test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Some questions about Delta Recruit as a new player

Hello everyone,

I'm interested in playing STO on a serious level for the first time. I've played in a minor capacity in the past but never past the first few levels.

I'm wanting to enter in at an interesting time with Delta Recruit characters being available. I've done a good deal of research and learned I'd want to create at least 3 characters, one for each major none TOS faction, and play through to a certain point to unlock future rewards.

My question comes in with my idea of gameplay. See I'm one to level and experience the story in it's entirety, a completionist basically. I don't want the experience to be rushed too fast. At the same time I don't want to miss out on specific perks that the Delta Recruit offers in the long run so I'm at an impasse about proceeding. I know 'DR' characters inherently level faster but I want to know if anyone can tell me in specific language if that impacts the story, as far as difficulty in missions and mission rewards(etc), if I were to simply play ONLY a DR character. I know I can choose to skip the tutorial once it's been done on another character and simply not be a DR character but again I don't want to miss out on 'unlock' perks and playing two characters all the way to end risks definite burnout.

Should I play the DR character(I plan on being Federation as a main) or am I safe to do it the old fashion way (slow leveling doesn't bother me) because DR is really for those wanting to catch up fast or alt leveling?

Thank you for your time!

Comments

• seriousdaveseriousdave Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    Delta recruits don't level slower or faster than any other character. On the first time it was accompanied with an insane XP event which isn't the case now. You get the perk of being handed extra stuff along the way but that's about it.

As for the rewards, the important stuff can be unlocked by just 1 character.
    those are:
    the ship trait " (advanced) Temporal Insight" by beating everything before the dyson sphere arc - ACCOUNT WIDE UNLOCK
    the personal device called "Paradox Corrector" by finding all info thingies - ACCOUNT WIDE UNLOCK
    the ship device called "Temporal Negotiator" by finding all technology thingies - ACCOUNT WIDE UNLOCK
    the special duty officer "Gumarre" by reaching lvl 1 in any R&D category - character only

Everything else like finishing a specific arc is basically just fluff for a few extra credits or a bunch of reputation marks.
    By doing those you unlock account wide boxes with a bit extra dil, marks, etc. and you can get a heap of those by doing a fed, kdf and rom delta recruit. It's nice if you plan to or already have a lot of characters but if you never go beyond 3 or so then might as well forget that extra work and stick with 1 DR.

Here are two important things, the delta event goes away soon and you don't have to finish your all the tasks during the event.
    Once you play the tutorial and get the special snowflake device that character stays a delta recruit till the game shuts down for good.
    My advice would be to start a charcater of each faction & complete the tutorial to make them a DR and then play through stuff at your own leisure. If you want to make an endgame FED/KDF/ROM character you'll play through all the episodes either way 'cause thats one of the easisest ways to level up, might as well lay a good foundation for that. And if you want to roll a new character later on you then got a load of additional reward boxes full of stuff for that one if you complete a recruit on each faction. It's probably gonna be a Jem'hadar since ViL is around the corner and word on the street is that they'll als have some kind of "recruitment event" going on at launch. If the calander on the teste server is to be trusted.

Also IF they rerun the Temporal Agent event for TOS characters make that priority 1, those account wide rewards are insanely good.
  • tigerariestigeraries Member Posts: 3,492 Arc User
    all you need to do is finish the tutorial where you encounter the DR event and get your item/dohicky. Once that is done you can take all the time in the world to do your missions.

you can do 1 DR for each faction... only need to play to the end on 1 toon. But for the other 2 toons, finish up all their faction specific mission arcs. Thats it.

I dont think during this replay of the event there is any bonus xp for DRs. It's all the same as far as I can tell.

Finsh both KDF and Rom starter arc and ended up being around L10 or so. Same as previous. So no bonus XP.
  • saviorshand228saviorshand228 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Excellent! Thank you very much seriousdave and tigeraries. And thank you seriousdave for bullet-ting things in such a way that it was very concise. I'll simply play a DR character then as I see no real reason not to.

