test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Would you like to see a Five Year Joint Alliance Exploration Arc?

thevampinatorthevampinator Member Posts: 637 Arc User
Kirk and the Enterprise had their own five year mission. Would you like to see them change the content from wars to true exploration and bring about the true star trek experience? But instead of being just the Federation doing this. All the factions would be involved in a joint exploration mission. What do you think?

Would you like to see a Five Year Joint Alliance Exploration Arc? 53 votes

Yes I want a five year exploration mission, to seek out strange new Worlds for the Alliance in a joint venture.
58%
forthegamerf9thretxcgaraks31kjwashingtonsheldonlcooperneos472spacehermitattilio87phoeniz1994hadin1gradiisparhawkleveslykjbiedermanjonnyneo1nickcastletoncaptainbrian11miirikthevampinatornickarcher404 31 votes
No I just want to continue on with killing the bad guys like a good little, Fed/Kdf/Rom/Dom can do.
16%
duncanidaho11eldarion79mainaneoakiraiithay8472jiralinriazanibarwarpangelkhan1000 9 votes
Other
24%
talonxvmirrorchaoswhere2r1azrael605arliekkospatrickngocrashdragonsirsitsalotrattraps123ichaerus1iamjmphechattycptgamer#8560 13 votes

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Other
    I wanna do both at the same time.

Because, not everything you meet "out there" is going to be happy little campers or lost souls in need.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    Other
    My fleet and my characters roleplay as separatist independents, with the mindset of hatred for alliances. The "true" Star Trek experience is all in the eye of the beholder. The Grand Galactic Alliance can do their thing. I've really got to sit down to figure out how to work the Foundry for new mission creation and writing. Maybe after the break I'll be taking after the summer event is over, will I put time into that.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Other
    i'd prefer a mix honestly and a change of pace from the usual mass murdering captain would be nice.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,100 Arc User
    No I just want to continue on with killing the bad guys like a good little, Fed/Kdf/Rom/Dom can do.
    I'd rather a Terran Expansion in the future so I can kill feds and the alien vermin!
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    People need to stop with this "true exploration" **** because its totally disingenuous.

Remember that episode of Star Trek when they just beamed down to a new planet, everything was fine, they said hi to the natives, and then left? Oh wait, that never happened because that wouldn't fill the hour long timeslot they needed. Every new race the Trek crews encountered put them into some hostile situation, be it being kidnapped, or being threatened to be blown up, because exploration, and meeting new races, is FULL of conflict by nature.

People also need to stop with the "everything is a war" **** also. The only "wars" in STO are
    -The Fed/Klingon War, which started long before the game began
    -The Iconian War
    -The Temporal Cold War
    Out of the several dozen enemy races we have encountered, we have only gone to war with 3 of them. Not every conflict is a war, and calling them such is nothing of short of being a complete liar.

We just got out of an exploration arc with the Lukari and Tzenkethi, where we went to many unexplored worlds in the far reaches of the Alpha Quadrant, discovered and unraveled a mystery that threatened life on countless worlds, and discovered and help reunite the lost cousins of the Lukari. The entire "New Frontiers" arc is literally an exploration arc, and any future exploration arc would be done in a similar manner.

This idea that Cryptic is just going to do an arc of like 10 mission, where all you do is warp in, scan some space gas by playing minigames, and then leave, is beyond bonkers.

Promote that man.

I'll add that with the power of the Foundry (glory be the foundation blocks, we go into battle to reclaim our asset limit) interested players can make "true" exploration missions for themselves and place those in the sector block for other to organically explore (more so than the old system.) They might also get feedback on what removing most of the conflict, drama, characters, and gameplay does to a mission if they don't see that for themselves in the process of making it. ;)

(This is also coming from the person who made 5 Alliance Exploration Initiative missions, including the one that got spotlighted. Doing exploration well in STO is not a reductive process bent on maintaining a single view of "true" Star Trek, quoting the OP. Quite the contrary, in fact.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    Yes I want a five year exploration mission, to seek out strange new Worlds for the Alliance in a joint venture.
    Yes lets explore and occasionally kill things rather than the other way around.

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    I really enjoyed the Lukari stuff, and would love to see more of that.
  • forthegamerforthegamer Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    I voted yes to exploration. Now exploration doesn't mean we won't get killed by things, but I think us being told to explore wouldn't necessarily mean we aren't fighting off some new species we happen to accidentally upset.
  • khan1000khan1000 Member Posts: 264 Arc User
    We are Jem'Hadar, not explorers.
    giphy.gif
    Fear the Dominion
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    This idea that Cryptic is just going to do an arc of like 10 mission, where all you do is warp in, scan some space gas by playing minigames, and then leave, is beyond bonkers.
    Right. We had those way back when in the "exploration clusters" and they got deleted because they were about as exciting as brushing your teeth.
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Kirk had the exploration mandate because at that time everything was still kind of new and unexplored systems were still out there.

There was a line from picard where he asks riker if he recalled when they used to be explorers.

