test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Official Landing Page Feedback Thread

Comments

• Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    [...] One last point. I don't think it's fair to say that players asking for the landing page to be removed isn't constructive. This thread was asking for feedback, not just positive feedback. True, such comments should be polite and respectful, but players should be able to say they don't like a given feature, especially in a feedback thread.
    [...]With respect, [...]you seem to be implying that negative feedback is inaccurate, and based only on the bug. That's not a fair assumption.
    ^ Thank you for this dose of common sense, it's refreshing ^

• Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    strathkin wrote: »

Our new Landing Page only has:
    ▪ Featured Episode
    ▪ Infinity Lockbox Returns & Link to Buy Keys
    ▪ Spotlight - Romulan Imperial Mindfield
    ▪ What's new in STO 14.5 & Link to What's New.
    ▪ Later Landing Page is bound to Main Menu and shouldn't be (Neverwinter's is not):
    ╘ Rearrange Hud, Options, Chat Settings, Change Character, Logout & Exit.

Revisit Landing Page to Integrate HAIL Button on Minimap (Better Landing Page):
    ▪ Calendar (More Prominent Color to stand out) the Neverwinter Landing Page also as Calendar similar to our Hail.
    ▪ Featured Series / Events -- with left / right scroll of 3 options.
    ╘ Features Series (aka Renegades Regret) Play Now
    ╘ Also shows Delta Recruit as Ongoing Long Term as 2 month ongoing events in middle.
    ╘ Also shows Mirror Invasion as 2 week ongoing event on right.
    ▪ Overview shows: Current Primary Mission in Journal, Episode Highlights, Foundry Highlights, Select PvE / PvP Queues.
    ▪ Episodes shows: Featured Episode, Faction specific Quests, Then Allied Specific Quests, Temporal Alliance Quests,...
    ▪ Available: All Daily Repeatable Quests.
    ▪ Foundry: (All Player Published Quests) with Spotlights, Browse All, etc..
    Only change needed - aside from open on first login / login.
    ▪ UPCOMING WEEKEND: Could be expand & renamed SENIOR OFFICER REPORTS : with left/right scroll options.
    ╘ 'Flash Sales' posted the day they start &/or end - for things like Services, Items, or others...
    ╘ Infinity Lockbox Returns, along with Reward Highlights, with similar CSTORE Link.
    ╘═ Perhaps option to claim 40% off single KEY purchase (once per account) - during each lockbox change.
    ╘ 'Upcoming Weekend' for Bonus Marks, or whatever...
    ╘ Or story's related to advancing or upcoming content like:
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10896394
    Unbind it from MAIN MENU - as it would be available from HAIL button afterward.

Very interesting breakdown of ideas.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    MAIN MENU will hopefully be unbound from Landing Page, so it's not seen every time ESC is selected, when you just want: Rearrange HUD, Options, Chat Settings, Change Character, Logout or Exit. After all Neverwinter has a Welcome / Landing Page for a long time, but it too only loads on first login and isn't bound to Main Menu.

I agree with baddmoonrizin comments he made earlier. Still we also must realize, not everyone read's all the comments, prior to posting their individual feedback. Also I haven't heard anyone confirm it's a BUG but that's why I've linked the CM below. So if were seeing a lot of people posting they don't like it, many or most in fact don't realize who or what others have said. If you dislike something I'd hope they'd want to know, so they would realize they need to improve or change it, so I don't think there is anything wrong with saying so! Yet please try to be more constructive and avoid getting too negative, instead focus on how you'd like to see it improved, or what you want to see more of.

Example which is how I've constructed my feedback:
    ---
    I've tried to keep my post mostly constructive, I suspect what 95% don't like, is having Welcome Page bound to Main Menu every time you hit ESC. I believe if they just fixed that one thing alone, 95% of people would likely welcome the change.

Still it might just be easier to update Landing Page to re-utilize HAIL option on minimap, it has far more INFO than the current Landing Page, including the Calendar just like Neverwinter's Landing Page. It also already has a button on Minimap and wouldn't require another one - if you wanted to view it again separate from MAIN MENU.

o:)

Our new Landing Page only has:
    ▪ Featured Episode
    ▪ Infinity Lockbox Returns & Link to Buy Keys
    ▪ Spotlight - Romulan Imperial Mindfield
    ▪ What's new in STO 14.5 & Link to What's New.
    ▪ Later Landing Page is bound to Main Menu and shouldn't be (Neverwinter's is not):
    ╘ Rearrange HUD, Options, Chat Settings, Change Character, Logout or Exit

