test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

So is there nay reason to not play a Romulan now?

Comments

• jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    redvenge wrote: »
    I don't suppose the Klingons and Federation could acquire Romulan schematics and/or manned ships as part of this exchange program, hmm?
    No. If the Scimitar line of warbirds was available to Starfleet characters, it would lower sales of the Vengance (a "premium" ship).
    If this were the case (something of which I am not convinced), the difference would perforce be made up in sales of Scimitar ships - they're not free, after all.

On the other hand, it would be kind of cool if my Fed captains, after reaching lvl 11 of course, could then get, say, a Dhalen-class warbird, with its battle cloak... :sunglasses:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    tigeraries wrote: »
    [[...]
    hmmm I thought you couldnt unless they bugged that. Cause Tovan is built into the story.
    You cannot drop the Tovan candidate, bu you are no longer forced to commission him. IF you skip the tutorial.

That "you cannot because it breaks the game" nonsense was never plausible, and I believe the devs actually did never state that anyway.
    Actually, they did. The simple fact you still can't drop him would say it's plausible.
    Honestly, simply having the wrong NPC appear in a dialog box counts as "breaking the game". Obviously it's minor, and some might prefer it, but it's still "breaking the game".
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    It kinda does water down the difference to mere preference. Without knowing what the Jems offer, this decision means Roms are the most efficient choice, bar none. So you either want to play the game in as cold and pragmatic a way as you can, or you actually value flavor and want to have your Fed or KDF crew in their respective factions.

Frankly I'm more concerned about the future prospects of Romulan ship releases, though. Opening the floodgates on faction allied ships means there isn't a reason anymore to make Romulan counterparts to Fed/KDF ships at all.

What's worse, when you think about it from a pure efficiency standpoint, it's a perfectly logical move. They've got four factions now, each thematically requiring their own ships at endgame*. The time to takes to make ships for three factions must already be high. There's no way they'll want to have to do 12-packs of ships for each faction. With allied ships opened up, they can pick and choose - Fed and KDF both get one always, but sometimes they might release a Jem ship as the third, and other times maybe a Rom ship. The pessimist in me suspects, however, that they'll drop Rom ships entirely for at least a year, if not longer, since they'll just be able to use new Fed/KDF ships anyway.

*TOS is a tricky thing, but my rationale, and I suspect Cryptic's as well, is they're just Feds anyway so outside their initial batch of ships, there's no reason to make anything new strictly for them. Jem'Hadar don't have that neat little excuse to avoid making ships in the future, though.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    Roms can fly any ship in thier faction now... a T6 Defiant with battle cloak and BOFFs all SRO..

Interesting... I have more or less taken a break from STO over the past 2 weeks so this is news to me. I guess this means my Romulans / Remans can select used T5 and T6 Fed / KDF ships for admiralty.
  • avoozuulavoozuul Member Posts: 3,196 Arc User
    Romulan is the only other faction I would play besides Federation.
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    I can name a reason not to just play Romulans.

Fun.

Not everyone does number crunching min/max.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    azrael605 wrote: »
    Notice that first line, "All Allied Ships Except"

Actually, I totally missed that.. thanks. :)
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    sophlogimo wrote: »
    [[...]
    hmmm I thought you couldnt unless they bugged that. Cause Tovan is built into the story.
    You cannot drop the Tovan candidate, bu you are no longer forced to commission him. IF you skip the tutorial.

That "you cannot because it breaks the game" nonsense was never plausible, and I believe the devs actually did never state that anyway.
    Actually, they did. The simple fact you still can't drop him would say it's plausible.
    Honestly, simply having the wrong NPC appear in a dialog box counts as "breaking the game". Obviously it's minor, and some might prefer it, but it's still "breaking the game".
    No, it's not. It's a cosmetic glitch that affects nothing of import.
  • byozuma#0956 byozuma Member Posts: 502 Arc User
    Some would say the same of cameras clipping into PC and NPC heads during cutscenes were also a cosmetic glitch, cause there's nothing game breaking about being able to see eyeballs and teeth during a calm conversation on New Romulus.
    oldracesbanner.jpg
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    rattler2 wrote: »
    I can name a reason not to just play Romulans.

Fun.

Not everyone does number crunching min/max.
    What do you think this is, a game??? This is SRS BZNSS!!!! No fun-having allowed, only minmaxing!! :angry:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • harlequinpixieharlequinpixie Member Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Always played Romulans myself, since they came out that is. And it won't make me change what ships they fly, as most stick to Romulan ships, other than one which has a lockbox ship. Either way, it'll be nice to have more admiralty ships, seeing as most of my Romulans lack engineering ships.

Warbirds look way better than Federation ships in my own opinion.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    And if you look at it from another standpoint..... isn't it silly that the Feds or KDF can "capture"/buy/repurpose just about any alien race's ships (even Undine bioships and Iconian crystal sculptures), but they somehow can't fly a Scimmy/D'd/etc? Or heck, even the other main faction's ships.