Closest we've had to exploration recently has been the lukari episodes where we meet them for the first time, despite them being economically close to the ferengi, and the one where we visit their colony in a place they didn't bother to explore or check out prior building there, and for some reason geordi's ship also lacked any sensor scanning gear which always seemed to be standard kit for any ship since even the defiant has a few sensor probes and techy gizmos.
    edited June 2018
    Closest we've had to exploration recently has been the lukari episodes where we meet them for the first time, despite them being economically close to the ferengi, and the one where we visit their colony in a place they didn't bother to explore or check out prior building there, and for some reason geordi's ship also lacked any sensor scanning gear which always seemed to be standard kit for any ship since even the defiant has a few sensor probes and techy gizmos.

And the Dyson Sphere arc, and the discovery of New Romulus, and the exploration of the Draconis system, and the exploration of New Kentar... ;)

(An exploration episode is most simply defined as going somewhere our character doesn't know about yet. Themes and details then evolve from what that place is and how it relates to us and other characters.)
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    Other
    Like others have said, I'd like a mix, like we had with the Lukari arc. Exploration is not simply land, greet and leave. It's much more than that and may occasionally involve conflict.

I'd like to see some more like the Lukari arc. sirsitsalot has an interesting idea.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    edited June 2018
    Other - I want to see a new layer of gameplay that encompasses Exploration, Colonization and Industrialization. This system would be automated and facilitated by interacting with one's bridge officers while visiting ship interiors. It would procedurally generate content SIMILAR to how the old exploration system worked, but would do so based on rules and specific conditions to make sure that stupid **** like the Third Borg Dynasty does not happen, and so that every mission objective makes sense.

I'll disagree with a flat "no." Compare AEI exploration missions to the old exploration system. We use a lot of the same assets and yet look at the amount of depth players have to explore between them.

Look at it.

There's absolutely no comparison. A procedurally generated mission has almost no potential to offer organic exploration (beyond the minimal "find what assets have been placed where") because a set of simple random variables cannot do world building (let alone character development and thematic arcs to compliment it.) All they can do is mechanically create a simple scenario (that you haven't seen before in bare technical fact but damn well have experienced through its simple pattern. Even something like No Man's Sky (which spent a whole game's worth of resources on this idea) quickly falls to humanity's innate capacity to recognize themes in their environment (such that this kind of game becomes little more than a resource grind with superficial variation in proper nouns and environment art, leaving little for a human mind to contemplate and explore.)

The best counter to that is not rolling more/less dice (depending if you want to add more variety or place more conditions) but another organic mind actively trying to give players explorable content (something that genre's learning, see. Subnautica's fixed world.) Ie. the same mechanics that the shows/movies used to tell exploration stories. Ie. good story telling that develops a setting and (if you really want to use the video game format to its full potential) a few open environments with optional dialog/objectives mixed into episodic missions (see. the AEI missions: In Silence, Defense Mechanisms, Trident, and Apex) which help calibrates the level of exploration to an individual's level of curiosity.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Other
    I'd like to see exploration but have more of an Ent feel. Going to a new planet and seeing a species on the cusp of space flight and we get the chance to go down and study them without being caught.

How well we do with not being spotted determines our reward.

Or more first contact with warp capable civilizations and getting to conduct diplomatic relations. Depending on how well we do we might create a peaceful resolution, or have an antagonistic issue.

Decide to build new deep space stations out on the reaches as we go along. Have to find supplies for it, defend it. And how well we do, will show if we put up a new outpost or not.

Stuff like that. Time to expand and do some more sandbox like stuff.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Other
    not a great deal of consensus so far from the forumers, "no" and "other" combined hold 55% of the score so far compared to the "yes" at 45%. i would of half expected a few more yes after the same old development line we all get. a mission to destroy all our enemies for the slogan, the badge.. the uniform.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
    edited June 2018
    not a great deal of consensus so far from the forumers, "no" and "other" combined hold 55% of the score so far compared to the "yes" at 45%. i would of half expected a few more yes after the same old development line we all get. a mission to destroy all our enemies for the slogan, the badge.. the uniform.

There's a lot of issues with the "yah!" ideas put forth. For example, if you want exploration, you want someone writing it. A la the start of the New Frontiers arc, Star Trek TOS, ENT, VOY, ENT, ect. You don't want RNG exploration systems to parrot semantics while delivering a grind.

Think of it as the difference between a game of Risk versus Dungeons and Dragons. Semi-randomized scenarios metered out by probability theory will never beat the inventive creativity of a DM and their capacity to use that to allow players to learn about their environment and explore its possibilities (at the very least, the DM can combine two ideas together to provide a moment of realization. With RNG "exploration" each event is [by fundamental statistical definitions] independent.)

In playing the same campaign there might be a more variable setup to Risk, by simple calculable permutations, but it's depth is still at puddle level (as the explorable dimensions of an RNG "exploration" is only comparable to the dimensions of the system. By contrast a human writer can pull from the full universe without having to worry about whether they can verify that result with a simple equation.) As seen in game, and in the Foundry, STO can do much better with narrative exploration arcs (even if they aren't labeled as such, see. New Romulus) than exploration systems.

