test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Romance element

Comments

• annemarie30annemarie30 Member Posts: 2,593 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    as was said before, I don't see a hell of a lot of backlash at the g a y partners already in several episodes. I think maybe if it was just a loyalty or morality thing. one thing that has always bugged me about several episodes is there is no backlash for your decisions. operation gamma. kill the ferengi? no problem. let her go? no problem. OP was asking about romance.. maybe some sort of REAL reputation system should be instituted. kill the ferengi? lose points with Ferengenar and gain with the Dominion. that sort of thing

edit.. really forum? censoring the word TRIBBLE???
    awkward.jpg
    We Want Vic Fontaine
  • disqord#9557 disqord Member Posts: 567 Arc User
    Honestly, I just don't care. Never have I found myself wistfully staring out into the lonely reaches of space thinking about my lover in the middle of a firefight. I've just never really thought about it because it just sounds so unnecessary and pointless.

Also, your poll is kinda poorly made too. There should just be one option for yes, and one for no, possibly one for maybe.
  • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    No, Captains are married to thier ships
    as was said before, I don't see a hell of a lot of backlash at the g a y partners already in several episodes. I think maybe if it was just a loyalty or morality thing. one thing that has always bugged me about several episodes is there is no backlash for your decisions. operation gamma. kill the ferengi? no problem. let her go? no problem. OP was asking about romance.. maybe some sort of REAL reputation system should be instituted. kill the ferengi? lose points with Ferengenar and gain with the Dominion. that sort of thing

edit.. really forum? censoring the word ****???

There should be consequences for it....at least for Feds. I can't imagine a Fed officer doing that not being forced out of Starfleet for "Conduct Unbecoming", it goes against every standard to which a Starfleet officer is held,...which is why the Feds I've run through that refuse on principle. But then my KDF-Rom and Orion refused as well, just for different reasons..even though personally they ached with the desire to strangle her to death for her treachery...they aren't prostituting their personal honor to satisfy the demands of somebody elses's slave.

Now that I think about it, I doubt D'Tan or J'mpok would have approved either, because complying displayed weakness to an adversary. I also have a hunch that complying would have caused Eraun (and his masters) to lose respect for the player....he most likely calculated that you would refuse, in short, it was a test.
  • jrdobbsjr#3264 jrdobbsjr Member Posts: 431 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    As far as the original topic goes....I don't have a problem with romance options in a game, but to be done right it needs to be baked into the original design. Adding it to a eight year old game would be a nightmare, as people would want to be able to woo the existing waifus...Tiaru Jarok, Tarsi, and LCDR Vanzant for me...so the entire story line would have to be revamped. And that could get expensive if they have to pull Sela and Mirror Leeta's actresses back into the studio to voice new dialog
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    starkaos wrote: »
    Cryptic has absolutely zero experience with this. At least SWTOR is created by Bioware which is known for adding romance into their games like Mass Effect and Dragon Age. If I remember correctly, Knights of the Old Republic had romance options in it. In order for it to work in STO, we would need more characters like Tovan Khev. Where we can't get rid of them even if we want to.

Along with Baldur's Gate, and somewhat Neverwinter Nights.
  • ichaerus1ichaerus1 Member Posts: 986 Arc User
    where2r1 wrote: »
    Uh.... Do I want a side of "romance" with my Star Trek???
    A poll I am not sure how to answer. LOL!

I can't imagine everyone's idea of "romance" runs the same, uh, course.

Silverback style. :p

With that said, STO writers(not counting some of the fine foundry mission makers) haven't shown that they've got what it takes to bring that sort of facet into this game. Especially when not every character has the same "alignment" as Admiral Johnny McShinyKnight.
  • starswordcstarswordc Member Posts: 10,963 Arc User
    edited May 2018

edit.. really forum? censoring the word ****???

There should be consequences for it....at least for Feds. I can't imagine a Fed officer doing that not being forced out of Starfleet for "Conduct Unbecoming", it goes against every standard to which a Starfleet officer is held,...which is why the Feds I've run through that refuse on principle. But then my KDF-Rom and Orion refused as well, just for different reasons..even though personally they ached with the desire to strangle her to death for her treachery...they aren't prostituting their personal honor to satisfy the demands of somebody elses's slave.

Now that I think about it, I doubt D'Tan or J'mpok would have approved either, because complying displayed weakness to an adversary. I also have a hunch that complying would have caused Eraun (and his masters) to lose respect for the player....he most likely calculated that you would refuse, in short, it was a test.

