test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Landing Page Feedback Thread

Comments

• protoneousprotoneous Member Posts: 2,952 Arc User
    jcsww wrote: »
    They aren't working on it fast enough! It should have been disabled with today's patch until they fix it instead of leaving it there until they get around to fixing it, which could be a few months.
    They probably could have just shut the darned thing off this patch if they really wanted to. They've taken the game down temporarily mid-day before for quick fixes. The marketing department probably decided to leave it up to psychologically condition you to seeing it so often so you'll feel better about it when they finally get around to making their adjustment. I think it's currently working as intended despite claims to the contrary.

• duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    protoneous wrote: »
    They probably could have just shut the darned thing off this patch if they really wanted to. They've taken the game down temporarily mid-day before for quick fixes. The marketing department probably decided to leave it up to psychologically condition you to seeing it so often so you'll feel better about it when they finally get around to making their adjustment. I think it's currently working as intended despite claims to the contrary.

Provide a citation to real evidence or wear this tin foil hat with pride.
    th?id=OIP.Ki4C9Gn49WzLhrCZMU9ykwDjEs&pid=Api
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
    Provide a citation to real evidence or wear this tin foil hat with pride.
    Surely you don't believe everything you're told?

I'm merely presenting an alternate point of view. Normally the longer the post or the larger the photo posted in response the closer one is to the truth :wink: (especially when people start asking for citations)

edited May 2018

I'm merely presenting an alternate point of view. Normally the longer the post or the larger the photo posted in response the closer one is to the truth :wink: (especially when people start asking for citations)

Here's your tin foil hat, wear it with pride.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • rattler2rattler2 Member Posts: 57,973 Community Moderator
    45cd6e301a2d344406776d9259eeb3d2.jpg

Not everything has to be some deep, dark, marketing conspiracy.
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
    edited May 2018
    rattler2 wrote: »

Says the person who has put a tin foil hat on a cat. YOU KNOW THAT AMPLIFIES THEIR...

Fancy feast is good. I shall prepare din dins.
    Says the person who has put a tin foil hat on a cat. YOU KNOW THAT AMPLIFIES THEIR...

Fancy feast is good. I shall prepare din dins.

bahahahahaaa__rainbow_dash_laugh_by_misteralex-d515muw.gif
    db80k0m-89201ed8-eadb-45d3-830f-bb2f0d4c0fe7.png?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7InBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcL2ExOGQ4ZWM2LTUyZjQtNDdiMS05YTI1LTVlYmZkYmJkOGM3N1wvZGI4MGswbS04OTIwMWVkOC1lYWRiLTQ1ZDMtODMwZi1iYjJmMGQ0YzBmZTcucG5nIn1dXSwiYXVkIjpbInVybjpzZXJ2aWNlOmZpbGUuZG93bmxvYWQiXX0.8G-Pg35Qi8qxiKLjAofaKRH6fmNH3qAAEI628gW0eXc
    I can't take it anymore! Could everyone just chill out for two seconds before something CRAZY happens again?!
    The nut who actually ground out many packs. The resident forum voice of reason (I HAZ FORUM REP! YAY!)
  • kodachikunokodachikuno Member Posts: 6,020 Arc User1
    impressive, you managed a popup more annoying than old philip crey

Here's your tin foil hat, wear it with pride.
    You probably think the dramatic increase in enemy difficulty and hit points that came with DR was just a mistake as well. Learn to recognize when you're being manipulated via game design or marketing.
    rattler2 wrote: »
    Exactly. They're usually referred to as "common industry practices".

You probably think the dramatic increase in enemy difficulty and hit points that came with DR was just a mistake as well. Learn to recognize when you're being manipulated via game design or marketing.

