test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

I miss ship population numbers

lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
Even if crew numbers never did anything mechanically, I miss learning how much crew new ships have, just from a lore perspective.

Does anyone else feel this way?

Comments

• bloodyrizbloodyriz Member Posts: 1,756 Arc User
    While I don't "miss" it, I also could see how others might have liked seeing it.​​
    signature.png
    We come in peace, SHOOT TO KILL!
  • legendarylycan#5411 legendarylycan Member Posts: 37,276 Arc User
    yes...it was totally useless, but the crew number itself didn't need to be removed since it made certain things way harder for me​​
    Like special weapons from other Star Trek games? Wondering if they can be replicated in STO even a little bit? Check this out: https://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1262277/a-mostly-comprehensive-guide-to-star-trek-videogame-special-weapons-and-their-sto-equivalents

#LegalizeAwoo

A normie goes "Oh, what's this?"
    An otaku goes "UwU, what's this?"
    A furry goes "OwO, what's this?"
    A werewolf goes "Awoo, what's this?"

"It's nothing personal, I just don't feel like I've gotten to know a person until I've sniffed their crotch."
    "We said 'no' to Mr. Curiosity. We're not home. Curiosity is not welcome, it is not to be invited in. Curiosity...is bad. It gets you in trouble, it gets you killed, and more importantly...it makes you poor!"
    Passion and Serenity are one.
    I gain power by understanding both.
    In the chaos of their battle, I bring order.
    I am a shadow, darkness born from light.
    The Force is united within me.
  • smooshy#7462 smooshy Member Posts: 233 Arc User
    All of my ships have an upward limit of 118 crew. (Unless I've sprung for the extra Active slots from my fleet, then it's 120.)
  • jade1280jade1280 Member Posts: 868 Arc User
    It was nice to know how many lives were lost because of utter incompetance we must truely wonder why the admiralty chose you as captain sometimes.
  • christopher082christopher082 Member Posts: 67 Arc User
    I miss crew numbers too. It helped me get a sense of how the ships stacked against each other. I believe the command cruisers have a crew of 750. I would love to know the complement of the Jupiter Carrier.
  • sevenofnine13141sevenofnine13141 Member Posts: 4,272 Arc User
    Considering the Jupiter Carrier's size and the need to maintain fighters constantly and help in carrier operations, I would assume a Jupiter carrier would have a crew ranging from 1,700 to 2,200. Pilots not included.
    | State of the Federation |
    The German Empire
    Founded 2413
    Leader: S. Raneson
    de_pr2.gif
  • warpangelwarpangel Member Posts: 9,427 Arc User
    Just make something up.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @christopher082 said:
    > I miss crew numbers too. It helped me get a sense of how the ships stacked against each other. I believe the command cruisers have a crew of 750. I would love to know the complement of the Jupiter Carrier.

Thr Jupiter camr out before the they stopped listing crew size. It was listed as 2200, about 300 less then the Oddysesy, but it doesn't include the crew of the Callistos or fighter pilots.
  • saurializardsaurializard Member Posts: 4,385 Arc User
    Crew numbers were always nice for lore purposes, especially with the oddities.

For example, the Herald Baltim Raider is about as big as a Prime Constitution-class, yet only has 25 people manning it. That could lead to various interesting hypotheses, especially with the Iconian subspace tech, like the ship actually being a huge automated drone controlled by 24 Heralds and an Iconian, safe on subspace bridges, only transporting inside to repair it or use the shuttles.
    #TASforSTO
    Iconian_Trio_sign.jpg?raw=1
  • shpoksshpoks Member Posts: 6,967 Arc User
    Yeah, I miss those numbers too, even if they did nothing. They should have kept them just for flavor when they removed the mechanic that they were supposed to represent (that never worked properly).
    As a starship buff, I liked them for lore reasons and for keeping things in perspective.
    HQroeLu.jpg
  • angrytargangrytarg Member Posts: 11,001 Arc User
    shpoks wrote: »
    Yeah, I miss those numbers too, even if they did nothing. They should have kept them just for flavor when they removed the mechanic that they were supposed to represent (that never worked properly).
    As a starship buff, I liked them for lore reasons and for keeping things in perspective.

Agreed pig-1.gif​​
    lFC4bt2.gif
    ^ Memory Alpha.org is not canon. It's a open wiki with arbitrary rules. Only what can be cited from an episode is. ^
    "No. Men do not roar. Women roar. Then they hurl heavy objects... and claw at you." -Worf, son of Mogh
    "A filthy, mangy beast, but in its bony breast beat the heart of a warrior" - "faithful" (...) "but ever-ready to follow the call of the wild." - Martok, about a Targ
    "That pig smelled horrid. A sweet-sour, extremely pungent odor. I showered and showered, and it took me a week to get rid of it!" - Robert Justman, appreciating Emmy-Lou
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    Crew numbers were removed because it was an obsolete mechanic that really didn't do anything. it would be nice to get some limited immersion in the game with crew limits, but it would have to have a useful impact to game play.

in the old days a few torpedo hits would drain the crew very quickly and absurdly they would regenerate like the borg and everyone would be at their posts again. :tongue:
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • newnjanewnja Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited April 2018
    lordgyor wrote: »
    Even if crew numbers never did anything mechanically, I miss learning how much crew new ships have, just from a lore perspective.

Does anyone else feel this way?

I feel exactly the same. I was actually sad when they removed it.
  • seaofsorrowsseaofsorrows Member Posts: 10,918 Arc User
    warpangel wrote: »
    Just make something up.

This.

Head canon FTW!
    Insert witty signature line here.
  • lordgyorlordgyor Member Posts: 2,820 Arc User
    > @mirrorchaos said:
    > Crew numbers were removed because it was an obsolete mechanic that really didn't do anything. it would be nice to get some limited immersion in the game with crew limits, but it would have to have a useful impact to game play.
    >
    > in the old days a few torpedo hits would drain the crew very quickly and absurdly they would regenerate like the borg and everyone would be at their posts again. :tongue:

You don't have to attach it to a mechanic at all, less effort. Its value is in fluff and immersion.
  • mirrorchaosmirrorchaos Member Posts: 9,844 Arc User
    lordgyor wrote: »
    > @mirrorchaos said:
    > Crew numbers were removed because it was an obsolete mechanic that really didn't do anything. it would be nice to get some limited immersion in the game with crew limits, but it would have to have a useful impact to game play.
    >
    > in the old days a few torpedo hits would drain the crew very quickly and absurdly they would regenerate like the borg and everyone would be at their posts again. :tongue:

You don't have to attach it to a mechanic at all, less effort. Its value is in fluff and immersion.

in that case there isn't any reason to bring it back. i mean having it there for the sake of having it doesn't do anything but waste developers time to put it in place.

There must be something, some reason to have to make it more than just a number on a screen which by itself doesn't do anything.
    T6 Miranda Hero Ship FTW.
    Been around since Dec 2010 on STO and bought LTS in Apr 2013 for STO.
  • talonxvtalonxv Member Posts: 4,257 Arc User
    Honestly in the old day, I considered the old crew a holographic crew for the exception of my bridge officers.
    afMSv4g.jpg
    Star Trek Battles member. Want to roll with a good group of people regardless of fleets and not have to worry about DPS while doing STFs? Come join the channel and join in the fun!

http://forum.arcgames.com/startrekonline/discussion/1145998/star-trek-battles-channel-got-canon/p1