test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Bring back Gaius Selan

shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
I for one would like to see more of this NPC he seems fascinating

Comments

• solidshark214solidshark214 Member Posts: 341 Arc User
    Think he got the ax when STO got guild/union/whatever-it-is-certified. They had to let Gaius' VA go because of it. Same reason Kurland hasn't had anything new to say (though that part I'd consider a bonus).
  • meimeitoomeimeitoo Member Posts: 12,594 Arc User
    Think he got the ax when STO got guild/union/whatever-it-is-certiFied.

Yep. No more Mr. Nice Gaius. :P
    3lsZz0w.jpg
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,015 Community Moderator
    Wasn't that switch around the time Delta Rising came out? Because Lt. Selan was in Delta Rising.

Anyways... The most recent case of Lt. Selan was actually in the Iconian War arc in the episode Butterfly, where we see a holographic alternate Tal Shiar Agent Selan. After that, there really hasn't been a need for a Romulan Intel officer.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • shadowkoshshadowkosh Member Posts: 1,688 Arc User
    just would like to see him back instead of the same guy who is voicing Quinn and several other npc's with the same voice
  • postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    Generic male sto voice isn't as overused as generic female voice that ends up having conversations with herself because they over use her so much (taris&t'nae for example). Or maybe it is and the bloke can actually do accents or inflections well enough to disguise it a bit better.

They probably could bring back the original voice for gaius if they paid the union/guild fees but if that was possible then it'd open the door for more kurland.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,310 Community Moderator
    valoreah wrote: »
    ...Same reason Kurland hasn't had anything new to say...

Thank God.

I'd think that you'd want him to say something NEW. :wink:

GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    At somepoint baddmoonrizin is going to release a foundry remake of what lies beneath but instead of a deranged hologram it'll be spangly nexus kurland camping it up in his speedos.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Couldn't it be a gorn in a speedo instead?
    Kurland here, Kurland here
    Dressed all in red
    Kurland here, Kurland here
    Soon you'll be dead
    MUHAHAHA!
    GrWzQke.png
    avoozuul wrote: »
    Couldn't it be a gorn in a speedo instead?

Last year I (jokingly) suggested the summer event should have a mankini cosmetic unlock for the gorn.
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    I would think Gaius would also feel a bit guilty for being used to snatch Sela out of the Republic's hands. Incompetent Roms couldn't even hold onto her. Of course neither could the Elachi/Solonae/Iconians.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    It's sela, they were probably happy to be rid of her.
  • lazarus51166lazarus51166 Member Posts: 646 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    kx0Dctt.png
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    > @echatty said:
    > I would think Gaius would also feel a bit guilty for being used to snatch Sela out of the Republic's hands. Incompetent Roms couldn't even hold onto her. Of course neither could the Elachi/Solonae/Iconians.

That was entirely the fault of that idiot prison guard. There's a reason they don't let inmates have cell phones.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,914 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    > @echatty said:
    > I would think Gaius would also feel a bit guilty for being used to snatch Sela out of the Republic's hands. Incompetent Roms couldn't even hold onto her. Of course neither could the Elachi/Solonae/Iconians.

That was entirely the fault of that idiot prison guard. There's a reason they don't let inmates have cell phones.

Yes, you're right. Still, Gaius probably did feel some guilt over that, it was the incompetence of the guard that allowed it to happen, as I said, the incompetent Romulans stumbled all over themselves to claim her, then she turned around and escaped.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
    Maybe they weren't allowed to interact with the door console until she stopped talking.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Quite honestly after Sela did her thing on Selan? i doubt he will ever be the same again. He was reprogrammed through the borg components in his body and it isn't known what kind of damage that caused.

i can't see Selan coming back unless there is a suitable storyline to get his mind back:

it is mentioned that individuals are remembered by the Borg after their passing. so i am wondering if it is possible that the Borg still have his original brain scan and memory ingrames that can be downloaded out of the collective and into Selan, in effect, wipe his mind of everything up to the point Selan was disconnected from the borg. who knows how many years Selan would of lost between disconnection and being in the Republic.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • jbmonroejbmonroe Member Posts: 809 Arc User
    Think he got the ax when STO got guild/union/whatever-it-is-certified.

Did what? Please don't tell me SAG is involved in this.
    boldly-watched.png
    Indeed SAG is. Hence why Kurland doesn't get any more dialogue. ;)
    GrWzQke.png
    A quick google says its three grand to join then 200 or so a year plus a cut of any wages they get for doing the voice work.

Way too much money for someone that can only utter the two words "kurland" and "here" and as their wage wouldn't be for the voice work there would no doubt be a faff of some sort tied into that.
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    Fun is creating characters named Kurland in other games and going to their general chats and typing "Here!" now and then to see who screams.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    no bort did kurland. gaius was a pro just not SAG
  • spiritbornspiritborn Member Posts: 4,263 Arc User
    The way I understood in addition to legacy voices (aka voice lines recorded before the switch to SAG actors) which they can use as much as they wish, STO devs have premission to use non-SAG actors in a very limited capacity so they're very careful about where to use those as to not use up their quota of non-SAG voices for trivial things.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    spiritborn wrote: »
    The way I understood in addition to legacy voices (aka voice lines recorded before the switch to SAG actors) which they can use as much as they wish, STO devs have premission to use non-SAG actors in a very limited capacity so they're very careful about where to use those as to not use up their quota of non-SAG voices for trivial things.

and if you get right down to it... it's sort of a grey area imo on these rules... if you want us to do voice work you agree not to use anyone not in our group... sort of like how certain companies *cough*intel*cough*nvidia*cough* say if you want to buy our product you agree not to buy from someone else... can get em into trouble. but hey this is California and they are sort of are willing to look the other way when it comes to unions.