I'm glad also that I already read about the only needing to play till getting the tesseract(Marvel anyone?) item in the tutorial and then you can finish the rest later or I would have had a lot more questions about that. I already got that done on my Klingon and Romulan alt so now it's just a matter of doing the Federation one which is who I planned on playing as a main to begin with.

Thank you again to both of you for your great answers. Live long... and prosper. :smile:
  • arionisaarionisa Member Posts: 1,421 Arc User
    If you play a Romulan toon, do not log out as soon as you get the device. I tried that (a few times just to verify) and if you log immediately after getting the device, when you log back in you are again confronted with the choice to take the tutorial and be DR, or skip it. You still have the mission to attend the festival which you were given just before getting the device, however there is no way to trigger it to complete it. You also have the first tutorial mission in your log but it also doesn't trigger. You have to go all the way back to where you first start, which will then trigger the first mission of the tutorial. As you progress, you have to discard the plasma pistol you already received and claim a new one. After playing through to the point where you talk to your future self, you get no dialogue as you have already been through it, however you do get the notification...again...that you are now a Delta recruit.

Having spent way too much time verifying that this wasn't a random glitch but will always happen if you log out immediately after receiving the device (and don't immediately log back in, I always waited a while as the system might allow for getting D/Ced at that point as long as you come right back). Anyway, with all the time already spent, I just went ahead and played through until reaching the flotilla. Logging out at that point there is no problem.

BTW, I have also tested Fed and KDF. For both of those, you can log out immediately after receiving the device and even coming back a few days later it picks up right where you left off, with no problems. Only Romulans have to play beyond that point before logging out without losing their DR status.
    LTS and loving it.
    Ariotex.png
  • saviorshand228saviorshand228 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    @arionisa That' SUPER helpful, thank you! I'm glad I decided just to play through to the end of the tutorial, in case as a random bug and it turns out there was one waiting right around the corner. I made it to the flotilla and as such I'm safe but I'm super glad your post is here. I hope it can help others as well :smile:
  • sacdragonsacdragon Member Posts: 35 Arc User
    Apparently, there is another bug. I remade a KDF toon, made her pretty much exactly as she was, the only difference being the new one is a DR. Now, the bank slots I used to have are not there. Same with inventory. I have just the standard amount of both. :(
  • bcstarbcstar Member Posts: 333 Arc User
    I have just started playing again, really enjoying the game. I have made all three classes on both Fed and KDF. plus 2 Tac Rom for each side. in total after the new elite starter kit I have a total of 11 Slots all my characters *8* of them are Delta Recruits @ Levels 5-6. Basically all finished the Tutorial. So my question is should I fill my last three Slots with the DR characters? I am not sure what cap is for the amount of characters allowed but I think the perk might come in useful. just not sure what race 2 make. I have 1 Human 2 Borg 2 Klingon 2 Romulan and lastly 1 Gorn. is there any other race that is particularly useful later? I would like to cap the characters slots. I have pretty much 24/7 game time. just not sure on race. any advice would help a lot thanks!
    klingon%2Bbird%2Bof%2Bprey.jpg

"bortaS bIr jablu'DI' reH QaQqu' nay'"

Revenge is a Dish, Best Served Cold ~ Khan Noonien Singh
    Aside from romulans and their +CritH it really dosen't matter what species you pick. Aliens don't have race specific traits but they get 1 extra ground and 1 extra space trait slot.
    Aside from that, don't burn yourself out now. "Soon" ViL will launch and we'll get cardassions for FED & KDF and the jem'hadar "faction", better save some slots for that.
    Aside from romulans and their +CritH it really dosen't matter what species you pick. Aliens don't have race specific traits but they get 1 extra ground and 1 extra space trait slot.
    Aside from that, don't burn yourself out now. "Soon" ViL will launch and we'll get cardassions for FED & KDF and the jem'hadar "faction", better save some slots for that.

