Install Arc

The Next Expansion: Original Movie Era?

2»

Comments

• talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    > @angrytarg said:
    > talonxv wrote: »
    >
    > Doesn't matter if people want to go all in on Discovery. Outside of maybe a lock box and maybe an episode or two, the chance for an expansion has LONG since sailed with the TMP in the temporal arc.
    >
    > And like I said. Cryptic could of stretched that chasing the enemies of the temporal accords across a whole slew of time periods up to and including:
    > The ten years between TMP and TWOK
    > The 7 years or so between ST5 and ST6
    > The 70 years missing between the two eras depicted in Generations.
    >
    > But that boat as SAILED. Get over it.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > First of all:
    >
    > A common mistake is to write the word of instead of have or the contraction 've. The reason for the mistake is that the pronunciation of have in unstressed contexts is the same as that of of, and the two words are confused when it comes to writing them down. The error was recorded as early as 1837 and, though common, is usually considered unacceptable in Standard English. -Oxford Dictionary
    >
    > But I agree. The whole temporal arc could have been a great set-up for a era-spanning arc with multiple extensions and a lot of attention to detail. Sadly, I feel the whole topic and opportunity that comes with it hasn't been explored to a fraction of it's potential. And I don't even like time travel and rehashing of old episodes and content that much.​​

Here's the thing. Much of the eras I just said have nothing to cover it. We could of seen the refit Enterprise doing anything in between TMP and TWOK. Same with the about 6 ueaes between 5 and 6. And there are a whole BUNCH of things that went on between the end of the Ent-Bs first mission and Encounter at Farpoint.

Missions with the B or C. Meetings a young Picard on the Stargazer. The border wars with Cardassia.

So much stuff never explored and wide open for creative writing.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,008 Community Moderator
    talonxv wrote: »
    So much stuff never explored and wide open for creative writing.

"But... but... Star Trek is supposed to look FORWARD! Not Backwards!"

Figured I'd beat the guys who actually believe that before the flamefest starts.

I actually agree that there are gaps in the timeline that would be great to see filled in, but there are those who feel that the ONLY setting for anything new in Trek is past what we've already had on screen. IE post Nemesis. Anything that doesn't conform to THAT... is blasphemy, destroys canon, and is just downright evil and must be destroyed... with fire.

Which, IMO, is dumb. I mean that whole period of time between the launch of the Ent-B and Narendra III is ripe for stories. HELL... we ALMOST got to see the Earth-Romulan War in Enterprise! A CANON EVENT! But... like Discovery, Enterprise apparently violates the Holy Vision of Saint Roddenberry and must die. And literally the ONLY thing we know about the 22nd Century is the founding of the Federation and the Earth-Romulan War.

Anyways... enough of that rant. Back to the topic at hand.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    angrytarg wrote: »
    But I agree. The whole temporal arc could have been a great set-up for a era-spanning arc with multiple extensions and a lot of attention to detail. Sadly, I feel the whole topic and opportunity that comes with it hasn't been explored to a fraction of it's potential. And I don't even like time travel and rehashing of old episodes and content that much.​​

That said, the specific remit of AOY was to celebrate the 50th anniversary of TOS. An era-spanning arc would have detracted from that. Ie. pulling missions away from the TOS intro (to the point where its no longer viable as an intro arc) to bolster the end-game arc which was already visiting events from DS9 (Breen attack on Earth), TNG (Tox business), ENT (battle with Tholians), and beyond (Temporal Accords).

Basically, it would have had to become something else. That else has story opportunity but IMO they're equivalent save for homage emphasis (ie. do you make the 50th anniversary about the original series or all of Trek.)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    there could be additions to the temporal war. we already went back to the TOS and saved the timeline for the babel converence.. no reason why we could not jump back to post v'ger timeframe to save the timeline again.
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,296 Community Moderator
    Yeah, the Temporal War arc actually would allow them to insert any time period into the game during that arc and it still hold up storywise without interfering with anything else or requiring an entire new arc.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Reported for flaming by false accusations of sock puppetry.

I don't think he's accusing YOU of being a sock puppet. I think he's just talking about sock puppet accounts in general. That being said...

patrickngo wrote: »
    Fact is, I think you're right. The staff at Cryptic have already gushed their love for Discovery...

to the point that even their sock-puppet accounts react instantly to the very whiff of a hint of criticism for it.

Dude, please don't insult Cryptic sock puppets.
    GrWzQke.png
    patrickngo wrote: »
    I really am glad you're stuck with moderation instead of me, or someone like me. It'd take about a week to really hate the playerbase if I had to do your job.

Well, I'm not stuck with it. I could quit at any time of my choosing. ;) LOL

Does it get frustrating and I sometimes want to pull my hair out over some of the things I read on a daily basis? Yes. :unamused: But I genuinely enjoy the game and the community despite all of the complaining that I see. :smirk: Because there's just as much appreciation and good going on here, too. And the only reason that there are conflicts over issues is because the players care. They care about the IP and they care about the game. Otherwise, they wouldn't really get so worked up and passionate about it. I see this job as doing my part in giving back to the game and the community for all the enjoyment I receive from taking part in it. And if they let me, I'll be here til the server shuts down or life intervenes. :)

But enough about that. Back to the topic. :smile:
    GrWzQke.png
  • sevenofnine13141sevenofnine13141 Member Posts: 4,272 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    ... That was well said, @baddmoonrizin ... Wow.

Yeah, it would be sweet if we could have some sort of TOS movie era expansion. Certainly could be an opportunity to make HD interiors of the TWOK Bridge, or have an expansion exploring the times of the USS Enterprise-B because beyond Generations and maybe some books... we don't have much information on Ent-B's history.
    | State of the Federation |
    The German Empire
    Founded 2413
    Leader: S. Raneson
    de_pr2.gif
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User

Yeah, it would be sweet if we could have some sort of TOS movie era expansion. Certainly could be an opportunity to make HD interiors of the TWOK Bridge, or have an expansion exploring the times of the USS Enterprise-B because beyond Generations and maybe some books... we don't have much information on Ent-B's history.