That was actually a case of them trying to rebalance the game around what the top DPSers were capable of at the time. Didn't work out so well.
  • locutusofcactuslocutusofcactus Member Posts: 651 Arc User
    I don't think there's ever been a more appropriate time for this gif:

BowedSatisfiedGangesdolphin-size_restricted.gif
  • vorwodavorwoda Member Posts: 694 Arc User
    I simply don't see why it was added or what "value" it's supposed to have. Isn't this exactly what the spam on the Launcher is for? We already have a "Landing Page" - the Launcher. A second one is totally unnecessary.

And PLEASE remove it from the Main Menu. If I'm switching options, HUD items or characters, I'm not going to be clicking on spam I already saw when I logged in in the first place.

An option to completely disable it would be even better.
  • ussvaliant#6064 ussvaliant Member Posts: 1,006 Arc User
    I'm starting to wonder if this popping up on every login is a genuine bug or this is a repeat of the Queue UI revamp where a update to the UI has been rushed to Live server before it was finished and we will be have to wait for trickles of updates made to it over the coming months to make more manageable.

And the Bug statement is damage limitation as they make those updates.

I mean this landing page has been added to the game for 1 real reason only and its not to help or highlight features of the game, but to help people find their way into the C-Store. Why would they want this to only pop up once a day that can be exited with a quick esc button press and then for the rest of that day no one sees the marketing coaxing you towards the C-Store ?.

I will say It's already affecting my playtime as cycling through my 28 toons and having this pop up in my face every logon/character change is putting me off logging into the game. This is a bad thing for Cryptic. Why ? the less time i'm in the game the less invested I am, because i'm less invested and interested in playing, i'm not likely to buy anything as i'm not investing enough hours to justify spending money on a lavish new T6 Ship or gamble on a lockbox ect.

Whatever the issue is Bug or a rush job unfinished release they need to sort it quickly.

All 28 characters of mine as an example

1. Fly different ships. That's minimum 28 T6 C-Store purchases (I won't include lockbox/promo/lobi ships)
    2. Every character has at least 1 lobi console
    3. Every characters ship weapons and consoles are MK XIV Epic
    4. Every character has MK XIV Epic ground gear.

Now i'm no whale and I've not posted that info to show off or boast I had to earn it all. I posted it as right now this Landing Page is discouraging me from wanting to login and play the game. Does Cryptic want or can Cryptic afford to lose Players like myself who are clearly invested in the game for a cheap marketing ploy to coax F2P customers into the C-Store ?. Something that the game launcher can do perfectly well.
    maR4zDV.jpg

Hello rubber banding my old friend, time to bounce around the battlezone again, where are all my bug reports going?, out of love with this game I am falling, As Cryptic fail to acknowledge a problem exists, Shakes an angry fist, And from Support all I'm hearing are the sounds of silence.
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    They aren't working on it fast enough! It should have been disabled with today's patch until they fix it instead of leaving it there until they get around to fixing it, which could be a few months.

Exactly! It reminds me of the time they thought piping ads through the games voice chat system was a good idea. What made that even worse was, even lifers and subscribers were spammed with ads! I still haven't used in-game voice chat since.
  • zuigje010zuigje010 Member Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    YBWyACJ.png
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
  • daciaeternadaciaeterna Member Posts: 219 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    YBWyACJ.png
    Post edited by baddmoonrizin on
    edited May 2018
    Folks, it's a bug. Speculation to the contrary is circular and thereby meaningless.

Stay classy, move on.
    vorwoda wrote: »
    I simply don't see why it was added or what "value" it's supposed to have. Isn't this exactly what the spam on the Launcher is for?

Launcher doesn't link player directly to in-game content. It's just a link to the website. If someone doesn't feel like delving into that (which describes most gamers in one instance or another) then launcher links are simply noise. In-game landing pages are a much more direct and effective way of keeping everyone up to date. It delivers you immediately to an item of interest and can be made to display that information without compromising the function of another UI (ie. the one you launch the game with.)

