test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Deep Space Nine Gets a New Exterior As Well

ambassadorkael#6946 ambassadorkael Member, Administrator Posts: 2,673 Community Manager
Courtesy of 3D Modeler Tobias Richter, who created the Enterprise D when TNG went into HD, has created a brand new exterior model for Deep Space Nine in STO:

https://www.arcgames.com/en/games/star-trek-online/news/detail/10901263

Comments

• arkangel11004arkangel11004 Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Very Nice. I was wondering if we would get an updated Exterior Model as well with this Expansion. I am glad to see that realized here. As to the design, Cardassian works always appeared very uniform and militaristic, much like their society was. That elements were reused to complete the picture doesn't surprise me. Nevertheless, the seamless look we end up with flows well and looks impressive. Thank You for the work put in on this, can't wait to see it in-game... And Thank You Kael, for conducting these behind-the-scenes interviews.
  • uncharted2420uncharted2420 Member Posts: 25 Arc User
    Very Nice. I was wondering if we would get an updated Exterior Model as well with this Expansion. I am glad to see that realized here. As to the design, Cardassian works always appeared very uniform and militaristic, much like their society was. That elements were reused to complete the picture doesn't surprise me. Nevertheless, the seamless look we end up with flows well and looks impressive. Thank You for the work put in on this, can't wait to see it in-game... And Thank You Kael, for conducting these behind-the-scenes interviews.

Again with the Nor class starbase... I thought for once they would show it with the Frontier class starbase like from the books but I guess that was too difficult for them to do so. Only so many times you can reinvent something before it fails completely. Just ONCE would it kill them to go with the DS9 in the books?
  • nommo#5819 nommo Member Posts: 1,105 Arc User
    it appears very VERY well done. Looking extremely forward to viewing & exploring the outside & the inside of this new DS9 design.
  • captainhunter1captainhunter1 Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    Cool article.

Hopefully we will get to see a revamped ship parking arrangement around the new model. i.e. using the Docking Ring for docking (placing small and medium ship around the entire outside of the docking ring, while large ships (like Enterprise D) are placed at both the upper and lower pylons). This would really be much more immersive/screen accurate AND from a game standpoint, alleviate the huge cluster of ships currently getting jammed between the upper pylons only. :)
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    be nice if you had before and after pics... /shrug
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    The size stays the same, I presume?

Yes, confirmed on Reddit. They had to change the station's size in every instance it appears which is too much effort for now.

EDIT: Here's @tacofangs on Reddit:

Scale has not changed.

While we'd like to do so, we don't want to create further inconsistencies by having it only scaled down in new content or whatever. We need to make a full pass through everywhere the exterior is used, and have them all at the same size. That would take time we don't have right now. Maybe in the future.
    ​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • arkangel11004arkangel11004 Member Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited May 2018

Again with the Nor class starbase... I thought for once they would show it with the Frontier class starbase like from the books but I guess that was too difficult for them to do so. Only so many times you can reinvent something before it fails completely. Just ONCE would it kill them to go with the DS9 in the books?

Yeah, I can understand that quite a few people would like to see that. I have in fact, seen many comments to that effect in various locations. That said, the books simply do not have the same level of following that the shows do, and getting the rights for using book material in-game is a little more difficult, since the rights lay in the hands of original authors, rather than CBS or Paramount. In general, STO's aims appear to be realizing what we've seen on the shows in full 3D spaces. Too much deviation from that, and complexity in terms of rights increases, while majority fanbase contented-ness? decreases. If you are unfamiliar with the station, you don't get the same enjoyment out of it..

Truthfully, I think the majority STO's fan-base want Terok Nor, rather than a Frontier class base. Also a Frontier exterior, requires a Frontier interior. Not enough data currently exists to get a good idea of what that would look like. Terok Nor is old nevertheless, and I could see an excuse for eventually just replacing the whole thing altogether. Also, seeing as though it's the same DS9 the show characters left, nostalgic feelings are able to be played on for them now story-wise.

The other problem with the books is their.. questionable canonical status. STO likes to pick-up story lines that show episodes left hanging. Quite a few of the books do this also as it helps tie it all together. The problem is the books both close story lines otherwise available for use by STO, and for those who have never read the books, they are blindsided by an event that may have happened in one of them. I wasn't around for the initial inclusion of the Vesta-class and thus the USS Aventine, but the Destiny Novels would have the Borg destroyed in 2381. Obviously that hasn't happened here, and so only part of the setting was borrowed..