Besides, the OP framed this as wanting "true" exploration to be "true" to Star Trek, and apart from the mechanical issues of what others proposed (RNG exploration) there's simply no way of reasonably justify the premise here. Star Trek is not one thing, it has never been one thing, and trying to establish it as one thing in the name of exploration is a fundamental contradiction of what exploration is (exploring multitudinous possibilities of a novel setting, allowing the audience to draw what they will even if that doesn't agree with your own view as content creator.) When you leave blank spaces for imagination to fill you can't argue with how people fill them and the simple act of creating that explorable content does not preclude conflict, war, or anything else in human experience..
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
  • rattraps123rattraps123 Member Posts: 101 Arc User
    Other
    I posted this on the sto forums back in 2015! an we still don't have an exploration system :O( Leave your comments, share , tweet, repost this everywhere ! Lets Bring back Exploration !, IF you added to it and expanded on it. then it would be fun.

Start off with 5 different types of missions.
    Exploration
    Aid / Rescue
    Diplomatic Mission
    Defend
    Colonize Planet
    The key to a good star trek game is exploration, star trek online used to have a Genesis system. And it was very limited in what it could do and create. But it was an early prototype of exploration, Much of star trek online has changed over the years and evolved over time.
    The Genesis system wasn't given much a chance to do that. There would be a new Exploration marks currency used to buy in-game items, such as ground and space sets. The 5 types of missions I listed above are just for example. This is how it would work.
    Planets would be randomly generated using game assets. Aliens would be randomly generated using alien generator. Missions randomly generated using 1-5 mission types. Objectives randomly generated using Mission 1-5 sub-types. Rewards would generated based off number of randomly assigned objectives.
    Exploration Missions
    You and your away team beam down to an unexplored planet, Starfleet wants you to explore this planet and catalogue and gather sensor data for research.
    Your mission objectives are a randomized set of goals. You might get 1-5 objectives here. the number of objectives you get will determine the amount of reward.
    1 - 250 EM / EC/ Dil, 2- 500 EM/ EC/ Dil, 3 - 750 EM/ EC/ Dil, 4 -1000 EM/ EC/ Dil, 5 - 1500 EM/ EC/ Dil,
    scan plants
    scan animal life
    scan the planet for radiation samples
    scan for any signs of alien tech
    scan for geological anomalies
    Aid / Rescue Missions
    You get a distress signal from a nearby planet. You decide you need to check it out.
    Your mission objectives are a randomized set of goals. You might get 1-5 objectives here. the number of objectives you get will determine the amount of reward.
    1 - 250 EM / EC/ Dil, 2- 500 EM/ EC/ Dil, 3 - 750 EM/ EC/ Dil, 4 -1000 EM/ EC/ Dil, 5 - 1500 EM/ EC/ Dil,
    provide provisions food
    provide materials shields / generators
    provide resources money / ec. / lat.
    provide transportation transfer of aliens from one system to another.
    provide support for ship or planet
    Diplomatic Mission
    Your crew would get orders to Provide diplomacy and settle a dispute among local aliens.
    settle with war Fighting on behalf of one side or race.
    settle with peace Offering an gift / token of peace, EC or Dilithium
    settle with resources Offering resources to settle dispute.
    settle with materials Offering shields / materials
    settle with diplomacy Making peace with diplomacy to both sides.
    Defend Missions.
    Your crew and ship are tasked with defending planet from attackers.
    Defend Protect base from alien attackers.
    Capture Take and capture another alien base or stronghold.
    Shelter Hold alien base until reinforcements arrive.
    Sabotage Sneak into attackers camp and sabotage weapons and shields.
    Extraction Get into alien base and rescue alien party by extraction.
    Colonize Planet Missions
    Starfleet wants your ship and crew to Colonize this planet for the Federation or Klingon or Romulans.
    Build Establish a colony base structure.
    Gather Mine resources from planet.
    Support Provide resources and Duty officers.
    Trade Open trade relations with minor aliens in local system.
    Protect Provide protection an security with boff and doff missions.

New Tricorder game system would have to be build, make everything in the game scannable with a Tricorder. also the tricorder would be a device that goes in your player device slot. and is epic. not upgradable. it is used on items, boffs, and unlocking doors, puzzles and overriding computers and consoles Using mini games.

Please leave your feedback and comments and Please support this thread and maybe we can get Exploration back in Star Trek Online. Thanks for reading.
    cSLYSLc.gif
  • captainbrian11captainbrian11 Member Posts: 733 Arc User
    they removed the random exploration stuff for a reason cause it was dull as heck.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    I would like to see som diversity in the feature episodes, honestly. Klingons do not act like feds when given situation X, Y or Z. the Roms may or may not... and even digging deeper, remember a few episdoes ahd the little bits (you can do THIS because you are an Engineer you can do THAT becaus you are a Scientist.. I'd like to see some of that come back
    Spock.jpg