Well, my Fed-Rom did kill her, but for an entirely different reason: RP-wise, Morgan (full name Morgaiah ir'Sheratan t'Thavrau) was born a noblewoman (b*stard daughter of a senator's niece) and believes very much in the old honor codes, mnhei'sahe. So discounting all other concerns, killing the Ferengi was (in her mind) an appropriate vengeance for the Ferengi trying to kill her a few minutes earlier.
    "Great War! / And I cannot take more! / Great tour! / I keep on marching on / I play the great score / There will be no encore / Great War! / The War to End All Wars"
    — Sabaton, "Great War"
    VZ9ASdg.png

Check out https://unitedfederationofpla.net/s/
  • alcyoneserenealcyoneserene Member Posts: 2,412 Arc User
    Yes, so long as it is optional (irrelevant to gameplay) and that people can choose to avoid it or look away, perhaps with a user option that 'sanitizes all romantic events' by making such actions invisible temporarily. Therefore, win-win.
    Y945Yzx.jpg
    Devs: Provide the option to Turn OFF full screen flashes from enemy ship explosions
    · ♥ · ◦.¸¸. ◦'¯`·. (Ɏ) V A N U _ S O V E R E I G N T Y (Ɏ) .·´¯'◦.¸¸. ◦ · ♡ ·
    «» \▼/ T E R R A N ¦ R E P U B L I C \▼/ «»
    ﴾﴿ ₪ṩ ||| N A N I T E S Y S T E M S : B L A C K | O P S ||| ₪ṩ ﴾﴿
  • terranempire#7881 terranempire Member Posts: 1,222 Arc User

giphy.gif

We all know what the Klingon idea of romance is
    vQTD03D.png

So choose Yes! lol egg-41.gif

I think they had romance in star trek game before. Even had same sex and one for both sexes. Star Trek Elite? Never played it though.​​
    tumblr_p30rz12vWH1qdb2vqo6_r1_540.gif
    "Great men are not peacemakers, Great men are conquerors!" - Captain Archer"
    "When diplomacy fails, there's only one alternative - violence. Force must be applied without apology. It's the Starfleet way." - Captain Janeway
    #Support Mirror Universe I.S.S. Prefixes
  • where2r1where2r1 Member Posts: 6,054 Arc User

vQTD03D.png

​​

LOL! :smiley::wink::blush:
    "Spend your life doing strange things with weird people." -- UNK

“Tell me and I forget. Teach me and I remember. Involve me and I learn.” -- Benjamin Franklin
  • altran3301altran3301 Member Posts: 167 Arc User
    This thread ruined my life. I am going to be seeking compensation OP. You own me big time. >:-(
    tnl3Zwx.png
  • mrgardenermrgardener Member Posts: 177 Arc User
    Honestly no, would not support this idea,This would not be suitable for this game at all. This is Star trek Online, not a dating simulator.

• gonaliusgonalius Member Posts: 893 Arc User
    I think a few casual flirting lines dotted around is as far as it should go. The game doesn't track decisions as far as I know, so long term relationships are out of the question unless the player is forced into it.
  • bcstarbcstar Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    Well, if their would be a "Romantic Encounter" I would hope after the 5 minutes of fun it would bring to "Story Gameplay" That in the end the long get away is just pushing him/her out of the air lock... Or in this case A "Drift" in space through the shuttle bay doors. Case in point to anyone who ever has done all SWTOR 8 story lines and all romantic encounters with companions because it is pretty much forced for unlocks, it gets really annoying. However... iirc it isn't totally against the lore of the game I.E. Riker and Troy did get married after all....
    klingon%2Bbird%2Bof%2Bprey.jpg

"bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'"

Revenge is a Dish, Best Served Cold ~ Khan Noonien Singh
  • jonsillsjonsills Member Posts: 10,354 Arc User
    I'd rather have the Nemesis System from Champions Online.
    Second. And in exchange, something similar to the Duty Officer System added to CO. (I even wrote up a proposal for it in the forums once, a system of Contacts you could have that would do things like run down information for you - net game effect, just like here, would be a small amount of XP and maybe a little Questionite.) Sadly, I think trying to add that to CO would make the whole thing collapse worse than the first Nighthawk Alerts did... :disappointed:
    Lorna-Wing-sig.png
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    I'm not opposed to romance options in game if done right.

And in STO, it's not possible because only NPC contacts have any kind of character development that lasts more than the tutorial levels. And Tovan, but we don't talk about Tovan.

