test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Not making players able to play a Vorta in "Victory is Life" is a big mistake

Really, guys, make Vortas available. If your story sais it doesn't work, change the story slightly enough to make it work.

Too many people will not be as enthusiastic as they should be if they cannot play a Vorta. Please, change your mind on this one. Make it possible.
Remember, STO is nothing but a cosmetics game, where only the rule of cool matters. The game mechanics are intentionally out of balance, don't try to "optimize" anything, as it would just frustrate you.

Comments

• where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    Wait. What??? No Vortas?? Not even Alien creation??? Well...that blows.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
    :::::::::pout:::::::: :(

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • natthaannatthaan Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    since the Jem'hadar ships will be crossfaction, it's not hard to make a Vorta in alien gen for Fed, Klingon, and Romulans. Also since the Jem'hadar arn't going to be a true faction, it really doesn't make a difference.
    edited May 2018
    natthaan wrote: »
    since the Jem'hadar ships will be crossfaction, it's not hard to make a Vorta in alien gen for Fed, Klingon, and Romulans. Also since the Jem'hadar arn't going to be a true faction, it really doesn't make a difference.

I just made 7 Delta Recruits...I do not need another character to start from Level 1. LOL!

What I want to do is make a Vorta for "Victory is Life"....and start it at level 60 with whatever the bonuses that Jem'hadar faction is getting.

I been watching the Jem'hadar related episodes of DS9....there is always a Vorta accompanying them.... unless a group of Jem'hadar is going rogue against the Dominion.

But from what I can gather of this "Victory is Life" story that has been revealed...Dominion is going to be allies.

• sui2ksui2k Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    it took them almost 8 years to allow us to play a cardassian .. so now u know how long you'll have to wait for a vorta
  • tilartatilarta Member Posts: 1,798 Arc User
    The only way I can see Vortas being made playable is as an exclusive species for Lifetimer subscribers, like Talaxians were for Delta Rising.

But since we have not heard any news to that effect, it's just my personal speculation at this point.

Bees like honey, they don't like vinegar.
    Everytime someone makes a character that is an copy of an existing superhuman, Creativity is sad :'(
    ruinthefun wrote: »
    Why would you make *7*?

Come, come, now, Armada Leader...we all have our hordes of "Worker Bees", don't we?
    Isn't that what you taught my Fleet Leader??? He's taught it to me. Aren't you proud?
    LOL!

• orondisorondis Member Posts: 1,447 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    natthaan wrote: »

Access to the Dominion Social Zone is a big thing.

People aren't playing STO for the spectacularily well-balanced game mechanics, but for the fluff. Vorta are THE commanding officer fluff for the Dominion, that's just canon.

There's going to be a Dominion only social zone? Well that's going to end up pretty dead rather quickly.
    Previously Alendiak
    Daizen - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    Selia - Lvl 60 Tactical - Eclipse
    edited May 2018
    orondis wrote: »
    There's going to be a Dominion only social zone? Well that's going to end up pretty dead rather quickly.

Especially, if they are not letting us make Vortas.
    Not even as Alien gen??? Come. ON. ::::whine::::

I like those lady Vortas I am seeing on DS9 episodes.

• tyler002tyler002 Member Posts: 1,586 Arc User
    Playing as a Jem'Hadar makes more sense. The Jem'Hadar First is the one who orders the crew, while the Vorta is closer to the incompentent 'Armchair Admiral' who gives the captain the overall mission objectives then takes all the credit for the captains work.
    tumblr_p7auh1JPC61qfr6udo4_500.gif
  • wbaker256#3172 wbaker256 Member Posts: 282 Arc User
    Things might’ve possibly changed under Odo, and the Jem’Hadar may now be allowed to command their own vessels without the guidance of a Vorta. Only thing I can really think of *shrug*

Other than that, Vorta would be nice to have, along with some of the Dominion’s more prominent allied species.
    @MGoblin256

"[GARBLED ELECTRONIC NOISES]"
    - Thot Gar - Commanding Officer of the Braaktak Kaan
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,005 Community Moderator
    mgoblin2 wrote: »
    Things might’ve possibly changed under Odo, and the Jem’Hadar may now be allowed to command their own vessels without the guidance of a Vorta. Only thing I can really think of *shrug*

Other than that, Vorta would be nice to have, along with some of the Dominion’s more prominent allied species.

While I can agree that options are good...
    Its pretty common knowlege that only the Jem'Hadar do the actual fighting, and according to the Devs themselves in a livestream having a playable Vorta doesn't mesh with the story they wanted to tell.

