test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Romance element

124»

Comments

• sovereign010sovereign010 Member Posts: 636 Arc User
    Yes! Give our captains romance, including same - sex
    First time I read it, I thought the 3rd option read: "Yes! Give our captains romance, including some sex"! ;)

Romance between individual BOFFS might have some fun implications though. :D
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    No, Captains are married to thier ships
    OK, this thread is venturing into some questionable territory. I caution everyone to keep from getting carried away with it.
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    uliwitness wrote: »
    I definitely think that, to properly reflect the diversity of Star Trek, there should be the option of a Kirk-like buffet of spouses one after the other.

I can assure you, this is not the type of life one would like to lead. It is very difficult, with so many secrets to hide, and will make you very bitter in the end.
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    starswordc wrote: »
    Well, my Fed-Rom did kill her, but for an entirely different reason: RP-wise, Morgan (full name Morgaiah ir'Sheratan t'Thavrau) was born a noblewoman (b*stard daughter of a senator's niece) and believes very much in the old honor codes, mnhei'sahe. So discounting all other concerns, killing the Ferengi was (in her mind) an appropriate vengeance for the Ferengi trying to kill her a few minutes earlier.

The Ferengi needed killin', no doubt about that. Rihanna (my KDF-Rom) only refused to do her in because Eraun seemed intent on making a control issue out of it. Though in my head-canon, once she got back to the Alpha Quadrant she handed the Ferengi's name in to Republic Intelligence so they could help her repay the debt she owed to the Romulan people for being allowed to live.
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Oh Boy!

y7b4o.jpg​​
    Yeah really. Why would you want the devs to write a romance story when there's no way it'd apply to most characters?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • sirmaydaysirmayday Member Posts: 535 Arc User
    I may not favor a same-sex romance myself, but excluding the option would be both poor business (BioWare got reamed for it with the first two Mass Effect games) and untrue to the source material (which may go so far back as a very suggestive annotation in the novelization of The Motion Picture).

I'd like the option of pursuing some sort of romance, but only if it's well-handled, which is hard to do in a video game.
  • kiralynkiralyn Member Posts: 1,576 Arc User
    How about some real 'shipping'....

My ship/Enterprise-F

;)>:):#

(ooh, or 'doomed time-travel romance' .... Ent-F/Ent-J!)
  • duncanidaho11duncanidaho11 Member Posts: 7,867 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Yeah really. Why would you want the devs to write a romance story when there's no way it'd apply to most characters?

Because me me and JohnnySnowball are getting a little too far ahead with what you can do with Foundry optional dialog? They've got to catch up at some point. :tongue:

(And for the record, I don't think this particularly good idea for a Cryptic mission but...yeah we have kind of done this and it's not pushing any particular boundaries in video game narratives or what we've put STO through with our missions to have a flirting/romantic optional dialog path. It's just not Cryptic's style of writing [making it inconsistent at this point] or a narrative focus the main game excels at [character relationships are best specified with non-player characters].)
    Bipedal mammal and senior Foundry author.
    Notable missions: Apex [AEI], Gemini [SSF], Trident [AEI], Evolution's Smile [SSF], Transcendence
    Looking for something new to play? I've started building Foundry missions again in visual novel form!
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    Honestly I think many players already see their Boffs as a fantasy Harem anyways, I mean fun with B@@B sliders + Space Barbie and all, seriously I've never seen so many characters who look fresh from the brass pole in a video game and that is just on my ships ;p, and I've played and love Leisure Suit Larry Magna-TRIBBLE-Laude (one of my favourite games, best of the series in my controversial belief and STO weirdly reminds me of it).
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    uliwitness wrote: »
    I definitely think that, to properly reflect the diversity of Star Trek, there should be the option of a Kirk-like buffet of spouses one after the other.