Though if the game gives me the option to date Iconian bae L'Miren, I'm not gonna complain. :P

Also, why are there 2 identical "yes" choices?
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • burstorionburstorion Member Posts: 1,750 Arc User
    STO: Mass Effect edition?
  • relicthiefrelicthief Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Personal attacks removed. — StarSword-C

si2w6.jpg
    Post edited by starswordc on
    Ancient Alien.
  • redeyedravenredeyedraven Member Posts: 1,297 Arc User
    Leave this to the RP-crowd.

Who aside from a like-minded other player would you actually date anyway? Tovan Khev, Tarsi, that other Starfleet-girl?

It's a bit of a waste of developer's time to shoehorn the option of romance with NPC's into the game...
  • nimbullnimbull Member Posts: 1,564 Arc User

giphy.gif

vQTD03D.png

I think they had romance in star trek game before. Even had same sex and one for both sexes. Star Trek Elite? Never played it though.​​

That right there screams a tribble, jumper cables, a starship battery, and a barrel of bloodwine when off duty.
    Green people don't have to be.... little.
  • xyquarzexyquarze Member Posts: 2,114 Arc User
    Don't really care and options 1 and 3 are pretty much the same.

More or less what I thought. If you say "romance option" without further specification, it includes all of that, including hot Tholian on Gekli action. (Okay, that one wouldn't include playable captains)
    My mother was an epohh and my father smelled of tulaberries
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,843 Arc User
    altran3301 wrote: »
    This thread ruined my life. I am going to be seeking compensation OP. You own me big time. >:-(

have a cookie
    Spock.jpg

• szerontzurszerontzur Member Posts: 2,723 Arc User
    Only if it includes a full eugenics system so the children of involved characters can inherit traits from both parents and I can go full Crusader Kings 2.. (like a half-Human/half-Romulan with Leadership and Superior Romulan Operative)

Add in an alternate dimension with a temporal dilation daycare like Fire Emblem so you can instantly use them as Boffs. It's not like it would be a departure from any of the arbitrary temporal mechanics suggestions currently represented in the game.

(I'm largely joking, but parts of the concept would probably be salvageable.)
  • uliwitnessuliwitness Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    Yes! Give our captains romance, including same - sex
    Yes! A hundred times yes! Give us our own Riker/Troi, Data/Tasha, Kira/Odo, Worf/Dax, Jadzia/Lenara, Crusher/Odan or Kirk/Marcus! There are so many amazing romances in Star Trek, and they're sorely missing from STO. But please also give us the ability to have multiple partners (like Kirk in the series, chasing after every skirt, being tricked by a shapeshifter, ...), and give people who do not want a romance a way to just say "no thanks".

Now, I would *love* if it was as well-integrated as in SWTOR (I'd also like if there were more references to the player's species in missions that refer to their people, and even more for KDF Klingons).

But even if it just added a bunch of missions that unlock as you play certain missions (so it doesn't require changes to missions, the new missions would just be mission rewards from other missions), that would be neat, and people who don't want a romance could just drop those missions then.

Really awesome would be if we could romance *our* BOFFs. Imagine if you could e.g. specify certain characteristics on a BOFF that we want to romance. Just checkboxes saying "maverick/law-abiding", "insecure/outgoing", "commitment-shy/marrying type/serial monogamist" and things like that, and then it picks one of several stories depending on what we chose, and maybe swaps out certain elements of that story.

Cheers,
    -- Uli
    Why? Would this be an RP element? Would it benefit my characters somehow?

Personally, I'd prefer if this was separate from the gameplay. Romance stories don't really gain anything by being optimized towards "how do I play this so I get the best gear out of it at the end."
    And how is it Star Trek? All of the Captains in the series and films are portrayed as people who are dedicated totally to their careers and their ship. Sure, they have the occasional romatic interest. Then the credits roll and the relationship is over just as fast. So how does adding romance to the game make it better?

No thanks, I'll pass on this.

Sisco has a wife and son, Odo and Kira were together for a long time, Riker and Troi got married ... how is this *not* Star Trek? And who says all the romances have to be monogamous? I definitely think that, to properly reflect the diversity of Star Trek, there should be the option of a Kirk-like buffet of spouses one after the other.
    Cheers,
    -- Uli
    edited May 2018
    uliwitness wrote: »
    I definitely think that, to properly reflect the diversity of Star Trek, there should be the option of a Kirk-like buffet of spouses one after the other.

Pine-Kirk might be a different story, but the original James T Kirk of TOS and the TMP films had only two spouses in the course of the entire run:

USS Enterprise NCC-1701, and USS Enterprise NCC-1701-A.

;-)
    Cheers,
    -- Uli
This discussion has been closed.