Unlike the Federation and Klingon Empire, that allows many races to serve in a military capacity, the Dominion relies on the Jem'Hadar alone.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited May 2018
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    tyler002 wrote: »
    Playing as a Jem'Hadar makes more sense. The Jem'Hadar First is the one who orders the crew, while the Vorta is closer to the incompentent 'Armchair Admiral' who gives the captain the overall mission objectives then takes all the credit for the captains work.

That is simply not true from the screen evidence we have. In Deep Space 9, the Vorta were in command of the ships. Do you really need me to list you all the episodes where this is shown?

The Vorta on the ships tell the First what needs to be done (and gives out the Ketracel White), but the crew takes orders from the First.

The Vorta acts more as a civilian overseerer and voice of the Gods than a military captain.
  • cassilda#7197 cassilda Member Posts: 86 Arc User
    I agree, playing a Vorta is actually more interesting for me than play a Jem'Hadar. I'm not discounting the Jem'Hadar story even before having played it, but really, Jem'Hadars in canon sources are generally big goons with guns, that don't seem to grasp complex concepts or anything outside a warrior lifestyle. Only a single elder Jem'Hadar was shown in DS9 having his own agency and questioning his orders or his place in the Dominion society, and he was clearly the exception to the rule.
    And I have real difficulties to see the Jem'Hadars being SCI or ENG officers, with their usual mindset.
  • terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »

I heard they even gave them a swimsuit.... I rather have a Vorta in swimsuit than a ex-drug addicted Jem'Hadar <shudders>

ZOk0BRm.jpg

Please don't forsake us to that terror...​​
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
    where2r1 wrote: »

I heard they even gave them a swimsuit.... I rather have a Vorta in swimsuit than a ex-drug addicted Jem'Hadar <shudders>

ZOk0BRm.jpg

Please don't forsake us to that terror...​​

Oh, you better hope you ain't on Risa the same time as me.
  • starkaosstarkaos Member Posts: 11,556 Arc User
    Have you ever seen a Vorta fight with their Jem'Hadar crew on the ground? With how violent our captains are, it doesn't make sense to have Vorta Captains in Star Trek Online. Now if our captains were more like Captain Picard, then it would make sense to have Vorta captains.
    starkaos wrote: »
    Have you ever seen a Vorta fight with their Jem'Hadar crew on the ground? With how violent our captains are, it doesn't make sense to have Vorta Captains in Star Trek Online. Now if our captains were more like Captain Picard, then it would make sense to have Vorta captains.

Hell with what makes sense. STO makes it up as it goes. But if you want limited example I guess Eris had some fighting ability, but she was unique and tailored for that specific mission for the founders.

Here the quote: "Only one Vorta was demonstrated using telekinesis: Eris. As the DS9 writing staff put more thought into the Vorta following their initial appearance in "The Jem'Hadar", telekinesis was discarded and deemed a misstep that the writing team hoped viewers would forget. (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine Companion, p. 155) Ronald D. Moore stated, "Our internal rationale has been that Eris was given this ability for a specific purpose by the Founders (and maybe several other Vorta along with her) and that it is not a normal part of the Vorta 'recipe' in the Dominion." (AOL chat, 1998)"

We have Odo making new Jem'Hadar. What to say he didn't do the same for the Vorta?​​
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    tyler002 wrote: »
    Oh, you better hope you ain't on Risa the same time as me.

tumblr_mneqhrWNEr1s66zsjo1_400.gif

In the name of the Founders.... Please No....! <shriek>​​
    edited May 2018
    Fleet Admirals are at least actually capable of fighting, Vorta are literally built in a way that makes them mostly useless at it.
  • garaks31garaks31 Member Posts: 2,845 Arc User
    I am a woman. Because I see my character's avatars as an extension of me....I do not prefer to make males.

So, here we are....weeks/days away from new faction in STO where I can't even make a female character. Thanks, Devs, for not even bothering to find a way to include women in your new FACTION.

Everyone gets to focus on playing a Jem'hadar, the elite soldier of the Dominion...all men. Because there are no Vortas "tough" enough to compete in the story they have planned out.

So, these knuckle headed male Jem'Hadar can evolve to be without Vortas being the "go betweens" because they got smarter and off the drugs. OR Odo bred them to be better "peoples"....except there are no women, still? But the Vortas stayed stagnant?? Really?

HINT: They made this all up.
    It could have easily been fixed before it got past the white board.
    You should have run this by a few "sensitivity readers".