Pine-Kirk might be a different story, but the original James T Kirk of TOS and the TMP films had only two spouses in the course of the entire run:

USS Enterprise NCC-1701, and USS Enterprise NCC-1701-A.

so gonna ignore Miramanee? Edith Keeler? Antonia?
    Spock.jpg

• chozoelder2ndchozoelder2nd Member Posts: 440 Arc User
    I don't see anything wrong with it. Our captains don't have voices so dialogue choices would simply be text, but that hasn't stopped other games from doing it before. Whether it's any good or not just depends on the writing of the love interests. To be honest though, if the devs were to start developing or even think about doing something like this, I think they would lean more towards non-romantic interactions and character development with boffs.

Then again, they kinda already did that with Tovan and I think most people prefer making up their own backstories for their own custom boffs, at least for the people who are more into story than game numbers and gear; I certainly do. Although I'm trying to think how much less hate Tovan would've gotten if the devs fleshed him out a bit more, made him a romance option, and gave the option to choose the character's gender.
    Also if they gave him Superior Romulan Operative and gave a free extra boff slot.
    It also sounds expensive to implement.

At the same time, if the characters are written well and there's a decent amount for the 3 primary factions, I can see it being popular given how much the featured episodes have grown in quality and popularity. A lot of people like the story content.

As for concerns about this being forced, I don't think any game with a romance mechanic has ever forced you to go along with it. If a game like that exists, I've never heard of it and that's a terrible thing to have in your game.

So I say yeah, sure.
    SP9Pu.gif
  • echattyechatty Member Posts: 5,913 Arc User
    I think this would work better the way it's already working out. Players headcanoning romantic relations. Two friends on STO creating captains to have a relationship with. Adding in pre-arranged romantic encounters/situations/flirting doesn't sound as much fun. Really, I rarely engage in the romance of the Dragon Age series that I have. If I do want to create a romance, it's through headcanon and not that prearranged stuff where certain conditions have to be met for the romance to even 'succeed'.

Leave things as they are.
    Now a LTS and loving it.
    Just because you spend money on this game, it does not entitle you to be a jerk if things don't go your way.
    I have come to the conclusion that I have a memory like Etch-A-Sketch. I shake my head and forget everything. :D
  • sthe91sthe91 Member Posts: 5,403 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    I do not want a romance element in STO but I would not be against wedding costumes for those who want them. As for the OP, I have no problem with the three options except it would make more sense if the options were set out as follows: 1) Romancing the opposite sex 2) Romancing including the same sex 3) No, Captains are married to their ships. As for people attacking people who have different ideas about romance based on a different worldview, that is wrong. Let us always have a diversity of worldviews in the world which is STO, otherwise, there will cease to be diversity and it will become conformity. I want social conservatives and SJWs to live in peace and harmony, as much as is possible. Thanks. God bless. :)
    Where there is a Will, there is a Way.
  • mustrumridcully0mustrumridcully0 Member Posts: 12,963 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Yes, my captain needs some loving
    I wouldn't mind a story line with a romance option. Risa seems like a neat place for it. I don't think I would want a whole episode or episode arc to be built around it (unless it's an Inner Light type episode perhaps?)
    Star Trek Online Advancement: You start with lowbie gear, you end with Lobi gear.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Yes, my captain needs some loving
    Wouldn't bother me at all. My main in my own canon is married to my ship's doctor.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    szerontzur wrote: »
    Only if it includes a full eugenics system

Even if largely joking, I am pretty certain you don't mean "eugenics".
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    > @xyquarze said:
    > @szerontzur wrote: »
    >
    > Only if it includes a full eugenics system
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Even if largely joking, I am pretty certain you don't mean "eugenics".

He was joking about applying it to STO, yes. But it's completely possible in Crusader Kings II to selectively breed favorable stats and traits into your character's children (which is somewhat accurately called eugenics in the fandom).
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • isthisscienceisthisscience Member Posts: 863 Arc User
    There is clearly a lot of interest in it, even though it is doubtful it could be made to work in the game. Perhaps an RP-focused fleet should capitalise on this interest and host weekly speed dating at bars across the quadrant for single captains. I bet the promo posters alone would be a good laugh.
  • baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,238 Community Moderator
    OK, I sudder to think where this thread will jump off to next. /Thread

fAKPYlv.png
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.