Yes, "faction diversity", gameplay, etc. But what rationale is there that a KDF can fly a bioship, an Iconian cruiser, a Cardassian Galor, Elachi, APU, Hirogen, Malon, Vaadwaur, Son'a, Voth, Jem'hadar, Tholian, Sphere Builder, Xindi, Breen (you get the idea).... but can't beg/borrow/steal/salvage/etc a Fed or Rom ship?

...we've certainly left a big enough trail of blasted ship carcasses behind us in space, for some enterprising salvage yard to go into business selling enemy ships.

...hmm, come to think of it, shouldn't the Temporal repair guys come and tap you on the shoulder for cruising around in 31st century ships like the Ent-J? :D

Answer: stop asking these questions, it's just a game! o:)
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    jonsills wrote: »
    What do you think this is, a game??? This is SRS BZNSS!!!! No fun-having allowed, only minmaxing!! :angry:

Pokemon-Its-Serious-Business_o_98407.jpg
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    Ah, Pokemon. Dog fighting, with rare wild animals, marketed to children. o:)
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    RE: SO IS THERE ANY REASON TO NOT PLAY A ROMULAN NOW?

YES....when you figure out that the Jem'hadar Faction is more OP.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • wylonuswylonus Member Posts: 471 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    just to mentioned, why Tovan isnt purple grade officer?, my liberated borg got few purple grade officers in beginning of starting story.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    It really does beg the question of the 'faction' purpose doesn't it? They (Cryptic) might as well revisit the faction element of their game; provide each core species with an origin story (of sorts) and then just merge everyone; one faction, one fleet, one purpose.

This completely goes against the dynamics of the Federation though I think? Starfleet allowing a non-Federation faction use of their top range designs, weaponry and various other technologies? Yeah, cause that's likely, isn't it? Why doesn't this work both ways though?

I suspect we all know why this is; the Cardassian species are getting the lazy treatment, and by allowing Fedpublic players and Klingonlic players access to Federation and Klingon ships, they don't need to create any new Republic ships. Yet another finger to the half faction progress.

I'm (unfortunately) glad I'm no longer a STO player.
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    I am not going to feel any more Rom inclined than I am already (which is roughly "1 of my next 3 toons, if I ever make any, may be Rom") and will play my Feds as Feds and my Roms as Roms, but I still think, despite all "it's not only numbers crunching", "nothing is taken from Feds/KDFs", "Scimi is already the best ship, so why switch", and "it's only an option you can simply ignore", which of course are all correct, I still think it is questionable design to give one race/class/whatever access to all abilities (or ships, in this case) of the other classes without any obvious drawback.
    ship traits? but yeah once done you go back to a scim.

I thought many of them were already account unlocks?! May be mistaken here.
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    flash525 wrote: »
    It really does beg the question of the 'faction' purpose doesn't it? They (Cryptic) might as well revisit the faction element of their game; provide each core species with an origin story (of sorts) and then just merge everyone; one faction, one fleet, one purpose.

This completely goes against the dynamics of the Federation though I think? Starfleet allowing a non-Federation faction use of their top range designs, weaponry and various other technologies? Yeah, cause that's likely, isn't it? Why doesn't this work both ways though?

I suspect we all know why this is; the Cardassian species are getting the lazy treatment, and by allowing Fedpublic players and Klingonlic players access to Federation and Klingon ships, they don't need to create any new Republic ships. Yet another finger to the half faction progress.

I'm (unfortunately) glad I'm no longer a STO player.

If you no longer play then your opinion has no value.

*raises hand* I didn't play for more than two years after "Sunrise" because, well, look at my sigpic. It was the Bajoran interceptor that got me to play again. So, bad argument.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sjzk0CyqNEI
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    I often wonder why those who no longer play the game continue to troll the forum. :confused:
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User
    I often wonder why those who no longer play the game continue to troll the forum. :confused:

Some hope the game gets better maybe. Others just use it as an outlet to vent frustrations I'm guessing.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    nimbull wrote: »

Some hope the game gets better maybe. Others just use it as an outlet to vent frustrations I'm guessing.

This. I keep seeing these "if you hate the game so much why are you still here?" non-arguments, and my answer to them is always the same: I don't hate the game but I think it could be a hell of a lot better if more thought was put into it.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • smooshy#7462 smooshy Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    Science Scimitar with Elite Scorpions, at long last, let me introduce you to the Jupiter trait.
  • jabofneurospinejabofneurospine Member Posts: 61 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    > @smooshy#7462 said:
    > Science Scimitar with Elite Scorpions, at long last, let me introduce you to the Jupiter trait.

If you get the trait on a federation character you can claim it on your klingon and romulan characters through the dil store.

Edit:(Why on earth are quotes formatted differently when posted from mobile?)
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    If you no longer play then your opinion has no value.
    Oh how incorrect you are. Anyone who has invested, or who still invests in this game - or even people who are thinking about doing have a valid opinion. It may not be one that you agree with, but that's the genius of opinions - they're individually applied, and they don't require other people to value, agree, or disagree with them.

attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222