The TMP expansion won't have the Enterprise B in it, because when it launches that material won't be ready until next Tuesday.

Imagine a rep grind that can't be completed till next Tuesday for each each project run.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • dareaudareau Member Posts: 2,390 Arc User

The TMP expansion won't have the Enterprise B in it, because when it launches that material won't be ready until next Tuesday.

So, are you saying they launched STO TMP Era back in Season 4, with the code "install next Tuesday"?
    Detecting big-time "anti-old-school" bias here. NX? Lobi. TOS/TMP Connie? Super-promotion-box. (aka the two hardest ways to get ships) Excelsior & all 3 TNG "big hero" ships? C-Store. Please Equalize...

To rob a line: [quote: Mariemaia Kushrenada] Forum Posting is much like an endless waltz. The three beats of war, peace and revolution continue on forever. However, opinions will change upon the reading of my post.[/quote]
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    angrytarg wrote: »
    talonxv wrote: »
    Doesn't matter if people want to go all in on Discovery. Outside of maybe a lock box and maybe an episode or two, the chance for an expansion has LONG since sailed with the TMP in the temporal arc.

And like I said. Cryptic could of stretched that chasing the enemies of the temporal accords across a whole slew of time periods up to and including:
    The ten years between TMP and TWOK
    The 7 years or so between ST5 and ST6
    The 70 years missing between the two eras depicted in Generations.

But that boat as SAILED. Get over it.

First of all:

A common mistake is to write the word of instead of have or the contraction 've. The reason for the mistake is that the pronunciation of have in unstressed contexts is the same as that of of, and the two words are confused when it comes to writing them down. The error was recorded as early as 1837 and, though common, is usually considered unacceptable in Standard English. -Oxford Dictionary

First of all:
    I like you, Angrytarg!
    But if you start correcting someone's grammar, you'd better watch your own. "People who live in glass houses", after all. :)
    But I agree. The whole temporal arc could have been a great set-up for a era-spanning arc with multiple extensions and a lot of attention to detail. Sadly, I feel the whole topic and opportunity that comes with it hasn't been explored to a fraction of it's potential. And I don't even like time travel and rehashing of old episodes and content that much.​​

an
    DETERMINER
    The form of the indefinite article used before words beginning with a vowel sound.
    See a
    -Oxford Dictionary

it's
    CONTRACTION
    1 It is.
    ‘it's my fault’
    -Oxford Dictionary

its
    POSSESSIVE DETERMINER
    1 Belonging to or associated with a thing previously mentioned or easily identified.
    ‘turn the camera on its side’
    ‘he chose the area for its atmosphere’
    -Oxford Dictionary

Please take the above as irony, and not as an attack. I've always enjoyed your posts (and your SIG picture)! I would never flame you.

Back on topic:

I'd LOVE to see TMP-UC era missions, interiors and a season to celebrate the anniversary. Now would also be a thematically appropriate occasion for it, since we've just been through the Tzenkethi storyline, in which they essentially used a weaponized Genesis Device, which was precisely what Kruge was on about in STIII: The Search For Spock.
    > @valoreah said:
    > Don't be silly. Absolutely they could still do more temporal story arcs within the TMP/post TMP pre TNG eras.
    >
    > I wouldn't mind seeing what @darthmeow504 is suggesting. Given the exceptional work that has been done on the DS9 update and ViL environments, I too would love to see what the design team could do with TMP era stuff.

They could yes. But they would of done it with the original expansion. So I highly doubt they will.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • cross821cross821 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    Don't we have all the ships from the movie era tho? I could see it being maybe half an exp but not a full one. Still would be cool.

Tho I guess they could trade out ships for all the movie ship interiors?
    > @valoreah said:
    >
    > They could yes. But they would of done it with the original expansion. So I highly doubt they will.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Honestly, that doesn't make any sense, nor does it prevent any future expansions from revolving around the TMP to ST: VI era.

Actually it does. Because of they were going to do it, they'd of done it while they had the funding for the expansion. They didn't and now we're going to the Gamma Quadrant and doing other things.

I'm going to say on a hunch, that ship sailed a while back.
    afMSv4g.jpg

• starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    > @rattler2 said:
    >
    > So much stuff never explored and wide open for creative writing.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > "But... but... Star Trek is supposed to look FORWARD! Not Backwards!"
    >
    > Figured I'd beat the guys who actually believe that before the flamefest starts.
    >
    > I actually agree that there are gaps in the timeline that would be great to see filled in, but there are those who feel that the ONLY setting for anything new in Trek is past what we've already had on screen. IE post Nemesis. Anything that doesn't conform to THAT... is blasphemy, destroys canon, and is just downright evil and must be destroyed... with fire.
    >
    > Which, IMO, is dumb. I mean that whole period of time between the launch of the Ent-B and Narendra III is ripe for stories. HELL... we ALMOST got to see the Earth-Romulan War in Enterprise! A CANON EVENT! But... like Discovery, Enterprise apparently violates the Holy Vision of Saint Roddenberry and must die. And literally the ONLY thing we know about the 22nd Century is the founding of the Federation and the Earth-Romulan War.
    >
    > Anyways... enough of that rant. Back to the topic at hand.

STO isn't set in the 22nd or 23rd or even 24th century, and overuse of time travel is just a recipe for plot holes as has been proven over and over. I don't oppose revisiting some of the locations and events but PLEASE PROPHETS let's do it in the 25th century with stories rooted in the current time period.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/