Revisit Landing Page to Integrate HAIL Button on Minimap (Better Landing Page):
    ▪ Calendar (More Prominent Color to stand out) the Neverwinter Landing Page also as Calendar similar to our Hail.
    ▪ Featured Series / Events -- with left / right scroll of 3 options.
    ╘ Features Series (aka Renegades Regret) Play Now
    ╘ Also shows Delta Recruit as Ongoing Long Term as 2 month ongoing events in middle.
    ╘ Also shows Mirror Invasion as 2 week ongoing event on right.
    ▪ Overview shows: Current Primary Mission in Journal, Episode Highlights, Foundry Highlights, Select PvE / PvP Queues.
    ▪ Episodes shows: Featured Episode, Faction specific Quests, Then Allied Specific Quests, Temporal Alliance Quests,...
    ▪ Available: All Daily Repeatable Quests.
    ▪ Foundry: (All Player Published Quests) with Spotlights, Browse All, etc..
    Only change needed - aside from open on first login / login.
    ▪ UPCOMING WEEKEND: Expand & rename to SENIOR OFFICER REPORTS: with left/right scroll.
    ╘ 'Flash Sales' posted the day they start &/or end - for things like Services, Items, or others...
    ╘ Infinity Lockbox Returns, along with Reward Highlights, with similar CSTORE Link.
    ╘═ Perhaps option to claim 40% off single KEY purchase (once per account) - during each lockbox change.
    ╘ 'Upcoming Weekend' for Bonus Marks, or whatever...
    ╘ Or various story's, promotions or various news taken off the website like:
    https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10896394
    Unbind it from MAIN MENU - as it would be available from HAIL button afterward.

---

Still I think everyone deserve's to be heard, and nothing wrong with saying you don't like it, yet try to focus on how you would TRY to improve it...

@ambassadorkael#6946
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    If people are too blind not to see the news on the launcher, they're not gonna see anything on the outdated-on-launch landing page.

I think that's rather beside the point (and a bit insensitive to players who miss information displayed in 1. a rotation and 2. on a small list on a launcher who's main function is to pass the players onto something else. Ie. the game.) The launcher just links to the website. It can't link to any in-game content. A welcome page can. Ergo, a welcome page (of some kind) is a better (ie. capable of performing functions beyond the scope of the alternative) solution to help the general community connect to the latest content. You can plug them straight into it, not just into supplemental reading.
    strathkin wrote: »

Still it might just be easier to update Landing Page to re-utilize HAIL option on minimap, it has far more INFO than the current Landing Page, including the Calendar just like Neverwinter's Landing Page. It also already has a button on Minimap and wouldn't require another one - if you wanted to view it again separate from MAIN MENU.

Great overview, much appreciated take on the thread. I'll couple things onto the pile.

1: (fairly straight forward) update to the PVE listing on the main journal page to display the most recent queue as opposed to generic art, satisfying that function from the landing page.

2: move stuff around and rescale journal buttons to better perform the function of a welcome page. For example: enlarge the scrolling banner (presently at the left and very easily overlooked) and place the content buttons (missions, PVE's, Foundry, PVP) in a somewhat smaller but still prominent series of buttons at the top.
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    I don't mind a dialog popping up but the new landing page as you log in that hides the entire HUD had me thinking the game was completely broken when I first saw it. I don't really care for the presentation of this new landing page. Also the ESC menu doesn't need to have all that on it either. A button at the top with "What's New" was good enough.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • Options
    postagepaidpostagepaid Member Posts: 2,899 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    YBWyACJ.png
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • Options
    ethoirethoir Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    I would like to see an opt-out option so I won't be seeing it when I log-in (even once a day). I get most of my news updates through the game's launcher/patcher. You know, that old thing we had to use before STO became available on Steam/Arc.

But knowing Cryptic, they're not going to do that because they need a way to advertise this stuff and remind players about available "content" (Zen store insert and all).

If they made it less obnoxious and intrusive, I'd be less annoyed by it. At least remove it from the "ESC" main menu. I can only cross my fingers at this point.
  • Options
    velquavelqua Member Posts: 1,220 Arc User
    Can we please have the option, with in the game settings, to either have the splash screen on or off? Personally, I find it annoying while switching between multiple characters. It's an unnecessary gate and extra click in my opinion, but I do recognize that some people may like its functionality.
    18662390068_f716cd60e3.jpg
  • Options
    davefenestratordavefenestrator Member Posts: 10,512 Arc User
    The multiple appearances is a bug, it's been covered in several existing threads already including the sticky thread at the top of this subforum: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1240061/official-landing-page-feedback-thread#latest

You'll only get the new version of the ESC key menu once the bug is fixed, not the second screen when the new character loads.
  • Options
    rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 58,018 Community Moderator
    velqua wrote: »
    Can we please have the option, with in the game settings, to either have the splash screen on or off? Personally, I find it annoying while switching between multiple characters. It's an unnecessary gate and extra click in my opinion, but I do recognize that some people may like its functionality.

Technically you dnon't even need to click the X. Just hit escape and boom! You are in.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • Options
    strathkinstrathkin Member Posts: 2,666 Bug Hunter
    edited May 2018
    velqua wrote: »

Hello velqua aside from the feedback I provided above. I think or hope we'll only be seeing it on the first login of the day - much more similar to how Neverwinter had done. Neverwinter also does not bind the Landing Page to the MAIN MENU either, so you wouldn't be seeing it each time you wanted Options, Change Character or on selecting Escape / ESC.