There's potential in the landing page but there's also a definite bug to work out (activating per character) and room for improvement. For example: incorporate the landing page with the front page of the mission journal [they kinda do the same thing], remove it from the ESC menu (provided the main journal page becomes the landing page), add more features, and add an opt-out for the log-in pop up. There's doubtless more we could cover, so shout out if you have any other ideas (besides GET RID OF IT, that's registered feedback and can be taken as read.)
  • xindax76xindax76 Member Posts: 44 Arc User
    I simply don't see why it was added or what "value" it's supposed to have. Isn't this exactly what the spam on the Launcher is for? We already have a "Landing Page" - the Launcher. A second one is totally unnecessary.

And PLEASE remove it from the Main Menu. If I'm switching options, HUD items or characters, I'm not going to be clicking on spam I already saw when I logged in in the first place.

An option to completely disable it would be even better.

I agree with You.
    Cryptic/PWE should give option to disable this or they should disable.
    I use only website or launcher to see what's new. What for I need this annoying Landing Page?

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    Folks, it's a bug. Speculation to the contrary is circular and thereby meaningless
    Come on you know its more then just a bug. Even after the bug is fixed the current version is still going to be horrible and very badly designed. It needs to be 100% removed and redesigned.

• disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    I'll choose to believe Kael when he says that the harassment is a bug, but I still have my doubts, as do many others.

Of course, once the bug has been squashed, there's still the problem of it being a horribly designed, useless mess (Much like the new queue UI), that'll probably never see another necessary update past release like so many other systems in the game.

Examples currently include: Re-Engineering, the Phoenix Box, DOff-ing, the now defunct Gateway, and many, many more.
    edited May 2018
    pottsey5g wrote: »
    Folks, it's a bug. Speculation to the contrary is circular and thereby meaningless
    Come on you know its more then just a bug.

"Just a bug" is your projection onto this conversation. What I said (quite literally) is that there was a bug (in light of some very unproductive discussion). I also provided specific feedback for how the landing page could be redesigned.

What exactly is your issue (with my post) here? I understand you don't like the landing page, but where in my post did you find the reflex trigger to disagree with someone who was in fact supporting your ultimate point (the system needs to be changed, including an opt-out feature)? Is that really the best way to be trying to advocate change?

Ease up and think, the situation is eventually going to be okay but we can make now better by trying to stay civil and grounded.

Of course, once the bug has been squashed, there's still the problem of it being a horribly designed,

...yeah, that's why we've been providing specific feedback from a page one.
  • cross821cross821 Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    Most of the feedback is people want it gone or the power to turn it off. Its unneeded and worthless at the end of the day. If a player can't hit the J key see whats going on in game then they are to lazy to help.
    Folks, it's a bug. Speculation to the contrary is circular and thereby meaningless.

Stay classy, move on.
    I simply don't see why it was added or what "value" it's supposed to have. Isn't this exactly what the spam on the Launcher is for?

Launcher doesn't link player directly to in-game content. It's just a link to the website. If someone doesn't feel like delving into that (which describes most gamers in one instance or another) then launcher links are simply noise. In-game landing pages are a much more direct and effective way of keeping everyone up to date. It delivers you immediately to an item of interest and can be made to display that information without compromising the function of another UI (ie. the one you launch the game with.)

There's potential in the landing page but there's also a definite bug to work out (activating per character) and room for improvement. For example: incorporate the landing page with the front page of the mission journal [they kinda do the same thing], remove it from the ESC menu (provided the main journal page becomes the landing page), add more features, and add an opt-out for the log-in pop up. There's doubtless more we could cover, so shout out if you have any other ideas (besides GET RID OF IT, that's registered feedback and can be taken as read.)
    How about: turn it off now and field test it at a later date on Tribble? Then they could get some feedback over it's design in an appropriate forum.

I'd rather see them turn it off now than lose customers over it.

While commendable, you shouldn't have to do damage control for Cryptic. If this thread ends up being 25 pages long it would probably be a good thing with respect to feedback received. Try not to take it personal. It's not.
    I'm starting to wonder if this popping up on every login is a genuine bug or this is a repeat of the Queue UI revamp where a update to the UI has been rushed to Live server before it was finished and we will be have to wait for trickles of updates made to it over the coming months to make more manageable.