I was considering that, and yeah i dont want to get burnt out at all. That being said however is it possible to Min/Max Solo? or is that just for top end PvE/PvP? I dont plan to play in a fleet or a Armada. Just want to play for unlocking as much as possible story wise Dailys and Dil/Zen items, without derailing the thread would it be wise to fill those slots for the DR stuff? as for the other races My plan was to save Zen to get more character slots unlocked.

• charon83charon83 Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    sacdragon wrote: »
    Apparently, there is another bug. I remade a KDF toon, made her pretty much exactly as she was, the only difference being the new one is a DR. Now, the bank slots I used to have are not there. Same with inventory. I have just the standard amount of both. :(

If you have bought character specific stuff from the c-store than that's just it, character specific new characters won't get that. If it is an account unlock, check the c-store and reclaim the unlocks.
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,844 Arc User
    this one is trimmed down though. wasnt there awards all thoght the campaign before? this time it seems like ti stops after the breen, maybe borg arc. I think my delta is done getting the completions except for the "finish second half one
    Spock.jpg

this one is trimmed down though. wasnt there awards all thoght the campaign before? this time it seems like ti stops after the breen, maybe borg arc. I think my delta is done getting the completions except for the "finish second half one

I don't think so. Back then it finished with the breen arc too which is where you go back in time and tell yourself that you're "you" from the future and there's no ime to explain. Offscreen this time though.
    Back then the breen & borg arc had different placements in the timeline which is now is different becasue cryptic later decied to switch the beorg & and breen stuff so the story flows better into the dyson/delta events with the undine "invasion" and whatnot.
    bcstar wrote: »
    I was considering that, and yeah i dont want to get burnt out at all. That being said however is it possible to Min/Max Solo? or is that just for top end PvE/PvP? I dont plan to play in a fleet or a Armada. Just want to play for unlocking as much as possible story wise Dailys and Dil/Zen items, without derailing the thread would it be wise to fill those slots for the DR stuff? as for the other races My plan was to save Zen to get more character slots unlocked.

Aiming to Min/Max is always possible but fleet gear gives the best results. Especially stuff from the Research lab, K-13 and the colony. You don't have to necessarily be a regular member of a fleet to get that kind of stuff but you'd still need fleet credits and a fleet that invites you to their holdings to use the stores. There are fleets for exactly that kind of practice though.

Creating more that 1 DR per faction is kinda pointless though. They may get the character individual stuff again (like the extra gear every 10 levels and a hand full of marks) but you don't unlock more account wide rewards that way. Once you beat a story arc und unlock it's account reward that's it, no double or triple dipping. It's basically 1 reward box per fed arc, per KDF arc, per ROM arc and per crossfaction arc.
  • saber1973asaber1973a Member Posts: 1,224 Arc User
    When the Delta recruitment event was launched first time, there was fewer episodes - The Delta Quadrant Arc was actually the newest - just in - one (and there wasn't any Yesterday's War Arc) so of course there is fewer campaign rewards...
    charon83 wrote: »
    If you have bought character specific stuff from the c-store than that's just it, character specific new characters won't get that. If it is an account unlock, check the c-store and reclaim the unlocks.

It was account-wide unlocks. Basically what you get for paying for a month's sub. I can check the c-store but it should already be available... Thanks though! I will check it out.
    edited May 2018
    Aiming to Min/Max is always possible but fleet gear gives the best results. Especially stuff from the Research lab, K-13 and the colony. You don't have to necessarily be a regular member of a fleet to get that kind of stuff but you'd still need fleet credits and a fleet that invites you to their holdings to use the stores. There are fleets for exactly that kind of practice though.

