever it occurs. Usually a hard reboot or pulling the plug solves the problem when that happens.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    questerius wrote: »
    I'm guessing the mob level is too low.
    Like XP can be pretty low in a romulan minefield when you happen to be in a team with a number of low level players.
    Yeah, level 50 mobs don't really count for much on mastery, not compared to level 60 mobs.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • postinggumpostinggum Member Posts: 1,117 Arc User
    I've had some RAs with very odd XP like single digits from when the team gets a kill, but its not consistent enough to get a handle on the issue.