test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

STO crashing

gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
This has never happened before in all the years I played this game. frequent crashes like CO. Is there at least a fix for it on this end?

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."

Comments

• sistericsisteric Member Posts: 768 Arc User
    What version of Windows are you using?
    Federation: Fleet Admiral Zombee (Alien Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Danic (Vulcan Science)::Fleet Admiral Daniel Kochheiser (Human Engineer)
    KDF: Dahar Master Kan (Borg Klingon Tactical)::Dahar Master Torc (Alien Science)::Dahar Master Sisteric (Gorn Engineer)
    RR-Fed: Citizen Sirroc (Romulan Science)::Fleet Admiral Grell (Alien Engineer)
    RR-KDF: Fleet Admiral Zemo (Reman Tactical)::Fleet Admiral Xinatek (Reman Science)::Fleet Admiral Bel (Alien Engineer)
    TOS-Fed: Fleet Admiral Katem (Andorian Tactical)::Lieutenant Commander Straad (Vulcan Engineer)
    Dom-Fed: Dan'Tar (Jem'Hadar Science)
    Dom-KDF: Kamtana'Solan (Jem'Hadar Science)

CoHost of Tribbles in Ecstasy (Zombee)
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    @gradii i've moved this thread to the pc bug reporting area. we don't allow bug reporting in general discussion as it prevents the devs from seeing it in a timely manor and clutters up the forum. In the future please keep bug reports confined to the bug reporting forums.

with that said can you be a little more specific with what you're seeing? there's a ton of things can can cause a crash. What exactly are you doing when it crashes, does it give an error box/number etc? Also what version of windows do you have, such as Windows 10 1803 as one example, and what kind of computer specs are you working with. In eliminating the usual suspects we can narrow it down for you.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • gradiigradii Member Posts: 2,824 Arc User
    @gradii i've moved this thread to the pc bug reporting area. we don't allow bug reporting in general discussion as it prevents the devs from seeing it in a timely manor and clutters up the forum. In the future please keep bug reports confined to the bug reporting forums.

with that said can you be a little more specific with what you're seeing? there's a ton of things can can cause a crash. What exactly are you doing when it crashes, does it give an error box/number etc? Also what version of windows do you have, such as Windows 10 1803 as one example, and what kind of computer specs are you working with. In eliminating the usual suspects we can narrow it down for you.

Ok I was unaware Crash to desktop was classified as a bug, normally I would consider things like broken game geometry, falling through mission maps at the transporter pad, etc to be bugs.

I get no error message when this happens. I'm using windows 10, I believe its the latest version. My PC is an Alienware Aurora R7 with an i5 intel processor and a NVIDA GEforce GTX 1060 graphics card. I never had this issue before and no hardware has changed on my computer since I last played. also this problem only appears to occur on STO (and CO, another cryptic game)

"He shall be my finest warrior, this generic man who was forced upon me.
    Like a badass I shall make him look, and in the furnace of war I shall forge him.
    he shall be of iron will and steely sinew.
    In great armour I shall clad him and with the mightiest weapons he shall be armed.
    He will be untouched by plague or disease; no sickness shall blight him.
    He shall have such tactics, strategies and machines that no foe will best him in battle.
    He is my answer to cryptic logic, he is the Defender of my Romulan Crew.
    He is Tovan Khev... and he shall know no fear."
  • darkbladejkdarkbladejk Member Posts: 3,698 Community Moderator
    Anything that's causing unintended consequences such as a crash, screen flicker, or similar such things can technically be considered a bug, as the code is not performing as it is supposed to.

I do know that the issues with the Nvidia cards was supposed to be taken care of but it appears not everyone is having such luck. For your rig are you sure you have the latest up to date drivers for your video card? Go under you GeForce Experience and be sure that you do. Also you can try reinstalling the driver if need be. I had to do that for my own rig and my GTX 960s but they're both working fine now.

To be sure you're on the most up to date version of windows, when you get a chance I want you to check for me so we can be absolutely sure, that way we eliminate the obvious. To verify what version you have, click the little cogwheel button that says Settings. Under the that tab press System, and then near the bottom of the list press the About button. That will give you all sorts of info on your rig and such. If you look under the Windows specifications portion, for version it should say 1803 if you're on the current version. That's what I want to verify to be certain.

In the mean time before we get super advanced or anything, be sure to verify your windows version for me. Also I want you to try doing a force verify on your files just to be certain. If the force verify doesn't work then we can try other fixes.
    "Someone once told me that time was a predator that stalked us all our lives. I rather believe that time is a companion who goes with us on the journey and reminds us to cherish every moment, because it will never come again." - Jean Luc Picard in Star Trek Generations

Star Trek Online volunteer Community Moderator
  • salacnar070890salacnar070890 Member Posts: 425 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2018
    You can also try and force STO to use 32 bit by going in the STO Launcher Options in the top right corner of the STO Launcher, scroll down till you see ''Use 32 bit client'' and put a checkmark next to it
    Salacnar
    =/\=Priority One Armada=/\=
    32 | Introvert | ADD (W/O Hyperactivity) | He/Him | Hetro-Demisexual | 6’9” ft-in tall | Avatar by: foodcu_be | Gunpla | STO | Yu-Gi-Oh!
  • groundhogmokagroundhogmoka Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    I've had several unexplained crashes within about a week or more. If it helps any. Windows 10 Version 1803 the April 2018 Update. Here are the specs.
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit Version 1803 (OS Build 17134.48)
    Intel Core i3 6006U 2.00GHz
    8gb single channel RAM 1063MHz (15-15-15-35)
    Acer Ironman_SK (U3E1) Motherboard
    Intel HD 520 Graphics max resolution of 1366x768 @60Hz
    1TB Seagate ST1000LM035-1RK172 (SATA) hard drive
  • salacnar070890salacnar070890 Member Posts: 425 Bug Hunter
    I've had several unexplained crashes within about a week or more. If it helps any. Windows 10 Version 1803 the April 2018 Update. Here are the specs.

Have you updated all the drivers of the On-Board GPU
    Salacnar
    =/\=Priority One Armada=/\=
    32 | Introvert | ADD (W/O Hyperactivity) | He/Him | Hetro-Demisexual | 6’9” ft-in tall | Avatar by: foodcu_be | Gunpla | STO | Yu-Gi-Oh!
  • groundhogmokagroundhogmoka Member Posts: 76 Arc User

Have you updated all the drivers of the On-Board GPU

I've tried doing that. There is a new driver available but it won't install even though it is for my GPU and CPU. I think that may be due to the fact that Intel is still working things out with a new feature they are planning on implementing.
  • borgus1122borgus1122 Member Posts: 243 Arc User
    I'm having same issues and also blurry texture issue which is mentioned in other post. But CTD (crash to desktop) happens to me also without any warning. Or sometimes game just freezes. If it freezes I can't close it even with process manager (or what is it called in windows), becouse if I try to do that, game client closes, but game stays on (strangely). So I must log out and relog in windows. I have latest update of Windows 10 and latest drivers of Nvidia GT 960M. And my rig is: i7 7600 HQ, 8gb Ram, Nvidia GT 960M 4gb.
    After latest CTD I let launcher to check STO files, and there was no problem whatsoever.