*fingers crossed*

But if they used HAIL that's already a much nicer Landing Page, and already has a Minimap button to reload it, when you want to see things to do or read about. :)
    Post edited by strathkin on
    0zxlclk.png
  • Options
    ethoirethoir Member Posts: 122 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    I thought about it a little bit and I decided to put together a mock-up of how much less intrusive I think the landing page could be. This is a rough mockup, but I think it helps get the point across that smaller can be better. It should also obey the user's UI scaling settings.

M1sApjb.png

I also think it could be further tweaked to appear only when a new lockbox is released, a new event is running (seasonal, or otherwise), a new zen store sale is announced, and when a new season is released. So on paper the most you'd see the landing page is maybe once or twice a month.

This is only my opinion and feedback on the landing page.
  • Options
    ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    just incase anybody misses the patch notes. Landing page will not be not fixed this week
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • Options
    pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,177 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Is that really surprising? If they were even the slightest bit concerned about annoying the players, then it would have been at least disabled a couple of patches ago. [/quote]
    What I find odd is the devs are asking on Twitter about retention and what keeps players playing and they don't seem to realise that the frustration they are causing by badly designed new systems like the horrible new queue UI or this splash page is what is causing them to lose retention.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Is that really surprising? If they were even the slightest bit concerned about annoying the players, then it would have been at least disabled a couple of patches ago. [/quote]
    Seriously? It didn't even exist a couple of patches ago. :disappointed:
  • Options
    disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    I can only hope that the last two patches have only had Nvidia fixes because it's just that difficult of a bug to fix, and they need to put all of their resources into making sure it doesn't break something else when they try to fix it. After all, they've managed to break Ferasan fur patterns when they fixed that same item on Caitians just a little while ago, maybe spaghetti code is a bit nore convoluted than we thought.

I do wonder if they've somehow managed to avoid realising exactly how annoying the landing page is, rather than choose to do nothing about it. Normally they're quite good about this sort of thing
  • Options
    alexanderb#7559 alexanderb Member Posts: 188 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    (Trolling comments moderated out. - BMR)

I don't think the crashing is limited to NVIDIA graphic cards, it's the 64 bit version of the game is crashing on my PC aswell, which has a Radeon graphics card. I can use the 32 bit version without problem though.
  • Options
    kronin#4685 kronin Member Posts: 325 Arc User
    It's been two patches since the landing page arrived. As long as the bug is still present, then all complaints about said bug are legitimate. And yes, now I am finally talking about the bug. I still present to the devs that even when/if the bug is fixed that the landing page will still prove to be very unpopular. Nothing has been said or done to change any of the comments I have made so far.
  • Options
    dracounguisdracounguis Member Posts: 5,358 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    fAKPYlv.png
  • Options
    daciaeternadaciaeterna Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    YBWyACJ.png
  • Options
    humblesheephumblesheep Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    2nd UPDATE and NO fix...

I'm Very Disappointed, It feels like they don't care at all about our views and opinions.
  • Options
    duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    YBWyACJ.png

Provided that implementation is thoroughly carried out. What you don't want is a dev taking a hatchet to "unwanted features" (on a timetable set by the internet) and potentially ruining other key systems through more and more extreme bugs.

Rule of thumb: how long a bug fix takes is dependent not on how angry we are but the full technical circumstances of that bug. Our emotions can only shift the bug and other associated landing page changes up and down the priorities list. And you can be pretty sure that this is up there. But even still, there's real work that needs to be done and a set minimum time that can be accomplished in. Apparently, it needs more time. So, we're going to have to wait a bit longer.
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • Options
    disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    Something to note. Everyone has been arguing for the landing page because it'll help people find out about flash sales that "many people" are supposedly missing.

It seems odd, then, that the only positive anyone has argued the landing page brings ISN'T EVEN TRUE. The landing page makes absolutely no mention of the currently ongoing flash sale for keys, and instead still drones on about the same content that was listed during its launch.

The landing page is irredeemable and, as we have all clearly seen, is driving players away (Regardless of how...reasonable these people are being, it is still something to note). Two updates have passed and it still has not been updated to fix the bugs it came with on launch, saying nothing of its actual design problems.
  • Options
    warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    A few forum posters making a mountain out of a molehill is not going to turn a landing page appearing a bit more often than planned into the subject of emergency patching.
  • Options
    protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,985 Arc User
    Something to note. Everyone has been arguing for the landing page because it'll help people find out about flash sales that "many people" are supposedly missing.

It seems odd, then, that the only positive anyone has argued the landing page brings ISN'T EVEN TRUE. The landing page makes absolutely no mention of the currently ongoing flash sale for keys, and instead still drones on about the same content that was listed during its launch.

The landing page is irredeemable and, as we have all clearly seen, is driving players away (Regardless of how...reasonable these people are being, it is still something to note). Two updates have passed and it still has not been updated to fix the bugs it came with on launch, saying nothing of its actual design problems.
    I honestly doubt that the new landing page will ever be dynamically update-able and think this is nothing more than wishful thinking. At best it'll get updated each patch. Hopefully I'll be proven wrong or any perceived value it has (for some) is even more diminished.

Still finding it hard to understand why something that's broken isn't temporarily taken out of game but remain of the opinion it's just to get players accustomed to something new.