And the Bug statement is damage limitation as they make those updates.

I mean this landing page has been added to the game for 1 real reason only and its not to help or highlight features of the game, but to help people find their way into the C-Store. Why would they want this to only pop up once a day that can be exited with a quick esc button press and then for the rest of that day no one sees the marketing coaxing you towards the C-Store ?.

I will say It's already affecting my playtime as cycling through my 28 toons and having this pop up in my face every logon/character change is putting me off logging into the game. This is a bad thing for Cryptic. Why ? the less time i'm in the game the less invested I am, because i'm less invested and interested in playing, i'm not likely to buy anything as i'm not investing enough hours to justify spending money on a lavish new T6 Ship or gamble on a lockbox ect.

Whatever the issue is Bug or a rush job unfinished release they need to sort it quickly.

All 28 characters of mine as an example

1. Fly different ships. That's minimum 28 T6 C-Store purchases (I won't include lockbox/promo/lobi ships)
    2. Every character has at least 1 lobi console
    3. Every characters ship weapons and consoles are MK XIV Epic
    4. Every character has MK XIV Epic ground gear.

Now i'm no whale and I've not posted that info to show off or boast I had to earn it all. I posted it as right now this Landing Page is discouraging me from wanting to login and play the game. Does Cryptic want or can Cryptic afford to lose Players like myself who are clearly invested in the game for a cheap marketing ploy to coax F2P customers into the C-Store ?. Something that the game launcher can do perfectly well.
    We have a similar number of characters although for mine some space gear on junior toons is still at Mk XIV UR with apologies. I think you hit the nail on the head that the Bug statement is nothing more than damage control. It's all about the C-Store and yes, having it pop up once per day wouldn't make any sense from a marketing perspective.

(imho it's currently working as intended).

• pottsey5gpottsey5g Member Posts: 4,165 Arc User
    Come on you know its more then just a bug.

"Just a bug" is your projection onto this conversation. What I said (quite literally) is that there was a bug (in light of some very unproductive discussion). I also provided specific feedback for how the landing page could be redesigned.

What exactly is your issue (with my post) here? I understand you don't like the landing page, but where in my post did you find the reflex trigger to disagree with someone who was in fact supporting your ultimate point (the system needs to be changed, including an opt-out feature)? Is that really the best way to be trying to advocate change?

Ease up and think, the situation is eventually going to be okay but we can make now better by trying to stay civil and grounded.

Of course, once the bug has been squashed, there's still the problem of it being a horribly designed,

...yeah, that's why we've been providing specific feedback from a page one.
    You keep writing your posts in a way that reads like it’s just a bug and everything else is meaningless.
    When it’s not just a bug as the bug is a minor part of the problem.

“Ease up and think, the situation is eventually going to be okay but we can make now better by trying to stay civil and grounded.”
    You cannot know everything will be ok. Past history has me worried as the UI team doesn’t have very good track record and easing up is the worse thing we can do. We need to keep the pressure on to get this changed.

edited May 2018
    You keep writing your posts in a way that reads like it’s just a bug

Nope, that's your reading. I literally said that there was a bug (to say that it's not a point of open discussion) and that other changes were needed to address the concerns put forth in this thread.

I listed specific suggestions. You're welcome to post some as well. Coming up with constructive suggestions, rather than fixating on the emotional reactions to a problem, can help ease worry.

(Goes for the whole thread as well. Folks on this page are spiraling. Take a step back, breath, refocus, and dabble in a constructive (ie. let's look at mechanical systems to see how they can be better put together) discussion. It will help your anxiety. If that simply stands as "get rid of it" then no worries, that's been a very common point of feedback and you shouldn't feel as though it's your personal responsibility to maintain that point. The community has you covered. :) )
    Post edited by duncanidaho11 on
    Nope, that's your reading. I literally said that there was a bug (to say that it's not a point of open discussion) and that other changes were needed to address the concerns put forth in this thread.