So altogether, I think It's more difficult and thus, less likely that we will see much, if any, more book content for quite some time. That said, I personally prefer Terok Nor's DS9 anyway, but I can also understand where others desire to see more book content..
  • phoenix841phoenix841 Member Posts: 486 Arc User
    T: In our high-res model, we built a low-res promenade behind the large windows in the center region. We thought about putting that into the game-model as well, but the station is already at a rather high polycount - and you would need to get really close to be able to see anything, so unfortunately we decided against it.
    What about the mission Boldly They Rode, where you can see the interior promenade? Will that be updated to the new model?
    LTS Since Beta (Jan 2010).
  • herrgis#1415 herrgis Member Posts: 76 Arc User
    What about the mission Boldly They Rode, where you can see the interior promenade? Will that be updated to the new model?[/quote]

STO provided a preview of the new DS9 interior here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gbIsNQX5mk

It covers the interior promenade, Quark's Bar, a number of key DS9 stores and of course the Security office.
    All have been updated to more closely reflect the interiors seen in the show (and expand previously unseen areas).

Overall - very cool and it shows a very high dedication to detail.
    You need to think of Star Trek Online as a marathon, not a sprint. Senlac t'Karveth
    Sometimes the Universe allows for the making of unexpected memories. Philippa Georgiou
    No matter your shame, gather your strength. Find a way to help those in need. Sarek of Vulcan
  • samborski#4611 samborski Member Posts: 32 Arc User

Why???? Just ... why??? Why would you prefer that crappy looking space snowflake over the original ds9 station from the show we all (well, most of us) know and love???? J... some people can never be statisfied...
  • captaincelestialcaptaincelestial Member Posts: 1,925 Arc User
    angrytarg wrote: »
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    The size stays the same, I presume?

Yes, confirmed on Reddit. They had to change the station's size in every instance it appears which is too much effort for now.

EDIT: Here's @tacofangs on Reddit:

Scale has not changed.

While we'd like to do so, we don't want to create further inconsistencies by having it only scaled down in new content or whatever. We need to make a full pass through everywhere the exterior is used, and have them all at the same size. That would take time we don't have right now. Maybe in the future.
    ​​

Here's to the future! :)
  • psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,644 Arc User
    I've seen many examples of Tobias Richter's work over the years. Even before he was professionally attached to Trek. Those are some mad skills. He has passion for the Klingon K't'inga Battlecruiser as no other artist does. Perhaps we might benefit from those efforts in the future?
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
    edited May 2018
    Forums acting weird and not showing my own posts. Ignore this.
    Post edited by phoenix841 on
    edited May 2018
    phoenix841 wrote: »
    What about the mission Boldly They Rode, where you can see the interior promenade? Will that be updated to the new model?

STO provided a preview of the new DS9 interior here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gbIsNQX5mk

It covers the interior promenade, Quark's Bar, a number of key DS9 stores and of course the Security office.
    All have been updated to more closely reflect the interiors seen in the show (and expand previously unseen areas).

Overall - very cool and it shows a very high dedication to detail.

What I mean specifically, is the part where you are spacewalking on the hull, and you can see the interior when looking at the force field where the hull breach is while you are outside (the same force field you can power-cycle when you are inside).
  • megamanx82megamanx82 Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    Will we be able to visit Vic's Holo Lounge?
    ds9-baddabingbaddabang46a.jpg?w=640

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    edited May 2018

Why???? Just ... why??? Why would you prefer that crappy looking space snowflake over the original ds9 station from the show we all (well, most of us) know and love???? J... some people can never be statisfied...

original ds9 makes no sense as space station... those towers/pylons are all uniform in size and they are curve inward... I assume they attach to ships each... so they all attach to a ship all pushed to the interior of the center and all at the same height... yeah accident waiting to happen.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User

I would have preferred that as well. All of this amazing work though could have went into making it the perfect home for a Cardassian faction. Yeah... Definitely disappointed that isn't happening also.
  • mikoto8472mikoto8472 Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    I admit I'm pleased they're keeping the old Terok Nor look. I've seen enough standard Starfleet Interiors and whatnot. That being said I'd have loved to see the Cardassians reclaim and restore Empok Nor to go along with them being included as a playable race.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    mikoto8472 wrote: »
    I admit I'm pleased they're keeping the old Terok Nor look. I've seen enough standard Starfleet Interiors and whatnot. That being said I'd have loved to see the Cardassians reclaim and restore Empok Nor to go along with them being included as a playable race.

Yes! I want it turned back into a mining station where Bajoran's work hard to process my Dilithium Ore! :D
  • zedbrightlander1zedbrightlander1 Member Posts: 14,762 Arc User
    Okay, so if any of you guys with great systems manage a great cap of the new DS9, please remember to post them to the EPIC Screenshot Thread is EPIC.
    f5cc65bc8f3b91f963e328314df7c48d.jpg
    Sig? What sig? I don't see any sig.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User

I don't get it either. Especially because the design they chose makes basically no sense, because it replicates DS9's Cardassian architecture, instead of looking like something Starfleet or the Federation would build.
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.