test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Recent Foundry issues have forced me to withdraw all my missions

The recent bugs breaking the Foundry (https://arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1239490/missions-offering-foundry-rewards-prior-to-latest-release-no-longer-doing-so) have resulted in spat of bad reviews for my missions that I can do absolutely nothing about.

I can't edit text (to warn people about possible bugs), I cant fix missing waypoints, and I certainly can't add back the rewards that went missing. So my solution was to remove my missions entirely. Its the only 'fix' available to me at this point - because if the missions aren't providing a fun experience, there's no point in having them available.

I sure hope this gets patched soon. It is really giving the Foundry a blackeye - and as if we needed any more bad rep. :'(

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Ah...so there is some more weirdness going on in the Foundry besides that text thing.

I attempted a mission yesterday evening and could not interact with an interact point. It just was not there....well...the big giant circle indicating it was supposed to be there was on the map.....

I had to start dinner so.... I dropped the mission.

Although, I could not write a review to TELL anyone there was something wrong with the mission, could not Tip, could not interact with the box other than type something in the and have it go to waste since the send button was gray.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    :'(

Couple of quick stop-gap work arounds.

Text bug:
    You can clear by hitting alt tab or the windows key. There's a bug during the initial foundry menu load that causes keyboard controls to fail to register. Swapping back to STO from desktop or another program sets them.

Missing waypoints:
    If associated with a location objective (see. recent thread): Remove then recreate the objective in the story tab. It would be very useful to know if these are waypoints tied to newly created or old objectives (ie. that haven't been touched since downtime.)
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    The recent bugs breaking the Foundry (https://arcgames.com/en/forums/startrekonline/#/discussion/1239490/missions-offering-foundry-rewards-prior-to-latest-release-no-longer-doing-so) have resulted in spat of bad reviews for my missions that I can do absolutely nothing about.

I can't edit text (to warn people about possible bugs), I cant fix missing waypoints, and I certainly can't add back the rewards that went missing. So my solution was to remove my missions entirely. Its the only 'fix' available to me at this point - because if the missions aren't providing a fun experience, there's no point in having them available.

I sure hope this gets patched soon. It is really giving the Foundry a blackeye - and as if we needed any more bad rep. :'(

giphy.gif

• theyredeadjimtheyredeadjim Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    *comment withdrawn*
    Post edited by theyredeadjim on
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,248 Arc User
    When the new lighting broke things, I stayed the course...but the lack of rewards for missions is a clear sign of the future for the Foundry. It seems that it is who you know and not what you know that matters here.

There is a club, and only select members may join. As you turn your back on me, so do I turn my back on you.
    hmm what makes you say that?

I certainly didn't know anyone important before I started making Foundry missions and I'm not certain it could be say that I know anyone now either.

Also there's absolutely no indication what so ever that recent bugs are targeted in any shape or form so, saying "who you know matter" doesn't make sense there either.

TL:DR none of that you're saying makes any sense in light of my experiences.

• theyredeadjimtheyredeadjim Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited June 2018
    *comment withdrawn*
    Post edited by theyredeadjim on
    edited June 2018
    Response to moderated post redacted. -- StarSword-C
    Post edited by starswordc on
  • hippiejonhippiejon Member Posts: 1,581 Arc User
    Well, I haven't withdrawn anything and I have kept up with the many "workarounds". But like some others, due to the state of the Foundry I have currently no interest in even trying to use the tool. It's a part of their game and at this point without "workarounds" it is nigh unusable. I'll praise them when they do good stuff like this latest expansion, but I am absolutely heartbroken and shocked that the Devs allow a part of their game to continue in this broken state.
  • nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited August 2018
    Perhaps I just shouldn't say anything, since I have nothing but negativity to add. But, the Foundry has been treated like an afterthought dating back basically from the start. I was really into the Foundry back around 2011-2013--ancient history now--and I eventually abandoned it because of the way Cryptic treated it. It seems like not much has really changed in the intervening years, so it's probably pointless to hold out hoping that it will change now.

I've always though it was really unfortunate, because the Foundry had a lot of potential. We even provided free content back during the "content drought" when STO was sold to PWE and literally no content was added for around a year. But Cryptic never showed any interest in really leveraging it. In retrospect I think the Foundry might only have been put into STO to playtest for NWN.

But this cycle of being constantly broken, down for weeks/months, etc, is sadly nothing new. It's the same story, the devs "always are busy on X"/"have something better to do", but in the end it means the Foundry is in a poor state much of the time.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    This is one of those things where I live by the principle of:
    Grant me the courage to change the things I can,
    The serenity to accept the things I cannot,
    And the wisdom to know the difference.

It's given that foundry isn't front and center, we can't change that. What we can do is try to show everyone why we love it. along with asking nicely for stuff.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • chritmarsh#4963 chritmarsh Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited October 2018
    NM
    "Today is a good day to die... but I'd rather go to Risa."-Fleet Admiral Christopher D. Marshall
    O1P2m6v.png
  • karochongkarochong Member Posts: 16 Arc User
    Could we make the Foundry Open Source with Cryptic being the final gatekeeper of changes? They must have an api at this point to support what is currently available, perhaps?
    karochong wrote: »
    Could we make the Foundry Open Source with Cryptic being the final gatekeeper of changes? They must have an api at this point to support what is currently available, perhaps?
    Not likely as it would need much more manhours for Cryptic to police the changes then it does currently.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    [Mod Hat] Prophets, people, the last legit post in this thread is from August. [/Mod Hat]
    Thread_Necromancy.jpg
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
This discussion has been closed.