test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Orions: An Option for Romulan Faction

kronin#4685 kronin Member Posts: 325 Arc User
For this thread, I'm going to ask that people stop thinking about "space Barbie" for a little bit. (No, really, just stop for a minute or two.) When you think about the history of the development of this game, obviously the Orions were not going to be Federation. No need to kick that dead horse. At the time, that left the Orions with the only option of being KDF. Of course, that is too strongly entrenched in the game for that to change now. But I'm not asking for that anyway, so hear me out. I have heard some Orion players complain about how an Orion character doesn't really fit in the KDF story arc. They've said that the Orion personality and culture don't really fit being allied with such an honorable, proud warrior culture. Wouldn't it have made more sense for the Orions to have allied themselves with the Romulans? Also, the Romulan faction desperately needs more playable species. Sure, leave the Orions in the KDF, but can the Orions be added to the Romulan faction?

(Clarified title IAW stated OP. - BMR)

Comments

• davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,501 Arc User
    I'm not against it, but I do think the stereotypical traits of cunning, seductive, criminal fit a little better in the Klingon Empire, as another of the vassal races that do the dishonorable dirty work. And the thinking ;)

Romulans have the cunning stereotype, but as Space Romans I think they value discipline and order too much to welcome the Orions. Perhaps that changed after Hobus.
  • smooshy#7462 smooshy Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    I agree that the Orions with their criminal opportunism and cunning belong more in the KDF. My only complaint about Orions in the KDF is that the dialog is no different. My Orion prirate (or more properly privateer) still goes on about Stovakor and honor and Q'apla. The Grethor arc makes no sense whatsover. But [shrug] it's just head-canon.
  • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    > @smooshy#7462 said:
    > I agree that the Orions with their criminal opportunism and cunning belong more in the KDF. My only complaint about Orions in the KDF is that the dialog is no different. My Orion prirate (or more properly privateer) still goes on about Stovakor and honor and Q'apla. The Grethor arc makes no sense whatsover. But [shrug] it's just head-canon.

Well, it's not like they can show the average players Orion woman getting her way the way Orion women do....to their credit they do hint at it here and there. Hope K'men has some way of coping with how nice his assistant smells or the Orion's are actually running KDF Intelligence
  • davidwforddavidwford Member Posts: 1,836 Arc User
    I support adding the Orions as a Romulan Faction species. Add the Talaxians and Cardassians as well. More options for Republic characters is always better.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    The Orion Syndicate is probably somewhere between the Klingon Empire, and (what was) the Romulan Star Empire; the Syndicate have traits of both respective powers. That said, just as D'Tan and his followers left the Star Empire, I'd imagine there's a good many Orion who aren't thrilled at being within the Syndicate, and would relish the opportunity to escape from it - as D'Tan did the Empire.

Adding the Orion to the Republic is a good idea - and if such a proposal ever got the green-light, Republic Orions could simply have different traits more fitting to their new placement. That said, the Syndicate (and Orion species) is so far entrenched into the KDF now that to suddenly share them with the Republic would be like Cryptic giving the KDF a species just because the FEDs have one that's identical (coughcaitiancough). :wink:

I'd support the Talaxian and Cardassian joining the Republic though; if said species are available to the Reds and Blues, there's literally no logic restricting either of them from not being playable from the Green Team.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222