I listed specific suggestions. You're welcome to post some as well. Coming up with constructive suggestions, rather than fixating on the emotional reactions to a problem, can help ease worry.

(Goes for the whole thread as well. Folks on this page are spiraling. Take a step back, breath, refocus, and dabble in a constructive (ie. let's look at mechanical systems to see how they can be better put together) discussion. It will help your anxiety. If that simply stands as "get rid of it" then no worries, that's been a very common point of feedback and you shouldn't feel as though it's your personal responsibility to maintain that point. The community has you covered. :) )

I'm not the least bit anxious, worried, nor fixating. Don't feel it's your personal responsibility to be the community voice of reason. The community does not have me covered. There's nothing wrong with negative feedback as long as it's kept polite.

(please fix your mis-quote above)

• baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,247 Community Moderator
    There's a lot of general complaining and off topic conspiracy talk going on that is neither civil nor constructive to providing useful feedback.

The acknowledged bug of the Landing Page popping up on each character login instead of the one time initial login seems to be the biggest gripe. Ok. It's known. They're working on it. Carrying on page after page complaining about a known issue that is being actively worked is not productive.

Beyond that, the next biggest complaint seems to be that the current information on the Landing Page is not useful. This is where feedback can be useful to suggest what information might best be displayed here. Suggestions to do away with the Landing Page entirely are not helpful.

There also appears to be some issues with the overall layout of the Landing Page and included Menu. Again, useful feedback can be provided here as well.

The general complaining, conspiracy talk, flaming/trolling comments, demands and threats to quit, are not helpful, useful, or constructive in any way, nor do they promote civil discourse. It is possible to disagree and disapprove, and even provide negative feedback without being hostile, hateful, or generally with a bad attitude. Just because Cryptic asks for feedback does not give the playerbase carte blanche to flame and troll. Forum rules still apply when providing said feedback. Keep all comments civil and constructive, otherwise they're not really adding anything to the conversation, and make finding the actual useful information much harder to find. Thank you.

zXyomef.png
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • jcswwjcsww Member Posts: 6,789 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Come on you know its more then just a bug. Even after the bug is fixed the current version is still going to be horrible and very badly designed. It needs to be 100% removed and redesigned.

I am all for it being redesigned as well. I don't want it tied into the escape key menu to switch characters and logoff, etc. However, you could add a button to that menu to pull up that window once again, if a player would like to see it a second time or read more at a later time. Other than that, I would say a simple pop up on the first login after a new patch is enough. If the next patch is a week out, then I shouldn't see the next one until I login after the next patch. If the patch is the following day and there is something relevant to show, then okay. Ideally though, once a week and only on the first login after patching is what I hope PWE decides on.

The design I would like to see simplified. A small collection of quick glance info that when clicked, would shift the window into displaying more information about what I clicked on would be nice. You know... something like a PADD interface. This is a Star Trek game after all. Maybe the team could actually get creative and literally have your character pull out a PADD on the first login and put that PADD up in view to look at (like a first person view) and review the content PWE wants us to see. Once we click to close it, it gets put away and we get to continue on our grind.

I am all for it being redesigned as well. I don't want it tied into the escape key menu to switch characters and logoff, etc. However, you could add a button to that menu to pull up that window once again, if a player would like to see it a second time or read more at a later time.

For that it seems like combining the front page of the mission journal with the landing page would be an optimum solution (if its possible without breaking the UI.) The ESC menu isn't interfered with (no translocation between log-out button and confirmation) and yet the landing page can be brought up with a single key (J) if a player needs to refer to it again. It's also placed much more intuitively (where you go to find content, as opposed to where you go when exiting it.)

Plus, it gets the calendar, events and the latest foundry spotlight (ie. other requested landing page features) in the design from the start. The other components (welcome message and the latest PVE queues and C-store items) would need to be added and things rescaled and rearranged for best effect.

Set it to pop-up by default (once per account log in) with the option to disable (like mission auto hail) in settings.