Creating more that 1 DR per faction is kinda pointless though. They may get the character individual stuff again (like the extra gear every 10 levels and a hand full of marks) but you don't unlock more account wide rewards that way. Once you beat a story arc und unlock it's account reward that's it, no double or triple dipping. It's basically 1 reward box per fed arc, per KDF arc, per ROM arc and per crossfaction arc.

well, bling is bling. I do plan to stay playing this game for a while, I was reading on the forums that some people have 50-54 alts. I plan to get to that point eventually... but who knows if RL will take a turn for good/bad or not LOL!

Edit: since SWTOR sucks banana Ballz this game is now my best F2P game out there, and I do have a ton of time to play, plus recently quit smoking which in itself is insanely priced where I live...

As for the DR characters I hit the limit of 11. "IF" I unlock more slots it will be for the new races. =)

• charon83charon83 Member Posts: 96 Arc User
    It was account-wide unlocks. Basically what you get for paying for a month's sub. I can check the c-store but it should already be available... Thanks though! I will check it out.

in that case you're out of luck, those bonuses only unlocked for every character DURING the time you were subbed. That is why they added the new starter pack, same unlocks, just permanent and for every character any time whenever you create them without the need to be subbed.

not a bug... new toon so it starts off fresh. any bank spaces you bought are gone. they are not account unlocks but tied to character.
    bcstar wrote: »
    I have just started playing again, really enjoying the game. I have made all three classes on both Fed and KDF. plus 2 Tac Rom for each side. in total after the new elite starter kit I have a total of 11 Slots all my characters *8* of them are Delta Recruits @ Levels 5-6. Basically all finished the Tutorial. So my question is should I fill my last three Slots with the DR characters? I am not sure what cap is for the amount of characters allowed but I think the perk might come in useful. just not sure what race 2 make. I have 1 Human 2 Borg 2 Klingon 2 Romulan and lastly 1 Gorn. is there any other race that is particularly useful later? I would like to cap the characters slots. I have pretty much 24/7 game time. just not sure on race. any advice would help a lot thanks!

I would... why not. you can always choose to delete em later if needed. Also if you level them up you can claim their bonus dil/ec/fleet marks. use it for your fleet and then delete if needed.

DR are great for small fleets who need dil for projects. as long as you can invest in the time it's good. you dont even need to bother with finding all those thingies... just grind missions and levels. the iconian tech and intel you only really need to do on 1 toon to unlock the devices to be reclaimable on other toons.
    in that case you're out of luck, those bonuses only unlocked for every character DURING the time you were subbed. That is why they added the new starter pack, same unlocks, just permanent and for every character any time whenever you create them without the need to be subbed.
    tigeraries wrote: »
    not a bug... new toon so it starts off fresh. any bank spaces you bought are gone. they are not account unlocks but tied to character.

Well, TRIBBLE. Thanks for the info, though! I figured the bank slots were account-wide, and would be available, regardless. This is good to know. Wish I had known about it beforehand... LOL
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    Well, ****. Thanks for the info, though! I figured the bank slots were account-wide, and would be available, regardless. This is good to know. Wish I had known about it beforehand... LOL
    There's a new bundle pack you might want for that.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Well, ****. Thanks for the info, though! I figured the bank slots were account-wide, and would be available, regardless. This is good to know. Wish I had known about it beforehand... LOL
    The bundle doesn't give subscriber slots. Subscriber perks increased the maximum slots, the bundle doesn't. It's just the same as buying the slots separately.
  • jaguarskxjaguarskx Member Posts: 5,945 Arc User
    all you need to do is finish the tutorial where you encounter the DR event and get your item/dohicky. Once that is done you can take all the time in the world to do your missions.

You don't even have to complete all the tutorial missions to get the "dohicky". I decided to create a delta recruit on my F2P account since it was created a few months after the original DR event ran. I think it took all of 45 minutes of game play to get the "dohicky".
  • markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    The bundle doesn't give subscriber slots. Subscriber perks increased the maximum slots, the bundle doesn't. It's just the same as buying the slots separately.
    The bundle gives the slots at a discount when you consider that they're an account unlock.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg